[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lost in translation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 14263755050160.jpg (78KB, 590x775px) Image search: [Google]
14263755050160.jpg
78KB, 590x775px
First of all, im not native english speaker, and its not even my second language, so excuse me please if my grammar is off.
And i have nothing against people, no matter what are they thinking, who are they fucking with (other spiecies - do as you please), color of the skin, number of fingers and imaginary friends.
But i dont understand why LGBT is using this super strange wording - "Pride Parade".
I mean, definition of Parade - celebration.
And Pride is already already a celebration of a human being significantly BETTER than other humans.
And as i said i have nothing against the event, im just interrested why such stupid name was given?
>>
>>5543254
>And Pride is already already a celebration of a human being significantly BETTER than other humans.
no. LGBT people use the word "pride" as the opposite of the word "shame." it has nothing to do with feeling better than other people or feeling like you've done something special or unique. gay pride is about celebrating being out and open in a culture that tries to shame us. that's it.
>>
>>5543303
This. /thread.
>>
File: Sagan-weed.jpg (33KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
Sagan-weed.jpg
33KB, 500x415px
>>5543303
What? How is that "use as the opposite"? Words have meanings, words can have antonyms but its hard to make yourself clear speaking in such weired way.
I would say you are trying to hide lies that cannot be seen.
>>
>>5543380
Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two meanings. With a negative connotation pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris. With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, and a fulfilled feeling of belonging.
>>
>>5543402
Thank you kind sir, so i deliver
>>
>>5543380
yes, words do have meanings, and this is one of the more subtle meanings of the word "pride." because English is not your native language, it's understandable that you don't totally grasp it. it's a subtle concept that even native speakers have trouble understanding. but trust me, i'm not trying to hide anything, i'm not lying, and i'm not using the word in a weird way. this is the accepted meaning of gay pride. do some research into the history of of the celebration. we use the word "pride" to convey that we are not ashamed. there is no hidden meaning.
>>
>>5543444
Well ok, not trying to argue here. But im still "cant get the message" you put its so shame becomes something bad. But lol thats a very usefull for everyone who is ANY group, i mean lol life is hard you should feel bad when it fucks you. And life do it all the time and finally kills us. Thats objective reality of the world, and i dont mean "human world" - creatures always have to die
>>
>>5543510
i would respond to you but i honestly have no idea what you're trying to say lol. are you saying we should just accept that society treats us like trash? that we should agree with people who tell us we're disgusting, shameful, inhuman, etc? that we shouldn't try to feel better about ourselves? if that's your point i'm going to have to say that i agree to disagree.
>>
>>5543807
What do you mean "society threats"? Someone threated you that way? Call police then, even if its a group of people you can sue them. Whats the problem?
And i dont understand "somebody tells us" you mean like 1 person tell that to a group? Well again, you can do it legal way - police, law suite or you can just kick his ass. Yet again, i dont understand why you keep asking me questions? And use way too many things that cannot be measured anyhow, why just didnt use the "SEX DONT HAVE SEX"?
Ok ill try to put it that way, what are you trying to achieve by such dificult explanation of a two word slogan/phrase which you invented to deliver a message to society. Im part of the society, i dont get the message lol.
>>
in this case "pride" does not mean "superiority". you can feel pride, and express pride, without being a braggart or putting others down. it isn't intended to raise gay people above straight people. it isn't about straight people at all. pride parades exist to increase gay peoples' confidence, show them they are not alone, to show that gay people do exist in the community. some people don't like to admit that there are lgbt people in their neighborhoods, schools, workplaces, and even families. they talk shit about us and say there are hardly any of us around, that lgbt people aren't important, that we are trash or crazy or criminals or whatever. actually, they just don't see us around them, because we don't stand out in our daily lives. they don't know that, and they don't want to know, and they have no real reason to seek us out, especially if they think we are bad people. pride parades show the community that lgbt people exist, and show lgbt people that they are not alone. sometimes businesses and community institutions will show their support at pride parades... maybe if they accept lgbt people as employees, or offer equal services to lgbt couples even though the law doesn't force them to, etc.

pride parades are not about lgbt supremacy or any kind of militant crap. don't worry. it isn't about you and it isn't about hating you.

for straight people looking for a new experience, they can go to a pride event and wonder who around them is lgbt. maybe you're the minority there. maybe not. it's hard to tell sometimes, right? might be interesting.

personally I don't like parades. I don't like thick crowds and rowdy people. but if other people like to go to them and not feel alone, that's cool
>>
>>5543990
>What do you mean "society threats"?
i said TREATS, not threats.

>Well again, you can do it legal way - police, law suite or you can just kick his ass.
okay, so i'm supposed to travel around the country suing and kicking the asses of politicians, pastors, community leaders, movie producers, etc? when LGBT people talk about being discriminated and belittled, we're not just talking about individual instances not of violence and harassment. we're talking about systemic marginalization. we're talking about decades upon decades of insidious societal messaging that paints us as disgusting, shameful, embarrassing, etc.

>why just didnt use the "SEX DONT HAVE SEX"?
i'm sorry, but i honestly do not understand what you're trying to say.

>what are you trying to achieve by such dificult explanation of a two word slogan/phrase which you invented to deliver a message to society.
hey man, i didn't make up the phrase. i'm just explaining what it means. gay pride == "i'm not ashamed of being gay."
>>
>>5543380
welcome to SJWism. words don't mean what they mean, they mean what we say they mean
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.