[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>listening to Hozier >"I hate this song, anon, it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

>listening to Hozier
>"I hate this song, anon, it's so Christian and cheesy"
>"actually, it's about a very real topic"
>"really? What is it about? "
>"er... The music video's about a gay couple getting persecuted"
>silence
FML. And, let's try interpreting the *lyrics* of Take Me To Church ITT.
>>
Are you an idiot? That's already been done. There's nothing to discuss.
>>
>>5493110
mind giving me the results of the debate?
>>
>>5492865
which Hozier song are you talking about?
>>
>>5494749 take me to church
>>
File: roof.jpg (33KB, 274x320px) Image search: [Google]
roof.jpg
33KB, 274x320px
>take me 2 church
>>
>>5492865
It's not exactly a complicated song, are you honestly saying that it's nonsensical or what? It's pretty obviously some gay shit and that's not even from the music video.

I'm probably getting trolled. Oh well.

>My lover's got humour
>She's the giggle at a funeral
>Knows everybody's disapproval
This is establishing the personality of the girl. She's a 3edgy5u punk that people look down upon.

>I should've worshipped her sooner
>If the Heavens ever did speak
>She is the last true mouthpiece
In this line the singer is connecting his interactions with this girl to the divine. This girl is so good, so powerful, affects him so strongly, she's godlike. Mouthpiece of the heavens. He worships her.

>Every Sunday's getting more bleak
>A fresh poison each week
>"We were born sick," you heard them say it
People in literal, Christian church say that the singer and his lover are inherently twisted for some unspecified reason. The sermons in general are like poison to him.

>My church offers no absolutes
>She tells me 'worship in the bedroom'
>The only heaven I'll be sent to
>Is when I'm alone with you
Going back to how the girl is divine, the singer goes on to say that the sex with her is like a church service because it's so powerful, amazing, etc. No moral judgements like in real church.

>I was born sick, but I love it
>Command me to be well
>Amen. Amen. Amen
Singer acknowledges that he's twisted, says being twisted is actually great, wants to have more sex. Keeps comparing his relationship to Christianity with the Amen-ing himself.
>>
>>5496592
>Take me to church
>Offer me that deathless death
>Good God, let me give you my life
Orgasms are called the "little death" in classic lit. Singer is going on about the sex == religious service thing.

>If I'm a pagan of the good times
>My lover's the sunlight
>To keep the Goddess on my side
>She demands a sacrifice
More of my lover is god, the sex is divine, etc. He's putting himself with all the sex at odds with Christianity despite being divine by comparing himself to a pagan that performs ritual sacrifices. For some reason the sex opposes Christianity. I wonder why.

>That's a fine looking high horse
>What you got in the stable?
>We've a lot of starving faithful
Unlike Christianity, their relationship demands sacrifices to survive. The singer accuses the Christian masses of being arrogant and says he'll take their pride as a sacrifice.

>No masters or kings when the ritual begins
God and social mores is ded, only sex. (the ritual is sex)

>There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
>In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene
>Only then I am human
>Only then I am clean
>Amen. Amen. Amen
This is the crux of the song--the singer is saying that the sex purifies him and is a crucial part of the human experience in ways that traditional religion is not.

It's pretty fucking gay, as gay as he could get while still using str8 pronouns. This shit doesn't even make sense if you think of it as describing a het relationship.
>>
>>5496455
>>5494955

nice dub combo
>>
>>5486787

I interpreted as the church frowning apon his lover being trans, shes feminine, but a sin.

That or I'm applying myself wayyyyy to much to this song
>>
File: lam.jpg (111KB, 543x850px) Image search: [Google]
lam.jpg
111KB, 543x850px
>Born sick, commanded to be well
Is a reference to something Christopher Hitchens said about Christianity and it's view on sin in general. The song is critical or organized religion, made clear also by lines such as:
>That's a fine looking high horse
>What you got in the stable?
>We've a lot of starving faithful
And, of course, made very clear in the chorus:
>shrine of your lies

But for me personally, as a pagan (thelemite, specifically), I also get a strongly pagan vibe from the song.
>My church offers no absolution
>She tells me 'worship in the bedroom'
This part reminds me of sex magick, or the practice of sacred sexuality, found among many traditions. Sex as either being divine or a pathway to it. "Work, & be our bed in working!" as Liber AL states. Also, no concept of sin to be absolved from.

>If I'm a pagan of the good times
>My lover's the sunlight
Almost plainy stated, and speaks to me as a worshipper of the Sun, and a pagan of the "good" rather than "old" times.

>To keep the Goddness on my side
>She demands a sacrifice
>Drain the whole sea
As it is written in Liber Cheth, in reference to Our Lady (Babalon, the Great Mother): "Thou shalt drain out thy blood that is thy life into the golden cup of her fornication. Thou shalt mingle thy life with the universal life. Thou shalt keep not back one drop."

>No masters or kings when the ritual begins
>There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
Specific reference to rituals that hint at the involvement of sex. A lack of hierarchy in ritual proceedings is common to several pagan traditions.

>Only then I am human
>Only then I am clean
This reminds me of a specific initiation, but verily that is secret and I can speak no more of it among unbelievers.
>>
>>5496596
>Offer me that deathless death
>Orgasms are called the "little death" in classic lit. Singer is going on about the sex == religious service thing.

Indeed, and also known as that to those who speak french. But, "death" is also used as code in texts dealing with sexual magic:

>Thrill with the joy of life & death! Ah! thy death shall be lovely: whososeeth it shall be glad. Thy death shall be the seal of the promise of our age long love. Come! lift up thine heart & rejoice! We are one; we are none. Hold! Hold! Bear up in thy rapture; fall not in swoon of the excellent kisses! Harder! Hold up thyself! Lift thine head! breathe not so deep -- die!
[From Liber AL again]
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.