[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Does anyone here feel like they don't...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: sexy.jpg (700 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sexy.jpg
700 KB, 1280x1707
Does anyone here feel like they don't need or want more than 5-10 guns? I'll see people who have 30+ on arsenal threads, but for the life of me I just don't think I'd ever buy that many.
It's not that I don't think someone shouldn't buy as many guns as they want, it's just not what I'd do.
>>
>>28882069

I'm that way. I want to shoot everything that was ever invented to fire. But owning them? Not so much. I don't fault anyone else for having a nice collection, but I like to keep mine to guns I use regularly.
>>
File: image.jpg (377 KB, 610x813) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
377 KB, 610x813
>>28882069
>need
>>
It's called a collection.

I only need to drive around a Honda Fit, but I own 6 cars. I only need to carry a small handgun for self defense, or have one rifle for game but I have over 30. I only need a small Opinel knife to slice boxes open, but I have 15 knives.
>>
>>28882136
I actually do have a massive knife collection, but even that I'm pruning. I found that when I wanted a new gun or knife, and then got that gun or knife, I would only want the next one and I wasn't ever satisfied ever. It was stressful. I'm aware that people like to have volume, but I was wondering if any other /k/ommandos felt as I did.
>>
>>28882069
I don't want or need more than one gun. Just ye olde Mossy 500 for home defense.
>>
>>28882069
I know that feel. I have 7 guns, the most recent of which is an AK74 that I built, and I'm hesitant to build another AK because I'm afraid that I'd almost never use the one I already built or vice-versa. Same with building another AR. I want to build a block I clone, but I'm afraid I'd never shoot it or never shoot the one that I already have. I'd be afraid to play favorites with stuff.
>>
>>28882069
I started as nogunz, bought a rifle, sold it because laid off, got a decent job with benefits, and slowly built up to my current collection of 2 rifles, one pump shotgun, and one pistol.

I have difficulty rationalizing any other purchases. Just today I was told of a likely awesome buy, and I can likely buy it, but I passed because I already have filled the role that the "new" gun would have taken.
>>
I felt like that about knives. And then I got bored of my EDC and bought a new one. And a new one. Now I have a rotation.

Maybe I'l do the same with guns, who know? Right now I cant afford that many though
>>
>>28882069
every time I buy one I need 3 more

>>28882136
this
I have 3 cars and 2 bikes, I mainly drive one
I have 20 some knives, I mainly carry one
I have 14 guns,I only carry 2
>>
>tfw love all kinds of guns
>wouldn't be able to live without 30+
>own almost 3 dozen and still missing large chunks of desired guns
>will probably be content with 70ish one day

OP, you're kinda lucky in a financial way.
>>
I would love to own many guns, but unfortunately money and space are an issue.

I can either buy new guns or buy ammo to shoot them, not both. So sometimes I go months without being able to afford ammo because I'm saving for a gun.

Right now I have 13 guns, but I think I will stop for a bit and just buy ammo, maybe next year I will buy new stuff.
>>
>>28882069
I can understand having a bunch of guns. I like getting different types of actions and guns with different purposes and some for historical value. What confuses me is the people who have 20 different AKs from every slav shit Warsaw Pact country to ever exist. I'd rather have just one AK and then put some money into customizing it exactly how I want. Same with other stuff; I have one bolt action, I don't need a Mauser and a nugget and all the other stuff, just one bolt action set up to my preference.
>>
yeah i have a hunting rifle, two handguns, shotgun, and an ar15. its all i need/want
>>
>>28882136
>It's called a collection.

No dude it's called autism.

Buying shit for the sake of having a bunch of it? Yep that's fucking autism, congrats, you're a sperg.
>>
I have a battery of guns, not a collection. They're for use rather than display or owning, each should have a purpose.

I really love beautiful and classic guns but I can enjoy them just as much when someone else owns them.
>>
>>28882069
I understand where you're coming from.

I have a carry gun, a shotgun for bird season, a .22 rifle for plinking, and an (lol) Hi-Point carbine in .45 for the home.

While I understand collections and such, I just don't collect guns. But for those who do, I encourage them to continue to and I hope that they'll invite me to shoot with them.
>>
>>28882470
GOT HIM. NICE ONE BRO
>>
>>28882069
You only "need" a couple guns depending on what you're planning on using them for. A carry, combat, depending on where you are a bear pistol. 22, shotgun, 556/x39, and your hunting rifle if you plan on getting anything more than deers/hogs

I have a friend that literally has 20 of the exact same AR and he's never satisfied. That "need" truly baffles me.

>>28882161
I ended up forking over some cash for a couple customs/high end productions that I truly wanted. I honestly can say I'm quite content with what I have. I'd kill to have Skelton's Bodega but I would never pay $800 for a production folder.

Nothing quite beats a custom knife from small makers.
>>
>>28882470
STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE
>>
>>28882593
I dont think I could ever go full custom
I just bought a microtech and I think that might be my high end knife spending limit

so worth it though
>>
>>28882069
If I were rich, I'd buy 100+ AR-15s, with simunition bolts and ammo.
I'd buy a huge chunk of land, and create milsim games, with old armored vehicles. I'd rent the ARs and sell the ammo. (I'd GPS-tag the ARs so they don't get stolen and I can track players)

I'd also create my very own squad to play with every day, with top-tier equipment, and rekt other players on the battlefield.
>>
>>28882733
Autism:the post
>>
File: image.jpg (225 KB, 544x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
225 KB, 544x500
statistically, if I have more guns, I use less of the same ammo every range trip, so me buying more guns is a means of conservation and being a jew, not wanting to spend all my money on the same kinds of ammo
>>
My problem is that I really enjoy building or working on them. Of course I like going to the range and practicing too so the balance between having enough ammo or buying tools/parts is an issue. Then there's guns that I want just cause they're neat. Over the years of doing all this, my friggin safe is just about crammed. I still shoot everything I own, and eventually I'll pare thing down to a more reasonable level.
>>
>>28882777
Fuck you, triplets.

Keep shooting at paper while being static.
>>
>>28882470
Found the bitter poorfag
>>
File: 1454258516673.jpg (231 KB, 700x525) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454258516673.jpg
231 KB, 700x525
>>28882069
It is a fair statement op and you aren't saying that NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED to own >9,000 guns so not much to disagree with.

I can only really see myself regularly shooting ~10 guns also, anything past that would be collecting for the sake of collecting (ww2 rifles/handguns from the major belligerents, things like a ps90 for shits n' giggles).

It is almost understandable how arfags with 10+ near identical rifles without historic significance get to that point ("Well I got this new acog, might as well get an upper to go with it instead of switching it on and off the one I already have, and a new lower is only $150 more so...").
I think it is kind of stupid however it sounds like two heaping scoops of not my fucking business.
>>
I need guns that shoot differently
1 ar15
1 semi automatic in 7.62x39
1 full size 9
USP tactical in 45
1 compact 9
1 12 guage
1 .22 rifle
1 .22 pistol
1 308 precision rifle

I have the .22s, my AR, my pump shotgun. I have a 30-06 bolt gun, but thatll be replaced for precision rifle
>>
>>28882733
Airsoft>siminution. Cheaper, less messy, just as good for force on force
>>
>>28882069
>Does anyone here feel like they don't need or want more than 5-10 guns?
I have 14, but I'd be perfectly happy with 8 of my current firearms(all long guns) without buying another one, plus the pellet rifle I use all the time and a muzzleloader strictly for durr season.
I need about 10 guns just to shoot all the calibers I really want to shoot since I'm a bit of a ballistics junkie and have lots of farm scrap and junk to test different things on.
But it doesn't mean I won't drop cash on some more because I just want one for the collection. I've just reached the point where it's not always on my mind because I have what I want. Everything else is just icing on the cake from this point forward.
>>
>>28882069
>Needing to justify being poor

It's okay, Anon, we can't all be winners.
>>
>>28882069
I am this way. Just went down to 2 long guns, plus my mossy 500. I only want 1 rifle caliber. makes shit so much easier. I do have a bunch of handguns though
>>
>>28882069
I asked the same question to /k/ a few years ago, and the one answer that stuck with me other than all the >need answers as one anon that said 'I don't want to own a lot of guns, but there are a lot of guns I want to own'
>>
>>28882197
> Dindu breaks in
> you defend your home
> gun gets confiscated
> dindus friends come for revenge
> no weapon
> die
>>
If I lived a more settled life with a big family, I might like a big collection. Probably multiples of things so I could gift and trade and make sure every kid in the family got their first rifle.

For myself alone, I already have a problem with hoarding tools and equipment for work, so taking up more space with guns I can only shoot once a week would be wasteful.
>>
File: brady5.png (311 KB, 800x586) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
brady5.png
311 KB, 800x586
>>28882069
You are mentally ill, my friend. Get well soon. There are needs and wants to be fufilled.

You NEED a Scattergun. You NEED an intermediate cartrige rifle. You NEED a handgun and you NEED a sporting rifle.

You NEED a handgun for the simple versitility of being able to defend yourself in a small package capable of being hidden anywhere on the body.

You NEED an intermediate cartrige rifle. Why? Because everybody fucking else has them. Ammo and gear is widely available.

You NEED a sporting rifle for ranged targets, hunting or should the need arise - and I hate using this word... "sniping."

You NEED a shotgun for hunting, deer, bird, maybe bear. For home defense and for shiggles. Shotshell is pretty damn cheap.

Lastly, you NEED a .22lr for varment and small game hunting, for shiggles and for training.

After this? You NEED every other gun in the entire world because there's no such thing as enough gun.

But needs and wants are not a concern. Nobody really NEEDS this stuff, and some people don't WANT this stuff... but is it the Bill of Needs? The Bill of Wants? Or the Bill of RIGHTS that allows us the capability to bare arms if we need or want?
>>
>>28883150
With the wrong cops or the wrong city, your whole collection could get scooped up as evidence...
>>
My modern guns are more like that. I have a couple of different modern pistols and rifles. I try to make sure each either fills a particular role/style or at least set them up differently.

For odd ball and historical pieces I basically just collect them. I have a couple (Type 99, Enfield, Mauser) I just don't shoot often because the design, differences, history, etc fascinate me. The fact that I only shoot them occasionally doesn't affect my enjoyment of their procurement. I like finding old ones and doing project guns too. Have a stack of Yugo Mausers missing bolts that are becoming build projects, a M16A1 kit build, finding old parlor gun examples etc.
>>
>>28882069

I agree OP.

I own a Mossie 12 gauge, an AK, a Sako 85, and two Glock 19s.

Anything else from my perspective would be fetishism. You are all, of course, welcome to your own pursuits.
>>
>>28883289

Oh, and a 10/22. Obviously.
>>
>>28883021
Airsoft = CODkids
No thanks, I wanna burn patches all day long without someone shooting me in the back like a pussy.
>>
>>28882161
How did you shrink yr knife collection?
>>
>>28882069

I have a couple ARs, a shotgun, some milsurp. I would like an AK or two. Maybe some more milsurp.

Need to catch up on my handgun game, would like to have a nice 1911, a wondernine, a FNX-45 Tac, a carry piece.

Eventually I would like a levergun and a revolver in a matched cartridge for shiggles. Maybe an AR15 SBR and a can.


My point being is that this is a hobby for the most part, and I don't over think it. If I have my bases covered I think about what I would be getting the new piece for. If it would be a toy or otherwise. I don't mind owning a lot of toys.

Eventually I want to reload too.


TL;DR If you are happy with your 5 guns or 10 guns, then be happy with them. If you are happy with 30-70 guns, then be happy with them.
>>
Its not that I want to own a massive amount of guns, there are huat a lot of guns that I want. I find myself appreciating them for different reasons, be it aesthetics, history, oddball caliber, brand loyalty, anything.

Guns are interesting, and I look st them much like a musician looks at different instruments, or any enthusiast of any hobby enjoys what they enjoy.
>>
>>28883051
Why would you assume I'm poor? That would be like me assuming your dick is small by this post.

I mean it probably is, but I'm sure thats entirely coincidental.
>>
>>28883220
Oh, and for the mean time the money goes into ammo and accessories. Investing in cans, lights, optics, as the next major purchases. Need a holster or two as well.
>>
>>28883406
Sold them. Brand name knives sell fast on ebay when you drop their typical msrp by $10-$15.
>>
>>28883485
OP here. That's a good answer and what I figured about the type of people who own a lot.
>>
>>28882069
I wish I only wanted 5-10 guns.

I would say the biggest mistake I've made in the gun world was letting my collection grow as large as it has. I say with some shame that I have more unfired guns than actually fired.

It starts innocently enough. You want a good handgun, then maybe a compact CCW gun. Then an 870 for HD.

But, maybe a 308 bolt gun would be fun too.

Then you stumble across a killer deal on a Ruger Vaquero, and you just can't let it slip by.

Then, you start thinking that maybe a compact revolver would be better for front pocket carry, so you pick one up. Of course, if you use it, the cops will take it, so you better have a second, ya know just in case.

Oh look, another Vaquero, and at a great price. Hmmm... double cowboy guns? How could you say no to that idea?

A friend suggests you go skeet shooting, so you go and have a blast. I better get my own skeet gun. Guess whose still unfired 7 years later?

Hmm...gun grabbers getting fiesty, maybe I'll private purchase a good 9mm, just in case. I better look for a private seller unloading a revolver too, because 38/357 is pretty common.

Huh? PSA does a 2 for 1 lower deal at Christmas? Ok, why not? I mean, I know guy who makes barrels, I bet I could get a bunch of parts cheap...and I did.

Throw in a couple of years, and getting that killer job that pays good money, well now you are sitting on 90 guns, and you wonder how the fuck you did that...
>>
>>28882972
>It is almost understandable how arfags with 10+ near identical rifles without historic significance get to that point ("Well I got this new acog, might as well get an upper to go with it instead of switching it on and off the one I already have, and a new lower is only $150 more so...").

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!
>>
>>28884287
This is all too accurate.

My collection is growing at an astronomical rate. Last year, I had five guns. This year I have 25. The problem is they aren't cheap guns either, I'm talking about bullpups, $3k ARs, rare/exotic collector's pieces, etc. All of this isn't even including optics.

I really, REALLY need to stop buying so many guns. I wish it was easy to suppress my desire to own more. To be clear, I'm not talking about more of the same. I always buy something different and unique.
>>
>>28884344
What kills me is that I am fundamentally cheap. I know that most of my guns are just toys, so I have a hard time justifying a single expensive purchase.

I am much more likely to buy a $1000 gun for $700, than by a $2000 gun. I've been very lucky, but I know how fucking retarded I am to have 7 frankengun AR's, when I could just have 3 Daniel Defense.

When $1000 isn't a threat to your household budget, it's too easy to start stacking up impulse purchases.
>>
File: BergmanSimplex.jpg (142 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
BergmanSimplex.jpg
142 KB, 1600x960
>Does anyone here feel like they don't need or want more than 5-10 guns?

Collectors gonna collect.
I buy tools because they are neat and I might use some of them only once or twice. Sometimes I might never use it I just have it in case something specific breaks.
My guns are kind of the same category as my tools. I buy some just because they have a cool mechanism or feature. Some are even 100+ years old and are cool for historic value. Only a few of them get regular use. A very few get sold/traded.

At least it's better than buying a new set of drivers and a putter every year or two for golf. Brother-in-Law spends more money on clubs with less resale value than I spend on guns.
>>
File: bruh.png (657 KB, 1024x651) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bruh.png
657 KB, 1024x651
>>28882069
I listed out all the guns I ever wanted to considered getting and it toped of to 34, so yes I do feel a bit embarrassed by it.
Ii can easily trim it down but then I feel why do that? Its my money and why not have some fun? But im a terrible impulse buyer anyhow. I once went out to get groceries and came home with a boat
>>
>>28882593
>>28882069 (OP)

That "need" is in everyone. Your friend uses AR's, but people do it with sex, money, cars, guitars, etc. There are always rationalizations about these collections being investments, or serving some sort of purpose, but at the end of the day, they were purchased to make people feel better about themselves.

Basically, there is some hole were trying to fill (some would say God, or self-esteem, or Love, I dunno).

It's why women amass shoes.

What's so tricky, is that seeing your own is fairly tricky. Most of the time, an emotional pain triggers it. I have lost count of how many times I bought a gun to "feel better". Maybe you've heard the expression "retail therapy"?

Anyway, it doesn't work, because it doesn't address the real issue. However, it's almost universal in people.
>>
>>28884456
>When $1000 isn't a threat to your household budget, it's too easy to start stacking up impulse purchases.
Exactly.

I've actually made a list of guns I intend to buy, then I'll stop because I have "everything" I want. The problem is I'm always thinking of more to buy. Here's my list as of right now.

>SCAR 17
>FS2000 Tactical (to go with my FS2000 standard)
>M1 Garand
>SPAS 12
>Finish building three of my ARs
>AKM of somesort
>M107
>SL8

That's right around $20k worth of guns on my immediate want list; my current collection has a value of right around $50k. I need to stop.
>>
>>28884685
Forgot to add, part of me justifies purchasing all of this stuff as, "It will last a lifetime, and it might be banned soon so better get it now!" I'm not panic buying by any means, but it's my excuse for picking up a lot of my guns.

>>28884607
10/10 post right here, although some people genuinely do like certain subject matters. Trying to fill a hole isn't the only reason people buy stuff or collect things.
>>
I like to collect them, some I plan go never shoot. They will appreciate in value and I'm a gun addict anyway lol. I have a lot more than 30 and plan to keep buying
>>
>>28884712
Agreed, not all buying is self esteem based, but I really should just speak for myself.

I realized I had a pattern of going to the gunshop to blow off steam when I was pissed at work, and often ended up buying something. While I have decent taste in guns, I would be mad that I didn't apply the funds to a bigger project, but it occurred to me that during the transaction, I wasn't pissed about work.

When I saw the pattern in me, I started seeing it in others.
>>
>>28883540
So we're both right, I see nothing wrong with that.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
Thread DB ID: 519501



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.