So /k/ you have been given $34 billion to rebuild the Royal Canadian Navy, what do you pick.
- German/Portugal Type 209 : $550 million
- German Type 212 : $525 million
- German Type 214 : $500 million
- German/Israeli Dolphin : $635 million
- French/Spain Scorpene : $825 million
- Sweden Gotland : $365 million
- Russian Improved Kilo : $350 million
5000+ tons Cruisers/Destroyers:
- US DDG 1000 class: 6,3 $ billion for the first two; 2,7 $ billion for the 3rd ship.
- US Arleigh Burke Flight III: +/- 2/2,4 $ billion.
- US Arleigh Burke class: 1,8 $ billion.
- UK Daring DDG: 976 $ million.
- Franco-Italo FREMM: 745 $ million.
- Spanish F-100 Bazan: 600 $ million.
- Spanish F-105 Cristobal Colomb: 954 $ million.
- Dutch De Zeven Provincien: 532 $ million.
- Danish Absalon: 269 $ million.
- Danish Iver-Huitfeldt: 332 $ million.
- German Type 124: 1,06 $ billion.
3000/4000 tons Corvettes/OPV/Frigates:
- US Bertholf cutter: 641 $ million.
- US LCS Freedom: 637 $ million.
- US LCS Independance: 704 $ million.
- Norwegian "Nansen": 557 $ million.
- South African Valour Meko 200A: 327 $ million.
- Paskistani F-22P: 200 $ million.
1000/2500 tons Corvettes/OPV
- Dutch "Holland": 169 $ million.
- German Braunschweig K-130 :$309 million
- Turkish Milgem : $250 million
- Malaysian Kedah : $300 million
- Omani Khareef : $262 million
- UAE Baynunah : $137 million
- UAE Falaj 2 : $136 million
- UK Clyde : $47,000,000
- Danish Knud Rasmussen : $50 million
- Spanish BAM : $116 million
- New Zealand Otago : $62.6 million
- Trinidad & Tobago Port of Spain : $76 million
- UK River $31,400,000
- South Africa Sarah Baartman/ Damen 8313 : $20 million
- Sentinel : $47 million
- Indonesian/Moroccan Sigma : $222 million
- Sweden Visby : $184 million
Fast Attack Craft:
- Egypt/USA Ambassador MK III : $325 million
- Cyclone patrol craft : $31 million
- Finnish Hamina : $101 million
- New-Zealand Rotoiti : $25 million
- Norwegian Skjold : $133.5 million
- US M80 Stiletto : $6 million
Amphibious ships (LHD):
- US America LHA-6: $3.05 billion
- Australian Canberra : $1.3 billion
- Spanish Juan Carlos : $490 million- US Makin Island LHD-8 : $2.2 billion
- French Mistral : $529.8 million
- US San Antonio : $1.76 billion
- Chinese Kunlan Shan : $300 million
- General Frank S. Besson LSV-$32 million
- Indonesia KRI Dr. Soeharso : $50 million
- UK Bay : $228 million
- Singapore Endurance : $142 million
- Dutch Johan de Witt : $370 million
- US Lewis and Clark (T-AKE)-$538 million
- Spanish Patino (AOR) : $288 million
- German Type 702 Berlin (AOR) : $445 million
- US Sea Fighter FSF 1 : $200 million
- USNS Howard O. Lorenzen (T-AGM-25) : $199 million
- UK Wave Knight Auxiliary Oiler : $172 million
- US Joint High Speed Vessel (JHSV) : $160 million
- New-Zealand MRV Canterbury : $124 million
all submarines and transport ships. Subs are autonomous while surface fleets need heavy support to be effective. With surface combat ships you can lose almost all of your fleet very quickly if you don't know what you're doing.
adding a few more
FAST ATTACK CRAFT
Ambassador MK III (Egypt/USA)-$325 million
Cyclone patrol craft-$31 million
Hamina (Finland)-$101 million
Rotoiti (New Zealand)-$25 million
Skjold (Norway)-$133.5 million
M80 Stiletto-$6 million
The KDXIII: 923 million
adding CV, CVN, SSBN and SSN
- US 100 000+ tons CVN 79: 10,4 $ billion.
- US 100 000+ tons CVN 78: 11,5 $ billion.
- US 100 000+ tons CVN 77: 6,26 $ billion.
- UK 60 000 tons Queen Elizabeth (with catapults): 7 £ billion (both).
- UK 60 000 tons Queen Elizabeth (SVTOL): 5,2 £ billion (both).
- France 40 000 tons Charles de Gaulles: 3,7 $ billion.
- Italian 37 000 tons Cavour: 2 $ billion (1,5 € billion).
- Indian 40 000 tons"Vikrant": 762 $ million.
- Japanese 15 000 tons "Hyuga": 1,06 $ billion.
- French "Le Terrible" : $3.8 billion
- US SSBN(X) Ohio : $7 billion (est.)
- US Virginia SSN-$2.4 billion
- UK Astute SSN: $2,410 million
- French Barracuda :$1.35 billion
I'm only gonna go on things that are actually orderable at the moment.
Type 26 is the patently obvious frigate replacement. It checks every single box the navy needs on their requirements and has huge modular ability for the future to stay relevant as things go on.
Get some Hollande class OPVs for lighter roles, have them licence built in Canada. (Ideally with at least some of the Type 26s)
Outside of that, Canberra classes from Spain (I think it's their original design?) to get F-35Bs onto in a small carrier role. It'll be light, nothing on the Frogs, Burgers or Bongs, but it's something to kick off with and gets some amphibious back into it.
For subs I'd go with the Type 214.
For logistics, see if we can join the UKs new MARS SSS program, as it also has amphibious benefits.
None of that is "too" outrageous given the solid budget given to regenerate old capability and expand current ones to be a solid navy again.
One german type 214
One Dutch Holland
3 Sea Fighters
And finally two San antonios
In total because I'm drunk and i can't count is
9 Billion six hundred and twenty six thousand
It's already been shown as being capable to mount other radars. So it's certainly possible. Although APAR and Smart-L together is a bit needless for that sort of escort. Thats moving into high end AAW territory, more akin to a Type 45, De Zeven or Saschen.
However, as pic related shows, you could certainly build a Type 26 into one.
2 America Class (LHA-6) [6.1b]
12 type 45's [11.712b]
2 Astute [4.82b]
2 Type 702 [890m]
4 Nansens [2.228b]
10 Hollands [1.69b]
6 Dolphins [3.81b]
15 Skjold [1.995b]
Spend the rest on maintenance+aircraft for the LHA.
30 Gotlands 10.95b
5 Iver-Huitfeldt 1.66b
15 Visby. 2.76
25 Cyclone .775b
2 Juan Carlos .98b+
4 General Frank S. Besson LSV.12b
1 US Lewis and Clark .538b
4 Wave Knight .688b
3 Flight III Burkes 6.6b
25 F35B 3.75b
10 V22 .72b
6 E-767 3.6b
4 KC-767 .58b
Total of 27.111b.
Remainder is to be spent on expendables and training.
Honestly this is the third most powerful navy in the world, pretty good for what amounts to a coastal defense force.
Yes, I've got stealth fighters on carriers, landing craft, and fleet oilers for coastal defense, the Canadian Arctic is desolate enough that they are necessary.
the gotlands are a complete waste of money, maybe 10 max
3 burkes are barley enough to defend against a AShM swarm attack+ your expeditionary force cant split up.
also way to many different classes of PBs
Just buy 3 dozen "amphibious assault ships".
Flight deck for operating choppers & F-35B's, 50-60 VLS for whatever, room for 500-1000 troops per ship
Harden the nose so it can break ice up to whatever thickness develops in the north.
That's all we need.
If you could get the US to strip much of the 5th generation stuff out of the America class ships, so we could buy them for ~1 billion each.
Something like that.
Everything the US navy is buying has ballooned in cost, thats the whole ~fith generation~ thing.
Dnno if it'll be worth its value.
You guys better get the ball rolling on something or Weedman will give all your cash to rapefugees.
Why would Canada be fighting russia? The Cold war ended 25 years ago
More likely that Canada will fall apart soon enough, Trudeau already insists canada has no national identity, 1/3rd of the population are recent non-white immigrants, etc.
Fighting is the wrong word, but Russia will be (and probably is) active in Canadian territorial waters, and it is in Canada's interest to be able to deny them that.
If you guys crumble, the pieces should apply for statehood.
Canadian liberalism is different than Californian liberalism. Plus odds are they wouldn't get the right to vote for a while anyways.
And it would be a good way to upset the two party apple cart.
MEKO 400 / F125
Really like this design desu.
That isn't really a welfare state problem so much as a kleptocracy problem.
The main political trend of the last 40 years or so has been to replace the welfare state created by the progressives in the first half of the 20th century with a new Gilded Age.
The majority of political issues that the proles pay attention to (gay marriage, abortion, identity politics) are intended to distract them from this consolidation of power.
Welfare is a kleptocracy symptom.
Gotta buy them votes!