[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 23

File: image.jpg (366KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 1600x1200px
Peacetime a shit edition

...Anonymous
/meg/ Miltary Enlistment Gener(...)
01/21/16(Thu)03:10:39 No.28629122
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor. Just keep it contained to this general you cocks.
>>
It's not too late to just have a Genghis thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 459x221px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 459x221px
>Tfw I fucked up the OP

Forgive me Genghis
>>
>>28648764
lel, bet you didn't score higher than a 80 on your ASVAB
>>
Enlisting in Australian Army on 15th of march. As a APC crewman. I can run 3km with 16kg back pack in 15 mins. Level 9 in beep test. Can do pushups, sit ups and chin ups for days...how fucked am i?
>>
>>28648814
>92

I hate mobile, iPhone fucking shits
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
135 KB
135 KB JPG
MEPS story time.

I am 26, went to MEPS on Thurdsay this week.

My group consisted of about 15 regular army dudes,one CG one AF (female), a reservist, and myself- the lone National Guardsman.

They were all 18 or 19 and we're all incredibly immature. But the worst was one kid who decided to wear, and I shit you not, a Call of Duty T-shirt. Complete with a wispy teenage beard and glasses, he fit the bill for the cowadooty kid. He wanted to be a Ranger and was hopeful for 11X Op.40 contract. He was tubby, I kinda felt bad for the kid.

He and a few others were present when I took the ASVAB. They remembered me from that. They were all talking scores and that made me feel even worse. One was proud of his 68 AFQT.
>>
I'm visiting my friends at their university tomorrow.
They want to do mushrooms, and I'm somewhat interested but I'm worried about potential repercussions later on.
Would taking shrooms tomorrow night affect my plan to join the military in four years?
>>
File: image.jpg (145KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145KB, 500x281px
>>28648859
95 here.

What were your line scores? GT etc.
>>
>>28648890
Yes.
Anything you put in your body is theoretically traceable. Don't be a fucking retard.
>>
>>28648950
Alright, that's all I needed to hear.
Military before anything else desu
>>
>>28648902
Can't remember off the top of my head, but my GT was 127
>>
>>28648814
>>28648859
>>28648902
Those are your percentile scores.

All that matters are your line scores.

Quit being fags.

>>28648874
How are you a 25A if you've only been to MEPS this week?
>>
>>28648989

New program For OCS candidates where you branch before you go to OCS. I think it's only open to the guard, but you pick your career and ship. You do basic through BOLC in one clear shot, instead of branching after OCS, going to your first unit, and then BOLC within 24mo.

So I have appx. 9 months of active duty pay and training to look forward to.
>>
>>28648950>>28648950
>Anything you put in your body is theoretically traceable
That is patently false desu
>>
>>28649034
hello fellow biochemfag
>>
>>28649079
hey buddy, you still in school or done?
>>
>>28649025
That's not new, the guard regularly sends dudes to basic/OCS with a specific branch in mind. I was in basic in 2008 with dudes who knew their branch because they were guard.

I'm talking about namefagging with any MOS other than 09sissy or whatever OCS candidate is.
>>
>>28649118
nah i finished im just waiting on OCS right now so i could chuck my degree in the trash where it belongs
>>
>>28649146
>>28649146
>so i could chuck my degree in the trash where it belongs
lel, yeah. I graduate next spring, I'm taking like 18 hours a semester so I can just be done with it. I got the college for free so I may as well otherwise I'd just quit. Where'd you go? UT Austin fag here
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 709x765px
>>28649122

True, I'm technically 09S, but I even have my "planned" unit after I graduate. The slot and description of the position are also in my file.

I'll put my regular tag back on. Only using the 25 to see if there are any other signals fags out there.

Also going to Ft. Jackson, then Benning, then Gordon. Benning is in the middle of the summer. I am dead.
>>
>>28649174
UM
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>28649260
>go bucks
>michiscum

jk bud I love all my biochem friends
>>
File: 1449604951388.jpg (77KB, 696x763px) Image search: [Google]
1449604951388.jpg
77KB, 696x763px
>>28649282
wrong one
>>
>>28648977
>>28648859

holy shit are you me? exact same scores

what branch and job senpai
>>
>>28649307
Anything's better than michishit
>>
>>28649034
Should I get my bachelors in bio chem if I want to be a PA later on
>>
>>28649377
Army, 68w

You?
>>
File: 1451622083992.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1451622083992.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>28649455

You would have to go back to get your bachelors as a PA anyways. The accreditation for being a PA requires that as your degree.

http://www.nccpa.net/pance-eligibility

http://arc-pa.org/acc_programs/
>>
>>28649486

Army 68W...

inb4 airborne or opt40
>>
Is anyone in the National Guard or Reserves?

Care to comment on it? I have a full time job and I kind of want a little something on the side, maybe some innafield time or training of sorts.
>>
Any navy/marine pilots here?
What do you think of being a naval aviator?
What do you think of air force pilots and vice versa?
>>
>>28649455
Biochem is a good route for those wanting to go into medical fields. More chemistry than biology but you can still focus on the macro-ish stuff through electives. Course you gotta take some stuff that won't really help you in med school but I think its better than a plain biology degree.
>>
>>28649034
so do you think 1g of shrooms will be detectable 4 years down the line?
>>
>>28649549
I'm in the National Guard. Gotta get up and get ready for drill in 5 hours so I won't be hanging along for very long. I can try to answer some questions if you got 'em. I'm just a private though so don't take it for gospel.
>>
File: trees-high-l.png (60KB, 1500x939px) Image search: [Google]
trees-high-l.png
60KB, 1500x939px
>>28649641
Absolutely not. But don't bother with 1g. 7 or bust
>>
>>28649656
Well, I'm almost 28, so how's that for too old? I have a master's degree and quite a bit of IT experience, I suppose. What's your general take on your time in the NG? What sort of duties can NG perform?
>>
Is studying aerospace engineering going to help me as a pilot?
>>
>>28649529
;)

I know it's kind of a meme job now but damn I just wanna be a Ranger medic;_;
>>
>>28649678
I'm 26 and just signed up for 6 years in my states guard.

You're not too old.
>>
>>28649718
so do it pussy
>>
>>28649718

...same

When you going to basic?
>>
>>28649718
Do it you fucking pussy. I'm training to cross train into PJ. Don't let people shit on your dreams.
>>
>>28649576

The only officers that shitpost on /k/ are the ones us enlisted hated the most.

You're probably not gonna get an answer from one, and if you do I wouldn't trust it.

You're in the wrong place.
>>
>>28649726
Can you go into a little more detail on what you do and what the general schedule is like? Pay? Bullshit? Worth it?
>>
>>28649764
Well that's too bad.
What do you mean by they are the ones the enlisted hated the most?
>>
>>28649757
Noice nigga. What's your routine? I'm doing SL5x5 3x weeks, with two endurance days(one running one swimming/rowing) and an explosives day(jumping sprints etc
>>
>>28649678
28 isn't too old. Oldest I met in IET was 32 or 33 he was better at PT than most of the teenagers.
I haven't been in for too long, I kind of miss Basic/AIT honestly. I really like my unit honestly I prefer doing the military thing more than the civilian stuff kind of why I miss IET. Duties kind of depend a lot on your MOS cause that sort of decides where you get placed the Army / National Guard does practically everything.
>>
>>28649757

what do you mean cross train into PJ?
>>
>>28649731
>>28649756
>>28649757
Fuck yeah, I'm gonna do it

I leave to basic in May.
>>
File: image.jpg (221KB, 1274x710px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221KB, 1274x710px
>>28649778

Depends if you're going officer of enlisted. 2016 pay scales are available online.

Every state is going to be different. I'm NY and have my schedule for this year despite being in BCT/OCS/BOLC for the rest of 2016 after march.

But essentially it boils down to 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer.

From what others guardsman and active guys have told me, expect pic related
>>
>>28649834
I swim/water confidence twice a week, run once a week, weight train three times and body weight twice a week. It's good shit, my friend was a PJ washout so he's been helping me along.
>>
>>28649865
Cross train as in I'm already in the air force, I'm a maintainer for AFSOC so I see operators pretty often, shits inspiring.
>>
File: 1433604103975.jpg (67KB, 800x734px) Image search: [Google]
1433604103975.jpg
67KB, 800x734px
>>28649811

>What do you mean by they are the ones the enlisted hated the most?

I'm going to assume you are on the younger side. I'm not gonna do the whole I'm an oldfag you newfag bit...

But have you notice 4chan users tend to be anti-social, and typically degenerates?

Well if a man (trans-gender-pansexual panda bear) can make it through college, get a commission, and still posts on a hermaphrodite dating website he is probably fucked in the head also, just has slightly above average intelligence.

In all my years here the only people who claimed to be officers said enlisted people were inferior to them and they were total badass shit don't stink. Which means they were legit or 15.

I was a grunt, but our aviation officer was up his own ass.

Im not a robot.
>>
>>28649963
Ah okay that makes sense.
God, I don't want to be that guy.
I wouldn't consider myself superior if I was an Officer, I simply took a different path in life.
Are all officers generally disliked by enlisted in the military?
Or just the ones who think their shit don't stink?
>>
>>28649849
I'm not fit, but I'm also not unhealthy, if anything I'm too skinny. Are the MOSs assigned based on tests like with regular, active duty soldiers?

I know I can google all of this or just ask, but, eh, better to chat with bros about it.

>>28649915
Looks right up my alley then.

Do you have issues with work letting you take all that time off, though?
>>
>>28649939

Oh cool, is it something you can put a packet in for or do you have to wait until your re-enlistment time comes up?

>>28649907

I leave late February, if the timing works out we'll be at the schoolhouse at the same time.

>/k/ goes to the SOCM stories soon
>>
>>28650012
My LTs are awesome, they actually care about what we do. They even go out of their way to learn about what we do and try to understand our perspective of things.
>>
Currently an engineer in the AF if anyone wants to go the POG route.

>>28649939

I'm trying to cross into ALO, know how you feel seeing operators do cool shit.
>>
>>28650045
At the three year mark of an enlistment in eligible to chose an AFSC with an open position and go to the technical training for it. Some are competitive and a package does help but with special operations They pretty much send you to INDOC once they see you want to do it.
>>
>>28650052
Well that's a relief.
I want to make my time as an Officer a learning experience, and I think the best people to learn from would be the enlisted gents.
Thanks man
>>
>>28649907
I would get a bag of disposable pens, like bic. I went through a bunch of the things.
>>28649778
What kind of job are you interested in like MOS wise? A lot of the time you might not even do things related to your MOS that's just the Army if they need a pair of hands for something it doesn't really matter what your job is.
>>28650023
Yeah you might want to look up physical fitness standards for your age, at 28 should be something like 17 minute 2 mile, 50+ish pushups and situps. If you're considering it start working on cardio the Army is big on running and it's the hardest one to maintain in my opinion but PT is different for everyone. You get your MOS selection from ASVAB it breaks down a few different areas. You go through training with regular Army/Reserves/National Guard. If you fail at AIT they can move you to another MOS though some have a higher washout rate like fail one or two tests and your reassigned to a new MOS some let you restart a few times.
>>
>>28650085
Yeah man, just treat your troops like equals but remember customs and courtesis, show interest in their jobs and lives, ask them to show you what they do, throw them a barbecue or something, it's a huge morale booster knowing your leadership gives a shit about you.
>>
>>28649695
No. Engineering degrees make very little difference when it comes to pilot slots.
>>
>>28650023
From my incredibly recent experience they are assigned on your AFQT line scores, combined with the needs of the state. Some states are overstrength in some MOS's so they'll be closed to you.

Then you need to factor in if you're colorblind or have any other medical issues that could DQ you from certain jobs.
>>
>>28650121
But would it help with concepts learned in pilot training?
>>
>>28648713
>that quote
What a fucking faggot. A faggot for all the eternity.
>>
>>28650012

I only had 2 or 3 that were shithot. They knew how to lead men.

Captain Bartles should be the commandant of the Muhreen corps. But I doubt even he has the patience for that red tape.

It's a fundamental respect. I'd follow him into hell, but he'd offer to go in first.

Get my drift?
>>
>>28650108
>What kind of job are you interested in like MOS wise?
Unsure, probably something tech related, but I still would like to get some range time and pew pew time in.

>Yeah you might want to look up physical fitness standards for your age, at 28 should be something like 17 minute 2 mile, 50+ish pushups and situps

I'll just ask some recruiter, I suppose. I can do the run, but 50+ pushups would probably break me right now.

>>28650138
>Then you need to factor in if you're colorblind or have any other medical issues that could DQ you from certain jobs.

I have some pretty wicked color blindness and mild scoliosis. Probably get fucked over by that.
>>
>>28650138
Yeah that too. MP's are over strength pretty much everywhere I hear. Stuff that is under
strength can have a sign up bonus.
>>28650023
Oh yeah I forgot, for day to day stuff. Truthfully as a private about 85-90% of my job is trying not to break stuff.
>>
>>28650172
Crystal clear haha
>>
Any 27d that can give me a no bullshit breif on what its like? I did a sloppy google seach and all i could find were vids from the military
>>
>>28650157
Parts of it, but pilots can get a degree in aeronautical science instead which cuts out most of the upper level math and physics and only goes through the more practical and important stuff that pilots should be concerned with.
>>
>>28650216
Hmm that's interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks
>>
>>28650177
>>Then you need to factor in if you're colorblind or have any other medical issues that could DQ you from certain jobs.
>I have some pretty wicked color blindness and mild scoliosis. Probably get fucked over by that.
I don't think either of those automatically disqualifies. One of my uncles that was in the Army had color blindness.
Field stuff, actually done a bit of that so far. Rifle qualification is usually twice a year I like the range, but if you sign up you should probably know shooting is a very small portion a lot of it is preparation and clean up which is practically a given for most everything you do. Land navigation I forget how often that is suppose to be but you have to re-qualify on reading a map and using a compass, expect a conversation about Jessica Lynch whenever a map gets mentioned.
>>
I've looked through the sites that list the kinds of positions in each of the branches, but I'm finding it hard to narrow down what I'm interested in doing. Just so I have something in particular to look into, what are some "good" (entirely subjective, I know) jobs in the military? Any branch.

I'm not looking to operate, or for something glamorous, or for good civilian prospects. Just something relatively low-stress and not incredibly mentally taxing.
>>
>>28650495

sounds like you have no goals in life

what's wrong man?
>>
>>28650511
My goal is to, at least temporarily, escape from my current life of minimum wage drudgery, even if that means switching to a different form of drudgery, and then afterwards use the G.I. Bill to pay for college.

That being said, I would like to enjoy my service time to some extent, which means choosing a job that doesn't make me regret getting out of bed every morning. As I said, I've looked at the descriptions for plenty of positions, but I feel like those descriptions don't give me enough of an idea of whether it's a good job or not. I really just want some particular positions to look into so that I can do some more focused research.
>>
>>28650495
You're going to need to give us at least a ballpark of your interests. There's a lot of good jobs in the military. I've met lots of people who absolutely love jobs that I would hate.
>>
File: 1449201569489.jpg (76KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449201569489.jpg
76KB, 960x720px
I'm going to sound like a fag here but I want to join the Kurdish forces in Iraq/Syria. A cursory Google search doesn't turn up much of anything. I want to volunteer to fight I'm considering selling the house.
I know it's not the standard fare but if someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>28651332
they have a recruitment page on facebook
>>
>>28651356
Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>28651356
lel. link?
>>
>>28651332
What... in the fuck....
>>
>>28648713
I'm airman in training right now for a national guard job I don't want to do. Found out during basic I really want to go active, definitely a combat role. Asvab is 91, anyone know what's open to me? Like how the fuck to stop being a maintainer now and quit wasting my time with these simpltons? Also have another concern I'll post later.
>>
>>28649695
In the AF what you actually have a degree in barely makes a difference, if at all. We're in a deficit for pilots
>>
>>28648713
What are some fun jobs in the Navy/Army?
Like, actually fun.
>>
>>28651402
Horses fell through the ice and froze to death
>>
>>28649641
fuck no

I'd say 2 weeks is the period of time where any drugs get flushed out

Just get in all your drug use a month or two before you sign anything
>>
File: 82nd Airborne.gif (465KB, 1000x2273px) Image search: [Google]
82nd Airborne.gif
465KB, 1000x2273px
Anyone know about joining Army Airborne? Worth it or nah?
>>
I have a question kind of >>28649695 related. I'm interested in 153A, but I heard that most of the candidates selected either have degrees or are already enlisted. Is that true? If I want to be a pilot should I get a degree? Should I train at a civilian flight school for seat time before applying?
>>
>>28651332

Me too, friend. I can't wait to be on the front again.

T-1 year, and counting.
>>
>>28651390
>>28651398

Look up Lions of Rojava
>>
>>28652521

Enlisting doesn't really give you much of a leg up. They want flight/leadership experience and demonstrated aptitude.

If you want to fly, your best bet is to apply to WOFT as a civilian, getting a civvy pilot's license if you have to.
>>
>>28652801
what are the street to seat requirements?
>>
>>28652801
I have an engineering degree and a private pilot license, will it be easy to get to be a pilot?
>>
>>28652482
>Anyone know about joining Army Airborne? Worth it or nah?

Not really. The US doesn't do massed combat drops anymore. The Airborne Division is basically like any other division, except with Jump School.

You get a cool badge. That's neat. You can tell civilians you were a paratooper, which is also pretty cool.
>>
Just curious what the normal career options are after going sub nuke? I commission in May, and plan on doing 5 and out. I'll have a B.S. in Computer Science.

Is my best bet just working for some nuclear powerplant?

Is there any way for sub officers to transition into the intel field? Does the CIA ever recruit sub officers?
>>
>>28654770
>Is my best bet just working for some nuclear powerplant?

Pretty much. Steady hours and 90k a year isn't the greatest, but it's nothing to sneer at either.
>>
i read that the army is axing almost 60k people, why are they still letting people enlist? why wouldn't they keep the people they have?

also, the base near my house is doing a lot more "practice/ drills" (?), is this a sign that they are preparing to deploy or does this shit just happen sometimes? the past week has been constant p-p-p-puh and house shaking explosions
>>
>>28648890
>in four years?
It won't matter. Plus mushrooms are good for you. Everyone could benefit from opening their mind a little and they help with that.

Mushrooms and cocaine are the only drugs worth doing.
>>
>>28655121
>i read that the army is axing almost 60k people, why are they still letting people enlist? why wouldn't they keep the people they have?

There is still going to be turnover. People come and go all the time. They are also still allowing people to enlist in positions that need filling and not in MOS that are overfull. Plus, every army needs privates. If they stopped allowing people to enlist, then promotions would only happen when someone leaves. Lots of those Privates and PFCs would leave once they realized their prospects for gaining rank were nil.
>>
>>28655121

The best way to cut down on numbers is to fire a bunch of mid-career guys (10-15 years in) before they hit retirement, that's a huge savings. You don't stop recruiting, you just make the standards higher so you get better recruits. Remember that half the force one-contract dudes anyways, those guys are constantly coming and going.

Also, they're axing people in certain jobs and increasing recruitment for others. Cutting down positions in jobs like infantry and grabbing everyone they can for drone/cyberwarfare/intelligence. That's just the nature of modern war.

>also, the base near my house is doing a lot more "practice/ drills" (?), is this a sign that they are preparing to deploy or does this shit just happen sometimes? the past week has been constant p-p-p-puh and house shaking explosions

Probably just hit the part of their training cycle when they're doing more shit, it happens. Pre-deployment training would usually mean rolling out to a training center (nowhere near you).
>>
>>28655289
cool, I'm thinking intel anyway

and it sounds like a fucking warzone here, i feel bad for the locals of a training center (if there are any)
>>
>>28648890

Just make sure you admit your drug use on any clearance paperwork.
>>
>>28655317

There is a reason the National Training Center is literally in the middle of the SoCal desert with nothing around for hundreds of miles.
>>
>>28655340
china lake? i used to live there, it fucking sucked
>>
>>28655364

It's like 40 minutes from Barstow, but the same environment.
>>
>>28655418
you're right, equally bad
>>
File: 1212_french4.jpg (456KB, 1000x918px) Image search: [Google]
1212_french4.jpg
456KB, 1000x918px
Any Legionfags around this thread?
>>
>>28655583
>>28652798
here you go faggot, use the catalog.

>and you're not really going to join
>>
File: Obersturmbannführer Manson.jpg (7KB, 235x279px) Image search: [Google]
Obersturmbannführer Manson.jpg
7KB, 235x279px
>>28655623
>don't come to the MEG looking for info on enlisting
>>
>>28655652
>yeah, but you really wont, though.
>>
i have that stupid slipknot song stuck in my head all week because of this thread
>>
>>28655806
that's unfortunate.

>sounds like you're DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS
>does it remind you of the sound when BODIES HIT THE FLOOR
>maybe you DONT LIKE THE DRUGS BUT THE DRUGS LIKE ME

last one was a shoutout to that edgy FFL fag
>>
>>28655806
>>28655834
guiz don't post stuff like this plz, 13F might get even more depressed
>>
>>28655865
>implying we're not actively trying to reduce government spending/waste
>>
>>28655834
>>28655865
desu is down but i always forget we have a native archiver now
>>28618572
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fVE8kSM43I
>>
>>28655891
who still listens to this shit? seriously.

>you have to be 18 to post on this site and/or join the military
>>
>>28655933

you have pretty high standards for 18 year olds
>>
>>28655933
i dunno, i used to listen to it in high school and thrat comment made me look it up again
>>
>>28655950
>>28655946
there's so much good music out there, and you waste time on edgy 14 year old music.

>i bet you enjoy korn, icp, godsmack and limp bizkit as well
>>
>>28655933
You only have to be 17 to join the military.
>>
File: 1427788852240.jpg (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1427788852240.jpg
1MB, 900x900px
>>28655982
i dont listen to that music anymore get it in your head holy hell
>>
>>28655991
>AKKCHUALLLLY
>>
>>28656005
i guess we really are all just STARS NOW IN THE DOPE SHOW
>>
Been out of college almost a year now. Majored in biology with the original intent of becoming a doctor. But I had to put grad school off for a year or so for personal reasons and the longer I'm out of school, the less sure I am about being a doctor.

Can anyone help me out with my initial armed forces research? Just which branch or job I should start looking into as a jumping off point?
>>
>>28656063
sure i can help
you got any general interests? what do you want/not want to do?
enlist as e3/e4 or go officer?
>>
>>28649549
>maybe some innafield time or training of sorts.

I'm going to be honest with you right now famm.

Most of your time is going to be spent sitting around in a shitty office ducking details/working parties for stupid shit while leadership has monthly planning meetings, does admin shit (counseling statements, UCMJ, personnel actions etc.), inventories, takes care of their own personal shit like "online classes" (basically stupid check the box shit like level 1 Anti Terrorism or level 1 SERE which sound way cooler than they actually are).

And then fit PT and meals into that.

You'll go to the range once a year, you'll get 12 rounds to zero (because you'll never draw the same weapon twice), and then you'll shoot 40 rounds, very likely using the alternate qual 25m paper target, and if you just suck absolute dick you'll get another 40.

If you're an officer or SNCO and rate a rat shit, falling apart M9, you might get lucky and do the pistol qual.

And 2 weeks a year you'll go into the unit to do your job/sit around/run errands so you can get your AT time and have a "good year".

If you are lucky and pick a decent MOS like MI you'll go to classes and shit, and may go to classes and courses on orders outside of your AT time. And now that GWOT has slowed down you probably won't be as likely to get deployed and get actual experience doing your job.

That's it.
>>
>>28656083
Sounds to me like "active duty or nothin"

Cause that scenario, is nightmarish.
>>
>>28650023
>Do you have issues with work letting you take all that time off, though?

I'm surprised someone hasn't come along to shout USERRA at you.

But yeah you can get dicked by an employer for taking off time for drill and AT.

Where it is really bad is when you are looking for a new job, some employers won't hire you if you have a reserve/guard obligation.

Everyone business wants to ride the latest wave of 'Merica Fuck Yeah, but not when it cuts into the bottom line.
>>
>>28656124

People think that the Guard/Reserves will let them do cool military shit without having to deal with all the boring day-to-day of doing it full time.

The reality is that you just spend 100 % of your couple days a month catching up on the mandatory powerpoint training and other bullshit that active duty spreads throughout the whole month. You end up having zero time to actually do anything beyond that.

Instead of being consolidated military awesomeness, you just get all the worst parts of being in the military with none of the upsides.
>>
>>28656124

Active duty is the same shit just you don't get to go home.

If the military really was the coolest, most fun shit where you just got to get cool training and shoot guns all day (outside of SOF/SF), do you think they'd have to make all those bad ass commercials where they make it look like every MOS is "Infantry but with __"?

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret enlisting. In fact it lead me to what ended up being my calling outside of the military.

But it's not exactly what the commercials, movies, and slick pamphlets make it seem like.

Because really, do you think anyone would join the reserve or guard if the commercial was literally a junior enlisted reading what I typed up there instead of some skinny skeltal nerd working in a cubicle getting to go shoot guns and be a bad ass once a month?
>>
>>28656073
I'd definitely go in as an officer. I was sort of interested in logistics, but then I head that it was a lot of yelling at people on the phone. I really think I just want something where I sit at a desk and fill out spreadsheets all day, honestly. I'm thinking military because with a degree in biology, I would not get very far doing that work at all in the civilian world.
>>
>>28656231
>>28656231
got an idea for a branch? would you rather work in logistics or intel or supply or what?
>>
>>28656281
Air Force is what I was leaning towards, but I don't have a strong attachment. Logistics, supply, even something like accounting or human resources would be fun. I worked at Whole Foods during college and did the training to be the 'payments and benefits specialist' in case a position opened up and I really enjoyed that. Maybe intel, but I'm more interested in the behind the scenes stuff. Like how the military itself works, not making it fight better, if I'm making sense.

I'm just starting my research now and thought asking you guys would be a good jumping off point before I start REALLY seriously considering it.
>>
>>28656364
what was your GPA
OTS is bretty competitive
>>
>>28656396
3.3 Just enough to graduate with honors. Good enough to get into A medical school, not good enough to get into a fantastic one.
>>
>>28656421
3.3 is honors? and good enough for med school? hmm
got any leadershit stuff
iirc the AF is looking for a 3.5+ GPA but your major is stem so that helps even if it is bio
>>
>>28656434
Yeah, most grad schools only require 3+, depending on your MCAT/GRE/LSAT scores. And 3.3 is the exact minimum for honors. Leadership wise, I was president of the largest club on campus 2/4 years if that's what you mean. But nothing really job or certification wise.
>>
File: 18hgrnhor0f63jpg.jpg (68KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
18hgrnhor0f63jpg.jpg
68KB, 800x449px
I legit feel so sorry for you guys signing up these days. To see combat you guys are either having to sign up for special operations (which a lot of you seem VERY over optimistic about making it into) or are just hoping for the slim chance some new cool unforeseen out of nowhere conflict happens to send you overseas as a big conventional force.

Not knocking you all for happening to be born when you were, but man, when I joined there was pretty much a 100% of deploying and people were more talking about how many deployments and what theater they wanted, and not about scrounging around to get something at all.
>>
>>28656496
oh fuck off dude
i dont want to watch that clone wars show again fuck its so good
>>
>>28656496
On the other hand, it's a great time to be someone like me who joined the military to work in an office.
>>
>>28656555
this
>>
>>28656190
>they make it look like every MOS is "Infantry but with __"?

lol, they make every MOS look like "SOF but with ____". If the commercials showed what infantry actually was no one would sign up for it.
>>
File: Jabiim-SWCW.jpg (109KB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
Jabiim-SWCW.jpg
109KB, 720x406px
>>28656593
>>28656555
I don't understand not wanting to deploy. Even as an office geek, the idea that your dream is not to have a rugged multiday beard, weapon with a zip-tied flashlight, and stories about using anti-tank weapons on enemy personnel baffles me.

Even my unit's commo and admin people got in on a little bit of fighting by gunning turrets on convoys.

I just feel bad that you guys are likely looking at entire careers suffering the officious bullshit that made me decide to bail at the tail end of my enlistment.
>>
>>28656647
not everybody is you, Rambo. thank you for your service
>>
>>28656455
>>28656455
>And 3.3 is the exact minimum for honors.
but that was just at your school no?
anyway that helps having leadership experience and your gpa and degree is decently competitive for AF
im sure its more competitive for the other branches, but i dont think army or muhreens guarantee you a specific job
>>
>>28656647
>I don't understand not wanting to deploy.

For most people the reality is unpalatable.

So

>Deploy to OIF/OEF
>Go on patrols every day, get shot at hit with IEDs, never really see who did it
>Sometimes you see who did it, get to shoot at them
>Go home everyone says you're a war hero

Or

>Get deployed
>Sit in trailer or SCIF all day, or in motor pool/hanger
>Biggest stress is Green Bean power being out so you can't get your twice daily frappacuino and bear claw
>Go home, people call you a war hero
>>
>>28656702
#2, please
>>
File: Chigurh.jpg (158KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
Chigurh.jpg
158KB, 500x365px
>>28656647
well he does have a point. Imagine if no one attacked anyone...what would be the point of not only this thread but all the world's private and non private military?
>>
>>28656656
Sweet meme, bruh.

Being honest that looking forward to how peacetime military is run is baffling. There is so much nonsense (and it gets spread all around form combat arms guys to admin guys) that just makes daily life in garrison an unnecessary grind. Increasingly weird PT, more and more time fillers like uniform and barracks inspections, all hands calls to walk around and pick up trash, more and power life draining powerpoints, and more abstracted and unnecessarily convoluted field training. No matter your job, that stuff creeps into your military life. With the focus of deployment on the unit leader's minds, so much of that goes away and you are freed to do more of whatever your real job is, and get more practical training and gear regulations.

I guess there really is no way to explain the unnecessary stress and bs of peacetime military life and training.

Just popped into post muh feels to the lines of people looking to get in and do operating who are just born at the wrong time.
>>
>>28656647
Different strokes for different folks. I got to work on products as an E3-E4 that influenced foreign policy and global strategy. I get to hang out with incredibly smart civilians and learn from them. I get to apply myself to complex problems and achieve real-world results.

To me, that's all infinitely more satisfying than jumping out of airplanes or getting into firefights.
>>
>>28656747
aint memin on ya, bruh. not everyone wants to be that guy. and the ones that DO want to be that guy, might have a worse time without the boring ol' office people.
>>
>>28656670
>but that was just at your school no?
I honestly have no idea if that's how it works or if accredited schools all have the same requirements.

Either way, thanks a lot. Any specific job titles I should look into so I'm not going completely blind when/if i talk to a recruiter?
>>
>>28656747
Wanna know a secret?

Garrison military mostly sucks for those who need to deploy to work.

For those of us with jobs that work in the states anyways, it just means we can spend more time in the office since all the combat arms guys can take care of post maintenance.
>>
>>28656794
you want intel? go to the AF site and check out the AF jobs i dont know much about hte AF ones, im sure someone else here does
>>
is that navy special warfare program pretty easy to follow? seems decent enough and id rather get ready for basic than just doing some weightlifting like i have done
>>
>>28652482
im in the 82nd, its not all that great. its only great knowing that youre better than everyone else in the army
>>
>>28657494
bragg?
>>
>>28657494
>its only great knowing that youre better than everyone else in the army
>This is what the 82nd actually believes

You know everybody else laughs at you for being mototards who think you're some kind of special ops unit, yet doing damn near everything the hard and stupid way right?
>>
>>28656757
This.

And I had to learn that this was more important than me personally getting to live my FPS Cowadoody dreams of operating operationally by deploying and actually working intel.

And it turns out I liked it.
>>
>>28656647
You describe everything I want and more. But I was prescribed adderal before so I'm basically screwed in trying to be operator.
>>
File: tumblr_mozxuzznsm1qf47bgo1_1280.jpg (61KB, 650x468px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mozxuzznsm1qf47bgo1_1280.jpg
61KB, 650x468px
>>28656647
>Why are there some people that have different interests than me?

Why are there some people that like spiders? Idk man, some people are just fucking weird
>>
>>28658129
>prescribed adderal before
no you werent
>>
>>28658176
>TFW I have two pet tarantulas.
>>
>>28658198
?? wtf, not even him. i was prescribed adderal before too, why is that your argument?
>>
>>28658129
It's more likely that you're not screwed because of that, because literally millions have been prescribed Adderall when they were kids because they were handing it out like candy, rather you're screwed because it's highly competitive and we're in peacetime.

So, don't give up on your dreams, just pray for more jihad?
>>
>>28657510

Duh

>>28657534

Not that guy but was also in the 82nd for a while. Now part of XVIII ABN.
I can gurantee that you are either someone not in the military or are from a 'nobody gives a fuck' division to try and beat your duck like that.
>>
>>28658216
I think he's implying you were /never/ prescribed and you've /never/ done any prescription drugs

You feel me niqqa
>>
>>28658322
He's right though.

Nobody really cares because 99% of 82nd and 18th are five jump chumps.
>>
>>28658322
what's all that fucking noise you guys were making all week?
>>
>>28658322
Nah, he's right. 82nd is a vanilla unit that tries too hard to make up for the fact that it is composed mostly of coolguy failouts.

Spending time in the 82nd means absolutely nothing outside the 82nd. It garners you no respect once you leave and just gives people a heads-up that you're going to try to pull some "back at Bragg..." bullshit.
>>
>>28655121
Army needs 80k a year just to stay at the same numbers, that's how much turnover we have.
>>
>>28658322
There is nothing special about the 82nd except the fact it seems to have a psychological complex about being on the same base as Special Forces HQ.
>>
>>28658514
To be fair, though, the 82nd is manned almost entirely by RASP washouts so they know a little something about the Rangers.
>>
>>28658592
This is exactly why they have such a complex and why they are overly stupid about doing things that should be easy.
>>
>>28658449
>>28658514
>>28658592

>RASPies that couldn't make it detected

Look I'm sorry you couldn't make it but there's no need to take out your frustrations on others.

As an outsider making an observation. 82nd isn't exactly a vanilla unit as you do need a prerequsite to be a part of it however they aren't super elite secret squirrels and they are regular army so if that's a negative in the minds of COD players that permiate /k/ oh well.
I will say that they along with the 173rd are the most high speed of all the regular units in the army that aren't in JSOC.
There is a reason They're both Rapid Deployment units after all.
>>
>>28658681
>they have a prerequisite

Are you implying that people in the 82nd need to make it through RASP? Because lolno.
>>
>>28658681
>As an outsider

Opinion immediately discarded.

The reason most people don't give a fuck about 82nd and their super special snowflakeness isn't out of some kind of butthurt about being "stuck" there because of not making it through RASP, it's because of the retarded attitude people in the 82nd get that turns them into assholes around everyone else.

They're that one guy in the group that can never just chill and they feel like they have to one up everyone.
>>
>>28658681
I don't know about the other two, but I am a former Marine. RASP was never in the cards for me.

I did, though, know a few guys from the 82nd. All of them had a strange sense of reverence toward but also resentment of the Ranger Regiment.
>>
>>28658681
>the minds of COD players that permiate /k/

In the minds of these posters, RASP is a totally do-able thing that they could/can/will do as soon as their Option 40 drops.
Anyone who even says it's hard is just a faggot who either tried and failed or never had the sack to enlist.
>>
>TFW both the goarmy 'interests' and 'skills' quizzes said I should be administrative support.
>TFW I wanted to operate.
>>
>>28658681
>Implying you need to go to airborne school to be in 82nd

You don't. They're literally just a vanilla infantry unit that is more focused on hooah bullshit than they are on mission. There's a reason that units who get shit done don't play as many fuckfuck games.
>>
>>28658814
Why are you posting under the premise that you need to go through or attempt RASP to be in the 82nd?

All you need for the 82nd is airborne school. I swear, I never thought I'd see people self identifying as outsiders smugly referring to others as COD kiddies for looking poorly at the most well known COD kiddie unit.
>>
>>28658767
>this level of reading comprehension

wew lad, hows being a cook working out for ya?
>>
>>28658863
You need airborne for most spots in the unit, you don't need anything better though.

The reason there are so many dropouts is that most other pipelines start with airborne school and then when the soldier fails they at least have airborne quals and head to 82nd land.
>>
>>28658875
Then what were you saying?
>>
>>28658907
I'm not even him, moron

Are you implying that people in the 82nd need to make it through RASP?

Are you seriously this retarded?
<script>window.googleJavaScriptRedirect=1</script><META name="referrer" content="origin"><script>var n={navigateTo:function(b,a,d){if(b!=a&&b.google){if(b.google.r){b.google.r=0;b.location.href=d;a.location.replace("about:blank");}}else{a.location.replace(d);}}};n.navigateTo(window.parent,window,"https://memecrunch.com/meme/5H1P/fucking-idiot");
</script><noscript><META http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL='https://memecrunch.com/meme/5H1P/fucking-idiot'"></noscript>
>>
>>28658937
uh oh, you broke his brain
>>
>>28658937
fucking 4chan-x
>>
>>28658873
>Why are you posting under the premise that you need to go through or attempt RASP to be in the 82nd?

I'm not, I have neither stated it nor implied it.

The fact is that, in most cases, a prospective Ranger has already completed Jump School, before attempting RASP. When those men fail, they are typically sent to Airborne units since they are already jump qualified. Hence, a disproportionate number of men in the 82nd have failed RASP.
>>
Who DLI, Monterey here?
>>
>>28659000
if my recruiter had his way, i would be. how do you like it?
>>
>>28659022
I'm going there in February as a MOS-Q was trying to find out how it was myself lol
>>
>>28659044
dat bonus, huh? enjoy!
>>
>>28659063
no, i got fucked lol i didnt get an enlistment bonus but mos became language qualified a few months ago so theyre cycling everyone through.
>>
>>28659044

MOS-Q in Monterrey is about as cushy as it gets in the Army. Too bad linguist career prospects are so shit right now.
>>
>>28659085
35M?
>>
>>28659090
well, i think im going as a mos-q, I dont know if theyll consider it since im coming straight from DLI
>>28659105
unfortunately yes
>>
>>28659044
im in dli as of this moment...its pretty sweet here
>>
>>28659127
Can you describe it? And what language?
>>
>>28659141
pasthu, first and foremost, depending on your language you'll be stuck in a holding platoon for anywhere from 2 weeks to like 3 months, so prepare for that, also whatever language it says on your orders will most likely change
>>
>>28659197
granted this is in the muhreens so it may differ for your branch
>>
>>28659111

Shit they were talking about Mikes getting a language and going to DLI like five fucking years ago.

They just did it now?
>>
Stumbled through college, 2.8 GPA in neuroscience. Too shit for med school, and I'm guessing too shit for an officer. Is there a branch and MOS for a wash-out like me?

I'm more motivated than my grades would suggest and am competent in terms of auto/shop skills (should have gone into engineering).
>>
>>28659197
im army. Im starting Persian on the 21st of march apparently.
>>28659209
yeah man. They're really pushing it now apparently.
>>
>>28659220
Army will let you in as E-4 if you have a degree. But the army dicks you everywhere else.
>>
so if one was an eagle scout, did rotc in high school,and college, got an associate's, but didn't want to be an officer, what rank would they start at?
>>
>>28659288
E-4
>>
Do officers ever go to sniper school?
>>
>>28659288
see>>28659242
>>
>>28659288
Associate's degree should get you E3. Eagle Scout/JROTC can be worth E2 on their own but doesn't stack with your college credits.
>>
>>28659298
only if infantry, and even then its rare as FUCK. because most the time NCO's see officers as little bitches especially 1LT and 2LT. And most officers see it as the same way.
>>
>>28659298

The fact that you're asking this question means you don't really know what sniper school is for.
>>
>>28659242
Could you elaborate on what you mean by dicking me everywhere else? Do other branches have similar entry ranks and levels of dicking?
>>
>>28659356
the navy has more dicking
>>
>>28659356

Army is going to offer you the most enlisted rank for your bachelor's degree.

Promotion beyond that depends on career field.
>>
>>28659298
>Do officers ever go to sniper school?

Clearly a misception on what officers do:

Put simply, they lead, they don't fight. They are managers. An officer who leads from the front is thought-of a somewhat brave, but mostly silly.
The major notable exception being pilots.
>>
What are promoti0on rates for a 68W? How likely am I to get "up and outted?"

I'd be going in as an E-4 if that makes a difference.

What kind of schools can you volunteer for? I want to learn as many different skills as I can. Get dat pension, den retire to the country with a German Shepherd, whiskey, and a bunch of novels.
>>
>>28659356
In the Marines, the best you can do is E-3, regardless of your education; even then, that's very rare.

If you have a degree, you're very likely to come out E-2, though.
>>
>>28659407
Promotion varies so much over the years that by the time it matters for you it may have entirely changed.

Keep in mind that 80 % of people don't retire, but most of those choose to get out and aren't forced out. Odds are you will choose to leave too.
>>
>>28659410
In case anyone doesn't know why this is:

IIRC Muuhhhrrreeens don't have an E4 rank that isn't an NCO. E4 is only Corporal.

In the Army E4 can be Specialist or Corporal.

Specialist rank is a hold over from the old Specialist ranks that went all the way up to Specialist 9.

Most E4s get specialist instead of corporal, and would still find themselves as team leaders and such but they're not NCOs.

Corporals are NCOs and one can be lateral promoted from Specialist to Corporal (seen it happen) if the CoC wants to stroke the E4's dick.
>>
>>28659410
>>28659379
>>28659370
>>28659242

What are my chances if I apply directly as an officer? Would the odds of a commission be better if I serve as enlisted first?
>>
>>28659495
>Would the odds of a commission be better if I serve as enlisted first?
No.

You want to be an officer? Be an officer.
You want to enlist? Enlist.
>>
>>28659495
2.8 GPA is pretty iffy for OCS, even with a STEM degree. Can't hurt to try. If you get denied for OCS you aren't obligated to do anything.

The recruiter will 100 % tell you that your odds of getting picked up for OCS are better if you enlist first. This is not true. OCS board does not give a fuck if you are enlisted or not, they care about GPA, PT, and experience.
>>
>>28659495
>Would the odds of a commission be better if I serve as enlisted first?

Nope.

Significant chance of not wanting to go back once you finish your initial enlistment.

And contrary to popular opinion mustangs are just as likely to be shitty officers as ROTC kids or OCS people.
>>
>>28659525
>mustangs are just as likely to be shitty officers as ROTC kids or OCS people.

Shitty for different reasons. They tend to be better to the men, but incompetent with regards to the management side.

In my experience, OCS tends to produce the best all-around officers, ROTC kids tend to be the worst. The ones who go to the service academies are generally pretty competent, but they are too far up their own asses. The ROTC kids who go to make-believe military academies like Texas A&M are the absolute worst.
>>
>>28659514
What is a competitive GPA for OCS? I'm already planning on retaking courses through community college to boost my grades for graduate school.
>>
>>28659634
depends on branch but 3.5+ is solid
>>
>>28659634
>What is a competitive GPA for OCS?
Anything above 3.5 is generally competitive. But so much depends on the rest of your packet and also the other people applying. If you are competing against dumb fucks for some reason, your 3.2 begins to look better. If you apply alongside a pack of studs, a 3.8 looks like shit next to a bunch of 4.0s.
>>
Are health care jobs across the branches worth pursuing? I'm talking about the various 68 specializations, Navy corpsman, etc.
>>
>>28659370
i meant dicking as "fuck you private/specialist"
>Navy doesnt know what lowcrawling is.
>>
>>28659669
Depends what your ultimate goal is. Medic/Corpsman only officially get certified up to the EMT level. You will way out-earn your civilian EMT peers if you stay in the military. If you want to make more, you'll have to progress to paramedic, or work on a degree track like nurse/PA/MD. They won't push you that way as enlisted, but you can use the military routes to get your degrees if you're a self-starter.

The medical technician jobs are better as far as civilian prospects. Get your tech certs and you can turn around and work for a military hospital as a civilian making pretty good money.
>>
>>28659643
>>28659652
Sounds like I can keep taking steps to a grad program and put in an application for the military if I'm still interested.
>>
>>28659707

If you're doing grad school, you can do grad school ROTC. Much more reliable path to becoming an officer than OCS.
>>
so I want a job with heavy equipment and i've considered going into 12N - horizontal construction engineer (bulldozer operator), 88M, and 61B - light wheeled vehicle mechanic. could anybody tell me more about those MOS?
>>
>>28659730
my drill sergeant was 12N, according to him it was chill as fuck, except when deployed (sorry to reference it, but remember in modern warefare 2 that weird portable bridge they put over the highway in the first mission? well thats those guys). I know a shit load of 61Bs and theyre liking their jobs but prepare for hearing loss if you go any sort of mechanic. Especially if you deploy. which is likely.
>>
Is there any portuguese bro here to help me out?

I'm brazilian but I'm getting my portuguese citizenship later this year and intend to enlist in their armed forces afterwards. Can anyone tell me how is life like over there?
>>
So anyone who was in have funny Jody stories?

>Be S6 guy in my unit
>He originally enlisted as MP before reclassing to 25whatever
>Enlist, go to Leonardwood for OSUT
>While he's there, his dad starts fucking his long term girlfriend
>He gets home on leave after AIT
>Finds out his girlfriend and dad are banging
>Disowns his dad, kicks his girlfriend out

Man, I laughed when he told this story, but it was pretty fucking sad tbqh familia.

I was almost as sad as when my room mate in AIT told me about how in love with his girlfriend he was (he wanted a demonstration on how to eat pussy, it was pretty funny) and then said that his best friend was the one who took her virginity like a month before they started dating.
>>
>>28650159
I think after you kill enough people, you get a license to say cringey overblown quotes like that unironically and have it work perfectly. I don't know how many people it is you gotta kill, but it's at least in the five figures.

It helps if your edgelord comment is followed by another mountain of dead people, folks take your shit seriously then.
>>
>>28660047
Genghis Khan gets to say something like that and have people take him seriously.

OP, on the other hand, is a faggot for having that image stored.
>>
would i have any trouble enlisting in the Army in the current environment at 29?
>>
MEPS next Tues/Wens, anything I should be aware of?

Things to say, not to say?
>>
>>28660568
>Things to say, not to say?

Do proclaim loudly that you don't mind being the pivot man. Also the greeting of the day is "Allahu Akbar".
>>
File: 1428681891246.png (824KB, 4000x2029px) Image search: [Google]
1428681891246.png
824KB, 4000x2029px
>>28660568
dont mention youre a virgin, the no singles policy would kick in and they'd then have to do a penis inspection.
>>28659984
>>
>>28660479
no
>>
>>28660643

>tap water
>safe to drink in america
>>
Supposing that I could excel at all of the following, where in the Air Force am I needed most?

>Fighter Pilot
>Intelligence Officer
>Special Tactics Officer

I'm turning down stupid money to serve, serving is what matters to me. Where can I go to fill the greatest need.
>>
>>28661061
Personnel Administration Officer.
>>
>>28661061
You're so fucking amazing you better go straight to JSOC man I don't know what we've done without you all this time.
>>
I've had 2 fairly major injuries on my left knee in the past 5 years. I get full use out of it, but every now and then it swells and gets sore.

If I ever wanted to enlist, should I just not say a fucking word about it?
>>
where's 35 series dudes at? spoke to another guy in another thread and he's got me thinking of trying for F instead of G or N like i was initially.
>Tiger Teams are apparently a thing
>All Source seems like it would transfer well into alphabet agencies
>a mix of the good parts of G/N

anyone with experience want to shed some light?
>>
>>28661563
do you have recent hospital records saying you were there for the knee? If no than stay quiet. if yes than speak up go through the process, but DO NOT say you still have problems.
>>
What makes a "sure-fire" applicant nowadays? Just no major health issues, no criminal convictions, and not dumb as bricks?
>>
>>28661574
35M from earlier back. 35M transfers well into the 3 letter agencies. In fact they train with us occasionally. But you have to have a lot of connections and be a fucking boss to actually contact them. for the rest of the 35 series, well analyse is fucking stupid (welcome to your career). Tango and Quebec can go do ANYTHING after the military and Papa only takes prior service.
>>
>>28661689
yeah basically, have to make tape too, start doing PT on your own (42 push ups, 54 sit ups, and a 15:54 2 mile is the standard you HAVE to accomplish in army. its really fucking easy). and even if youre straight retarded, they can waive your asvab score for you to go grunt,
>>
>>28661712
what exactly do/did you do though? i wouldn't expect enlisted 35M to interrogate taliban, what is it?
>>
File: 1425215814839.png (727KB, 750x717px) Image search: [Google]
1425215814839.png
727KB, 750x717px
>>28661743
>they can waive your asvab score for you to go grunt
Holy shit, that's a thing they actually do?
>>
>>28661780

>wouldn't expect 35m to interrogate Taliban

As someone passingly familiar with intel that seems like a pretty low level duty compared to recruiting agents and handling them.
>>
>>28661712
>>28661780
follow up question, what do warrant officers do in intelligence, and how do you get on that track? seems rare, or nobody talks about it
>>
>>28661818
i mean fresh out of AIT. what is the day-to-day for the different intelligence fields
>>
>>28661836
Yes warrants do Intel. You'll find tons of them in any Intel unit. Unlike pilots, technical warrants are all prior NCOs. Basically you do well in your job and drop a packet as an E6 or E7. WO1-CW2 will do a good amount of hands on Intel. CW3+ are more organization advisors.
>>
>>28661926
are 35 series just doing powerpoint presentations for their bosses or is that just a meme?
>>
>>28661851

I know little about the day to day of military intel, but prisoner interrogation isn't exactly a major responsibility.
>>
About to get out, many glads.
>>
>>28661982
Yes and no. Presenting intelligence products is a huge part of intel work. Collecting and analyzing information is useless if you don't package it and deliver it to someone who can do something about it. That's usually done through an intelligence briefing, often accompanied by a PowerPoint.
>>
>>28661982
It all depends on your unit man, if you go airborne you'll almost be guaranteed to go to an sf group or at the very least an airborne unit but you'll make products and do some bretty cool stuff.
>>
>>28662313
are you working on a specific task alone or is it like a group project? do they give you a location and say "analyze it" or it it a rolling project with like weekly updates? how many people are you working with? i read that 35g and n are being rolled together into 35w, do you work closely with all subsections? do you work with other branches or agencies often?
>do you do PT every morning before going to the office?
i have more questions, but i feel like its already tl;dr
>>
>>28662371
when can you "apply" for this stuff? AIT? should i have already asked my recruiter about this? do they just ask you to join if you're good at running? this stuff isn't really on Google. what a great thread
>>
Is my beer buddy 35G on?
We were both due to go to meps this last thurs/fri. But the nasty girls "forgot" to transfer my paper work so i have to wait.
>>
Do they piss/blood test you at dodmerb or Meps?
>>
Dead thread.
Diabetes is a non waiver isn't it?
>>
>>28662442
you pt everyday except weekends in AIT. mostly at your real unit as well unless you can prove youre a pt god.
>>28662442
you should get airborne in your contract because airborne slots are hard AS FUCK to get afterward. DO: get airborne
DO NOT: get ranger.
>>
>>28663096
yes
>>28663679
i believe so im so sorry.
>>
>>28662731
that fucking sucks man

>>28664690
you've been super helpful
>>
>>28664709
no problem man. If you go army prepare for a shitload of fuck everyday of your life. Example: I have formation at 0600 (in about 10 minutes) for some unknown reason. But Ill be back later in the day more likely
>>
>>28664709
lay down some more questions in the thread if you want and ill answer when i get back from whatever bullshit they got for us this morning.
>>
>>28664690
shit the pt part was for
>>28662418
>>
>>28664723
>>28662418
>>28664725

here's some questions, enjoy your paid exercise (sounds awesome, actually)
>>
>>28660643
How's that lead water tasting americuck?
>>
>>28650012
You should know that there's always a certain animosity between enlisted and officers. I joke with my friends about our scorn for officers and we talk every day about how they're fucking us over.

That said, all the Ensigns, JGs, and LTs I've worked with have been pretty cool guys. I also have a pretty shit hot Captain who I respect enormously.

If you do what you're supposed to and don't come off as an idiot or an asshole, your men will like you.
>>
>>28657534
Your unit in your branch is always better than every other unit in all of the branches.
>>
>>28650012
>I wouldn't consider myself superior if I was an Officer, I simply took a different path in life.

See how long that lasts. Spend a little time around enlisted, who are frequently uneducated and poor. Spend a little time around other officers, who generally lead lives that are far more comparable to your own. See how long it takes before all those folks saluting you and calling you 'sir' and digging in the dirt before you begin to believe you might actually be superior. Communities based around exclusion typically reinforce that sense of exclusion.

>Are all officers generally disliked by enlisted in the military?

No. Typically, it's the opposite. It's not dislike, it's just distance. We don't speak to them that much. They don't speak to us that much. (I was enlisted, FYI) They give us orders, we follow them. They go off and do officer stuff, we go off and do work. Simple. I think some resentment comes from officers who simply don't understand the lives, jobs, or temperaments of their men. It's easier to follow orders from a guy who has made the effort to get to know you and your role on the team.

>Or just the ones who think their shit don't stink?

They don't last. They get put in their place quick-like. Typically it's newly-commissioned 2nd Lieutenants or Ensigns who are all motivated, but they are still as new to the military as a private. They show up and expect a hushed awe of the little gold bar on their collars. When the sergeants, many of whom enlisted before the officer eve started high school, attempt to inform them on how things actually work, the officer either learns quickly or they adopt a little Napoleon complex.
Enlisted will then be as passive aggressive as possible and make the officer's life as miserable as possible without being actually insubordinate. Eventually, the officer will transfer to a staff position or resign their commission when their obligation is up.
>>
>>28662418

Working alone/with a group depends on where you're at and what kind of mission you're working. Generally you will work in small groups as a shop, but you will probably be solely responsible for a certain piece. How long you're on a specific project and how often you interact with agencies is also dependent on where you end up.

PT depends on unit. Most good units will let you skip some/all PT formations if you're fit. If you're struggling, expect 3-5 days of morning PT, and possibly remedial PT in the afternoon.
>>
>>28661818
>>28661780
I do infact interrogate (they got rid of the CUH RA ZY interrogation/torture shit, now its just talking)
>>28661836
Idk about other intel but 35m warrants are basically the boss of enlisted mikes out in the field. Like you have to go to them before doing pretty much anything.
>>
>>28661982
those are 35F. 35p and 35m aswell as sigint and imint are the ones out getting the info for the Foxes's powerpoints.
>>
>>28665503
>>28665489
so all the 35 series just dump their weekly paperwork on the 35F desk to be put into a powerpoint? wtf that's terrible.

I'm going to ask recruiter about M or stick with G because i like computers and maps
>>
>>28665503
>>28665520
fuckin PowerPoint. I'm old enough to remember the military before PowerPoint. It probably wasn't, but it FELT less retarded.

>Stop reading the fucking slide out loud, Captain! I can fucking read. There's just two fucking sentences on that fucking slide, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>28665542
did you use overhead projectors or what
>>
>>28665520
Foxes are cartographers too. Golf is cool. If you wanna be a L33T Haxor than go Quebec. The washout rate is extremely high due to highstress in training. Apparently people just give up. And yeah pretty much we send in our reports and they decide what's truthful enough to "Confirm" and then they compile it and stuff.
>>
>>28665550
We used overheads, but typically, we just made printouts for everyone.
The problem is obvious (and the military is well-aware of it) that PowerPoint Rangers can bang out a couple of slides that have less than ten minutes of actual work in them.
>inb4 get off my lawn
Back in the old days, that handful of slides would have been a three page paper with, you know, content and analysis.
>>
>>28665552
forgive my ignorance, but there seems to be a lot of overlapping skills. is this because of all the crosstraining, or is this why they are going to combine a bunch of these jobs?
>>28665579
seems like the papers would be better
>>
>>28665611
>seems like the papers would be better

Again, without sounding grumpy, hey are absolutely better. PowerPoints give you the impression of understanding because it is assumed that the guy making the slides understands the subject. In fact, it is usually the case that the person making the slide has put the entirety of his understanding on that slide.

When we first started using the slides, they would ALWAYS be accompanied by a paper. Bullet points on the slides would reference the page or section where further detail could be found. Eventually, though, people didn't have enough time to write the paper AND make the slides, so they just made the slides, since their commanding officers weren't going to read the papers anyway, but they definitely would take a giant shit on you if your slides weren't prepped.
>>
>>28665611
Naw. Quebec is hacking shit, tangos are the geek squad. golf uses satellites and shit to provide foxes with otherhead pictures.
>>
>>28665646
>>28665611
I get information from people for the foxes, and quebecs make sure the bad guys arent getting info from us.
>>
>>28665646
i was thinking g until the f guy from another thread made it seem awesome with the tiger teams, but you guys make f sound like the office bitch. m sounds pretty brutal, but what do they do in peacetime?
>>
>>28665673
they are the office bitch. They sit around all day, mikes will pull strings to get them outside the wire (into a safe already secured zone) and make it seem like the shit. Just so we can get an IOU from the foxes.
>>
>>28665708
godfuckingdammit
>>
>>28665673
we typically just do whatever. language maintenance. Paperwork. Training. Theyre some pretty cool extra schools that you can do too.
>>
>>28665715
What did you honestly expect intelligence work to be?
>>
>>28665743
i think i was on the money with g and n, just researching the other jobs.
>>
>>28665743
Most people assume MI stuff is sneaking around and doin Hollywood esc. spy shit
>>
>>28665520

It's the F's job to put together pieces from all the individual sources to create an overall picture and brief it to decision makers.

35M to 35F: "Yo, I talked to the local little green men and they said that the local Martian insurgents got ahold of some hefty new hardware."

35G to 35F: "I have analyzed this image and these splotches to the north are probably Type X Martian Megatanks".

35F to Commander: "I assess that the enemy is going to be bringing in Megatanks from the north. Here's where we think they are, how many they have, and a brief overview of their capabilities (armor, effective range, etc)"

Seems obvious, since anyone could put that together, right? But the single-source guys aren't focused on the overall picture, they're specialists in a single discipline. All-source has to know a little bit of everything, as well as be able to explain what it means.
>>
>>28665673

All 35-series are going to spend a ton of time in the office. M and T probably get outside the most, but even Ms are going to spend several hours writing reports for every hour they spend trying to collect intelligence.

In garrison, Ms do pretty much nothing since their intelligence discipline only really works when deployed. The other 35-series MOSs can have a pretty busy life in garrison if they're working a strategic mission. No need to be deployed to work for the non-Ms.
>>
>>28666085
thank you for breaking that down!

here's the question of the day: who has the most fun/rewarding job?

bonus round: who has the most rewarding career afterwards?

>this 35F guy keeps reconvincing me that his job is pretty great, dammit
>>
>>28648713
What can /meg/ tell me about 35g?
I know that they look at satellite pictures in hot trailers, but I don't know anything else.
Daily life, training, stories etc?

Originally wanted to do Infantry or 13k but peacetime army for combat MOS looks like hell, so POG it is.

Also, if I got opt 40 (or 4 I guess) would I end up attached to the 75th/Airborne?
>>
>>28666108
i see. so does M crosstrain during downtime? maybe i'm being naive, but there can only be so many interviewees, right?
>>
>>28666126

>who has the most fun/rewarding job?

It all depends on what you like to do. There's no right answer for everyone. Generally, each discipline will say that theirs is the best.

>who has the most rewarding career afterwards?

Money-wise? Probably Qs right now, but it all depends on what you get into. An enlisted intel job is a jumping off point, not an end goal.

>>28666141

Crosstrain into other disciplines? Not really. They'll bone up on language skills and report writing. If they're lucky they'll get to do some exercises/courses to sharpen their HUMINT skills, but opportunities to do that stuff in garrison can be pretty slim.

Still better than being combat arms in garrison, since at least you might get to work in an office and have a computer instead of just standing around sweeping all day.
>>
File: military wihtout feels.png (34KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
military wihtout feels.png
34KB, 450x450px
/fit/ is useless and just a a circle jerk for hightest girls so I guess i'll ask here

can some one give me a guide on how to get muscle with calisthenics?
im a 6 ft 2 lanklet who's too poor (1 of the reason im joining the military) to afford a gym so I decided to do calisthenics

did 100 pushups every day for month with weekends for rest day and I've barely gained any muscle, im still a skeleton

I think im fucking up and just gaining endurance instead of muscle
>>
>>28666186
>gaining muscle with calisthenics
I can see why /fit/ was uninterested in helping you.
>>
>>28650157
a bit, but not a lot more than any college degree would.

>>28651332
You should consider trying to find a place to learn Kurmanji or at least Arabic. And just so you know, without being something like former infantry and fluent in Arabic, you will probably be driving a supply truck or something, not a peshmerge opr8r
>>
>>28651653
Really? I thought AF pilot slots were insanely hard to get. Any idea why there's a deficit?

>>28653827
Moderately. If you have a good GPA and are in good shape, you would have a very very strong packet.

>>28656421
3.3 with a stem degree is breddy gud. Someone posted the (publicly available) graduation stats of the last group of OCS/OTS students and the average GPA was like a 3.1 or 3.2 I believe.

>>28656647
Sounds like you had a pretty good time in, that's good. But a lot of people in /meg/ want the jobs you would expect from 4chan- intel and cyber jobs on computers. So they could care more about whether they will be deploying.
>>
>>28657017
You talking about their physical training program? I don't know if I would say easy to follow but it's a very good program. What kind of lifting are you doing?
blogpost:
>tfw have strep throat and only able to eat a bowl of oatmeal, half a quesadilla, and 2 pieces of pizza in 3 days
>goodbye gains
at least my gains turned it from an excruciating illness to a cold with a bad sore throat.
>>
>>28668159
i think that ocs statistics was for army though. might be wrong, curious to see the navy ones
>>28668207
yeah i just wanted to nkow if it was good, doing SL right now
>>
>>28666127
pls rspond
>>
>>28659298
Officers don't fight except for a very very brief period in the career of very elite SOF unit officers. So no, they never go to sniper school.

>>28659391
I find that exception with pilots pretty interesting. The officer-enlisted relationship in the AF is different from the other branches because the officers are the main ones seeing combat in wartime (besides AFSOF)
>>
>>28659495
If you want to be an officer, just commission. If your GPA is 2.8 like >>28659514 mentioned, you might not even be able to get into OCS. He's also right about the recruiter saying you have better odds by enlisting first- they just want you to enlist. Going directly to an officer recruiter instead of through a regular recruiter will probably avoid that. And as >>28659525 says, being enlisted means nothing for your officering ability, because you're doing different things. You might have a different level of empathy for the enlisted but you will still be just as incompetent as any butterbar because you know just as much about officering as them, which is little.

>>28659634
Starts around 3.3ish. Above a 3.5 with a STEM degree you have a very good chance of getting what you want.
>>
>>28660986
>>28664850
>a single shitty town somewhere in the US has toxic water
>the entire nation has the same water
Nice logic skills your dirty foreigners, must suck not having the chance to go to the world's greatest universities for free.

>>28661061
Assuming you could actually excel and not what is likely, intelligence officer or fighter pilot are probably neck and neck
>>
>>28666186
Sorry man, they probably thought you were shitposting. It's not the best place if you're genuinely looking for help. It's very hard to gain muscle doing calisthenics. You are right in thinking you are gaining endurance- tons of pushups is building endurance more than strength. Fortunately though, endurance is more important than strength in the military. The best way to gain weight is to eat more, desu. Make sure you're eating healthy though, lots of protein and veggies, try to avoid sugars and refined carbs (whole wheat instead of white bread/pasta mostly), etc.
this pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oknZg-EI8xZFVkemhWMWlkVDg/edit?pli=1
has a pretty good bodyweight routine and list of exercises, you can refer to this to find some more difficult variants of the exercises you're doing. Doing low reps of harder exercises will help you with gaining weight.
>>
>>28668256
If you've been running with SL then you should be well on track, good luck man
>>
>>28668504
shuold i bulk or cut? at 155lbs/5'7" i get around ~100g of protein a day or so and i am eating at a slight surplus, think i should get more but dunno how else, already drink the protein powder.

i dont know why i feel like i cant make progressions, people tell me my form is fine but i still keep struggling with adding weight and im not even at 1pl8 bench yet, at 125lbs right now
>>
I'm confused about the national guard. Can I sign up for a MOS such as 11b do 4 years/qualify for the GI Bill and Citizenship or is the national guard more of a weekend/reserve only job with no real benefits?
>>
>>28668565
You shouldn't really be looking to bulk or cut. Those are mostly terms for bodybuilding, which is not a good thing to be doing to prepare for the military. Eating at a slight surplus is about ideal. However 155 is a bit toward the heavy side for 5'7" so unless you're pretty lean I would say cut if you had to choose.

How long has it been since you last added weight to your bench? Once you pass the noob gains stage it will be pretty slow, maybe 5-10lbs/month. Try doing dumbbell bench for a couple weeks to help any muscle imbalances.
>>
>>28669219
oops embarrassing
>>
>>28661712
>well analyse is fucking stupid

Yeah, I guess if you have this opinion I wouldn't expect you to be able to spell analysis.

Alright HUMINT monkey, go forth and pay those walk in sources $20 to lie to you about how that neighbor they don't like is totally an AQI commander.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.