[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Corrective lenses for SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

For those of you with less than perfect vision, how do you plan on maintaining or producing spectacles after the big shit? Kebab can't be removed if you can't see.

Also, any recommendations for SHTF glasses? Can you still buy BCGs onlines?
>>
shtf.
que?
>>
I work at a nuke plant. They buy us a new pair of prescription safety glasses once a year. I've been stockpiling.
>>
Shit hit the fan, it's a scary phrase used by autists in the survival/prepper community.
>>
>>28610602
ONE WORD

PRESCRIPTION SAFETY GLASSES
>>
>>28610648
I worked at a similar place and got a pair of "sport" style safety glasses
They look fucking retarded but are flexible, and iso rated
I love taking them to the range
Hoping to get a similar job soon (Hooray funemployment!) So I can update my script
If you do t have such a job, then I suggest you invest in a pair when you're old enough- eyes change with age, but slow down/stop changing afterm 25 (ish)
>>
After SHTF I plan on stealing eyes from my victims and using those to bolster my own vision.

Jeepers, creepers, I stole your peepers.
Jeepers, creepers, I took your eyes.
>>
If I'm lucky SHTF won't happen until after I get my lasik so I won't need them
>>
File: penn-jillette-holding-twine1.jpg (80KB, 309x396px) Image search: [Google]
penn-jillette-holding-twine1.jpg
80KB, 309x396px
>>28610667
>One word

Are they expensive? I've got tuition to pay, boss.
>>
>>28610602
I'm looking at corrective surgery, not specifically for SHTF because I don't worry a long term scenario, but if that were to ever happen I'd probably die before I'd have issues with eye sight again.
>>
>>28610683
Dont forget to drink the sweet eye juices
It helps
>>
>>28610602
I've been worrying about this.

I just have multiple pairs of my old prescriptions that I can still basically see with. Next pair is definitely going to be a sturdy frame, possibly aluminum.

My contact lenses pretty much last forever, but finding enough solution to keep them fresh would be a problem..

tl;dr I need lasik.
>>
Are contact lenses allowed after basic? Being innawoods with contacts doesn't seem any more uncomfortable than with glasses. Can't think of any reason for contacts to be barred besides irratant under lens.
>>
>>28610704
You can get a pair at Walmart for $20.
>>
>>28610748
Nah brother, you've got it all wrong. One has got to eat the eye brows in order to reach that full visual enhancement
>>
>>28610774
Getting something stuck in your lens is goddamn incapacitating to me. Your immediately blind until you remove the irritated lens, and then now you can't see.
>>
>>28610774
>Explosion
>Back draft
>Any strong heat
Will melt the lens to your eyes
We're talking shtf. Things can go wrong
Source: I was a volunteer firefighter
>>
>>28611108
>Back draft

If you walked into a backdraft then you're a pretty unobservant person. Thus you're not suited for fighting fire, even in a volunteer capacity. And you'll probably walk right into an ambush in SHTF.
>>
>>28611108
I had a bad expirence with paint thinner and contact,s you dont want to go there you really dont
>>
I have a few back up pairs but I would be screwed if I ran threw them all. Just be careful or end up like that guy on the twilight zone.
>>
>>28611213
>i don't the basics of smoldering
>>
File: Glasses2.jpg (527KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Glasses2.jpg
527KB, 720x1280px
>>28610679
>>28610667
>>28610648
These guys get it, prescription safety glasses are the way to go.

You can also get inserts for Oakley/ESS frames, or if you want to piss off your CO on throwback Thursday get wayfarers.
>>
>>28610773
Aluminum bends too easily, if you are getting a metal frame get either titanium or memory wire. Otherwise just get a pair of quality polymer.
>>
>>28610648
Military let's us get as many as we want.

I've been getting 2 pairs every other week for 3 years now.
>>
>>28611524
Why?
>>
>>28610720
This. Looking at joining the military, would like to have good eyes so I'm not as much of a liability if my glasses were to go missing, get damaged etc.
>>
>>28610774
After basic: Yeah, when you're not in the field and if it isn't retarded like bright red or patterned or some shit like that.
During basic: Hell to the naw, it would be way too much of a hassle, and they'll melt to your eyes if you wear them in the gas chamber.
>>
File: 1428112850365.png (569KB, 495x621px) Image search: [Google]
1428112850365.png
569KB, 495x621px
When it comes to operating, do what the pros do.
>>
Employer pays for a pair every year. This year I will put the money towards new lenses for my last 4 frames.
>>
>>28610853
>Your immediately blind until you remove the irritated lens, and then now you can't see.
More importantly removing and inserting lens requires time, comfortable environment and very fine motor skills. What is often is compatible with combat and combat-like situations. In case of damaging/losing/spoiling main pair equipping spare pare of glasses is order of magnitude easier than fiddling with lens.
>>
>>28611601
Get it in another country that isn't a third world shithole and get no documentation with you and never bring it up, renew your driver's license with the updated information and apply after 6 months for your eyes to fully heal.
>>
>>28611566
Taxpayer money at work, anon.
>>
>>28611677
Lol, I'm doing it in NZ for 6k in under a minute for both eyes, I'll be alright thanks!
>>
>>28611566
Maybe he'll be an optometrist if SHTF
>>
>>28610667

My prescription is -5.25

I know, I'm fucking blind.

What are my options? I'm assuming $20 walmart glasses don't cover eyes as bad as mine...
>>
>>28613230
I work in a chem lab. Prescription safety glasses are typically something you have to specially order. They run anywhere from 40 to 250 dollars depending on where you get them and your insurance/workplace policy.

(my eyes are about the same as yours, Aetna covers that shit like a pro)
>>
>>28610602

I'd fuck that guy

Goddamn magazine-tier looks
>>
>>28613230
>tfw -9
You've no choice but to get a pair through your optometrist. Probably at least two to three pairs if not more. I'd recommend pinnacle lenses if you can afford them.
>2 pairs for BOB
>pair for car

I can imagine one pair lasting at least 5 years if not more without too many accidents. Anyone know if one can replace broken screws on safety glasses?
>>
>>28611524
You're probably the asshole that wore clear revisions with inserts with a berret on.
>>
Just get corrective surgery and see like a normal person.
>>
File: 1453087358829.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453087358829.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
Hey I've got an idea, it's called don't be born with inferior eyesight because it is our most important trait.

Can't wait for you to die first.

>20/20 master race
>>
>>28614224
Jesus, fucking why. No one does that shit.

>>28611566
Because the new BCGs, while fairly stylish, break easily. I break almost a pair a month.

Plus, free glasses. Why wouldn't I?
>>
>>28614372
I was 20/20 until I was 15, and then started getting near sighted. I'm still sore about it, too.
>>
>>28614372
oh. You... you too.
>>
>>28610630
why not
>>
>>28613381
lab brother. I can get prescrip eye wear for free through work... I should get on that.
>>
>>28614403
>bcg
>stylish
>breaks easily
Where the fuck am I and how can I make the jump that will bring me home?
>>
>>28610683
>Where did you get those weepers

I could see this as a character in Fallout
>>
>>28614459
The gender fluid, pansexual, non judgemental Obama military of 2016

>>28614403
I don't know what service you're in but I get these metal Mike Vinig/Dugan type specs. Very rapey, but functional
>>
>>28610602
BCGs are durable as fuck. Would go to war with.
>>
>>28611524
You're a liar. DOD, DON, USAF all only allow 2x civ glasses + 1x BCG + 1x inserts every YEAR. You can get a new set of BCG's, but only if you need more than that. And that's every 6 months, or it comes out of pocket.

I wear contacts now, but I've been in for 8 years and have been collecting my free glasses anyway. I wore contacts in Afghanistan and Iraq and at the NTC. Never had an issue, always kept an extra set of BCG's in my kit, and had several on the COP, or truck.
>>
>>28611108
If its so hot your contacts would "melt" or even heat up trust me you fucked up and have bigger problems.

Stop talking volunteer.
>>
related question, what are the best protective eyewear options for donning over eyeglasses?
>>
>>28610602
Catchme fuckems.
US Cavalry, online.
>>
>>28610602
>For those of you with less than perfect vision, how do you plan on maintaining or producing spectacles after the big shit?

Building up contact lenses and glasses. Plan on getting PRK in the next couple of years anyway.
>>
>>28610602
>2015+1
>not getting corrective surgery

You faggots must be poor
>>
>>28617408
Kind of. Renovating a house doesn't tend to lens itself well to extra expenses...maybe later this year sometime.
>>
>>28614372
>Hur dur I'm better than you for something I had zero control over
>>
>>28617408
Doesn't that fuck up your night vision?
>>
Have a lokk at my Funk band!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=andy1OOwb2g
>>
>>28610602

I had LASIK.
>>
>>28617408
>>28618504
I value my night vision.
>>
>>28618568

>I can't see shit day or night
>Hey correct your vision nigger
>No thanks, I value my not being able to see shit too much

That's you. My night vision is literally no worse than it was before the procedure.
>>
>>28618504
PRK masterrace reporting

Enjoy your impulse induced blindness.
>>
>>28610789

this. vision insurance is usually dirt cheap and buying glasses is dirt cheap with it. Just make sure you find out what you are covered for before you buy (they should be able to tell you at the counter).

>cheap frames
>decline all the fancy shit they want to do to the lenses, most of it is not covered and it will make you lenses cost a fuckton

If you just buy the basic stuff and have insurance you should walk out for less than $50.
>>
File: image.png (107KB, 424x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
107KB, 424x370px
>>28614372
>not being 25:25 masterrace
Git gud scrub
>>
>>28618684

I just don't shove enough dicks in my eye to get any benefit from PRK.

I will freely admit it would have been the better option for me if I had as much semen flowing over my eyes on a daily basis as you do.
>>
>>28617505
>this is all facets of life
>>28614372
Step up with your non 20/15 son, got all day.
>>
File: 1406313849001.jpg (14KB, 224x215px) Image search: [Google]
1406313849001.jpg
14KB, 224x215px
>>28614372
>he said while being at least 60lbs overweight
>>
>>28611213

Alright then smartass. How about you're going along minding your own business and suddenly something explodes or catches on fire near you, and you are knocked to the ground or otherwise it takes you a minute to recover and get out of the area.

Congratulations, there is a good chance your contacts just melted onto your eyes, in which case this is SHTF and you are now semi-permanently fucked because no doctors/medical facility.
>>
>>28618757
A good knock to the head will knock the flap in your eye open. That's why the military quit offering it.
>>
>>28611611

This. I'll wear them in garrison but typically not in the field or definitely not when deployed.

One grain of sand will completely fuck up your day, you may not have a chance to take them out or lose your eye drops, in which case they will dry out on you.

Deployment would be a terrible idea because you have to wear safety glasses anyway, and if you get hit with an IED or have fire near you, those things could get melted onto your eyes. Not the biggest threat, but just something else to worry about.

All in all I don't give a shit about how I look with glasses on around other soldiers, so its easier to just wear glasses. I'll take them off and put on contacts when I get off duty.
>>
>>28618757

You are retarded. That is all.
>>
>>28618812

If you had said "Directly to the eye" you might have a leg to stand on. Maybe.

But the head overall? I call BS. If you hit someone in the head that goddamn hard, they have other problems. Like not being alive anymore.
>>
Just hope that in the next few years this come out
>http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/can-procedure-give-you-superhuman-vision
I don't even have vision problems and I would get this shit
>>
>>28610694
fingers crossed the doc isn't drunk and doesn't fuck up, leaving your vision irreparably damaged and uncorrectable
>>
>>28610602
>BCGs
Are they still called BCGs? Thought they were hipster and the height of "fashion".
>>
contacts i sleep with mine in for a month at a time with no issues ever. and i have a shit load of them so i just plan on staying stalked up on them all the time
>>
>>28618651
My prescription is only about -1.25 (in on eye) so eat a dick nigger I can see shit day or night
>>
>>28611524
>1 pair a week
>3 years
>162 fucking frames

WHY
>>
>>28614372
>6'3 230lbs 11% body fat
>state champion wrestler
>help train MMA and other fag grapple gym rats
>blind as a one eyed mole

Point whoever I grab is dying. Protip, just throw elderly in my way and book it over the sound of bones breaking like bubble wrap
>>
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRD
>>
Is there a such thing with a gasmask with prescription lenses?
>>
You were born too early to get intraocular lenses.
You can try your luck with custom prk I guess, but lasik is always one bad fall away from abject failure.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.