[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is graphene the next bulletproof material?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: bulletproof-graphene.jpg (170KB, 1000x675px) Image search: [Google]
bulletproof-graphene.jpg
170KB, 1000x675px
Is graphene the next bulletproof material?
>>
>>28559834
Sure, its promised to everything else useful 3000% better than everything available now.

It'll just be a few... years before any of graphene's uses make it to industrial or commercial use. Then just a few years after that it'll be affordable for normal people to buy.

So by 2047 you'll start seeing graphene available to the public.
>>
>>28559834
You could theoretically make a graphene vest lighter than any bullet resistant armor now available that could stop a .50BMG like a meter-thick steel plate.

But it could easily cost millions of dollars to make it.
>>
>>28560180
>that could stop a .50BMG like a meter-thick steel plate.

Yeah, but even then it wouldn't stop the concussion from killing you :D
>>
We'll just make graphene bullets to counter it.
>>
>>28560180

stopped does not mean survivable
>>
>>28560250
>>28560180
This. AR550 plates will stop AP .50BMG, but the force alone of it slamming into you will fuck your shit up.

Even a 1oz slug from a 12 gauge can kill you from the force of it hitting your body alone.
>>
>>28560425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVrcr3VXjk

Video related.
>>
>>28559834

This one is betta!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7j5ld0m3RI
>>
>>28560425
>Even a 1oz slug from a 12 gauge can kill you from the force of it hitting your body alone.

Which is why everyone who fires one risks death from recoil! Equal and opposite forces and all you know.
>>
>>28560576
You clearly have no idea the effect ofa shotgun barrel

If a barrel was half an inch and still brought the projectile to the velocity it does out of a 20" barrel then it would need the powder necessary in order to break your shoulder on recoil..

If that makes sense
>>
>>28560250
>>28560193
he didn't say it'd save you from it
>>
>>28560576
>what is blunt trauma
>what is soft tissue damage
>>
>>28560437
>AR550 stops a .50 AP-I
Wow, and the Apollo Program went to the Moon.

You're not gonna wear a carrier loaded with fucking 550, unless you enjoy pulverizing your vertebrate and wishing you got shot instead of suffering until you die because you're crippled from the neck down.
>>
>>28560611
Standard 12 gauge of any kind will not fuck you up when it's stopped by armor. Doesn't matter what kind of barrel it's fired from.
The force is spread over a large area and there are backforce deformation limits for NIJ certified armor.
>>
>>28560655
Nice job missing the point.

The point was even if the armor stops the round from penetrating, the force can still kill you.
>>
>>28560708
Soft armor would have been a much better example if that's what you were trying to prove. If that mannequin was you, you'd probably suffer several cracked/broken ribs, but you would not die from the impact, given you aren't flayed by spalling.
>>
>>28560576
Momentum is equal and opposite. Energy is not.
>>
Not as a standalone material - just not happening.

However, mixing CNT into aramid fibers has been proven to work well. It basically triples the strength. However, soft armor, even with CNT, still doesn't stop rifle rounds. CNT improves multi-hit in hard armor, but armor doesn't stop people from being suppressed because it's not full-body protection.

So it doesn't change much.
>>
Graphene is the memest of all meme materials...
>>
>>28560655
>AR550
>You're not gonna wear a carrier loaded with fucking 550, unless you enjoy pulverizing your vertebrate and wishing you got shot instead of suffering until you die because you're crippled from the neck down.

http://www.thetargetman.com/product/level-iiiadvanced-triple-curve-atc-spartan-ar550-armor/

The number after the AR is the steel's Brinnell Hardness, not a statement of thickness. AR 550 is likely to become the next big thing in armor because it pushes the protection to the point that 5.56 M995 can not piercing it IF it is fired out of a 14.5 inch barrel.
>>
>>28560576
No guns doesn't understand basic physics
The force is spread out over a longer time as well as over a larger area, imparting less pressure on you from the recoil versus all of the bullets kinetic energy slamming your chest almost instantly
>>
>>28560768

H-how retarded are you?
>>
>>28562984
>Force spread out over a longer time

Not true assuming you are speaking of pump guns without a significantly thick recoil pad...which most won't have.

>as well as over a larger area,

Somewhat true, but negligible.

>all of the bullets kinetic energy slamming your chest almost instantly

Omg guize so much energy!!11 Don't ever fall down or play football. You might explode.
>>
File: 1452210379607.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452210379607.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>28563128
not him but force is the change in momentum (for constant mass systems), therefore conservation of force according to newtons laws is conservation of momentum. this isnt the same as saying energy is conserved
>>
File: 1452666059802.jpg (45KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
1452666059802.jpg
45KB, 576x720px
>>28560576
Obvious b8
>>
>>28559834
Can I ask a stupid question, /k/? Why do we continue to labor away making materials strong enough to resist bullets when the force will kill you anyhow?

I had an idea when I was about 7-8 years old for vacuum-layered armor. You have the frontal plate, which stops the bullet. Then there's a vacuum between the back plate. Force is transmitted across that vacuum by short steel columns to the other side of the vest, which have material that can break off.

Bullet hits armor, bullet stops, force is translated through into sacrificial plates on the other side which break off, without transferring any actual force to the body in the middle.
>>
>>28565090

>Causing spalling. On Purpose.
>>
>>28565097
Exactly, but the spalling is behind the wearer. Anyone behind them is fucked, but the wearer shouldn't feel much at all.
>>
>>28563128
>I failed high school physics: the post
Here, play around a bit and then maybe consider cracking open an introductory physics textbook: http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
>>
>>28560655
>Wow, and the Apollo Program went to the Moon
Actually that was all done on a soundstage.
>>
>>28560193

What if i attache a large spring to my back, that will absorb the impact as i am pushed backward?
>>
>>28562940
>it pushes the protection to the point that 5.56 M995 can not piercing it IF it is fired out of a 14.5 inch barrel.
What's to just stop everyone from switching to 14.6 inch barrels though?
>>
You could maybe go Halo style and do a gel layer type thing between the plates and the wearer as well to absorb anything else, and have a rugged frame going from the strike face to the shoulder and kidney aeas to transfer the force to
the plates you mentioned. If that makes any sense.>28565090
>>
>>28560180
>.50 cal
>meet 1 meter of steel
nigger please
>>
>>28565150
Yeah, that's the plan, although you definitely want a vacuum, not a gel. Shockwaves can't translate through vacuum. That way, you can have a (reasonably) comfortable body-fitting layer to wear that the armor can affix to.

It'd be almost like a reverse spacesuit. Vacuum inside, atmosphere outside.
>>
>>28563198
>Not true assuming you are speaking of pump guns without a significantly thick recoil pad...which most won't have.
pretty sure he's talking about the slug traveling down the barrel.
>>
>>28562984
>>28563198
>>28565186

Took physics in high school and passed with a C about 6 years ago, and what the actual fuck are you guys talking about?

The rifle has a longer impulse of energy transfer (energy over time) and it weighs something like 1500x more than the bullet itself, so the same energy is imparted over a longer period of time, into a wider surface area of the shooter, with a drastically lower velocity.
>>
>>28565168
Wow you're so smart and advanced, shame you're flipping burgers at Wendy's
>>
>>28565107
I am having a hard time visualizing this without saying you're a retard. You got a diagram?
>>
>>28559834
Not before it see commercial use in electronics. The biggest hurdles for graphene is growing a perfect tubes and perfect sheets. Until that happens it can only, theoretically, be made into batteries.
>>
>>28559834
It is more likely to be used as high density capacitor/battery for electronics. Being able to lug around electronics without lugging around multiple sets of batteries will be highly advantageous.
>>
>>28559834
I dont really know any technical info, but I am a practical man.

Whenever somebody starts saying "this thing makes your clothes cleaner, your teeth whiter, and your smile brighter! Thats right folks, it is water, fire, laser, earthquake, aids, and bullet proof too! Use it to charge your phone or do your taxes! Step right up folks! With just a bit more funding we are going to utterly transform every aspect of your life over night just as soon as you toss a few million in funding into the mix!"

I assume its being exagerrated to gain funding. Or, atleast, that such uses are pure hypothesis or theory at this point and they are just kinda, guessing that it can do these things at this point.

Not saying research is pointless, just saying graphene is pretty early in its stage of development to really be making a lot of the claims that they are.
>>
>>28560193
What concussion? Ever heard of Newtons third law? If a .50 cal round would cause a lethal concussion on the target it would have to have the same effect on the shooter, because force = counterforce. But the recoil doesn't kill people. And the kinetic energy of the bullet alone doesn't either. It's the penetration that is a function of its sectional density that kills. A bullet that doesn't manage to penetrate a bulletproof vest may cause a bruise, in the worst case even a broken rib, but not a lethal concussion.

Bullets also don't cause a man to fall. They lack the kinetic energy to do so. That's a purely psychological reaction. Witness forensic ballistics expert Alex Jason getting shot with 7.62 x 51 NATO while standing on one leg and barely moving:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaS_2l8nGdg
>>
File: th_bandofbrotherspiethrow.gif (1MB, 159x118px) Image search: [Google]
th_bandofbrotherspiethrow.gif
1MB, 159x118px
>>28568582
ya but that force is distributed across the time it takes to travel through that 28+ inch barrel for the shooter, and dampened by the muzzle break. in the vest it has to only a inch or so to stop.
I imagine it would be like getting hit with a sledge in the chest, still able to break ribs puncture lungs with said ribs etc. I'm no doc but I'm pretty sure your still dead
>>
>>28568646
Yes, that's true. But it's more than an inch stopping distance, as the human body is mostly soft and able to deform, depending on where exactly the bullet hits. It also matters how large the area is over which the force attacks. That depends on how rigid the vest is. A hard plate can distribute it over the whole chest.
>>
>>28559834
I just heard about this stuff in my materials acience class
A sheet 1 atom thick, used as a hammock, can hold a very fat cat without breaking. Imagine what a half inch sheet of this stuff could do
>>
>>28560437
relatively new to guns here. Does anyone know what that lever action .308 he was shooting in the video was?
>>
>>28559834
>itt: concussive forces don't exist
enjoy having your insides turn into jello
>>
>>28559963
Except graphene is used in commercial products already.
>>
>>28568646
>and dampened by the muzzle break
the muzzle brake only recovers the energy of the propellant gasses. That energy wouldn't be felt by the target anyway
>>
Are graphene bullets the next armor piercing ammo?
>>
You know I have always wanted to test whether or not you could make weak ballistic plates from iron wood. I have looked but not a single person has apparently tested it.
>>
>>28570906
Have not shot a iron wood plank but I have shot a hand turned iron wood bullet. It worked pretty well for what it was and held together pretty well in ballistics gel.
>>
>>28560506
>video game knolege, the video
These niggers know nothing about terminal ballistics, I lost braincells watching this
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.