[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the United States need to maintain the Korean deployment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: Eighth_US_Army_-_Korea.png (358KB, 1920x843px) Image search: [Google]
Eighth_US_Army_-_Korea.png
358KB, 1920x843px
Why does the United States need to maintain the Korean deployment when the ROK military is enormous and more than capable of defending itself and the US military deployment is too small to be of any real value in the event of war, forces based in Japan would be able to be deployed to assist if required, and also why is it so top every with 3 generals?
>>
>>28551520
just to make it more convoluted, all of the 2nd divisions infantry brigades are back in Washington and under the aegis of the 7th infantry division
>>
File: oSGYYbK.png (446KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
oSGYYbK.png
446KB, 600x500px
Are we really to believe this is such a major threat?
Anyone got the tractor MLRS?
>>
because the korean war still isn't over

also because if we ever get into a war with china, south korea is another place to launch bombers from
>>
The US presence here in the ROK is for multiple reasons.1. Its a stipulation between the ROK and US that the US will maintain a presence here with a certain number of troops. 2. Its to deter DPRK from trying to invade the ROK even though the threat of DPRK invasion isnt as big of a deal as it used to be. 3. The US is here to keep the ROK from invading DPRK and esentially starting another world war. 4. The US presence is to also deter DPRK allies (china etc) from trying to invade the ROK.
>>
>>28551752
you'd be launching from diego garcia
korea would be much to close for their missiles
and you won't go to war with china they are a major trading partner
>>
>>28551774
>1. Its a stipulation between the ROK and US that the US will maintain a presence here with a certain number of troops.
You dont need to
>2. Its to deter DPRK from trying to invade the ROK even though the threat of DPRK invasion isnt as big of a deal as it used to be.
It is no threat at all, the ROK can comfortably counter it itself, if there were any assitance needed the forces stationed in Japan would be readily available
>3. The US is here to keep the ROK from invading DPRK and esentially starting another world war.
lolwut
>4. The US presence is to also deter DPRK allies (china etc) from trying to invade the ROK.
China and South Korea are major trading partners that is not going to happen
And China has no power projection capability
>>
>>28551720
I love that tractor. haha!
>>
>>28551520
Because the ROK ISNT capable of defending itself against the Norks. Yes it has an impressive military and the US has significant forces here. Norks would still roll through us. What we have in place is enough to hold them off until more divisions make it here. You people seriously underestimate NK because of its meme status. Despite everything, it's still a juggernaut that needs to be deterred. Yes in the final fight we'd win of course but the Norks are not a joke and it's dangerous to think of them as such. I'm sitting a few miles away from them and I am definitely not laughing. If anything I wish we had a much larger presence here.
>>
File: 501stSTB.jpg (474KB, 1152x1280px) Image search: [Google]
501stSTB.jpg
474KB, 1152x1280px
>>28551520
>501st STB
>mfw
I know they're engineers and shit like that, but goddamn.
>>
>>28551571
Gotta have those SBCTs where they'll do some good. The wasteland that is the YTC.
>>
File: Pokpung Ho IV ed.jpg (2MB, 4057x2736px) Image search: [Google]
Pokpung Ho IV ed.jpg
2MB, 4057x2736px
>>28551904
>Roll through us
With their tanks that have armor bolted on because they don't have ERA? Please tell me in detail why you think they would roll through the ROK.
>>
>ROK military is enormous and more than capable of defending itself
It ain't. No apaches, no thunderbolts, no means of stopping waves of NK armor rushing through the irradiated ruins of Seoul.
>>
>>28551968
Oh please they probably nerd out of it too.
>>
File: 26472838.jpg (135KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
26472838.jpg
135KB, 1024x768px
>>28551904
>Norks would still roll through us.
How?
Border is mined
Full of tank traps, pic related
South Korea is well trained and well equipped.
Nork army is full of starving stunted retarded peasents using equipment purchased 60 years ago

>What we have in place is enough to hold them off until more divisions make it here.
South has 5 mechanized divisions, 19 infantry divisions, numerous artillery and aviation and anti air brigades

The American contribution is SINGLE armor brigade, a SINGLE cavalry brigade, a SINGLE artillery brigade, a SINGLE anti-air brigade

Unless that armor is BattleMechs or AT-ATs it is miniscule compared to what the South field

The norks still use T54s
South uses locally built Abrams
T54s were decimated in the first Gulf War by Pattons
So what would Abrams do to them?

>You people seriously underestimate NK because of its meme status.
You over estimate it to justify bloated spending and unnecessary and redundant deployments

>it's still a juggernaut that needs to be deterred.
its a paper tiger
>>
>>28552033
>>28551904
>implying the have the fuel to move large quantities of troops or even vehicles capable of driving to Seoul without breaking down
They can shell the outskirts of Seoul and fuck up the immediate area around the dmz. About the best they'll do.
>>
>>28552033
>It ain't
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Korea_Army#Organization
Read em and weap
>no apaches
tru dat, they do however have 50 MD-500 TOW and 90 Cobras
And 36 Apaches on order
>no thunderbolts
F-15s
>>
>>28552129
>They can shell the outskirts of Seoul
And Korean M270 MLRS counter battery fire as well as F-15 air strikes would immediately neutralize it
>>
>>28552090
how does that trap work?
>>
>>28552159
explosives will cause the blocks to tumble down into the road completely blocking it
>>
>>28552043
The army is the biggest group of nerds in existence.
>My platoon was the Roughnecks
>It wasn't a reference to Teddy Roosevelt
>>
>>28552198
Starship Troopers is on the Marines recommended reading list
>>
>>28552228
To be fair the book and movie shouldn't even share the same title. They are entirely separate things.
>>
>>28552259
the film is a great satire
>>
>>28552267
I think the movie missed the lessons on camaraderie, work ethic, and leadership in the book and just focused on exaggerated jingoism.
>>
>>28552033
>>28552143
>complain they dont have apaches
>actually they have apaches on order and plenty of AT choppers already
I think this highlights a very big problem for people arguing America needs to defend South Korea
They don't actually know what they're talking about
>>
>>28552301
those lessons are the level of a ridiculously naive boys own adventure story
>>
>>28551809
I think you're forgetting that South Korea invaded North Korea first, which set off the Korean War.
>>
>>28552358
Yeah, most literature can be broken down into ridiculously naive notions tho.
>>
>>28552382
this literally is presented as a children story though
>>
>>28552387
Sorry, I'm not following. It's been a few years since I've read the story, but I don't remember it being presented by itself, or anyone else as a childrens story.
>>
>>28552343
Nork air force is also literally 60 years old, they still have Mig 17 and 19 and Il 28 in service, the only avionics they carry are the pilots eyes
Only modern craft they have are a handful of Mig-29, which would be kept in Pyongyang to protect it
>>
>>28551520
The United states forces in south Korea are there specifically to die in the first battle of the second Korean war.

American presidents will not be able to sell another Asian quagmire to the public without a couple thousand flag draped coffins. If uncle Sam gets lucky, the first exchange will be nuclear so the UN will go along like last time.

Cold hard truth, my friends who were stationed in Korea were nothing more than geopolitical bait.
>>
>>28552400
its written at a childs level and presents war as a boy scouts trip
>>
>>28552409
I didn't get that out of it, then again when I read through it the first time I had never heard of it or seen the movie and went into it with no expectations other then >science fiction
>>
>>28552405
>The United states forces in south Korea are there specifically to die in the first battle of the second Korean war.
>hurr durr we're the tripwire we're the speedbump
lol no
>>
>>28553208
Lol, yes.

Just because the fact bothers you does not make it any less true
>>
Does a conflict between north and south really have to be all out loser dies? Isnt a limited conflict from northen invasion/agression possible? Like the first gulf war or something and then ending up in a ceasefire.
>>
>>28553243
At this point only the Best Korea is dying if both of these countries engaged.

Hopefully get stationed in South Korea in the near future, always wanted to see a human like barbie doll.
>>
>>28551809
>not understanding the concept of deterrence
>>
>>28551520
U.S needs to keep a presens in korea to keep out those chinks living north of the NK.
>>
>>28551904
They said the same thing about Iraq in desert storm.
>>
Because it's a strategic land base in Asia.
>>
>>28551809
I'm pretty sure if China could project into Korea in the 50's using donkeys and shit they could easily project into Korea again
>>
>>28553243
Both countries have said that the goal of any war between the two would be "reunification" i.e. total surrender or the other side.
>>
>>28553254
>Hopefully get stationed in South Korea in the near future, always wanted to see a human like barbie doll.

Just don't end up in 2ID.
>>
>even /k/ doesn't get geopolitics
>>
>>28551809
Power projection isn't that important when you can go over land. Germany has none either but could still invade all its neighbours
>>
File: image_2.jpg (92KB, 422x512px) Image search: [Google]
image_2.jpg
92KB, 422x512px
>>28551665
Nice photo shop imperialist scum.

Our Sŏn'gun youth tower over your "men"
>>
>>28553254
You'll either leave with a load of money saved up, or you'll be broke as fuck the whole time. I left with about 70% of my base pay in savings and still got to go out to see the sights everything I got approved for a pass.

Just stay out of the ville, if you're at casey/Hovey make sure you hit up beaver barbecue. Pretty good.
>>
File: Chinese Relief Soldiers Korea.jpg (90KB, 500x782px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Relief Soldiers Korea.jpg
90KB, 500x782px
>>28551809
>And China has no power projection capability
People say this about CHINA'S NAVY. If you did your basic geography, you'd realize the Korean Peninsula is connected to China.

Last time Chinese fought the Americans in Korea, they did it on foot with a few soviet supplied trucks. And they were a problem.
>>
NK Army is the definition of a paper tiger.
In case of conflict they would be raped by South, and their army would melt away pretty quickly due to desertion and their inability to supply them.
Their air force is practically 50 years old. Modern target drones are more advanced than their aircraft.
NK was a danger in Cold War, now it's more of a cruel joke.
>>
>>28551520
It's a dick wave. The ground force won't do much but attack ROK and you attack the US base which is sovereign US soil so now we can go to war. Just more cold war dickery
>>
>>28551809
>major trading partners

By that logic, there is no way in hell a fight between China and the US would break out. While I don't think it is very likely, its clear that China won't let something like that stop them
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.