[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you ever consider buying a 'smart' gun? Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10

File: Armatix-iP1-Smart-Gun-3.jpg (394KB, 2040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Armatix-iP1-Smart-Gun-3.jpg
394KB, 2040x1360px
Would you ever consider buying a 'smart' gun?

Do you think the technology will reach a point where it's reliable enough to depend upon for your life?
>>
when all niggers are deported to africa or sent up chimneys
>>
>>28468649
Nope. Guns are not phones. Jamming fragile electronics required to make the weapon function will result in a lot of broken guns.
>>
>>28468649
Fuck no, even if God promised it'd be 100% reliable: I wouldn't get one on the principal that the concept is fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1334639139991.jpg (34KB, 263x277px) Image search: [Google]
1334639139991.jpg
34KB, 263x277px
no.
>>
>>28468649
ain't broke -> don't fix
>>
>>28468649
>not made by FN
lolno
>>
>>28468649
No...
>>
>>28468748
>>
>>28468649
unless it shot lasers or some shit, no
>>
Once the military, police and Secret Service start using them exclusively then maybe I'll consider it.
>>
the only smart gun i'll ever buy
>>
>>28468649
Fuck no. I know Indians who will write firmware for it. For all I know, it could be shooting you dead every 16 minutes 40 seconds. Don't ask why.
>>
File: IMG_7229.jpg (65KB, 519x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7229.jpg
65KB, 519x346px
>>28468649
Only if you implement the other features:
Rocket launcher, flechette launcher, net launcher, grenade launcher, flamethrower, freeze ray, and of course, "replay".
>>
what the fuck is a smart gun? can only you shoot it or something? I've seen the retarded fingerprint thing that kid was trying to make
>>
>>28469908
Don't forget the red button on the bottom of the weapon.
>>
>>28468649
hmm.

yes...maybe...

if only for the novelty of it.

a better question would be would any of us ever consider using a smart gun exclusively for defensive purposes (as my carry gun, or as my home defense gun etc) my answer would be a instant, HELL no
>>
>>28469934
Ssshhhh....
>>
>>28469915
That's the general gist of it, Though it's completely impractical in every way for the foreseeable future.
>>
Ok guys, important question.

WHAT IF in case of failure, the system would unlock the gun? Like if the default state is "unlocked" like a normal gun, and the battery operated locking mechanism actively locked it?

You're basically owning a regular gun, except that you can choose to activate the system when you want to carry, or you don't want your kids to shoot themselves?
You don't have to "trust it" then, it either works or you're back to having a normal gun.
>>
>>28469954
why not just, like, y'know, keep track of your shit?
>>
Why does everybody not like this? It seems like a cool feature.
>>
>>28469965
>or you don't want your kids to shoot themselves?
crazy concept
teach your kids not to shoot themselves.
>>
>>28469977
check your privilege you victim blaming shitlord
>>
>>28468649
Only if it shoots smart homing bullets that are also fragmentation grenades

Also >>28468664
>>
>>28468649
>Murphy's law #216: Smart guns aren't smart.
>>
File: nfc-tag-implant.jpg (59KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
nfc-tag-implant.jpg
59KB, 800x600px
>Would you ever consider buying a 'smart' gun?
NOPE. None of the tech is good enough. The bracelet / watch guns depends on having something on your wrist all the time which I can't really do because I have carpal tunnel and it fucks my wrists resting them on the desk with a watch on. Finger print scanners suck. I deal with those daily, even one on my phone. They're not nearly reliable enough and I've had them fail just because I had a little piece of dirt on my finger. Unless I had an NFC chip embedded in my hand (which CAN be done secure and resistant to tracking for you fucking fags who think they can be GPS tracked or something) I wouldn't do it, and even with embedded chips the reliability is questionable.

>Do you think the technology will reach a point where it's reliable enough to depend upon for your life?
Yes. Probably with embedded NFC chips. The security is certainly possible, it might even be possible to jam the tech small enough right now, but the clowns that have designed the current lines of smart guns don't know fuckall about it. A chip could do public key crypto and have it secure and unrepeatable - no drive-by swiping peoples unlock codes. NFC chips can easily be limited internally to limit range - no scanning chips as you walk through a doorway.
>>
>you have to wear this stupid watch if you want to shoot your gun
>you have a unique watch that lets everyone around you know you're carrying a concealed weapon
>if your watch battery dies, you're fucked
>if a mugger steals your watch, you're fucked
>if you only have one hand free that happen to not be the hand you're wearing your watch on, you're fucked
>if the watch get damaged somehow, you're fucked
seems like a brilliant idea. We should make it where you have to tweet "bang bang" to shoot.
>>
>>28468649
I tried to buy one of these to take it apart and see how fucked it was. Armatix nor their distributors in New Jersey or California would sell me one. I don't think any have actually been sold.
>>
>>28468664
When you must score at least 120 on an I.Q. test to reproduce.

>Yes, I'm aware that this would result in ever-upward pressure on IQ as average intelligence in any sample group is 100, that's kind of the point.
>>
>>28468748
Feelings hurt -> make everything worse for everyone
>>
>>28469965
I think we all know the default state would be locked and constantly broadcasting a homing signal towards the nearest government agency for collection and disposal by agents not using smart guns, all at your expense of course.
>>
>>28468649

If they amended the NFA so that I could by full autos and grenade launchers plus grenades as long as they were smart guns and they were cheap then sure.

Other than that I see mostly just downside to them so probably not.

Like someone else said. If they were really a good idea the government would already be issuing them to personnel. As Obama and the left likes to point out, we have had the technology for a while now, it would not be hard to do it if they were a good reason. Hell that kid in Colorado built one in his basement with daddies money last year. Nobody wanted them.
>>
>>28470053
This is an interesting idea. you would need to make sure the gender balance remained neutral though to ensure continued population growth, possibly offer incentives for higher achieving families to have more children as well.

Unfortunately liberals and morons currently have the same voting power as we do though, so this probably won't happen in the USA (at least at the federal level) anytime soon.
>>
>>28470032
That's why they wanted to ban the gun emoji.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbXAXYYZJxM
>>
>>28470053
>Average IQ of Jews: 115 or so
>Average IQ of whites: 102 or so
>Average IQ of asians: 106 or so
oy vey it's a reverse shoah
goyim cattle to the slaughter house
>>
>>28470103
majority rules doesn't work in mental institutions.
>>
>>28470053
>he thinks having a high IQ makes you smart
>>
Years ago people would say you cant trust an electronic sight. Well, today you can. I think we will eventually reach the point that the technology within the gun is "reliable". If something can be made to work, it can be cracked - usually. The main issue is that it doesn't add any functionality to justify its existence, it just makes the gun harder to use.
>>
>>28469798
amen
>>
>>28470053
Says the man that took an online IQ test.
>>
>>28470053
>IQ test
>Relative developmental test for children compared to peers
>Useful for anything else
>>
>>28470517
>IQ Test
>Not a good general indicator of various socioeconomic traits

It's okay anon. Most of us are somewhere near the middle of the curve, just accept your fate as genetic waste for the good of our children.
>>
>>28470525
>herp derp muh eugenics
>>
>pickpocket sees you have a special gun smart watch
>steals it
>you're fucked now
>>
>>28470120
>average

thats where you went wrong
>>
>>28468649
I want one of the watches without the gun.
>mugger snatches watch and tries to mug me
>I shoot him with a normal gun
>>
>>28470053
All fun and games until the government is overthrown by people with sub120 IQs because they won't take that shit.
>>
>>28470120
>kill about 60% of kikes
>kills about 75% of whites
>kills about 65% of Asians
>still way more whites and Asians than Jews
Someone got outschlomo'ed
>>
>>28470108
fu cking wat

yeah this is the shit we need to deal with, thanks liberals
>>
>>28470541

Go be a SJW somewhere else.
>>
>>28470579
Meh, drones and shit bruv.
>>
>>28470595
But what's the IQ of the drone operator?
Checkmate F(einstein)
>>
>>28470053
>121
>still wouldn't reproduce though, in fear of having a liberal faggot or a daughter.
>>
>>28470595
Might work for round 1, but by round 2 I guarantee you most of your drones-n-shit operators will have fallen below 120 and will turn on you.
>>
how many of y'all /k have smart type cars? conspiracy much? immobile/unshootable guns via comp chips when gov. forces/terrorist/enemies appear? good luck!
>>
>>28470595
'till the 119 IQ guy convinces the 80 IQ guy to go do the work for him. And as those guys die the relative intelligence shifts, the former 120s now become sub-120, and the over-120s shrink in size and support.
>>
>>28470702
Good luck, my gun is behind 7 proxies
>>
When things are advanced as fuck

As in, the gun is resistant to EMP, runs off of a renewable or very long lived energy source. Has a AI programmed into it. AI knows whats going on around the gun (bad guy trying to use it, you need to use it, someone needs to use it to save your life, etc). AI has personality and you ultimately develop a relationship with the one thing that can fucking save your life or take lives.
>>
>>28470731
>AI has personality and you ultimately develop a relationship with the one thing that can fucking save your life or take lives
I see where this is going..........
>>
>>28470726
haha right? and it's in a faraday cage I bet, with yer Ferrari
>>
>>28470726
yer all mechanical non electronic push start Ferrari, hahahahaha
>>
File: lawgiver.jpg (652KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
lawgiver.jpg
652KB, 1680x1260px
As soon as they get functions besides refusing to work
>>
I'll use a smart gun when they shoot laser bolts instead of bullets.
>>
>>28470735
uppote?
>>
>>28470776
>blowing up isn't a flaw, it's a feature!
2000 AD and Glockfags are still in denial
>>
File: retards.jpg (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
retards.jpg
38KB, 400x400px
>>28470781
>laser bolts
>laser
>bolts
Lasers don't work like that friendo.
>>
>>28470800
Guess I'm not getting a smart gun then.
>>
>>28470735
>>28470792
Well not exactly the guns turning into little girls, but imagine those days you talk to your rifle or making a remark, and it actually responding.
And maybe throw in an analysis and calculation suite or something.
>>
>>28470809
>>28470731
>>28470735
>literal raifu
>>
>>28468649
Basically MGS4 ID Lock guns? Nothx
>>
>>28470809
>Raifu, what's the probability of this scumbag getting wasted?
>>100%
>>
If you cheat on your raifu with another gun will she refuse to fire? Dont want that smart of a gun.
>>
File: 1363399219425.jpg (1MB, 1632x920px) Image search: [Google]
1363399219425.jpg
1MB, 1632x920px
>>28470859
>range day with new purchase
>leave raifu at home
>next time you go shooting with raifu, experience jams and mags randomly ejecting
The future of firearm maintenance is relationship counseling.
>>
>>28469977
My parents taught me not to play with lighters. It wasn't until I burnt myself that I actually stopped playing with them.
>>
File: 1375735198320.png (293KB, 800x424px) Image search: [Google]
1375735198320.png
293KB, 800x424px
>>28468649

Depends. Would you consider every police officer should only be allowed to carry a smart pistol?
>>
>>28470877
no friend, maybe a bout of jealousy here and there, but when it's serious time, such as a self defense or fighting for your life situation, the AI will know and it will be professional. Maybe trigger slap you a few times, but overall professional.
>>
Too expensive. But a gun that is safe to keep on the coffee table in the living room with no worries is pretty convenient I'd say. You can always keep it within arms reach.
>>
>>28470977
My parents taught me not to shoot myself in the fucking face like a retard and to this day I've never had an ND or an AD >>28470985
>>
>>28471039
Didn't mean to reply to >>28470985
>>
>>28470030
Unless you're someone of grave importance, you don't need a chip in your skin.
>You won't convince me shill
But seriously technology in handguns will never be practical.
>>
>>28469965
>WHAT IF in case of failure, the system would unlock the gun? Like if the default state is "unlocked" like a normal gun, and the battery operated locking mechanism actively locked it?
then you just take the battery out
>>
>>28469965
I could definitely get on board with that, guy. With some caveats, but generally I like to idea of having a concealed piece thats bound to my wrist watch or something and cant get turned against me it it comes to mano a mano stuff. I doubt it would be appropriate at its current level of technical maturity, but it might give me a little chub to think about it.
>>
>>28471082
If someone is close enough to take your gun , they're close enough to the bracelet to use it on you
>>
Ok. How about this.
When you're born, your parents takes a bit of your DNA and send it to be imprinted and made into a gun.
That gun will be given to you on your 8th birthday, where you are taught the basics of gun safety and handling. The gun will grow with you. You live with your gun, almost like a teddy bear, it is not activated to shoot until your 16th birthday. Until then, you can train with any other regular gun as you wish.

Then after your 16th birthday, it is your birth right to be with your gun 24/7. It will be beside you, through thick and thin. Can only be used by you or by your own children. And if anyone else tries to use it, especially against you, it'll kaboom itself in the most horrible fashion. It can still be repaired and regrown in a lab if you survive the ordeal.
>>
>>28470589
Go be a nazi somewhere else
>>
>>28470053
>Yes, I'm aware that this would result in ever-upward pressure on IQ as average intelligence

More like you would have IQ inflation since people would rebel and protest at not meeting the threshold. It's not child left behind but for adults.
>>
>>28471072
You wouldn't allow the locked gun to have the battery removed. The gun could only be dissembled or have the battery removed if it was either unlocked or the battery was dead (also making it unlocked)
>>
>>28468649
Seems like a lot of pointless busy work to stuff all that electronic crap on something that genuinely does not need it. It's a gun. It's purely mechanical. Doesn't need a goddamn gps smart phone google store app whatever to be of anything use.
>>
>>28470120
If we can make all dumb people go away, race won't matter.
>>
The whole point of the tech is to be reliable. All these lug nuts coming up with ways it won't work clearly haven't been involved in the production of any product whatsoever. You brainstorm from day one and have a legal team to cover your ass to make sure your product isn't inherently unsafe as far as safety regulations go. That's the entire point behind regulation. Look at the new hover board. That shit isn't legally a vehicle or a toy so it can't be regulated as either. Now the fucking thing everytime another fat ass rides it too long. The entire point behind the product is to make a long lasting safe way for operators to operate. They've already thought of all the asspulls you guys come up with as to why it won't work
> What if the burglar cuts off both my hands, what then?
Isn't a valid excuse to hate a product that Nobody is forcing you to buy
>>
>>28468649
General rule of thumb for reliability: the more complicated, the more things to go wrong.

If I'm going to rely my life on something, it's going to have the least moving parts as possible. So no, I would never trust my life to a gun that requires electronics to protect my life. Especially when I can't even use my phone without it fucking up to the point of me wanting to throw it against the wall in frustration. Which I did to my last phone. Which felt damn good.
>>
>>28471366
This logic is why I don't like fancy optics.
>>
>>28471328
California is trying damn hard to force people to buy, by legislating it to be the only option.
>>
>>28471366
but you trust your life to a car, a modern passenger airplane, most modern medical devices used in hospitals.
>>
>>28471416

I don't.
>>
>>28471416
No. I go everywhere on horseback, if it requires crossing the ocean I'll get in a good old-fashioned man o' war, and I've never been sick with anything that vegetables and gauze couldn't fix.
>>
>>28468649

Not until "smart" guns are made to be better at killing people instead of worse at it.
>>
>>28471250
That makes little sense
>>
>>28471274
People seem to think wires and a battery in something automatically makes it safer
>>
>>28468649
No.

The only tactical advantage is it protects from unauthorized access. Safe storage does the same thing.

The disadvantages are far more numerous. Failure, common in a lot of "smart"" devices (my browser app fucking froze for a second while I was writing this). My life shouldn't depend on its battery life, the only charging I want to do is putting a bullet in the chamber. Life saving devices benefit greatly from simplicity in design. By trying to combine digital technology with mechanical technology in this instance, you're trying to fix something that ain't broke. Plus what if someone else does need to use it? I just read about yet another kid defending his home from invading dindus.
>>
>>28471501
How does it not make sense?

If the battery is working the gun can lock.
If the gun is locked you shouldn't be able to use it, disassemble it, remove the battery, or otherwise access the locking mechanism. Being able to access any of that on a locked gun would be a blatant vulnerability.
When the battery is almost dead it automatically unlocks.
>>
>>28471666
So the only way to conduct maintenance on my gun and to keep the battery charged (for my mouth breathing kids who I apparently refuse to teach proper firearms safety to.) Is to let the battery die?

RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK TO CHANGE THE BATTERIES ON SMART GAT SO JIMMY DONT KILL HIMSELF.

I'll just stick to my quick access safe, thanks.
>>
>come into thread expecting discussion about how technology could be used to improve guns
>get a bunch of Fudds and conspiracy nuts talking about how it would never work or Obumer will use it to install a dictatorship
>>
>>28471765
What? No, you just unlock the gun while the battery is alive and then work on it.
>If the gun is locked you shouldn't be able to use it, disassemble it, remove the battery, or otherwise access
That is when the gun is LOCKED. I thought you would have gotten the implied "the gun can be disassembled when unlocked"
>>
>>28470525
>>IQ Test
>>Not a good general indicator of various socioeconomic traits
Yeah, that's exactly what nearly all developmental/eugenic scientists will tell you.
Just because something fits on a gaussian curve does not make it correct. IQ tests are continuously coming under criticism / being revised for failing to accurately measure certain elements of developmental traits. Even highly comprehensive IQ tests inherently exist in a vaccuum, they can't be reliably applied to other developmental analysis due to the nature of the testing itself.
>>
>>28471765
Also
>change the batteries
Anything like this would use rechargeable batteries and some sort of charging stand. There's no need to replace batteries unless the battery is completely dead won't charge - that would take several years of charging and draining during normal use
>>
>>28471126
Sounds like a shit idea. What if I'm born with, and therefore have to carry with me 24/7, a HiPoint?
>>
>>28471103
per my last:

"caveats"
"current level of technical maturity"

point is the concept arouses me.
>>
>>28468649
Well, I'm sure it will, but what's the point?

I think my own judgement is reliable enough to depend upon for my life, I don't see the point for an extra potential layer of failure with some gimmick that "totally works" but conveys no tangible benefit.
>>
>>28468649
>Would you ever consider buying a 'smart' gun?
No

>Do you think the technology will reach a point where it's reliable enough to depend upon for your life?
Probably not, even if it did no.
>>
Will the technology mature to be reliable enough to trust it with your life? Sure it will

Semiauto firearms and electronic optics used to be new technology that had questionable reliability. Now they have matured to the point of being very reliable and people trust their lives to them every single day.

That said I would never buy a smart gun
>>
>>28468649
like a fucking plastic usb gun or some shit?
only if it was hot looking
>>
>>28469798
what movie was this again?
>>
I'd be down for like mind controlled guns, like where there's no trigger or anything, but whoever owns it would have an rfid chip in their brain or something that lets them fire it. some futurey scifiey transmission method, say neutrino pulser thing in your head and a receiver in the gun, damn near nothing should be able to disrupt that signal.

Not that anything like this is going to happen in our lifetimes, or by the time the tech is possible conventional firearms are probably gonna be antiques and collector items like wall hanger katanas.
>>
>Year 2031
>Going to neighborhood Amazon drone landing pad to pick up new hoverboots
>See 3 dindus hanging around pad
>Last survivors of the Great Watermelon Famine of 2028
>Continue forward, I need these new hoverboots
>Confident that my iGun 6 can get me out of any sticky situations
>Drone comes in, get my package without incident
>As I'm walking away, hear loud grunting and shheeeeeeiiittts
>They must think my package contains a basketball or grape soda
>They start rushing towards me
>My virtual online training kicks in and I draw iGun 6
>Aim and fire at first dindu, take him out
>Take aim at second, pull trigger, nothing happens
>OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK
>WTF battery is at 78%, ID implant is within the necessary 30cm distance from iGun
>Try to run but the beasts are much faster
>Helpless as the beat me to pulp, angry that my package didn't contain the contents they so much desired
>Fading to black, it's all over now
>Look over and see iGun laying next to me
>LCD screen reads "firmware update required"
>>
>>28468649
Does your cell phone work every single time?
Ever had your computer crash?

No, I would not buy one for all these reasons and more.
>>
>>28469971
- .22lr
- $1000 price tag
- battery life
- electronics
- .22 LONG RIFLE
>>
>>28471847
Blame your cheap nigger parents.
>>
>>28469977
Crazy concept:
Kids don't need to CC, so don't give children guns.

I don't care how much gun safety you teach your kids, it's a terrible idea to just let kids have free access to a gun.
>>
>>28471765
Are you really this retarded? Not the other guy but even I get what he's saying. If the gun is locked/firing is disabled, then the battery is locked in place.

And besides, it's probably better to just screw the battery in with a hex key and charge it externally. Much more simple than a locking mechanism for the the battery case.
>>
>>28471939
The Dark Knight Rises
>>
>>28470877

>Y2k + 100
>Not having a AI Chip that you use in several guns or having a raifu harem.
>>
>>28471018
>raifu goes full auto to protect you better
>literally defies the ATF's programming to keep you safe
;-;
>>
>>28472386
>don't give children guns
But anon, how am I going to be a successful African warlord without my child army.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.