[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/, I just got my Mak but it's covered in cosmoline.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: Makarov-Pistol.jpg (61KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Makarov-Pistol.jpg
61KB, 600x600px
Hi /k/, I just got my Mak but it's covered in cosmoline. How do I clean this thing now?
>>
boil it
>>
put it in the oven at 450 for twenty minutes
>>
>>28456784
soak it in a tub of mineral spirit
>>
>>28456784
With your favorite cosmoline solvent, like say gasoline or mineral spirits. Remove the grips first so you don't mess up the bakelite.
>>
2 minutes in the microwave
>>
>>28456809
>>28456817
I will do this because it sounds safest, thank you. I assume the mags will be safe too.

What should I do to clean the grips? I have a rubber and a wood grip.
>>
CLP and q-tips
>>
File: Muckarof.jpg (324KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Muckarof.jpg
324KB, 1500x1000px
>>28456809
>>28456879

I did this. Took about 2 hours. Turned out great.
>>
>>28456784
I used my GFs hair dryer on the hottest setting and blew on it for a minute or two and then just wiped it down. Took a few passes, but it worked pretty well.

If you don't have a GF or long hair, idk what to tell you.
>>
>>28456879
Boiling it DOES work and is the cheapest way, just dry it really well
>>
>>28456879
>grips
mineral spirits is pretty gentle, spray it on the grips and wipe it off with a rag
>>
>>28456907
Wow that looks great! The one I got is a Bulgarian but was Slovenian owned according to the booklet it came with. It looks unissued and unfired.

How long did you soak it for?

>>28456925
Someone I know would be most unhappy if she discovered what I did with her precious pots. Mineral spirits it is.

>>28456935
Sounds good, thanks anon.
>>
>>28456983
*just saw that you said 2 hours, woops
>>
>>28456918
>If you don't have a GF or long hair

Is a garage heat gun too hot?
>>
>>28457008
What is it, just like a suped up hair dryer that blows hot air?
If so, it will probably work just fine.
Using my GFs hair dryer made the metal hot enough to burn to the touch, although not super hot, I just had to handle it with a rag at all times.
>>
>>28456983
you're welcome
>>
>>28457008
>>28457034
yeah heat guns are way fucking hotter than hair dryers lol. I wouldn't use one on the bakelight grip, but metal surfaces are fine
>>
Wrap your lips firmly around the muzzle and suck out the cosmoline. Then clean the slide and frame with your tongue, and now you're halfway done. After you are done cleaning the bore and exterior, remove the magazine and lay the gun on a flat surface. Insert one or two fingers into the magazine well and with a "come hither" motion scoop the cosmoline out. Finally, remove the slide and clean the remainder out with you're tongue and fingers, paying extra attention to the slide rails, chamber, and extractor.

Some don't's
>DON'T forget to visually inspect the chamber for a loaded round before cleaning.
>DON'T thank the gun afterwords, this can make the whole experience seem less meaningful.
>DON'T be forceful with you're fingers: this can damage the internals
>>
I blasted the fuck out of mine with brake cleaner
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>28457128
>>
>>28457128
Thanks gun
>>
>>28457128
Kek
>>
put it in the dishwasher.
>>
Can anyone provide detailed pics of the new maks they're selling now? I have a good condition one but want to see if these new ones are better to perhaps get another for collecting purposes.

Thx
>>
Anybody ever use kerosene to clean off cosmoline? How long did you have to soak it for. I was gunna use mineral spirits but decided to be a lazy fuck and buy kerosene and it didn't work all that great. Did the job alright, but not quite great.
>>
I put mine in the washing machine in some jean pockets

works great
>>
According to the guys that used mineral spirits, is denatured alcohol a usable substitute?
>>
>>28456784
If I buy one of theses should I switch parts out for it too shoot more easier too find ammo?
>>
>>28459829
9x18 isn't that hard to find
>>
>>28459829
at that point just get a different gun
>>
>>28458139
Kerosene worked great for me, but you have to submerge the parts and let them sit for awhile.
I also use gasoline which seems to work a little better/faster.
I've only used mineral spirits on wood and non metal parts because it doesn't have leave residual oil behind.

YMMV of course.
>>
Dammit where do you fags keep getting these. I'm jelly af.
>>
Why hasn't someone made an alloy framed mak with dovetail sight cuts yet?
>>
>>28460301
Would it being blowback matter?
>>
>>28456784
cover in gasoline and set on fire, should remove most of the cosmoline if you're lucky
>>
>>28456868
Dude that won't work.

It'll take at least 15 minutes.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.