[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/csg/ Competitive Shooting Genral

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

File: stage malfuction.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
stage malfuction.gif
2MB, 320x180px
Welcome to the first competitive shooting general. All forms of competitive shooting and shooting sports are welcome. Even boring ass Olympic shooting.
I shot GADPA at my local action shooting club last night (basically IDPA, just a few rule changes.) Got 7th out of 11 shooters, best I've ever shot competitively.
https://youtu.be/uMA_HVmhCQ8 [embed]
>>
Really? Not one of you have in interest in shooting sports?
>>
>>28453036
IDPA, but going to switch to USPSA. Screw Joyce Wilson and the rule changes.
>>
I shoot competitively but with other mil guys in gear for training. I don't find it as fun to shoot without gear on and most civilian competitions won't allow you to rock your equipment.
>>
>>28454800
Who and what? I'm still pretty casual in IDPA, don't know what you're referring to.
>>
>>28454808
IDPA does. The rules are specific to allow Mil and LEO to shoot in duty gear. You can't come.out the gear and strip stuff from you standard duty belt just for the match.
>>
I want to try IDPA once I get a holster, but have never shot competitively. How do I get started? How do I compete without failing in epic fashion?
>>
>>28454812
Joyce Wilson is the President or should I say owner of IDPA and the rules were just changed to favor slower shooters. IDPA is becoming like the handicap version of action sports shooting
>>
>>28454869
They are generally a really welcoming crowd and you can go as cheap as buying like an Uncle Mikes molded plastic holster for 15 bucks and that will work just fine for IDPA. IDPA is really rules games so if you pick up a copy of the rule book learning it inside and out you will do really well the other thing to remember is you plan the stage on the walk through than execute the plan when the buzzer goes
>>
>>28454869
Go to idpa.com and find a local club. Send them an email, find out when the next match is and much the fee is and show up. And don't worry about failing. My IDPA club is super nice and welcoming of newbies, and I've heard nothing but the same from others.
>>28454872
I noticed they changed the divisions some (for the better, I think,) but didn't notice other rule changes. What exactly were the changes?
>>
>>28454938
The down 1 zone is now down 1 second and not .5. All the other zones were increased.
>>
Does this really need a "general" thread"

fuck off
>>
>>28454850
no shit? I thought IDPA was only pistol though?
>>
>>28454938
>>28454895
Thanks fellas, looking forward to trying something different
I'd rather get a nice holster to begin with so I won't want to replace it immediately, will probably order a Galco or something since the only CZ75 holsters anybody stock locally are for SP01s (mine's a BD)
>>
>>28454980
It is. Do you carry a pistol?
>>
>>28454981
IDPA is specific as to what holsters are aloud and what holsters are not, its not by brand but by feature so things like the FBI cant, that 15 degree slant rearward are not allowed.
>>
>>28454989
Rifle primarily. Hence why I never paid much mind to IDPA
>>
>>28455040
Theres three gun, you can try that.
>>
>>28455015
Yeah I'm slightly worried about running afoul of them, but I'm planning on just a strongside, mostly vertical leather one so I imagine it should be okay.
I know there's rules regarding the size of the gap allowed between the holster and your body and minor details like that (I read all the regs before), should I be concerned about them? Or are they only an issue with a small number of holsters?
>>
>>28455061
Unless its a safety issue no one really pays attention to the holsters unless you're at a major match or sanction match
>>
File: 20160106_202752.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160106_202752.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
IDPA is ok. Got a match bump in the 2014 IDPA state match. Now I do mainly ALOT of 2 GUN.

IDPA is glock universe. Did fairly well with my glock 34, but now i'm in love with my sig p320. Just get any glock/mp or whatever plastic- fantastic with 3 magazines a decent holster and you're good to go. Dry fire, shoot shit, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>28455084
Thanks mate
When I eventually shoot a match I will let you all know how it goes
Wish I thought about this when I bought my revolver, might have gotten a Model 66 instead of a 6-inch 586 so I could use it in competition
>>
>>28454767
I shoot NSSA (skeet), ATA (trap), IHMSA (pistol silhouette), club level smallbore, and club level 100m benchrest.

I also shoot buffalo shoots and NRA handgun bullseye/combat through my club but those are leagues with no official ranking.

I am a state top 100 skeet shooter and routinely win money.

Anything in particular anyone would like to know about?
>>
File: xtrema2.jpg (8KB, 500x107px) Image search: [Google]
xtrema2.jpg
8KB, 500x107px
Any shotgun sport guys on here? I shot a couple state competitions in international skeet until NY nixed the gun related sports from the state games a few years ago. Came in the top 5 in a traveling trap league my club was involved in for a summer. Best accomplishment was a 50 straight one day during that league.

Pic related it's my sword.
>>
>>28455054
eh, too much race gear going on with three gun plus shotguns are rarely used in my career.
>>
>>28455301
Yep.

How do you like the smaller, faster, harder birds in intl skeet? Pretty good challenge desu.

I shoot a LOT of regular registered skeet and am highly competitive, but will occasionally go fuck arount with international or olympic skeet since my club has all 3.
>tfw your normal practice loads wont break an intl target
7/8oz of chilled #9s at 1120fps is pretty anemic and those are some really damn hard birds.
>>
>>28455366
Pretty fun because you have to start with the bottom corner of your buttstock below your waistline and there is a .5-3 sec delay after you call the bird. I think they fly 110mph vs the usual 55mph for american skeet. It was always a good time and when you go back to regular rules you are usually in tip top shape.

Shit man I forgot about having to use 7/8 loads for intl, it's been so long. I used to buy the B&P shells with the plastic recoil reducers in the brass. Those are the shit for reloading 1 1/8oz.

Regular is still my favorite. My club's shotgun shooters are pretty lax and fun. By the end of a summer night after most people left, we'd stretch the cord out as far as it would go and try to hit birds from station 4 like 50 feet back from the skeet field haha
>>
>>28455361
That's why I don't shoot it. Way to much shit to haul around
>>
>>28455483
I want to make my own competitive rifle shooting competition with a focus on realistic gear load outs.
>>
>>28455458
You HAVE to use 7/8oz loads? Thats news to me. Thats my normal American skeet practice load because its super cheap and emulates lower gauges well (I shoot a lot of 28ga and .410 but their hulls dont last as long and are crazy expensive so I practice with 7/8oz 12ga and 3/4oz 20ga).

However, a hot 7/8oz load is 1400fps and fucking smokes birds.

I shoot a Citori 725 Skeet that Ive done some work on.
>>
>>28454963
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. It's tough to find an exact balance of speed vs accuracy to best simulate what it takes to actually win a gun fight.
Can you tell me more about the difference with USPSA? My understanding is USPSA doesn't have rules about cover, you can shoot the targets in any order you want, it values speed over accuracy more, and there are divisions for race guns. Any other significant differences?
>>
So IPDA guys, I have a walther pps and two 7rd and one 8 rd mag. is that going to work or should I buy some extra mags for my fathers m&p and a holster for it?
>>
>>28455458
Have you ever shot Chinese trap (or jap trap or any of probably dozens of other names for it)?

Its trap off the skeet stations. Very long range shooting, usually challenging severe angles. All shots are over 35 yards and most are pushing 60.
>>
File: gs.jpg (67KB, 615x717px) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
67KB, 615x717px
>>28455533
IIRC the NY state games followed standard international rules and they required us to use 7/8oz loads size of shot and brand were up to the shooter but they did ammo checks everyday before shooting.

The citoris are nice, I had a friend that had one for sporting clays. I used a remington spartan for a while with great success. One xmas my parents got me the beretta extrema2 and that thing is amazing. Hydrolic recoil absorber in the stock, 3 1/2" magnum turkey loads and super long extended chokes. (xxFull, turns clay to clouds of dust)
>>
>>28455609
No but that sounds really fucking cool
>>
>>28455538
It's like F1 v. NASCAR. IDPA decided it was better to be slower. It's a bone thrown to old guys with bad knees.
>>
>>28455596
Shoot what you got.
>>
>>28455596
That'd work fine. You could shoot CCP, or maybe even BUG, with that. Those have an 8 and 6 round mag limit respectively.
>>
>>28455702
I haven't had a chance to try IPSC, but I still like IDPAs use of cover and prioritizing targets. Although I think the divisions and mag limits need to be revised. How I would do it:
Full Size: 15 rounds
Compact: 12-13 rounds
Subcompact: 10 rounds
Single Stack: 8 rounds (Can't leave out the 1911 guys.)
Revolver: 6 rounds
Maybe a subcompact revolver too, with 5-6 round limit.
>>
>>28453036
Is tilted range a new thing?
>>
>>28455865
Camera wasn't on straight.
>>
>>28455848
I would build a stage book so MDs can't make dangerous stages. Then put the classifier in the stages, like uspsa
>>
>>28455884
They have set stages? How many, and how often do they update it?
>>
>>28455678
American skeet I normally shoot cyl/cyl with 1oz loads (yes I compete with light loads) of chilled (soft) 9s. Olympic skeet I shoot 1oz HV loads of magnum (hard) 8s in 12ga, and factory AAs/AA clones in the sub gauges.

Love my clitoris. Understated elegance and ergos OOTB that feel like they were custom made for me. I have an SKB 600 3 barrel set and a Kreighoff K32 also and dont shoot them nearly as well.

$2300 shotgun with a $1600 subgauge tube set in a $500 case seems a little ridiculous sometimes though.

As far as work Ive done to it Ive done 11" extended forcing cones and custom reamed all the chokes. Did the work myself.
>>
>>28455874
NO SHIT REALLY?!
>>
>>28455688
When youre shooting well it is probably the most fun Ive had outside of hunting.

When youre not shooting well it can be supremely frustrating.

An excellent round of chinese trap typically has a <50% hit rate, and its pretty common to miss 4-5 targets in a row til you figure out the lead. It definitely favors instinctive shooting and swing through leads over mechanical shooting with sustained lead.
>>
Dude I dont know shit about competitive shooting but Id like to learn. Where do I start? How do I start?
Im a pretty inexpierenced shooter but Id like to do something with my guns that isnt just shooting paper.
>>
>>28455959
Well there's dozens of different of kinds of competitive shooting, what kind are you interested in?
My personal favorite is action shooting, which involves moving from cover to cover, shooting on the move, shooting moving targets, and shit like that. In theory, it's to simulate actual gun fights. Leagues are mostly split up by what kind of guns you use (pistols, 3-gun) and if you're into LARPing you can check out cowboy action shooting, where you dress up, go by a "cowboy name" and shoot SA revolvers and lever actions.
There's also multiple forms of simulated hunting. Silhouette shooting, clay pigeon shooting, actual hunting competitions.
Then there's just regular old bullseye shooting, and a dozen more kinds of shooting comps I don't know off the top of my head.
>>
File: up.jpg (164KB, 850x1280px) Image search: [Google]
up.jpg
164KB, 850x1280px
I used to shoot trap and skeet competitively, but now I do it just for fun.
>>
>>28455959
As the other guy said, theres hundreds of flavors of competition.

Lets start with some info.
>what do you own?
>what do you enjoy or have interest in?
>what is your budget?
Unless all you own is a nugget there should be multiple competitions you can get into without buying much if any new gear. Even if all you have IS a nugget I can think of at least 2 competitions you can get into.
>>
>>28456026
I like rifles mostly
But 3 gun sounds cool.
Where do I even find people who are doing this? I dont even know where to sign up. How much expierence do I need to play?
>>
>>28456041
Started doing sporting clays this summer. My group is old men that have retired from the company I work at. I'm the youngest by 40 yrs. They have shotguns that are thousands of dollars. I'm 23 and shoot with a Remington 870 express. Fucking love it.
>>
>>28456068
I own an AR.
Also just bought a scattergat today. Ive been holding off on what handgun to pick up because I havent decided.
I have some gear like a chest rig but you typicaly cant wear stuff like that right? Idk how else to hold my mags though.
>>
>>28456106
There are a few big 3-gun associations (I don't know them off the top of my head.) If you check their site I'm sure they have club finders. I'm pretty sure there are also independent 3-gun matches. Check your local ranges and ask if they hold any.
And as long as you know basic safety and handling, most places will let you compete. You may not win, but you'll have fun.
>>
>>28456106
Ask around the local ranges and check social media to find competitions.

Signup information is usually posted well in advance of the match.

You only need basic safety competency, 3gun shooters are almost always really welcoming and willing to teach.
>>
File: 8ZGlH.png (19KB, 400x487px) Image search: [Google]
8ZGlH.png
19KB, 400x487px
>>28456131
>no perazzi
>>
>>28456172
Kreighoff>Blaser>Perazzi
>>
>>28456172
I'm poor m8. Buying a house and got no monies for dem fancy over unders or semis, least of all a perazzi
>>
File: bill.gif (115KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
bill.gif
115KB, 500x278px
>>28456189
>when you can't afford the sporting clays arms race
>>
>>28456131
How do you stack up in rank?
>>
>>28456148
Well, that opens up a lot of options.

2 gun is rifle and pistol typically, but Ive seen a few rifle+shotgun matches. There are independent combat carbine competitions at the local level all over the US too. You can also shoot silhouette and informal benchrest with an AR.
>>
>>28456208
Yep. Thats why I shoot a Browning.

I have a K32, but it was inherited, and they were comparatively cheap back in the day (considering a K32 is identical to a Remington 32).
>>
File: 1451610954077.jpg (360KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451610954077.jpg
360KB, 685x960px
How do you guys practice for 3-gun? (And how do you afford to shoot enough to git gud, if you shoot heavy metal? Lots of reloading?)
>>
>>28456357
Low restriction ranges or homebrew setups innawoods, fitness training, lotsa dryfire and draw practice.

Steel cased or reloading. Actual matches are normally not terrible on round counts, but if you wanna be competitive you need to shoot a minimum of 10x as many practice rounds.
>>
>>28454981

I used a 92FS Blackhawk Serpa holster for my CZ-75BD for IDPA.
>>
Getting my CC and theres IDPA comps in the town I live in while going to school. How patient are they for people looking to shoot who really don't care about placing/times and just want to get better at shooting in general?
>>
>>28457555
At my club, and every club I've heard of, VERY. They're super welcoming of people of all skill levels, as long as you're safe with it.

So has anyone heard of the International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts? I heard of it recently, and can't figure out if it's modern DA or cowboy SA.
>>
File: midflight.jpg (584KB, 1725x968px) Image search: [Google]
midflight.jpg
584KB, 1725x968px
>>28456357
it's not so hard, I mean practice your fundamentals and all you really need to work on is moving quickly and drawing your handgun.
>>
>>28457627
Thanks, if money and work/school permits I'd like to try it. Seems fun and the ability to learn a bit.
>as long as you're safe with it
Understandable, thats part of the why I don't care about time. Rather go slow and not fuck up than too fast for time.
>>
lol lose some weight fatty
>>
>>28457684
You can learn a lot from competition. Shooting under stress is a whole new experience.
>>28457707
Are...are you talking to me (OP)? You literally can not see me in the video, other than my hands.
>>
File: 1445714162184.jpg (101KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1445714162184.jpg
101KB, 1080x1920px
Lone 3P smallbore / Air Rifle shooter here...
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.