[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1911 Safety Falling Out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: broken 1911.jpg (112KB, 464x608px) Image search: [Google]
broken 1911.jpg
112KB, 464x608px
>buy used (looked unfired) 'mil-spec' 1911 from LGS for $380 out-the-door
>get it home, pack up the range bag
>thumb safety falls out of 1911 when in the safe position with the hammer back

I'm not carrying it and the plunger holds the thumb safety in the frame when in the fire position, but what the fuck? Is it broker or is it possible it was assembled incorrectly?

The Safety will only slide on when the hammer is fully cocked and in the safe position. Otherwise it's fine. Doesn't even matter since I never use manual safeties anyway, but 1911s are something I know the ins-and-outs of.
>>
>>28446624

The Safety will only slide OUT when the hammer is fully cocked
>>
>>28446624
check the plunger tube for a spring
that plunger should be touching the thumb safety regardless of position

you can only pull the thumb safetly out when its in the cocked position thats normal but the plunger should be keeping it from just falling out
>>
File: Safety.jpg (535KB, 1489x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Safety.jpg
535KB, 1489x1079px
>>28446669

Okay, so this is not normal. The plunger should be contact the Safety when in the safe position.
>>
>>28446710
yeah thats not normal the springs either missing or really weak
>>
File: 17plungersout.jpg (63KB, 986x739px) Image search: [Google]
17plungersout.jpg
63KB, 986x739px
what you pull out should look like this
>>
>>28446785
>>28446744
>>28446669

Thanks mate. I'll figure out how to disassemble it to that point and check. May just be binding up somehow. Thanks.
>>
>>28446796
since its spring loaded and under tension normally the whole assembly flys out the second you remove the thumb safety

you might need to pull it out with pliers if its stuck or remove the slidestop and thumb safety and push it out from the front with a paperclip or something
>>
>>28446836

Good info, thanks.
>>
Are series 70 1911 really better than series 80? That's what my old man and all the elderly folks at the range keep telling me. I know there's a fob or something on the 80 but thats all I know as far as differences
>>
>>28446879

Series 70 will have a better trigger
>>
>>28446854
oh i should add if the springs a little bent in the middle this is also normal some manufacturers do it so it wont immediately fly out when you remove the thumb safety

i dont think that will affect you right now somethings actually wrong your gun cause the plunger isnt sticking out far enough but its something to keep in mind
>>
>>28446879
The 80's has an enhanced drop safety design. Series 70's seem to be safe enough without the safety, especially with a lightweight firing pin.

The 80's have slightly more workings in the trigger, but from what i've heard, either can be tuned to be excellent.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.