[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sporterizing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 16

What are the advantages to sporterizing a firearm (if any). Why would anyone do it if they don't have to?
>>
To be sporty?
Dumbass
>>
>>28442814

Lighter for taking out in the bush for hunting with.
>>
>>28442814

It made some sense back when a surplus Enfield was $12. Lots cheaper than an off the shelf option. Nowadays even beat to shit milsurp is worth something and many cost more than many entry level economy hunting rifles.
>>
>>28442968
>many cost more than many entry level economy hunting rifles
lolno

>>28442814
Weighs less. They do it because they don't care about the gun's history/what it was, and think they're never going to sell it, or that the gun isn't worth much so it doesn't matter if it gets butchered because there are plenty others out there.
>>
>>28442814
Reasons why people do it
>Don't care about history of firearm
>"EUGH WOOD'S TOO HEAVY BETTER THROW FUCKING POLYMER ON IT"
>They did it at a time when the gun was extremely plentiful, like if you were to sporterize a Mossberg Patriot, no one would give a shit because they're still making them. They're plentiful.
>People pick up a rifle not knowing what it is, just thinking it's an old wooden rifle not worth anything, they turn it into a project and scrap all the old parts.

I hate the idea of sporterized rifles, at least old milsurp ones.
I'm trying to fix an old Mauser sporter that I got at a gunshow in Nebraska a while back. Just recently got a stock for it, and now just gonna find the old barrel, safety lever, and trigger assembly.
>>
>>28443083
so you're fixing a sporter by basically building a new gun?
>>
>>28443103
Essentially trying to restore it to it's original configuration. Yeah, numbers won't match, but fuck it.
>>
>>28443114
what's still going to be original on it? just the bolt and receiver?
>>
>>28443083
i used to know a guy that had the same axe for 30 years and only replaced the head and the handle
>>
>>28443141
Sadly yeah. Got it for cheap though.
>>
>>28442814
>>28442814
I pisses me off that someone humped a rifle all across europe. but those few extra pounds mean you cant hump it into the bush for a few hours
>>
>>28443083
>don't care about the history
>were plentiful at the time
Kind of sad how ignorant some people are. Like this one video I saw of a guy with a Mosin, "These will always be an easily buyable and cheap weapon..."
>>
>>28443178
Yeah, until right about now where the price has been skyrocketing since about two years ago
>>
>>28443189
>>28443178
they're still easy to come by for about $150. Still, absolutely fucking stupid to assume that something that will never be produced again will stay cheap forever.
>>
>>28443206
In Kansas they're going up. Bought my first one a year ago for $160, and this newer one recently for about $190 Checked around many places and that was definitely one of the cheaper prices.
>>
>>28443172
google ship of Theseus.
>>
>>28443176
Back in the day, the people sporterizing were the people who humped that same rifle all across Europe. There is nothing inherently wrong with sporterizing a rifle. You have to realize that most people aren't gun autists like anons on /k/, and they value a lighter rifle in the bush than muh history.
>>
>>28443239
across europe and across africa and india
>>
>>28442814
Taking off weight.
Making it look more "American" and thus (at least to uneducated fudds) more "valuable"
>>
>>28443239
so buy a rifle that's already light. how much weight do you actually save cutting off a foot or so of stock?
>>
>>28443272
It kills me to see fudds trying to sell their shitty sporters for more than an untouched gun.
>>
>>28443238
That's actually a VERY good point.
>>
>>28443314
>I PUT $UNREALISTICAMOUNT INTO THIS GUN, SO THIS IS ACTUALLY A BARGAIN!!!! I KNOW WHAT I GOT!
>>
Attach scope leave sights and stock alone.
>>
>>28443003
>>many cost more than many entry level economy hunting rifles
>lolno
go find a gunbroker sald MKIII enfield for the price of a factory scoped savafe axis m8, we're waiting.
>>
>>28443276
No, I'm saying that the concept of sporterization was founded by men coming back from the wars and modifying the most readily-available rifles of the times (which were milsurp) to be more handy for hunting. Most people didn't exactly have a ton of money to buy as many guns as they wanted.

I find it amusing that you think you know better than the people who actually USED those rifles you care about so much in combat.
>>
>>28443493
>cherrypicking guns to try to pretend you weren't wrong
I can find you a mosin, a mauser, an enfield, a krag, an arisaka, a 1911, and plenty of other old surplus guns for cheaper.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 782x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 782x394px
>>28443656
Not that anon, but p-please find me a mauser and an arisaka
>>
>>28443158
Shitty paraphrasing of a "meh" tier quote is bad and you should feel bad.
>>
>>28443760
only if you tell me the source of that picture.

seriously though, just go to armslist or gunbroker and type in arisaka or mauser.
>>
>>28443656
>says he can find all these non nugget surplus guns for less than a modern savage
>proves it by not being able to do such
gg
>>
>>28442968
Or when you could pick a type 99 off a dead jap and bring it home.
>>
File: not quite right.jpg (12KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
not quite right.jpg
12KB, 500x381px
>>28443158
>>
>>28443276
You're missing the point of sporterizing these rifles. They were dirt cheap and plentiful after WWII and there was plenty of ammo. Cutting the rifle up and scoping it was cheaper than buying a new sporting rifle.
>>
>>28443829
really? you're actually this incapable of doing anything yourself? you were wrong. I don't know why this is so hard for people to admit.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4877972/charlotte-north-carolina-antiques-for-sale--turkish-mauser-gew--98-8mm
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4344364/orlando-florida-rifles-for-sale--wwii-japanese-arisaka-7-7mm-bolt-action
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4862748/racine-wisconsin-rifles-for-sale--springfield-1898--30-40-krag-sporterized
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4701376/california-rifles-for-sale--mosin-nagant-crate
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4900703/atlanta-georgia-rifles-for-sale--rfi-enfield-no-i-mk-iii-
http://www.armslist.com/posts/5028098/joplin-missouri-rifles-for-sale--swiss-1911--k1911--schmidt-rubin-rifle

the krag you won't find for cheap unmolsted for cheap, atleast not spending 30 seconds on armslist. now can you fuck off?
>>
File: 1433982010897.jpg (659KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1433982010897.jpg
659KB, 1728x1152px
Confession I guess, I want to turn a mosin into something like this...
>>
File: 1440593553721.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1440593553721.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>>28444195
or this....eventhough im often against sporterizing.
>I don't mind sporterizing if its done tastefully.
>>
>>28444099
This makes me really mad for some reason
>>
>>28444217
>>28444195
alternatively, you could just take a bone stock mosin, add a long eye relief scope on the provided 3/8 dovetail, add a rubber buttplate, and attach one of these. That way if you want to sell it ever, you don't have to try to pass on a version of a gun most people aren't interested in and you won't have butchered a gun with some history.
>>
>>28444289
apparently they have pictures of almost exactly that, except they used a scout mount instead of the 3/8 dovetail already on the gun.
>>
>>28444289
>>28444324
I wouldn't be selling it, and the shorter length is what is appealing. It gives off a Safari express rifle vibe which tickles my autism in all the right places. In Canada, we see a lot of sporterized Enfields going for dirt cheap as well, usually 150-400.
>>
>>28444324
Is that a scope ring welded to the bolt on the top one?
>>
>>28442814
because its my gun and I'll do whatever I want with it. Shall not be infringed. Even in sporterizing.
>>
>>28444217

That looks pretty good. I'll take one.
>>
>>28444289
>>28444324
Also something like this is cool too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBBUyAloVc
>yes i know this was done to a mosin with a bent barrel
>>
>>28442814
Dat der cutting makes it a whole 1/32 pound lighter I tell you.
You don want to be dragging all that extry weight around while sittin in the durr stand
>>
>>28444180
I award you no points in your sad internet argument.
I will however give you a 10% off coupon to Sizzler for you effort in providing free entertainment.
>>
>>28444492
>the shorter length is what is appealing
so take an m38 or m44.
>>28444541
I.. I don't actually know. I didn't notice that before. They're probably just something they added on to them to make the safety easier to use. I found replacing the shitty firing pin spring made mine incredibly easy to use though.
>>
>>28444684
this is just getting sad, dude.
>>
>>28442814

Only pussies sporterize anything.

Now, if you end up in Civil War 2.0 and your (insert rifle here) has too much weight on it, by all means cut the fucker down and carve your name in it.
>>
>>28444541
>Is that a scope ring welded to the bolt on the top one?
>>28444718
>.. I don't actually know.

No, it's a ring piece that is meant to clamp onto the safety knob for easier manipulation. I forget who makes them.

Really interested in the scope mounts...
>>
>>28444589
I have no problem with sporterizing guns that are fubar to make them usable again.
I'm not sure how much they had to lop off of the barrel, but I would have probably tried to get an m38 or m44 stock to put on it instead.
>>
>>28443158
Was his name Theseus?Your /out/ is showing
>>
>>28444865
there's a 3/8 dovetail underneath the rear sight. you remove one pin, then slide off the rear sight, and you've got yourself a usable 3/8 rail. Pair it with a long eye relieve scope, and you have a scout mosin that's completely reversible if you ever want it in its original configuration.
or you could get one of those scout mounts, which is made by brass stacker. same guys that make the pouch.
http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/

either way, you're not doing anything permanent to the gun. using the dovetail is just cheaper.
>>
>>28443239
Too bad about all the tears that come from making a rifle more suitable to put food on the table for generations. Not saying people should chop up everything they come across but As long as they aren't butchered idgaf.

Funny how this "much history" is applied to rifles and not vets eh.
>>
>>28444984
>You can't kill animals unless you chop off .2lbs of wood from the stock
>>
>>28443500

Not even the guy you're talking to, but
>I find it amusing that you think you know better than the people who actually USED those rifles you care about so much in combat.

Come on now. Being a grunt counts for absolutely jack shit when it comes to being knowledgeable about firearms.

A small minority of soldiers ever actually fire a weapon in combat.

Average American WWII Soldier:
>live on farm in BFE Nebraska
>get drafted
>rushed through boot
>pushed onto a ship
>spend six months guarding a truck depot in France
>get cycled back home
>wars over
>get ETS'd
>go to college on GI bill and have impressive amounts of sex with wife, inadvertently creating the worst generation of Americans that ever existed

Next time you think the average soldier knows anything about guns, spend a day at a shooting range in a military town. You'll come to new conclusions very quickly.
>>
File: 1316393616374.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1316393616374.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>28442814
There are zero advantages to it. The people who chop up rifles rarely know what they are doing so it never comes out how they see it in their mind. They think that it will be vastly better than how it was before, the way the designers and engineers envisioned it. Kind of like that 17 year old's riced out '95 Civic. It looks and sounds like shit, but to they think it's so cool.

In the end all the bubba fucked guns get thrown into the closet, under the bed, in the basement, in the attic because bubba found out that his hacked up monstrosity he created never lived up to what he wanted it to be and he finally goes out and buys a Remchester that he really wanted.
>>28443500
>I find it amusing that you think you know better than the people who actually USED those rifles you care about so much in combat.
Knowing how to shoot a gun and knowing how it actually works is completely different. Your typical Ex-GI won't know that chopping the stock and/or barrel up most likely will destroy the zeroing of the sights for instance.

In one chapter of Hatcher's notebook he talks about how after WWII there was a lot of former soldiers opening up their "gun customization" shops and didn't have a clue about what they were doing.
>>
>>28444984
That's sadly ironic.
>>
>>28444964

>Suddenly scope options

I don't want to be that guy, but fuck I wish I had a reason (and glass) to try it with.
>>
>>28445046
>>28444984
I don't condone cutting up and sporterizing the vets either.
>>
>>28445037
That depends. Going full retard like in your pic, maybe. But a few tasteful mods? A bent bolt, a decent scope mount, shaving down the weight by chopping and recrowning the barrel and removing that ugly ass wood barrel furniture; your sporterized nugget could be your favorite gun, if you understand what really makes a gun better, and what is just tacticool faggotry.
>>
>>28445064
you could get a cheap shitty ebay scope if you wanted to just to try it out.
>>
>>28445118

Either that or I cut the clamp mount off my useless LPS scope, but that doesn't have long enough relief.
>>
>>28445114
>removing that ugly ass wood barrel furniture
why are you even here?
>>
>>28445136
you need about 10" of relief I think.
>>
>>28444789
I know right? He put all that work into finding examples and none are any good
>>
>>28444984
/k/ would probably be upset if you decapitated vets, too.
>>
>>28445046
Isn't it. History isnt one point in time of a person or objects life. A sporterized rifles gets a new life after the war and continues to be useful and people will bitch because it's not original.

A man goes to war BARELY a man and either come back changed or absolutely stuck in the war and people bitcj about that for differ reasons but wont do shit about it.

And half these tards would be drooling on themselves if the guns we're modified IN theatre but afterwards? Heresey.

"Hurr it's ruined because they removed 12 inches of wooden heat shield, what's to protect the hands after long exchanges with deer?"

Ill shut up before I ramble too far down the hole
>>
>>28442814
For letting yourself be known so that people can fucking hate you for ruining a once complete beautiful gun.
>>
>>28445014
I feel bad for you.
You put work into this.
>>
>>28445014
>>28445037
I didn't suggest that they sporterized them to improve the weapon. They did it to cut down on a bit of weight. The post I was replying to suggested that those who sporterized their guns were too weak to carry them on a hunting trip when manly men carried them across Europe, when in fact it was those same manly men who did the sporterizing.

Personally, I prefer the look of a full-stock milsurp rifle, but I don't get rump-roasted at the thought of people doing it to theirs, because I am not an autist.
>>
>>28442814
I feel that sporterizing is a result of the incessant need to spend money on new, shiny things. It's the same reason people buy shitloads of accessories and end up dumping 1000$ into a 700$ AR15. They like to spend money, they like new, shiny things, and some folks confuse "new and different" with "better".
>>
>>28445205
>They did it to cut down on a bit of weigh
Do you know how completely insignificant that amount of weight is? I know, muh ultralighter every ounce matters.
and do you really think all the rifles that are getting chopped up today are being chopped up by people that carried them? how many US vets do you think carried a fucking mosin or mauser or lee enfield?
>>
>>28445108
>>28445172

Go tell them they should keep it high and tight while walking around in full battle rattle every time they leave the house.
>>
>>28445271
that's a horrible comparison. can you just stop using it? Comparing people that fought in a war to the rifles they used when fighting is fucking stupid.
>>
>>28445254
I was talking about when sporterizing first became a thing. You realize that it's not a recent phenomenon, right?
>>
>>28445286
Nope. Getting upset about something that's still perfectly useful because how it looks based on what you think it should be is stupid
>>
>>28445208
Better is a subjective term. You think something is better when it's in its original condition. What you fail to realize is what the fuck difference does it make to you that other people do what they want with their shit? Keep getting mad that people have the freedom to do whatever they want to their inanimate objects because MUH HISTORY. Once you realize that your life does not change at all because all the milsurp rifles are gone you'll live a much happier life not worrying about petty shit.
>>
>>28445326
Back then they did it and achieved nothing.
Today they still do it and achieve nothing.
I'm not sure why it matters if it was back when it first became a thing, or now.
>>
>>28445140
To argue that sporterizing old military rifles is not only acceptable, but beneficial if done right and done to a gun that doesn't have collector value.
And in my opinion, the wood barrel cover on the 91/30 is ugly as fuck. On the m44 I like it, but the 91/30 just has too much wood.
>>
>>28445355
>what the fuck difference does it make to you that other people do what they want with their shit?
Because they then try to sell their shit and mark up the price. They reduced the number of intact examples of that gun by 1, and then they didn't even want it after they fucked it up.
>hey guys, why are you upset that I just painted eyebrows on the mona lisa? Once you realize that you life doesn't change at all because this painting is different you'll live a much happier life not worrying about petty shit
>>
>>28445357
>it achieves nothing

It literally makes the gun lighter by removing unneeded wood. Soldiers tend to roll around and drop things a bit more often than the average fudd hunter, they don't need that much wood to prevent the barrel from getting fucked.
>>
>>28445357
Back then, just like now, milsurp was typically cheaper than new production guns. So whatever their motivation for sporterizing, there wasn't this modern concern about ruining some historical artifact because that shit was like 10 years old and everyone and their dog had one. It would be the equivalent of getting outraged every time someone buys a plain AR and puts some faggy handguard on it.
>>
>>28445420
you drive a stock civic with a stripped interior on the street, don't you?
>>
>>28445357
A bent bolt and a scope mount makes a good gun into a great gun. You shave off the weight on the barrel to balance the weight of the scope and mount. You end up with a package roughly the same weight, instead of 10-20% heavier. You can enhance the function of the weapon, but you have to make compromises somewhere.
There's a reason bolt action rifles don't come with 90deg bolt handles anymore.
>>
>>28445412
But if you own an intact version, than they're effectively raising it's value for you. You should be happy.
>>
>>28445412
That could work if there we're hundreds of thousands of mona Lisa's created to arm people as quickly as possible.

Do you get made when people buy old ALICE gear then add kidney pads, frames or malice clips to them
>>
>>28445431
That has nothing to do with the conversation, nor does it prove the theory that "it does nothing"

You just have to accept that there are morons in the world who decided to cut up a stock because they wanted to, even if you don't see the value in why yourself.
>>
>>28444180
OP said no nuggets or sporterized guns. You linked to two sporterized krags, a crate of nuggets, and a few of the shittiest guns you can get, that being the arisaka, and an Ishapore enfield.
>>
>>28445474
I never responded to OP. and I only linked one krag, which I specifically said you might not be able to find instantly for cheaper than the cheapest entry level scoped hunting rifle.
the statement I responded to was
>>28442968
>Nowadays even beat to shit milsurp is worth something and many cost more than many entry level economy hunting rifles.
>>
>>28445442
>great gun
For shooting within 100yds?

Hah. I hope you realize most hunters don't take a shot past 70yds. The "great rifle" with a drilled receiver and scope you're talking about is only beginning to become useful past 300yds.
>>
>>28445558
all hunters take shots past 300 yards, pussy ass nigga. you're just a bad hunter. I took a 44 point buck from 900 yards before.
>>
>>28445558
I've taken a buck at 250+
I didn't rangefind him before the shot, but we measured the distance as nearly three hundred paces, and a tree near him we ranged at 270.
>>
>>28444195
>>28444217
who sells this?
>>
>>28445597
taking unnecessarily far shots isn't really something to brag about. but good for you, dude.
>>
File: remington700[1].jpg (16KB, 650x155px) Image search: [Google]
remington700[1].jpg
16KB, 650x155px
>>28445598
Remington.
>>
>>28445614
>unnecessarily
If you have the shot, and you're reasonably confident in your abilities, then why not take it? Why waste effort and time trying to get closer when you don't need to? I put the bullet right through his heart, by the way, so don't give me that "it's unethical to take a shot past 200 yards" bullshit.
Besides, 250 is not excessive, >>28445578
>900 is
>>
>>28444217
All it needs is a scope
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>28445699
>>
>>28445751
>aiming for the head
>ever
Heartshot, dude. If you miss, you still hit the lungs.
>>
>>28444217
Here's a perfect example of a well-done sporter.

First- most folks these days have never seen the work of the GODS from years past. All you've been exposed to are shit from gunshows that were bubba'd. Look at this Mosin- that's a practical rifle that would be perfect to hunt deer with. Clean, simple, open sights- just minimalist perfection.
>>
>>28445826
>Look at this Mosin

What?
>>
>>28445849
Look closer.
>>
File: not this.jpg (31KB, 600x219px) Image search: [Google]
not this.jpg
31KB, 600x219px
Not like this....
>>
File: but this.jpg (51KB, 1200x420px) Image search: [Google]
but this.jpg
51KB, 1200x420px
But more like this
>>
>>28445849
it's a sporterized mosin.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=classicarchive&Number=150441&page=0&fpart=4
>>
>>28443083
There is a guy I used to know who sporterized old milsurp just for resale and because he enjoys it

I refused to even speak to him after that
>>
File: vintage sporter 2.jpg (29KB, 937x333px) Image search: [Google]
vintage sporter 2.jpg
29KB, 937x333px
And so on
>>
File: sporter 1888.jpg (215KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
sporter 1888.jpg
215KB, 630x420px
how about this 1888?
>>
>>28445974
they don't look bad. But I don't really understand the purpose when you can buy things that look exactly like that already, and shoot a lot better. I guess maybe if you're too poor to afford them?
>>
Timex or Rolex. Wonder bread or Marble Rye. McDonalds or a 1/2 lb buffalo meat burger with two kinds of cheese and half an avocado.
>>
>>28446031
yeah. is that not a valid reason?
>>
>>28446157
Which is which in your comparison? Milsurp being the cheap piece of shit version compared to the version that's actually good?
>>
>>28445826
>>28445826
How much would it take for a smith to do something like that?
>>
>>28446190
>paying a gunsmith to ruin a gun
>>
>>28446157
>ruining a burger by putting avocado on it
>>
>>28446229
>shall not be infringed goes both ways
>>
>>28445108
I do
>>
>>28446254
agreed, a fatwa on all non guacamole avocado products.
>mfw California rolls
>>
>>28446412
heh, another guy from /hm/. small 4chan
>>
>>28446256
what?
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.