[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Refinishing a Mosin? Part Duex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 20160103_024541.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160103_024541.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
tl;dr pic related the mosin of topic

>Bought a mosin from a guy's car
>Told me beforehand that he overheated the handguard piece, trying to pull cosmoline out with heat gun
>Fuck that, I can get that shit fixed no prob
>Go to /k/
>Guy tells me I can do this

"you can fix it easily OP, everyone else who posted is an idiot. just need to dissolve the varnish again. take a towel or rag soaked in some solvent like denature alcohol and wipe it around teh hand guard, dont use too much though. if alot of the varnish is missing, just get some shellac and put a little on. russian shellac is literally the easiest finish to maintain and redo, it takes like 1 second to revarnish and looks good as new"

Would rubbing alcohol work just as well as mineral spirits? If so, the most I can find at the store is 91%, should that be good enough to properly dissolve it and move it around?
>>
>>28441579
If you can't find mineral spirits DON'T use rubbing alcohol. Use brake cleaner, it's easier on the wood
>>
>>28441622
I can find mineral spirits easy, I just figured RA would be cheaper
>>
So I'm not getting this to work, and flakes of the shellac are missing as well. Anyone know what brand/color/etc would be best for matching the classic Mosin Nagant color?
>>
>>28442525
You need real shellac flakes and dye to try and match Russian shellac.
Or vinyl records
>>
>>28442548
Any idea where I'd even start to find that stuff?
>>
>>28442562
I bought mine from woodcraft but even they are stopping carrying shellac flakes because people just use the premixed shellac esque stuff
>>
>>28442662
Eh I might just use Cherry stain and polyurethane instead. Found a site where a guy redid his, and it looks fantastic and original, so I'll just go with that.
>>
>>28441579
Don't ask here, go to woodworking places (including taking the actual weapon stock to an actual woodworking store (like Rockler)). Those guys a) love weapons (as anyone working with wood and/or metal probably does) b) make stocks often c) know what to do with them.

Meanwhile, google up how to refinish shellac.
>>
>>28441579
where in the flying blue fuck do i buy a mosin?

no gun stores around have one in stock. Goddammit i just want a Mosin so bad
>>
>>28441579
>buys 100 year old rifle
>says he can fix it
>can't fix it
>>
>>28441579
haha, that was me who wrote that OP. wow i feel so special for some reason. OP do you live in america? if so everything you need is at home depot, lowes, or ace hardware.

ok first of all, youre just doing a touch up not a full restoration. most of the shellac finish is still there, its just broken up/ugly right now. russians used shellac on their mosins for the varnish. shellac is literally one of the easiest finishes to maintain and touch up. rubbing alcohol will work just fine, although in my experience it tends to be a little stronger than mineral spirits. just use a little bit. you arent trying to strip a lot of finish off, the idea is to just dissolve a little bit of the varnish and wipe it around for the touch up.

to summarize:
>Take rag, put a little alcohol on it (little goes a long way)
>Rub evenly the longway along affected areas of handguard
>Youll see a brown red sludge paste form, use light strokes or youll pull off too much finish
>let it dry, you done
>well, after dry, rub with a dry rag just to make smoother
>>
>>28447554
worst case, if too much finish is missing, just grab some shellac from hardware store and apply over affected areas, no need to strip the ugly areas, it will blend over when the undercoat dissolves with the solvent in the repair coat you are applying
>>
File: 334.gif (212KB, 1166x875px) Image search: [Google]
334.gif
212KB, 1166x875px
>>28444369
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.