[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting Cults

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 14

File: 1451434157900.png (85KB, 600x181px) Image search: [Google]
1451434157900.png
85KB, 600x181px
Hey, /k/! It's /tg/ here; I was hoping to benefit from your generous knowledge of history, weapons, and matériel, if you have the time.

The long and short of it is that I'm part of a group playing Call of Cthulhu- we've been set up in 1925 as part of what is essentially a black-budget FBI operation to infiltrate and take down a world-spanning cult. To this end, we have a substantial budget. We've been debating on what would be the best conveyance in terms of bang-for-buck/speed/flexibility/armament/shtf potential. So far we've come up with some pretty interesting ideas- maybe purchasing a smaller-end zeppelin with a scout plane and machinegun, maybe purchasing a seaplane tender, maybe going after a decommissioned U-Boat from the Great War, or even picking up a big flying boat, like an Aeromarine AMC.

Obviously they all have their strengths and weaknesses- we don't know if we're going to have to visit any landlocked cities, for example. So tell me; if you needed to carry around a bunch of men and guns to hunt cultists in the 20's (and need to possibly bomb/strafe/observe them from the afar) what do you think the best transport would be? Were there any other cutting-edge military gems we could seek to obtain that were around in 1925?
>>
>>28426021
Seaplane is best plane
>>
>>28426021
Also you should have people in the US government involved in the cult so then J Edgar realizes what he's up against and betrays his agents
>>
File: Fokker F7b-3M tekening.jpg (21KB, 882x318px) Image search: [Google]
Fokker F7b-3M tekening.jpg
21KB, 882x318px
>>28426021
A Fokker F. VIIb/3m would be a good all-around transport with the payload for extra gear/ordnance, especially if you modified it a bit.
>>
File: bergmann bayard m1910.jpg (126KB, 1024x698px) Image search: [Google]
bergmann bayard m1910.jpg
126KB, 1024x698px
>>28426021
seaplane for sure
also if no-one is concealed carrying picrelated, you failed already
>>
File: 1438218617611.jpg (393KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1438218617611.jpg
393KB, 1600x1200px
>>28426021
>Were there any other cutting-edge military gems we could seek to obtain that were around in 1925?

A Bergmann–Bayard in 9x23mm would be cool, even cooler if your character somehow gets his hands of a .45ACP variant produced for U.S. Army trials.
>>
File: Southampton.jpg (448KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Southampton.jpg
448KB, 1024x768px
>>28426021
>zeppelin
No. Nonononononononononono. No. Amphibious seaplane's probably your best bet. There's quite a bunch out there that could carry guns as heavy as a 37mm cannon.
>>
>>28426443
>>28426462
bayardmind holy shit
>>
File: Browning Mauser Luger.jpg (158KB, 850x433px) Image search: [Google]
Browning Mauser Luger.jpg
158KB, 850x433px
>>
It hasn't even been that long and this is all already some really good stuff! I'll be ducking back in to take notes when I can!

Another note- we've been informed that our government aid ends with the big check we've been cut. It was strongly stressed that if we crossed our own government's path and did illegal things, we would be treated as common criminals and hunted as such because no one but a few select people in the Bureau even know we exist- further, that if we were somehow caught and made to talk, we would not only be disavowed, but would likely die of mysterious circumstances in whatever holding cell we're in. So no raiding military bases for interbellum American tanks, unfortunately.

>>28426351
Nice! Does it have enough fuel to make oceanic journeys? Do you think it'd be difficult to get the Wiemar government to sell us one?

>>28426443
Concealed carry is definitely an issue, so this is for-sure going on the possibilities list. Thanks!

>>28426472
Interesting; why would a zeppelin be a poor choice? Also, could these land on sufficiently large enough rivers?
>>
>>28426021
>let's be secretive and stealthy
>let's use a Zepplin that literally everyone for dozens of miles around can see and know that we're in town

pick one
>>
torpedo boats and seaplane > zepplin
>>
File: Consolidated P2Y cutaway.jpg (73KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
Consolidated P2Y cutaway.jpg
73KB, 1000x620px
>>28426602
Zeppelins are absurdly susceptible to weather and too slow to outrun it. As for seaplanes, you can land them on pretty much any body of water that's calm enough. Really lakes and rivers would be the best (assuming they're large enough) because flying boats don't really handle rough seas all that well.
>>
>>28426443
>>28426462
I'm writing a short story a couple years ago about an American gunsmith (former US Army) living in Switzerland in the 1970's, catering to the wishes for custom fiearms by the bureaucrats of Europe. His personal sidearm was an integrally-suppressed, single-shot Bergmann-Bayard pistol in .45ACP.

Basically like the lovechild of a Welrod and Mauser C96. The idea of it felt pretty good. Any thoughts/tips?
>>
>>28426602
The Fokker definitely couldn't make a straight transatlantic flight, those didn't come around until the 30s, though it would be infinitely more useful than a seaplane for hopping around the 30% of earth that isn't covered in water. I imagine it wouldn't be incredibly hard to obtain, IIRC the guy who made the Ford Trimotor totally copied the design.
>>
>>28426021
>Hunting cults
Take a look at the tactics of serbian death squads, crusaders, or the SS.

Not even joking, what your advocating is basically religious.
>>
>>28426688
why single shot?
>>
>>28426698
Religious purging.
>>
>>28426733
IDK, I guess I just wanted something that functioned like a Welrod and didn't look like a pipe with a trigger, and also didn't need to be loaded every shot
>>
>>28426602
Revolvers, big caliber revolvers would be probably what's preferred than brand new fancy and untrustworthy automatic pistols and maybe things like Howdah pistols or revolvers in things like .38-40, .45 LC, .455 Eley, and so,e of the rounds necked down from popular lever action calibers. For rifles you should look at the early semi automatic sporting rifles that also saw service in the great war, like the Remington Model 8, and the various Winchester self loading rifles. For cars you should be looking at armoured cars based off cars of the period so as too look inconspicuous like the Rolls Royce Armoured Car.
>>
>>28426688
>single shot Bergmann Bayard in .45
That just screams all sorts of wrong, with that bolt slamming back. It's gonna have to be pretty thick and sturdy to work well.
>>
>>28426021

Wrote a story set back then, did a lot of research on period guns. I need to go to work now, but if the thread's still up tomorrow morning I'll inform you.

Any particular locations where your game is set?
>>
>>28426941
Well, the GM let a few -possible- locations slip over a few glasses of sherry a week ago. Japan, for one thing. London, for another- he hinted that we may be assigned an MI-6 agent, as a means to facilitate entry into Commonwealth countries. I'm fairly certain we're starting in New York. Other than that, the only information I've gotten location wise is that we may not have to visit many locations at all, depending on how much of a murderous extrajudicial death squad we're willing to be. (Considering that about half of our group tends to be very concerned about their consciences, we may be visiting a lot of places.)
>>
>>28426765
so you want your gunsmith guy to take one of the earliest automatic pistols and butcher it into a single shot piece of shit?
what kind of a gunsmith is this? some fat bubba?
why not modify it into something like the Stechkin APB or the Makarov PB?
why are you such a faggot?
>>
>>28426698
This.
If you've got time, that is.
>take a page from the crusaders
Separate them from their money and food supplies. They'll come to you or die trying.
If you're worried about cults, you're going to need a bi-plane with a floracide agent or some shit. Crop dust their shit, after some recon and whatnot. Take out their undoubtedly self sustaining agriculture.
That would be my roarin' 20s black budget start for cleaning up cults. Siege and attrition. Always works. Just gotta have time.
>>
File: shooting_to_live.png (60KB, 555x628px) Image search: [Google]
shooting_to_live.png
60KB, 555x628px
>>28426883
On this note, you might be interested in Fairbairn and Sykes' Shooting to Live--it's in the Mega Folder, and there's a cool diagram of a custom chopped revolver for concealed carry, pic related. Was the state of the art in handgun tactics in the 20s/30s.
>>
>>28427088
While "Shooting to Live" is pretty cool, that particular modification is pretty dumb. There's a reason they stopped chopping off trigger guards again.
>>
>>28427149
let me guess... it's the same reason for which trigger guards exist in the first place
but you're not thinking right. this could be useful to the DM... accidents and incidents
>>
>>28427149
I don't really know enough about combat shooting to have an opinion, but yeah, that combined with their opposition to safeties seemed a little reckless.

>>28427218
There are also some interesting anecdotes about missing at close range and muh stoppan powah and things like that which might provide good background for game mechanics.
>>
File: ford trimotor.jpg (33KB, 640x363px) Image search: [Google]
ford trimotor.jpg
33KB, 640x363px
A Zepplin is too flashy, try a tramp steamer instead.

You could hold a disassembled state-of-the-art Ford Trimotor (first flight 1925) in one of the cargo bays.

Also, please do your GM a favor and use a "Maxim Silencer" (patented 1909) in dense urban areas. If the players blow their covers by getting the cops involved, it can wreck the scenario (pet peeve).
>>
>>28426021
As far as availability goes, the Aeromarine AMC would not be a viable solution, as only one was built. I would recommend buying a bunch of Dornier Do J Wals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_J) and a few FBA Type Hs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBA_Type_H) aalong with a merchant ship or two to convert similarly to the SS Westfalen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Westfalen_(1905)). The Type H had a nose turret with a machine gun and one in particular was equipped with a 37mm cannon for testing; both of these could be useful to the story. An interesting modification would be outfitting the aircraft with sails similar to the Rohrback Ro II (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohrbach_Ro_II) (pic related), which seems to fit your story.
>>28427058 has the right idea about tactics to flush them out.
>>
>>28427303
The Trimotors first flight was 1926, m8
>>
>>28427382
It's close enough for the GM to hand-wave it.
>>
File: Büssing_A5p.jpg (19KB, 600x362px) Image search: [Google]
Büssing_A5p.jpg
19KB, 600x362px
>>28426021
For armament you could get Mosina Nagants or G98 or Lee Enfields, and for close combat just use the MP18 Grabenfeger.

For plane, as most already told, a seaplane.

As landvehicle a Bussing A5P, which was years ahead of its time, but sadly not so good for trench warfare.
>>
>>28427468
My autism is telling OP to include at least one Fodorov Avtomat.

Oh, and a large amount of BARs and Tommy Guns, because that's what actually 1920s G-men carried.
>>
>>28427480
Of course, BARs are probably the best MGs of the time (ok i know they are called assault rifle, but arent they mostly intended to use as a support weapon?)

Also shouldnt it be cheap?
>>
>>28427506
Well, in the 1920s, both the police and Bonnie and Clyde/Machine Gun Kelly/Al Capone were using the weapons that the US had built for the first world war.

BARs and Thompson guns were well liked for being man portable and fully automatic, the FBI of that time period ran on that shit.

Pretty much any arsenal of that era would have some around. The Dillenger gang used to get them by robbing police stations at gunpoint.

As for the Fodorov Avtomat, I just want that as like a legendary weapon because it's a select fire rifle in an intermediate cartridge, and therefor very good.
>>
>>28427506
The BAR is actually a light machine gun or automatic rifle, not an assault rifle.

To qualify as an assault rifle, it would need to be chambered in an intermediate cartridge, not a full-size one.

But yes, they were absolutely intended for use as a squad-level support weapon.

As for the budget: If you can afford your own seaplane, you can afford a bunch of BARs and Thompsons. At the time they even were cheaper than some of the snowflake pistols that have been thrown around in this thread.
>>
>>28426602
/k/ and /tg/ are bros
>>
File: space-luger1.png (1MB, 2000x1249px) Image search: [Google]
space-luger1.png
1MB, 2000x1249px
Thompsons, BARs and Browning 1919s for cultists. If you're funded by the FBI, they've probably got that shit just laying around.

Ancient tomes with long names for whatever scurry stuff they summon up. Also, artillery.

U-Boats would require a trained crew to operate, so that's gonna be more difficult.

Steamships, seaplanes, and all the other suggestions here are probably good ideas.

A decent sized boat, perhaps disguised as/doing double-duty as a merchant vessel would be good cover at any port, and would be an excellent mobile operating base.
>>
>>28427879
Indeed. Ever since discovering 4chan I've basically been a dual citizen of /k/ and /tg/, both are legitimately good boards. They go very well together, too.
>>
File: 1344532995084.jpg (9KB, 188x239px) Image search: [Google]
1344532995084.jpg
9KB, 188x239px
>>28426681
Ah, I see. Now I feel a bit foolish to have suggested zeppelins. I'll knock them far down the list of ideas.

>>28426698
>>28427058
>>28427088
These are avenues in literature I hadn't even considered; gonna have to skip down to the local library or maybe see if I still have access to my university account, thanks! Where is this megafolder, by the by?

>>28427303
Didn't even realize silencers were a thing yet; good to know we won't have to get by on potatoes

>>28427334
>>28427468
The amount of cool German stuff you guys are introducing me to makes me think I should roll up a character who works for the Abwehr, though I imagine my acting for a German accent might be atrocious

This thread has been so sweet so far I think I'm going to grab a full screenshot of it if I can once it goes to archive! There's another guy among the players who digs the planning phase more than the kick-down-the-door-and-shoot-shoggoths phase- I'm definitely gonna show this all to him when we next meet up!
>>
>>28428492
>Where is this megafolder, by the by?
murdercube.com
>>
>>28428671
Thanks!
>>
>>28428159
Are you me? What's your favorite color, and size of your dick, first pistol?
>>
>>28428492

Anon: for inspiration for early holster/concealment/leather gear look up Chick Gaylord. Basically all modern holster technology is derived from stuff he made.
>>
File: 1451529944831.jpg (49KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
1451529944831.jpg
49KB, 400x565px
Don't forget the Ithaca Auto and Burglar if you want a cool sidearm.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.