[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slings would be very useful today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: RomanSling.jpg (70KB, 471x696px) Image search: [Google]
RomanSling.jpg
70KB, 471x696px
It consists of a cord of rope, you can carry it in a bag or a pocket or anywhere on you and nobody would guess its a weapon. and it weighs practically nothing.. And I don't think there are any laws against slings either

If you run out of bullets for your gun, you can use rocks off the ground in your sling, or any lead sling shot you may have. And its cheep, one of the cheapest weapons you can buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covH4voKukw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU87f5o8vMg

With a little practice, a sling can very well compliment you other weapons in a SHTF scenario.
>>
>>28415731
Or, just hear me out, I can just shoot the dumbass trying to sling a rock at me.
>>
>>28415764
So you would rather have no chance at defeating an attacker than a small chance?
>>
>>28415731
>2045
>California bans assault slings
>>
>>28415782
Why do I need a sling when I have a CCW on me at all times?
>>
File: imblign.gif (3MB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
imblign.gif
3MB, 300x167px
>If you run out of bullets
>>
>>28415814
This is if you run out of gun bullets, anon.
>>
>>28415825
Come back when you graduate high school.
>>
>>28415825
Reading this would probably help you understand. Even with basic tools a little bit of knowledge goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/Foxfire-Ironmaking-Blacksmithing-Flintlock-Hunting/dp/0385143087
>>
OP's picture is one tough jew

id definitely want to wrestle with that semite
>>
>>28415731
>lindy "sling and bling" beige
>>
>>28415814
Because he can chuck grenades with the sling if he's really good, ww1 style.

Get wrecked Goliath fucking shits.
>>
>>28415949
>tannerite projectiles
>>
I don't see why slings shouldn't be issued to every grunt in the US Army. It'll add minimal weight and bring massive utility.
>stealth kills
>back up in case ammo run out
>grenade battery
Just some uses I can think of off the top of my head. Seriously, is America so cheap they can't issue $5 slings to save lives?
>>
>>28415731
Who is going to put out a rifle sling sling? Turning it into a bronze age grenade launching staff sling. Seems like a great nugget mod.
>>
Maybe I'm being silly but I never understood why grenade slings aren't a thing. Or just a piece of rope on a grenade, tension would make it work like a stick grenade but without any significant extra mass or bulk.
>>
>>28416168
Now you're thinking.
>>
>>28416449
Grenade launchers do the job better.

You "misfire" your sling grenade and you blow yourself up.
>>
>>28416449
Goat herders in the middle east figured out they could make molotovs go further by slinging them way back in nineties
>>
>>28415731

I'm exArmy and have had this idea of sling-ing nades. Requires two wires for each, metal due to weight and one time use. One attached to actual device and second on pin, just need a little winch/corner to redirect force 90*. I could just fiddle with them in the Army but handled them enough to see a way.

Fuck yeah....sub mortar lobbing of munitions. I'm going to have fun being an irregular.

> T-1.5y
>>
>>28415731
Holy shit Ive been carrying one on me for the past couple of days, pretty fun If you're bored and its also amazing for snowball fights
>>
>>28416214
>stealth kills

cawadooty pls go
>>
>>28415782
>implying my hands aren't registered weapons
>>
>>28416214
>stealth kills
lol I wont even humor this one
>back up in case ammo run out
if the troops are out of ammo something is seriously wrong. They should probably focus on fleeing or getting supplied instead of hanging around to get mowed down while they throw pebles at hajji
>grenade battery
Seems like a good idea. Grenade launchers are a thing though, and they toss explosives a hell of a lot farther than a sling can. In fact, singling a grenade seems like a terrible idea. Using grenades is hazardous enough already, having to load it into a pouch and swing it around for a few seconds after pulling the pin seems like a lot of risk for being able to toss the grenade a few feet father with worse accuracy.
>>
Slings take a lot of time to become proficient in the use of one.
>>
>>28416214
>stealth kills
You never used a sling, don't ya?
>>
>>28416718
If your swinging a sling around your doing it wrong.
One wrap and launch.
(Unless your jewish sheep wizard king level and can swing it loaded at a full run)

<rant>
Just like if you are pulling a slingshot back with your pouch holding hand and aiming like a rifle.

Keep pouch in the center of your chest and punch the slingshot at target and release. Snap shot without loosing stretch by holding/cooling the rubber.

Or if your doing butterflies and hand transfers with nunchucks. Save that for the stage its a hinged flail!
</rant>
>>
>>28415731
In addition to all the other flaws pointed out I would imagine it's hard to fire a sling laying or crouching down or around corners
>>
File: 1451493771487.jpg (109KB, 1300x892px) Image search: [Google]
1451493771487.jpg
109KB, 1300x892px
>>28415731
Posting in le ebin bait thread. With the advent if guns/ cannons, slings were delegated to a children's toy.
>>
>>28417199
I'm pretty sure with the advent of archery they were obsolete.
>>
>>28417499
For like a thousand years after the invention of the bow, slings still fired heavier missiles farther than bows. Only reason slings weren't fielded more was because they were only available in small numbers as expensive mercs.
>>
>>28417499
Nope, slingers and archers both have pros and cons and they both co-existed for a while, until the medieval ages at least.

Many peoples in the classical age greatly preferred the sling over the bow.
>>
>>28417499
>I'm pretty sure with the advent of archery they were obsolete.
Good bows are not easy to make.
>>
>>28417523
Not really, in that ancient and classical armies often had a lot of slingers, not just a few expensive mercs.

There were sling masters, true. But also thousands of amateurs.
>>
>>28417523
>in small numbers as expensive mercs
>slingers
lel no, slinging was something any farm boy could do, with a materials cost of only string and lead. And bullets took a matter of seconds of simple labor + a cooling period to make, vs arrows which are relatively fiddly and intensive if you want something useful for war.
>>
>>28415949
>>28416214
>>28416449
>>28416593
>>28416636
>>28416689
Using a sling for grenades would be risky as fuck, but just a single cord connected to the grenade combined with a long fuse might be viable. Less of a sling, more of a hammer throw.
>>
>>28417719
There were well known slingers who hired themselves out as mercs, though.

Sure, you could be good enough at slinging to be in an army with the other farm-hands, or you can be an expert shot who everyone wants in their armies. The difference is training and upbringing.
>>
>>28417760
I doubt even the most expensive slingers rated higher than a bowman, you can be the best slinger around and a bow will still be ten times more accurate.
>>
>>28417802
You only think this because you don't understand how archers were used. In fact, you don't appear to know the first thing about pre-gunpowder warfare.
>>
>>28417816
Do you have anything to say beyond "u dont no lol" you pretentious faggot? Kill yourself.
>>
File: 2756631_orig.jpg (147KB, 632x800px) Image search: [Google]
2756631_orig.jpg
147KB, 632x800px
>>28417752
What about bangstick lawndarts?
>>
>>28417802
Maybe not 10 times more accurate. But slings are more anti-armor. They dent armor and break bones.
>>
Also, slings out-ranged contemporary bows.
>>
>>28417982
I am going to need an explanation of how that thing works. I have never seen a sling for arrow-like-things before...
>>
>>28417827
probably anon meant that archers were used strictly in the back lines because they would get clumsy with bows carrying around. While slingers were more mobile and could move freely between lines with their handy slings.
>>
>>28418546
We don't really know. Unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kestros
>>
File: 1447116863105.gif (763KB, 450x255px) Image search: [Google]
1447116863105.gif
763KB, 450x255px
>>28417752
a grenade with a length of cord to throw it like a sling for greater range, cord raps around grenade when in pouch to save bulk. i think your a fucking genius.
>>
File: whipbow.jpg (15KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
whipbow.jpg
15KB, 195x259px
>>28418546
Straight From the American Boys Handy Book
>>
File: 1445042441206.jpg (125KB, 800x502px) Image search: [Google]
1445042441206.jpg
125KB, 800x502px
>>28415731
britgong version of the road with slings might be pretty cool
>>
>>28418685
That really is a good idea.

Its basically a sling that attached to the projectile, so when you toss the grenade you also toss the sling.
>>
The lethality of slings is highly over-rated. Yes you can throw a rock 2-3x further than just throwing it with your hands. However, the accuracy will never be good enough to really be used as a proper hunting or war weapon.

>using slings as a grenade launcher

It's very easy to fuck up a sling throw.
>>
File: ball-thrower-for-dogs.jpg (6KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
ball-thrower-for-dogs.jpg
6KB, 298x298px
>>28416689
Just use this.
>>
>>28419817
I think a sling can throw a ball further. A sling is also more compact.
>>
>>28415731
Shit's innacurate as fuck and has an effective range of right the fuck in front of you

You're better off just finding bricks or some other heavy shit to throw
>>
doesn't it take a shit ton of practice to use a sling effectively? also you have to be standing and in an open space to use it
you could clear rooms with a crossbow, not so much with a sling
>>
>>28419673
>However, the accuracy will never be good enough to really be used as a proper hunting or war weapon.

when you actually train and use a sling it is a fine hunting and combat weapon. It's not like a gun were you can become quite good in a single session, takes dedication and practice and not a fleeting interest.
>>
>>28415731

Are you from that one island where everybody knows how to sling?
>>
>>28415731
I thought the same thing once. I spent over a year practicing. It was rare I could hit my target.
Ancient slingers trained from childhood, and would do so constantly. Slinging is fucking hard, and take a long time to get half way decent at.
>>
Ban small trees now--they can be made into deadly weapons at any time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE
>>
>>28420747

No

Anyways, that's the Balearic islands (Spain). Slinging is like their sport, They were renown as slingers back in the classical days.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.