[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife blade types

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: KA-BAR-Knife-4.jpg (424KB, 1037x691px) Image search: [Google]
KA-BAR-Knife-4.jpg
424KB, 1037x691px
I was wondering what would be the best type of blade for a knife that would be used for survival/hunting
>>
>>24270414
I'm currently working on a knife design I want to make. Lurking.

Though, from what I've observed, you want something curved, and kinda broad. Something that helps with skinning.
>>
>>24270432
Sounds intresting any pictures of your design yet?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/virtuovice/videos?sort=dd&flow=grid&view=0&page=2
This guy skins lot. Goes through hundreds of dollars in knives in actual forestry/hunting-skinning/grip angle and various tasks with each knife.

Think of him as an asian wise man, helps get through the videos. He'll tell you whats important of each one with no shilling involved.
>>
>>24270414

imo something drop point with a full flat grind and fairly thick, so it can do some chopping if needed but is also easy to get sharp, and combine that with something small and thin like a mora for your smaller tasks and youve got a winning combination.

anyway by the looks of things you like kabar, look at their becker line of knives, they are much better than their usmc fighting knife
>>
>>24270462
oh yeah, the picture was just an example but i will check it out
>>
>>24270414
I like the becker line, its one of those knives that are not that spectacular unless you are willing to work on it and do your own modifications with it, but once you get that done its a really good all purpose brand
Ka-bars are nice, but there is so much more out there now with better builds, i would use it as a secondary back up knife
>>24270432
what this anon said >>24270443
>>
File: BK2Detail_1.png (79KB, 621x189px) Image search: [Google]
BK2Detail_1.png
79KB, 621x189px
not completely sure i like the grip on the becker knife from the pictures it looks smooth
>>
File: Shit attempt 1.jpg (496KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Shit attempt 1.jpg
496KB, 1632x1224px
>>24270488
>>24270443
Here's the original design, after various trials with cardboard to see if the ergonomics were nice. But I ended up scrapping it, because I wasn't satisfied with the blade geometry and thickness towards the base after I got a wooden template down.
>>
>>24270542
whoa, looks mad nice.
>>
>>24270510
>becker shill here
They are very smooth, get some of the wrap you use on tennis rackets i think its a few bucks at walmart, get the name brand its actually pretty nice and works well, personally i think the BK2 looks out of proportion and it bothers me
>>
File: 1235_h_lg.png (82KB, 621x189px) Image search: [Google]
1235_h_lg.png
82KB, 621x189px
Anyone have any experence wihe the marine hunter ka bar knife
>>
>>24270542
Knife looks nice man hopefully you get it to a point your satifyed with
>>
File: Shit attempt 2.jpg (460KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Shit attempt 2.jpg
460KB, 1632x1224px
>>24270542
I really wanted that dumb curve on the spine, since my current EDC knife has something more downplayed, and I like resting my thumb against it when cutting boxes. But, I ended up not liking it, and thinking it's too gimmicky, and complicated. So here's something I whipped up today. I plan on just using this as a camping knife, but I wanted to make one for a couple of friends who actually hunt, and thus, have gone back to the drawing board.
>>
>>24270558
>op fag
that is a good idea i will have it in my top considerations
>>
>>24270510
ive never handled a becker myself but they are the one brand of knife which i constantly hear how comfy their handles are.

also you can unscrew the handles easily enough and get aftermarket micarta ones or wooden ones etc
>>
>>24270551
>>24270568

Thanks, think so? I'm doing all the stock cutting by hand, so it's proven to be a bitch to saw out. And I still gotta figure out what I want as far as the grips go, and how they'll be held.
>>
>>24270610
>op
do you have a bandsaw?
>>
>>24270622
Nope. I'll be hitting yard sales tomorrow and look around for cheap tools I can use, since I'm a poorfag college student at the moment. I've seen people take circular saws to the stock, but it just leaves a jaggy, shitty edge all over, and probably ruins the temper of the steel too much, so I was confident in doing it by hand . . . at first.
>>
>>24270649
Wait what? how are you planning on doing this? you wont be able to shape the blade at all unless you soften the steel
>>
>>24270722
Well, yea. I'll be taking some O1 steel stock, cutting it down into basic shape by hand, filing it down and refining the shape prior to heat treatment, then just heat treat it, polish it back, and then I'm not sure if I want to acid etch the whole blade, or just file it down to satin finish

Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>24270806
Its just that you said youve seen people take circular saws (i assume you meant cutting wheel on grinder) to the stock and were worried it would ruin the temper of the steel, so i thought you were planning on getting some already hardened steel then just trying to straight up make a knife from that without softening it first to shape it.

if youre just using flat bar stock then youre all good though because its already soft

i made a secessfull knife following these two videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxRqn-NAl8
for a general idea on what to do

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ
for filing a nice even bevel
>>
>>24270806
>op
i cant remember if you said, but what will the handle be made of
>>
>>24270895
>i assume you meant cutting wheel on grinder
You know, that's exactly what I meant. Still, it seems rather sloppy, so I'll be doing the whole thing by hand with a hacksaw. And, Gough's videos have been really helpful. In fact, it's the only reason I even wanted to try and make something myself.

>>24271028
Micarta. I'm considering just going ahead and making some myself, since it's not too tricky. I'd just need a better respirator than the one I'll be using. Though I may just get lazy and buy some.
>>
>>24270602

Very comfy, but as another said, rather slippery. Some hockey tape will take care of that.

OP, look into the BK16. The BK2 is way too thick, it's usable and it's fun but at the end of the day it's kinda a gimmick. The BK16 will prove much more useful IRL.
>>
Fällkniven S1 has gotten me through everything so far.
>>
>>24270414

I really dig the whole design of the ka-bar with two exceptions:

1.) rat-tail tang. noty
2.) no landyard hoop (minor but still I like them.)

Other then that, the original w/ kraton grip and no serrations would be GOAT.
>>
>>24270414
Something sharp and pointy would be good
>>
>>24270458

> speaks japanese

wtf man
>>
File: Becker combo.jpg (112KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Becker combo.jpg
112KB, 1024x512px
>>24270414
There is none, the answer depends entirely on where you are.

However, large straight blades with some belly are generally a safe bet for a tool that can do everything decently.
>>
File: 22697919-image.jpg (75KB, 585x400px) Image search: [Google]
22697919-image.jpg
75KB, 585x400px
>>24270414
GENERALLY A knife isn't a multiple role instrument.
It will do one thing well, or multiple thing decently.

The purpose of a survival knife is to fill multiple rolls that other wise would take multiple instrument.

Look up the Silent Hero by Tops knives, if you feel like dropping 300$ on a fucking piece of steel, it's the best you can buy.

>Pic not related
>>
>>24274726
Kabar knives like the one in OP's pic aren't suitable for anything other than they were designed for.

They were designed for "fighting", and bit for survival.
However ka-bar does make survival knives, I haven't read the whole thread but I saw a Becker knife.

Basically you just want a knife with a full tang
>>
>>24270510
There's definitely something wrong feeling about my BK9 handle and it's not a flaw or anything, its just too smooth and too big (preteen girl hands master race reporting in).
>>
>>24276078
>and bit for survival.
What couldn't one like in OP's pic handle as far as survival needs? I'm thinking batoning but can't think of another example.
>>
>>24276140
I think he means it was designed for a bit of both, all around. It's a great knife for general tasks, but probably has its shortcomings in specialized shit like hunting and so on
>>
generally, you want a full tang, drop point blade - that's the most universal design.

I use a TBT, but that's a very unorthodox knife, and takes a bit of getting used to (plus, it's 28 ounces of steel, so it's heavier than an elephant and a half in knife terms).

A clip point is also good - the becker BK7 and BK9 have excellent opinion as survival knives, and TOPS makes some great ones too (like the BOB and Tex Creek).

If you do get a heavy knife though, you might want to get a smaller one to piggyback.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.