[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since some people on /k/ are Halo fans, I thought i'd ask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

File: ODST.jpg (109KB, 925x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ODST.jpg
109KB, 925x1200px
Since some people on /k/ are Halo fans, I thought i'd ask this.

Realistically, do you think ODST's are feasible in a future military?

Obviously not right now, but at some point in the future.

>you will never drop with your bros with Ride of the Valkyries playing through your pods speakers
>You will never be an ODST
Feels bad man.
>>
>>23091151
I'd totally sign up for ODST if it were a thing.
>>
At "some point"in the future, the lazy Eloi will be living above ground. But underground, there will be cave monsters that use the above ground people for food
>>
>>23091151
technically feasible yes.

practically usable, no. Drop pods are easy to shoot down, hard to maneuver, and blindingly obvious on radar.
>>
I don't see why not. The technology doesn't seem that advanced.

I doubt any of us will live to see it, but I fucking hope it gets done at some point, it'd be cool as fuck.
>>
>>23091178
Make it peel like an onion like in Starship Troopers.
>>
>>23091151
Man if I was rich i'd so buy a set of that armour.

Like I would commission some defense company to build me a working replica of that but without anything that might be considered illegal.
>>
>>23091183
Nice idea but chaff started bordering on obsolete back in the 00s.
>>
>>23091190
>owning a working set of ODST Armour
that makes me fucking moist
>>
>>23091178
first you bomb the shit out of orbit from any installation like aa batteries and stuff, then you drop pods into that mess, right after you filled the atmosphere with decoys and chaff...

it's not brain surgery to figure out how it would work.
>>
>>23091183
Not a great example, because the Starship Troopers (at least book wise) were nothing less than walking, super-maneuverable tanks of destruction. ODSTs are an order of magnitude more easy to kill and vulnerable then your trooper.
>>
>>23091151
Halo is a real cool guy. He fights aliums and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>23091194
Why? What counters little bits of metal? Different radar frequencies (not an EE here)?
>>
>>23091151

No because the entire premise behind them is a Giant waste of resources on suicide troops.

>So much time and money spent on training them to be the Best of the Best (Non-spartan human standards)
>Given the best gear available to a human
>Put into a drop pod the size of an SUV (its a one fucking one-use vehicle so the ship their stationed on will need to have a lot of extras)
>You either Die in the drop (because your pod malfunctioned)
>Or die in the landing zone because the UNSC doesn't use Air support for them.
>>
It'd work.

However, any modern AA would tear most of the dropped pods to bits before they reached the ground.
>>
>>23091151
by that point in time we'll have entirely/mostly robotic armies.

>halo universe can make ai but not give them bodies
>>
>>23091256
>Most
What kind of shithole country do you live in?

Nigger if they dropped 100 Pods modern AA would wreck every last one of them.
>>
>>23091319
The face of autisem also i doubt any aa system could get a 100/100 ratio
>>
>>23091343
At least I can spell autism, you idiot.
>>
>>23091151
It'll be technologically feasible, but not militarily feasible. If you're in a position of high orbit, why would you bother with dropping soldiers of all things? It's a solution looking for an incredible niche problem.
>>
>>23091319
>>23091256

What are pre assault fires?

This nigga gets it >>23091198

>yfw ODSTs are just futuristic vidya paratroopers
>yfw the employment of modern airborne forces includes bombing the shit out of the area and taking out threats to the aircraft for up to an hour before the drop.
>>
File: goodjob.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
goodjob.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
>>23091391
>>
>>23091443
This. They even explain it in Forward Unto Dawn. They're just air cavalry.
>>
>>23091277
If I remember, their AI's were not real AI's but like digitized versions of people's minds or something. And they were prone to degredation and going bat shit sometimes. Not sure I'd want to put them in charge of the killdozers.
>>
>>23091151

Modified drop pods that come out of slip-space would be a useful thing.

Dropping straight from a ship in orbit sounds like too much of a risk though.
>>
>>23091545
Cortana is a clone of Doctor Halsey. Same voice, same appearance. I'm not sure if that's true but that's my headcannon.
>>
>>23091686

It is.

Halsey had her brain cloned for Cortana.
>>
>>23091755
Neat.
>>
>>23091197
I think that's one of the probs made for the Halo ODST video game comercial which shows a young man volunteering for the military after the death of his father and ending up becomming a veteran.
>>
How about just more Extreme halo jumpers? Like that redbull guy? No pods, just dudes jumping out of space ships.
>>
>>23091545
Bungie AI canon has smart ai's often going rampant as they Call it. They don't necessarily go rogue, but they develop self awareness and feelings, basically becoming a Real person. Because it happens so fast they often become frustrated or angry and can do stupid and irrational things. Imagine the ship ai on your massive space cruiser suddenly hitting puberty. Another thing is also the smart ai's ability to learn that means they eventually die because they run out of storage space from all the things they learn and experience, an the new stuff starts over writing what's already there. That's why they do insane before they die.
>>
>>23091241
The Pelican pretty much makes the drop pods pointless.

First of all, it can fly between space and atmospheres with no problem. This means it can directly bring troops from orbit on the surface and vis vera.
Being a futuristic VTOL it also does not require a runaway for start and landings, but can deploy troops easily in one spot.
Next to it's troopers it can also carry vehicles with it, up to light tanks. All that while being both quick and agile, well armored and reliable.

I think ODST would make more sense if they are doing halo (no pun meant) jumps from the upper atmosphere out of Pelicans, in order to clear landing zones for direct deployments.

In the end, the whole orbital jump thing is just to make them look more important, while also trying to explain why the Spartans are so fond of jumping from orbit on planets with nothing but a heat shield in front of them.
>>
>>23091443
>>23091528

if they're gonna spend all that resources to make the drops safe, why not just use drop ships? they're reusable, are maneuverable, and troops retain unit cohesion
>>
>>23091979
The drop pods were created so that when deploying and AA is encountered you only lose one man instead of two pilots, a dozen commandos, and a crew chief
>>
>>23091981
>QRF
>Force concentration
>Light infantry
>Taking down a dropship means 20+ casualties against 1 drop.pod.
>Securing landing zones
>D-Day from space

Does /k/ even study military strategy?
>>
>>23091981
See>>23092244
>>
>>23092244
Why wouldn't they take out the AA first before they land with cruise missiles or standoff missiles?
>>
>>23092244
Ideally, drop pods would also have decoys to confuse targeting radars like MIRVs, which should also increase their chances of survival.
>>
>>23092263

/k/ studies nothing. That's why most here are 20 something stay at homes.
>>
>>23091190
I'd like that rifle just as much
>carry handle master race with space optics
>>
>>23092263
>>23092244

but wouldn't doing >>23091198 take care of AA anyway?
>>
>>23092428

There's always the inherent chance of AA even with pre assault fires. You can't completely avoid risk, the only way to do that is not not jump at all. It's about managing risk using the tools available while still being able to mass your forces and effectively neutralize the enemy. The way they do this with airborne assaults is with low drop altitudes and pre assault fires.
>>
>>23091151
>Ride of the Valkyries
>not klendathu drop
you're a special kind of gay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7JGlRhMq8
>>
>>23091151

The closest I can think of to ODST's in today's military environment was some mention of a US Space Marine LEO Brigade or some shit they wanted to start up.

Where multiple cargo vessels would be launched into orbit, then use solid fuel boosters to orient, and transit, and finally they would either glide into a controlled belly landing, disgorging anything from infantry elements to Mechanized infantry, and or infantry elements with "light" armor support. I.E Antipersonell Humvees & an Abrams or two.

Or 2-3 Strykers.

It was some weird shit.
>>
File: 1384446526231.gif (2MB, 348x323px) Image search: [Google]
1384446526231.gif
2MB, 348x323px
>>23091443
>yfw ODSTs are just futuristic vidya paratroopers
>mfw paratroopers haven't been used in the way you're referring to since ww2 and it was a gigantic clusterfuck that resulted in us never doing it again
>>
>>23091937

I think Cortana's was an existential crisis, and also not being able to physically interact with John supposedly.
>>
File: 719EGyVzCPL._SL1500_.jpg (144KB, 1429x1168px) Image search: [Google]
719EGyVzCPL._SL1500_.jpg
144KB, 1429x1168px
>>23091151
feasible but ineffective

at the technology level you would need to reach to safely and swiftly relocate your operator to the planet's surface; there are significantly more effective, efficient, and destructive alternatives available for any applicable context

in short: no
it long: it could be done, but it isn't worth it
>>
>>23092531
>paratroopers haven't been used in the way you're referring to since ww2

They were used in Vietnam. For example, the high-altitude, low-opening drop was designed to insert operators into places at night, instead of attracting a lot of attention with a helicopter insertion during the day.
>>
>>23091937
That's not how rampancy works
>>
File: 1390958266410.png (365KB, 774x556px) Image search: [Google]
1390958266410.png
365KB, 774x556px
>>23092571
What the green berets did in Vietnam is not like what you were describing earlier.

low key HALO jumps are not comparable to
>first you bomb the shit out of orbit from any installation like aa batteries and stuff, then you drop pods into that mess, right after you filled the atmosphere with decoys and chaff...
>>
ODST are like modern day SOF. You don't throw SF or SEALs on a C-130 at a direct action target where there'd be AA and heavy defenses, that's retarded. Same For ODST s. They'd be used for raids, assassinations, or LRRPs and the like.
>>
>>23091205
Yesh, Mobile Infantry are a whole other ballgame. Scythe through bugs on landing, then jump kilometers at a time, handing out nukes to hives like candy to children.

ODST themselves, as a concept, not too hard to envision. But the drop pods themselves are pure science fiction, no way that'd ever be efficient or logical.
>>
> ODST: Feet first, into Hell
The most fucking /k/ motto of any unit fictional or non.
>>
>>23092669

The most cringe worthy. Stop being fat.
>>
>>23092606
>green berets
>doing navy seal type shit
>>
>>23092688
there's nothing cringe worthy about it

feet first into hell makes perfect sense given the context of the unit
>>
>>23092606
I'm not talking about Green Berets.

I'm talking about studiers and observers.
>>
In the future. Earth Federation is Now Starship trooper tier efficient and just.

Neckbeards like you and I are dragged off to training centres where

>Needles of micro machines are injected into our bodies transforming us into instant super soldiers by expelling all fat and growing muscle fibers to the bodies' max potential
>Flash training to make us Master Chief level of soldiers.
>Proceed to put us in power armour
>Get into droppod
>Land onto enemy territory
>Bugs got me.

Would you like to know more?
>>
>>23091937
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Rampancy
>>
File: 1396212188973.jpg (137KB, 334x339px) Image search: [Google]
1396212188973.jpg
137KB, 334x339px
>>23092698
>navy seal type shit
bruh the frogmen weren't doing things like inserting into laos or cambodia to stir up some shit with the NVA

>>23092710
SOG recon teams were green berets and montagnards
>>
>>23091178
>drop pods are easy to shoot down.
>drop.

thank you anon, for proving to us that you are intelligent enough to shoot down an object that's already meant to fall to the earth like a rock.

with that stated, and in case nobody has pointed this out yet, the ODST being discussed stands for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. this science fiction concept is quite literally a standard human soldier placed into a pod (possibly single or as a group) and dropped from space onto a potentially unsuspecting or pre-softened target. the descent is not meant to be slow by any means, rather it is generally assumed to be near terminal velocity due to a lack of engines pushing it forward. the presence of landing apparatus is decidedly left optional depending upon the setting and thoughtfulness of the writer.

it is for all effective purposes, a man-made meteorite with some extremely well trained soldiers strapped inside prepared to open a major can of whoop-ass upon whatever poor unprepared Xeno-forms happen to be waiting below.

the approach may eventually be considered practical when we are traveling to and conquering various planets and no longer really care about our soldiers surviving.
>>
>>23092734
yes they were
>>
>>23092701

Its ace combat tier cringe worthy. The whole dancing with angels bullshit. Mottos should be in latin besides, removes the cringe worthy ness.
>>
>>23092710
>'observers'
>not green berets
>>
>>23092358
>Ideally, drop pods would also have decoys to confuse targeting radars like MIRVs
Agree; the ODST drop in "The Babysitter" short from Halo: Legends did this in a similar manner but instead of having decoys they did it in the middle of a meteor shower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPvBqSlIEc
>>
File: 1331597238003.jpg (13KB, 175x230px) Image search: [Google]
1331597238003.jpg
13KB, 175x230px
>>23092759
dude the military is already cringe worthy
>>
>>23092755
I'll give you that UDTs were in laos

but they still weren't as cool as the green berets
>>
>>23092785
>The Central Intelligence Agency began using SEALs in covert operations in early 1963. The SEALs were involved in the CIA sponsored Phoenix Program where it targeted key North Vietnamese Army personnel and Vietcong sympathizers for capture and assassination.

>but they still weren't as cool as the green berets
correct
>>
File: pimpin.png (82KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
pimpin.png
82KB, 245x190px
>>23092809
but

did UDTs get every available air asset in country when they called for it?
>>
>>23092888
also, for those that haven't heard it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vsU8_bZn8

plastic man is present
>>
>>23091319

I kinda doubt that. Most missile based AA systems have... what, four to eight missiles? Even if you have a cluster of those launchers all together, you just don't have the capacity to shoot down more than 20 or 30 things at a time. Modern AA is designed to destroy dozens of aircraft, not hundreds.

Also, intercepting a drop pod is probably a lot more difficult than an aircraft. The challenge is going to be a lot closer to intercepting a ballistic missile. The standard doctrine for the Patriot Missile system is to fire four patriots at each ballistic missile, which usually results in a kill. That means that the military expects the kill probability to be something like 25%, or maybe like 33% but they fire an extra missile just to be sure. That means that in the drop pod scenario, where you have many more pods than missiles, you can expect your missiles to work about 33% of the time with current technology. If you had 100 incoming threats, you'd need 300 missiles (or 75 launchers) to deal with them all.

That seems a little unrealistic, plus you have to consider that three to four missiles is an extremely expensive way to kill a few guys in a pod.
>>
>>23092516

I always hate scenes in movies and videogames that show people running through a hail of fire from all sides. If you've been put in the position of running through machine gun fire from three or more directions, you're already fucked beyond saving.

I guess the Covenant must have Stormtrooper-tier aim.
>>
>>23092571

Paratroopers weren't used as a main assault force during Vietnam, or even an auxiliary force like they were used on D-Day.

We don't even do air-cavalry anymore. At some point people decided that it just doesn't make sense to attack from the air.
>>
>>23093074
balls of molten plasma are pretty slow

halo wise.
>>
>>23092335
>>23092428
MAN PADS are still a thing in the halo universe
>>
>>23093074

Jackal/Kig-Yar tend to have good aim. One of them BTFO of a Spartan III in Reach.
>>
>>23093007
That's true for a modern AA system, but where drop pods would exist in any future scenario, such AA systems would also mature and be more accurate so there wouldn't be the same diminishing returns as we see today.
>>
>>23093130

>mfw they are only slow because the space kebabs thought upgrading the magnetic field guided plasma stuff is an offense to the gods
>All their weapons are fully capable of going laser type like the forerunner weapons
>>
>>23092719
>Desire to know more recedes
>>
>>23093161

I kinda doubt that. Missle tech is nearly 80 years old at this point.

The problem is that making one really fast projectile hit another really fast projectile is just hard. You start to run into fundamental physical limits.
>>
>>23091241
The drop pods are reusable, and the UNSC has a bunch of air support vehicles
>>
>>23091235
more effective filtering of bogus signatures
>>
ODSTs are the shit
If reinforcements are in that much of a dire need that they need to be shot in from orbit in pods and they'd survive impact and there is no other alternative then yeah it's feasible
>>
>/k/ is assuming all ODST missions would involve a series of events just like in the game

What made the mission of Halo ODST so much of a clusterfuck was that the squad was split up because of a slipspace rupture.

This is not typical usage at all for ODST deployments, typically they're into an area that already has some kind of force, and if not, it's the most cost effective way of putting boots on the ground opposed to risking entire dropships.

They'd be a niche group instead of the catch-all special forces like they're portrayed in the halo universe.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 255x595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 255x595px
>you'll never watch in awe as a Spartan II saves your entire squad from certain death from the xeno horde
>you'll never gasp with delight as he hands you a rocket launcher because he needs your shotgun
>you'll never call "shotgun!" and shoot rockets at gawking aliums while a crazy super soldier takes you on the joyride to end all joyrides

Why even go on?
>>
>>23092263
How many drop pods can you manufacture at the cost of 1 dropship?
>>
>>23095304
Considering it's just a hunk of metal with basic electronics and a parachute, versus an advanced deep space and reentry capable Assault Dropship, I'd say you can make quite a few drop pods for the same price point as a single Gunship.
>>
>>23092412
Is that a famas?
>>
>>23095365
Space famas
>>
>>23091755
To successfully create a smart AI, a human brain is mapped as a model. Unfortunately this also destroys the original source. Dr Halsey had a flash clone brain produced as a model for Cortana. There had been noted concern that the imperfect nature of the clone process would result in increased instability in Cortana and lead to rampancy at a premature age.
Halo cannon is pretty fucking boss.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.