[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/ I was considering having a sword custom forged to my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 30

File: sword.jpg (7KB, 218x231px) Image search: [Google]
sword.jpg
7KB, 218x231px
Sup /k/

I was considering having a sword custom forged to my specifications, not some shitty off the rack Cold Steel monstrosity.

>Be slightly over 6 foot
>Be about 200 pounds
>Pretty strong, regularly go to the gym/hike/shoot

I was most interested in a High Medieval Hand- and- a- Half sword or perhaps a broadsword.

Anyone have experience with swordsmiths/blacksmiths?
Or is it all just weaboo crap nowadays?
>>
File: IMG_1396.jpg (334KB, 1120x714px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1396.jpg
334KB, 1120x714px
Peter Regenyei made me a pretty decent longsword. Some anachronostic features with the blade though, I should have specified a bit better what I wanted I guess, he can certainly make them without such.

Otherwise, well, there's a lot of smiths out there who appear to know what they're doing when it comes to swords. What exactly do you have in mind?
>>
File: PJ-custom.jpg (52KB, 843x446px) Image search: [Google]
PJ-custom.jpg
52KB, 843x446px
unless its solely as a collection wall-hanging piece, my general advice is, never buy a custom sword, until you've been collecting commercially available stuff for a little while.

why?
simply because you will regret it in the long run. "I should've got a scent-stopper, not a wheel pommel", "I'd have preferred a longer grip" things like that. little details that you only really learn about from swinging a sword or three around a bit. That's even more relevant if you're wanting to learn it as a martial art. Using a blunt sparring sword for a few years you start to find you like particularly details - a slightly shorter blade, or a longer blade as you prefer the thrust, etc.

those details are what make the weapon work for you, but only trying out other swords will give you the hands-on experience to know what works for you. Otherwise, its a shot in the dark as to wether what the smith will make is what you'll like.

Also, research, research, and more research. You need to know the details of what real ones are, so that, as KM mentions, you avoid anachronistic features. A good swordsmith doing a custom job should be a long back and forth discussion of details, photos of originals, etc etc, to use as the basis of what they would make, but you need to know your history, just so you're not going to make a mistake if the smith is in error. Many are exceptionally good historians, but many more are not historians.

Pic is one by Peter Johnsson.
>>
>>22953675
>>22954086
Are both pics yours? The top one is pretty damn sexy

How much did it cost you?
>>
File: IMG_4817.jpg (297KB, 1277x767px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4817.jpg
297KB, 1277x767px
>>22954116
The pic I posted is of my custom Regenyei longsword, yes. Odds are the pic anon posted isn't one he owns (but if he does then there have better be a lot more pictures popping up in a hurry here). He mostly produces "off the rack" training weapons for the HEMA scene.
>>
File: IMG_1398.jpg (332KB, 1013x742px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1398.jpg
332KB, 1013x742px
>>22954116
>How much did it cost you?

Forgot that part... 320€+shipping IIRC. Something from Peter, well, add a zero, if he's available at all.
>>
File: 1403362628992.jpg (104KB, 743x541px) Image search: [Google]
1403362628992.jpg
104KB, 743x541px
ITT
>>
File: writhen-hilted-tods stuff.jpg (515KB, 2048x1599px) Image search: [Google]
writhen-hilted-tods stuff.jpg
515KB, 2048x1599px
>>22954116
two different people. KM just uses a trip, I refuse to.

that one is KM's Regenyei, I'm sure he'll be back later to confirm, but he's pretty cheap, 300-400 euros most likely. He had the advantage of being located in Hungary, so he can undercut a lot of the craftsmen's prices. Eastern Europe has a lot of smiths making things at pretty low priices, but a lot of them are very inaccurate.

that second photo is one by Peter Jonhsson, his stuff is absolutely renowned for its quality and historical accuracy, but is an order of magnitude more expensive, that one is an example he made a few months ago.

here's another, based off one in the Royal Armouries Leeds, made by Leo Todeschini.
>>
File: 1411062071027.jpg (28KB, 309x309px) Image search: [Google]
1411062071027.jpg
28KB, 309x309px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34
>>
File: Steffan_Roth_Langesmesser.jpg (310KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Steffan_Roth_Langesmesser.jpg
310KB, 1024x768px
>>22954205
>>22954181
Sadly, no, I dont own that one from PJ. I might eventually end up owning something from him, but that'll have to be a long time in the future, once I've established my own reputation as a maker to the point that I can afford such things as swords by other craftsmen. I'd like to get something from him though simply as he is the best of us.

Peter was an evil bastard and send me drawings of a falchion he'd like to make, and I now have serious lust issues. I'll have to talk to him next time I meet up, and get an accurate estimate on what I need to sell a kidney for.

PJ doesnt have nearly as long a waiting list as people assume, it must be said, by the way.

heres something a little different, a langes messer by Steffan Roth
>>
File: 1404281148129.png (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1404281148129.png
1MB, 800x600px
What's with autists and swords?
>>
File: b19v.jpg (252KB, 1206x1602px) Image search: [Google]
b19v.jpg
252KB, 1206x1602px
16th C complex-hilted bastard sword, this time by Patrick Barta.

I love the really subtle satin finish he manages to get on his hilts.
>>
>>22954364
what's with shitposters going on about "autists"?

Another craftsman doing custom work: Rob Miller from the Isle of Skye. Good bloke, but I dont get to talk to him enough.
>>
File: Fabrice Stiletto.jpg (473KB, 1963x1332px) Image search: [Google]
Fabrice Stiletto.jpg
473KB, 1963x1332px
Last craftsman I'll suggest for a little while: this pic obviously not a sword, but a craftsman I would say is likely to end up the match for Peter Johnsson in the future (so, order now, while he's still cheaper!) - Dr Fabrice Cognot, Bladesmith.

Extremely talented, and a great bloke too. Well worth a look for his work.
>>
>>22953562
Why is every modern blacksmith either a obese homobear with a goatee, or some skiny-fuck hippy wannabe with a ponytail?

Don't non-sperglords ever get interested in being blacksmiths?
>>
>>22954590
Why would they it's something you have to be obsessed with.
>>
>>22954590
Confirmation bias.
>>
>>22954373
>>22954402
>>22954474

Sorry I had to go for a little bit.

Thanks for all the info, its been really useful. I think i'll start by seeing what google has to offer in the way of cheap swords. From there I can get a rough idea of weight, hilt and so on.

I think a hand-and a half sword with a plain crossguard. I don't know enough about swords to specify a period. It would have to be when the impact charge became popularised, but before the popularisation of pike/schiltrom formations and the knight mounted or otherwise became redundant.
>>
>>22954832
Give Albion Swords a look. They have a pretty comprehensive line, and they're well-made and accurate pieces. Heck, you may even find one there that you'd like.

Alternatively, there's also Arms and Armor, but I only have experience with Albion blades.
>>
>>22954590

They are busy purchasing and training with modern weaponry AKA GUNS
>>
>>22954879
hyuck hyuck
>>
>>22954852
Will do my fellow /k/ommando

I don't think my bank account's going to like this
>>
File: 1302787732371.jpg (3MB, 2338x1501px) Image search: [Google]
1302787732371.jpg
3MB, 2338x1501px
>>22954832
>I think i'll start by seeing what google has to offer in the way of cheap swords

Unless you really know what you're doing this will probably cough up an ungodly pile of malevolent rubbish.

I should probably second the recommendation of getting a decent non-custom first, especially if you don't have a background in swordsmanship. They will be designs that work, whereas trying to assemble a pile of numbers yourself might not. If you are going the custom route, I'd try to find an historical original to copy.

>It would have to be when the impact charge became popularised
That was long before people started making hilts with room for both hands.

> but before the popularisation of pike/schiltrom formations
That was, hm, 14th century by and large? Ignoring the antique world of course.

>and the knight mounted or otherwise became redundant.
Somewhere in the 16th century for that by and large, though the Polish hussaria for example kept some very similar things around well into the 17th, if not longer.

Cheap, probably right period, perhaps leaning towards being a twohander, probably not crap: http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2424
>>
File: ren-nerd.jpg (236KB, 436x592px) Image search: [Google]
ren-nerd.jpg
236KB, 436x592px
<-- ITT
>>
>>22954474

How would one get in contact with him?

Also not OP but I don't want to start my own thread. I heard of 5960 carbon steel being infused with other metal which turns all the metal red to the core. Is this true or just bullshit? If it is true, how expensive would it be to get a blade custom made with this metal and would it even be strong enough for say an axe head that gets used weekly?
>>
File: crusades.jpg (147KB, 862x582px) Image search: [Google]
crusades.jpg
147KB, 862x582px
>>22954914
>Nerds
>For wanting to preserve tools from an age when people actually united under a common purpose
>TFW you are the reason the West is dying, a bit like roman citizens in denial even as the Goths and Vandals razed your empire
>>
>>22954963
Why do you give an attention whore what he wants?
>>
File: images_SH2400_l.jpg (70KB, 382x1130px) Image search: [Google]
images_SH2400_l.jpg
70KB, 382x1130px
>>22954905
Unfortunately, good swords tend to be fairly pricy.

Have you considered buying something cheaper to get a feel for swords of the era? How about a Hanwei Tinker Bastard Sword?

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2400

It's a basic but well-balanced blade. You can get a good idea of how a bastard of this type handles and performs with it, while not breaking the bank.

My personal tastes run to single handers, but the Hanwei Tinkers that I've held have been solid.
>>
>>22954911
Cheers dude, i'm afraid i'm a britbong but I'm sure I can find something similar.
>>
>>22954914
>>22954914
>implying that you yourself is not a fat old beta
Fuck off zed, are you even trying?
>>
On a somewhat related note, anyone here have experience in becoming a blacksmith? I already have experience in things like welding, and was curious how you go about getting into the craft.
>>
>>22954919
>How would one get in contact with him?
Google his name, links get spam flagged.

>Is this true or just bullshit?
Depending on what they call red it certainly sounds highly suspect. Getting some metal atoms into a bar of steel, short of melting the whole damn thing, can (will) be a royal pain in the ass. And I doubt whatever process it could be (if there's some truth to it) is done with much thought being given to the mechanical properties of the final result. It strictly speaking won't be 5960 any more after they've "infused" it with any metal. Now I have seen some wallhanger in black and red, but I suspect a pretty harsh etching regime was involved there, to "paint" the colours onto the surface of pattern wleded material.
>>
>>22955003

http://www.iforgeiron.com/

It's probably best to start with grinding billets and then working into forging with a propane burner. Coal's only advantage in current times is for welding because of the oxygen poor environment inside the fire.
>>
>>22954982
the reason zed has not shot himself with one of his fuddshit guns to get sweet release from his shitty life is because he knows he can get people to pay attention to him here. kill a zed, ignore blatant shitposting.
>>
File: yesitwasbloodyhotinthere.jpg (842KB, 2256x2337px) Image search: [Google]
yesitwasbloodyhotinthere.jpg
842KB, 2256x2337px
>>22954976
Hanwei is a Chinese company who has their products sold all over the place. Should be a few in the UK too.

>>22955003
One of the anons above can tell you quite a lot about making swords at least. My own experience is limited, to say the least.
>>
>>22955038
This is me drumming up more attention for myself. Because I'm such an attention whore.
>>
>>22955022
>>22955043
Is taking classes nearby a good option if I can?
>>
File: landsknecht.jpg (13KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
landsknecht.jpg
13KB, 191x264px
OP here
I just got reading about the Landschnekt infantry here:

The Landschnekts have always interested me for some reason
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-landesknecht-maximilian.htm

I knew they were copied from the Swiss pikemen but I never knew they carried two handed swords
>>
>>22955090
I like the look of the Type XXII swords, but keep in mind that's a 5 pound sword. You may want to work up to it first.

The Tinker line has a Great Sword of War- a type XIII for a lot less money and weight- to sort of get a feel for a big two handed cutting sword:

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2424

Once you feel comfortable with the type, you can move up.
>>
File: castillon1.jpg (94KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
castillon1.jpg
94KB, 1024x768px
>>22954905
>I don't think my bank account's going to like this

A custom sword, from someone like myself is not cheap.

roughly speaking, you've got dozens of hours of consultation, doing design drawings, sending them back and forth discussing a design with the client. As most weapons will be based on historical originals,, probably at least one, maybe two museums will be travelled to to look at originals, get them taken out of cases, and then catalogued and studied. Each of those will be at least a day's work, and may involve travel for 400,500 miles to a specific museum, or more.

then there's the actual making, which depending on the details might be 50, 60 hours of work shaping just the blade, and then twice or three times that long working on hilts, possibly including leatherworking tooling the hilt, or using gravers and carving details like inscriptions, or religious symbols into the blade, and inlaying those with brass, copper or even gold (and a 1mm thick wire of 24ct gold just 2 inches long will cost maybe $30 just for the material.) A pommel might be cast in bronze, and covered in glass enamel filling in the details, or it might have text engraved all over it.

and then, you have the scabbard, because a sword which is sharp, without a scabbard is a gun without a safety - its asking for an accident. - that may involve custom-carving wax masters for lostwax casting of buckles, it might have 10 hours of working with glue and wood making the core, and you've got feet of stitching in tough leather all by hand to do which takes hours.

So, while a sword might only have $20 of steel in it, there's a huge amount of hand-worked craftsmanship goes into each individual weapon turning that raw material into the object, and more significantly, tens of thousands of hours of research effort which have been done for the craftsman to be skilled enough to do the work, which is what you're paying for.
>>
File: kukri.jpg (620KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
kukri.jpg
620KB, 2048x1152px
>>22955162
how much for a gladius, bone handle, wood pommel?

or for pic related?
>>
>>22955187
Albion sells theirs for around $800. Del Tin make an okay Gladius for around 350-400.

Windlass makes a surprisingly decent Pompeii Gladius
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500598

It's okay for accuracy and performance. Don't get any of their other ones, they're not accurate at all.
>>
File: yasumitsu2.jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
yasumitsu2.jpg
132KB, 800x600px
Forges are really easy to make. Not too expensive to run either if you can work fast. I think it's something every blade enthusiast should try at some point.
>>
>>22955187
I can't be that hard to find a old Mk3, can it? An it'll take a lot of Gurkha romance to make it cheaper to have one custom made.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8490
>>
>>22955014
Figured the red color was a bit of bullshit..

And I did look him up got his FB and his website neither of which show a way to contact him about custom weapons.
>>
File: 1383077486902.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1383077486902.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>22953562
unless you are into hema and have been doing it for a while get something from cult of athena as your first and move up o albion swords. after that you will know better about what you want in a wsord and will be able to work with a smith. get involved in whatever hema group you can find in your area(not arma). dealing with them you will pick up on reliable smiths you can contact.
>>
>>22955249
Got any materials on how to make one? Always wanted to give it a try, just for a hobby.
>>
>>22955187
back of fag-packet guesstimates? Well. I'd charge in £GBP since I'm in the caliphate of britfaggiah, so take $/Euro conversions accordingly.

A good gladius, based off fulham or mainz patterns, some good quality woods (olive, walnut, etc. and maybe using bone as a ivory substitute), because they dont involve a complex hilt with lots of steel forging or the likes, I'd probably say about £600-750 all inclusive with a scabbard based off the original scabbards, so, maybe 1100 dollars or 800 euros, roughly?
Some of the Czech guys or the likes would probably do the whole thing for 500-600 euros, but I cant speak for certainty for them.

the khukuri, that's more knifemaking than swordsmithing, so pretty straightforward. I wouldnt expect to ask more than £250 for something like that, assuming nice black horn and silver plate details for the hilt construction, or something like that. Something that's an absolutely certain design like that with blueprints is a lot less cost because you dont need to spend time on the research work. To be honest, the big uncertainty on costing for one of them would be simply I've never made a scabbard/sheath for that sort of blade, and I would have to experiment and poke the one I own to see how they made 'em.

(I'm sure plenty of other smiths would be cheaper, and faster, mind. I do take my time, as I am a horrible perfectionist.)
>>
>>22955311
There's a ton of how to vids on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWXW1bluPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqqbvRTvWbk
>>
>>22954474
are those butt plugs on the side?
>>
>>22954232
ITS TAPE
>>
>>22953562
If you want a sword, buy yourself a sword! Don't worry about what people think.
If you're not some wussy faggot spouting jap words in an attempt to appear japanese, no one will think you're a weeb.
>>
File: 1400012795673.jpg (143KB, 920x690px) Image search: [Google]
1400012795673.jpg
143KB, 920x690px
>>22955346
k thx

some humor for your trouble.
>>
>>22954963
>an age when people actually united under a common purpose
That's some amazingly romantic view of the past you have there.
>>
>>22955488
>If you want a sword, buy yourself a sword! Don't worry about what people think.

this.
If you want a sword. get a sword. if you want a wheel-lock pistol, do so. hell, you have two horses, get a damn chariot. why the hell not? Fuck what people think.

the only important thing to remember is this: These are historical weapons. Modern equipment is far more efficient. A sword is utterly obsolete for a modern conflict, just like the chariot.

However, if it interests you and is for fun? Collect whatever you like.

Just remember, however much fun it is to learn to fight with longswords (and the answer to that is "fucking tonnes of fun." - I enjoy studying HEMA far more than I enjoy going out to a shooting range.) dont be That Guy who goes around saying how his training with a longsword/katana/rapier/whatever means he is able to be a match for any bloke with a rifle today, or all that sort of crap.

Historical weapons are like enjoying listening to a 78rpm gramophone record. You can enjoy the music, but don't be the arsehole who says its better than a modern CD or MP3?
>>
>>22954914
>posting a picture of yourself.
Classy.
>>
>>22955657
>tfw want two swords, a spear, two flintlock pistols and a blunderbuss, but all my pro-funs friends make fun of me ;_;
>get an AR instead to be c-c-cool...
>>
>>22954086
>Fishtail pommel
>3:1 proportions
>High quality leather on the hilt
>hollow grind

>Filename

Yeah gotta take a mortgage on that.
>>
File: W3GdH.jpg (665KB, 780x3202px) Image search: [Google]
W3GdH.jpg
665KB, 780x3202px
get on this guys level
>>
>>22954963
the image is disgustingly wrong, did the author have any grasp on basic economic history or social-political history? I think not
>>
>>22954215
Swords are weapons too.
Also, this isn't about shitty pot metal weaboo swords.
>>
File: AA_SwissSaber02.jpg (58KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
AA_SwissSaber02.jpg
58KB, 1280x800px
>>22953562

Two handed Swiss Sabre,

All the benefits of a medieval long sword or bastard sword
With the hand protection of a rapier
>>
>>22957572
eh, its unlikely to be more than $5000.

yes, its a lot, but not for the work involved.
>>
File: he's a big guy.png (84KB, 200x190px) Image search: [Google]
he's a big guy.png
84KB, 200x190px
>>22954232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oTUVtUqcM
>>
>>22954402
Doesn't look like it would be very easy so swing around

I also know nothing about knives over machet length
>>
>>22955162
>gun without a safety
What is the Glock 17 of swords?
>>
>>22959986
What makes you think it wouldn't be easy to swing?
>>
>>22959986
something like that probably weighs little more than two pounds. a little tiring to fling around, but its not really designed for that. you dont leap about like some daft kung-fu wire-work film, with real weapons.

you dont need great big "conan" style swings to be able to move it around and put it into another guy's face.

this video shows the sort of techniques swords exactly like that are used with - and you should be able to see how light and agile the swords they're using are, from the way they're being moved around, back and forth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6YIBaD4j0
>>
File: ESSE4wMOLLE.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
ESSE4wMOLLE.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>22960069
the shape of the handle seems awkward like it wouldn't feel very stable in you hand

but Im used to blades like this
>>
Just buy a gun.
>>
>>22960281
you have a cross in front, and a pommel behind your hand.

there's absolutely no way that's going to fall out of the hand, irrespective of the sort of grip you use, and you want the sword to be able to be moved about, to control it - its not gripped tight like an axe for chopping wood.
>>
>>22954232
>practical
>elite
>khuh-tana
pick one
>>
File: De_suith.jpg (33KB, 692x473px) Image search: [Google]
De_suith.jpg
33KB, 692x473px
>>22953562

Look up Jake Powning, OP. His shit is gorgeous.
>>
Hey autistic retards, how much money did you throw away by getting these archaic useless wallhangers?
>>
>>22960351
if people are talking about their enjoyment of horse riding, do you tell them to "just buy a car"?

if they say they enjoy going to a theatre and listening to an orchestra, do you tell them "just get a CD"

Well done. You're an asshole.

And you just demonstrated how much of an asshole for everyone to see. A gun is better? Really! In other news, the sky is blue.

Has the thought ever crept past the scars from your lobotomy into your brain that perhaps, just maybe, people are interested in swords... AND guns? or that they might be interested in a sword because its a historical weapon, not a modern one? Or that they might want a sword simply because it looks pretty on the wall.

Go choke on a lubricated horsecock, tosser.
>>
File: Tooktheb8.jpg (132KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Tooktheb8.jpg
132KB, 801x1200px
>>22960478
>>
>>22960478
Aw, is the bong jealous that I can own both and he can't really own either?
>>
>>22960478
>But you can't choke on a car cock
You're doing it again, faggot.
>>
>>22960524

its the one comment so idiotically vapid that it drives me up the fucking wall when I hear it.
>>
>>22960595
Gee, sounds like someone needs to take their medication.
>>
>>22957597
We have /k/-Prime!
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.