[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so many engrish Japanese word/pronunciations? Is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: 297.jpg (10KB, 200x246px) Image search: [Google]
297.jpg
10KB, 200x246px
Why are there so many engrish Japanese word/pronunciations? Is it's just taking english words, why isn't it faithful? Why does it add the awkward accent?

poster becomes Posuta, door is doa, etc
>>
Did you know that different languages have different ways of pronouncing things?
>>
Cock Zero: Diet Cock for men afraid of what others will think.
>>
Almost every Japanese consonant is followed by a vowel sound. It's in their alphabet and they can't change it. There is no 'T' or 'F' it's To/Ta or Fu, etc etc.
>>
Same reason you can't pronounce взблеск
>>
It's transcribed in katakana, and cannot be faithful.
>>
>>14697902
I can.
>>
Japan has next to zero understanding of the English language, but they love to try and use it. Resulting in Engrish. Japanese versions of foreign words (door -> doa, juice -> juusu) isn't really even English anymore, it's Japanese.
>>
File: 1_1.jpg (602KB, 638x7596px) Image search: [Google]
1_1.jpg
602KB, 638x7596px
>>
File: 2_1.jpg (531KB, 638x6940px) Image search: [Google]
2_1.jpg
531KB, 638x6940px
>>
File: 3_1.jpg (614KB, 638x8130px) Image search: [Google]
3_1.jpg
614KB, 638x8130px
>>
>>14697813
500ml is a lot of cock
>>
>>14697890
ん - The exception.
>>
File: 1454328546991.jpg (131KB, 594x444px) Image search: [Google]
1454328546991.jpg
131KB, 594x444px
i am merely grass...
>>
File: KanaChart.jpg (181KB, 1600x976px) Image search: [Google]
KanaChart.jpg
181KB, 1600x976px
>>14697813
Because they dont use the same alphabet so they have to get creative in assembling those words.
Pic related.
>>
>>14697813
Why are there so many bastardized French English word/pronunciations? Is it's just taking French words, why isn't it faithful? Why does it add the awkward accent?

calendrier becomes calendar, chanoine is canon, etc
>>
>>14700358
Wanted to post this.
>>
>>14700358
french people pronounce things weird and queerly

not kidding thats literally the reason, they put way too much effort in pronouncing shit and sound like uppity faggots whenever they open their mouths
>>
>>14697813
>Why does it add the awkward accent

it's not an awkward accent if you're Japanese. They're probably transliterating it phonetically, based on the way a Japanese person would actually say it.
>>
File: Cirno.full.94293.jpg (79KB, 756x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cirno.full.94293.jpg
79KB, 756x1000px
>>14700260
Do they just switch alphabets whenever they feel like or is one for formality and one for casual conversations?
>>
>>14706654
katakana is for loanwords which there is a ton of
>>
>>14706654
Among other reasons, they switch between alphabets to indicate word breaks, since Japanese doesn't use spaces.
>>
>>14698436
4 U
>>
なんで英語で日本語言葉の発音が違うの?言葉借りるだけでしょ?なんでおかしいなまりが付く?

津波にスーナーミで、カラオケにカリオーキとか。

The truth is that Japanese is a moraic language; consonants must be followed by a vowel.

The same is true in English, it's just not heard; the letter sounds, for instance: b = buh. The generic vowel is this "uh" sound that English speakers ignore.
>>
the real question is what is 100 plus ass?
>>
In addition to the syllable alphabet, there are also just simply a bunch of sounds in English which simply absolutely do not exist in Japanese.
>>
>>14700358
That has to do with the evolution of Norman French words in England. They began as faithful French words of the era used by the elites, but as they were disseminated to the "English" speakers of the common populace they changed over time. Whereas, Japanese people pronounce loanwords differently than the original words because they transcribe them into Katakana so as to make them grammatically suitable for Japanese. Two different though somewhat similar situations.
>>
I hate this kind of thread
>>
>>14709543

It just confuses me how there can be users on this board that don't have any clue at all about the language.

Are they extremely new, or have they had an interest in a while, but remained so completely ignorant?
>>
>>14697902
Beoneck?
>>
がっこうにふゆやすみでいきましたか, crossies?
>>
>>14713054
Begneck.
>>
>>14709459
I think, many loanwords in European languages weren't necessarily changed over the long time, it's just that French ones is probably not the best analogy, because as you pointed out it was also a language of elite/diplomacy that used them in their original form. I'd guess that words that were brought over with sailors or soldiers transformed pretty much right from the start, because of differences in pronunciation or grammar, so it's the same as Japanese usage of English.
>>
>>14710465
Latter
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.