[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so bad about western artists?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: orin_by_arlmuffin-d98upwk.png (1MB, 800x1146px) Image search: [Google]
orin_by_arlmuffin-d98upwk.png
1MB, 800x1146px
Or is is just a select few that draw annoying stuff?
>>
>>14669163
It's because of deviantart tier shit being the most common. I would be the first to tell you that plenty of good western artists are out there, but it is like trying to wading through a quagmire to get to them.
>>
File: 1453160902943-1.png (4MB, 1657x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1453160902943-1.png
4MB, 1657x1202px
>>14669163
>What's so bad about western artists? A
The culture they grow up in.
THey live in bubbles where they arent criticized, so then end up never improving and this is the result. Meanwhile Japan has more artists who are all competing, and manga is a lucrative thing for them.

Oh and out "professional" stuff is also poor quality, look at squirrel girl or adventure time.
Now look at this.
Oh and the west now has a culture where pretty women are "unrealistic".
>>
>>14669163
It's a select few that draw good stuff
>>
>>14669163
Noses
Always the nose
>>
Tarakanovich has some good stuff.
>>
Sturgeon's law.
>>
Western art always seems more abstract. Japan aims more for idealism.
>>
>>14669204
>Oh and the west now has a culture where pretty women are "unrealistic".
I find this so silly since they draw women so ugly it becomes unrealistic again .
>>
>>14669229
>abstract
That's a good word. I couldn't express what it was that makes westerners more concerned with realism but looking less real.

They use "abstract realism", where they go for more realistic porportions but at the same time the body is this abstract concept. Japanese things tend to do the opposite, a kind of "realistic abstraction" where they use symbols to portray things. Japs will make a sexy girl out of a few scribbly lines, whereas westerners will draw a "sexy girl".

>>14669163
There's nothing wrong with them. There's just a lot of people who don't try. At all. You don't get that shitty-but-quaint style lots of doujin game makers, not just ZUN, have. You just get shit. I don't have a problem with western comics in general though, because I've seen various manga, doujin and not, and I can say with confidence that I, as a total amateur, can draw better than some manga authors that make regular money off their works.

I also think westerners focus too much on coloring drawings. Bad coloring will completely ruin linework. There's also this "don't copy" thing they have that influences them to the point they feel it is bad to use references.

As far as annoying stuff, styles like OP are annoying, but there are annoying Japanese styles too. It seems to be more prevalent in the west due to the shittiness of western cartoons.
>>
>>14669204
No offense dude, but using Adventure Time to criticize Western artists is like using Crayon Shin-Chan to criticize anime.

Going to the OP, I've never been a hardcore weeaboo, but one thing I've noticed is that most Japanese artists use similar artstyles. They are all different, but they are all clearly "anime" artstyles. Westerners tend to have radically different styles, which can look offputting if you're used to the more homogenous styles used by the Japanese.

Another thing is that basically every Japanese style makes characters look vaguely cute/attractive. This isn't the case for Western styles, which can make them off-putting for weebs like us.

Westerners are super-unoriginal at comic panels, basically every panel even in the artsy comics is a rectangle. The Japanese use a lot of different shapes in their panels, which I like.

A lot of new Western artists are weebs, but are absolutely horrible at drawing anime. They just try to copy their favorite shit and fuck it up constantly. I dunno how, anime isn't even that fucking hard but they just keep messing it up, holy shit.

I don't mind them, so long as they can actually draw and have an interesting artstyle that isn't an excuse for poor drawing skills.
>>
File: 52005124_p0.png (3MB, 1460x2060px) Image search: [Google]
52005124_p0.png
3MB, 1460x2060px
>>14669163
Most the good western artists usually end up drawing Gfur and other shit tier fetishes.
>>
>>
>>14670308
>but using Adventure Time to criticize Western artists is like using Crayon Shin-Chan to criticize anime.

They're both really, really good compared to the way they're drawn, and they both make you uncomfortable when you see lewds of the girls?
>>
>>14670456
>good western artists
>Gfur
>shit tier fetishes

I disagree. It is the shittiest ones who cater to some group of reprobates.
>>
Seems like they are making their own plush, too.
>>
>>14670456
It's the same for Japanese ones too. Same types of fetishes too.
>>
>>14670492
The thing is, good western artists end up drawing that kind of stuff since there's a lot of furries and other degenerates that are willing to pay big money for a commission.
>>
>>14670493
If ZUN was a girl, this is what he would make.
>>
>>14669163
What is with all these retarded threads on /jp/ frontpage? Are we getting raied by the alliance of idiots from other boards?
>>
>>14669163
I like that one though.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.