[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your vocabulary in English? Please teach me!! http:/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 32

File: image.jpg (112KB, 600x299px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 600x299px
What is your vocabulary in English?
Please teach me!!
http://testyourvocab.com

And,how did you learn your vocabulary?
>>
>>14574955
Some people learn their vocabulary on 4chan which I think is funny since half the posters barely know English.
>>
By growing up in an English speaking country.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-05+at+02.30.56).png (8KB, 485x255px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-05+at+02.30.56).png
8KB, 485x255px
turkish bloke who was born and raised in germany so its my third language
english classes provided grammar
i have learnt vocabulary mostly through reading and writing on the internet
if you see a word that you dont know just get the translation and try not to forget it
>>
Read a lot of older books you want to sound smart. Live in an English speaking country if you want to actually be able to talk
>>
File: Untitled.png (15KB, 554x307px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15KB, 554x307px
Grew up in the US of A. I recognized a lot of these as words I've understood in context but I didn't mark anything I wouldn't be able to explain to a friend.

It boggles my mind that people can actually learn an entire language via shitposting
>>
by playing vidya gems and internet forums.
>>
Honestly very surprised I got more than the other posters did.
http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=6098705
>>
>>14576442
Anyways, I learnt English by living in the USA and having parents who banned me from television, thus getting and reading a large number of books from the library.
Children's fantasy actually works somewhat well, but graduating from children's novels is even better.
>>
>>14574955
As a man who writes fiction in his downtime it hurts that i'm not that far ahead of most.
Got 23,000
>>
File: 9810.jpg (11KB, 382x209px) Image search: [Google]
9810.jpg
11KB, 382x209px
English is my third language, I have never speaked it IRL and I don't consume western media either so my listening is probably really bad too I just read and post in english sites.
I was never good with my two native languages either, I'm sure my vocabulary is lower than the average.
I rarely encounter words that I don't know, and 99% of the time I can guess them by the context, I'd say it's possible to live speaking a language with a lot less than 9k. The most used words are the important part you need to learn, the rest comes from practice.
>>
is there one of these for japanese words so this thread can actually be relevant
>>
18,400 words
germoney here, I learned my first English vocab in Blizzard games
>>
18k and Germany as well.
>>

I was born in the US and indulged in a lot of different forms of media
>>
>>14576519
Oh I got relief.my vocabulary is almost same number with you.
>>
19k from SEA
Could use more learning I guess
>>
30,800. Native english speaker; Canada. I read things.
>>
English is my first language and I live in the US, my score is lower than all the other pictures so I guess that's what I get for only reading manga and posting on 4chan.

Fuck it, I don't need English to read eroge and light novels.
>>
21,200 words Mexican NEET, obviously my 2nd language. I've learned it without taking a formal course.

http://testyourvocab.com/result?user=6099146
>>
>>14576873
That's the spirit~
>>
>>14575878
Kebab remove
>>
>>14576873
Are you african american?
>>
24,300. Nordic.

I have probably uttered less than a thousand words, i.e. I've never really had a spoken conversation in English. I spend my days reading.
>>
I got 34800. I did a lot of these wordmaster things in elementary school and I took latin in high school.
>>
File: vocab.png (15KB, 754x415px) Image search: [Google]
vocab.png
15KB, 754x415px
23 years old, puts me right at average i guess. I kind of feel like this is inaccurate though since I work in the medical field and spent years basically memorizing various scientific and medical terms which are not a part of this test and many laymen do not know. I also know at least 12k jap words.

As far as how I learned it, just grew up in america is all. I had vocab tests throughout grade school but I'm sure that's not uncommon.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-05+at+07.09.47).png (13KB, 695x352px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-05+at+07.09.47).png
13KB, 695x352px
Norwegian. I've had English classes, but they've only taught me grammar, if anything. Vocab's mainly from video games and the internet, I think.
>>
how is this otaku culture related?
>>
The second page was full of words I haven't seen or read in the past 15 years of my life, during most of which I've only frequented the English-speaking portions of the interwebs. Can't be that important to know then. By the way, my score was 16k, which apparently isn't that good, but still kind of exceeds my expectation.

There's no way I actually know that many English words, so I question the overall accuracy of the poll.
>>
>>14579272
There's only one way to check. Start writing down every word you know at least one definition of and see what it tallies up to.
>>
All this does is tell me that I'm still not even at kindergarden level Japanese, given that most native English speakers apparently know upwards of 20000 words. Not to mention that even though I ``know'' some words on paper, I might not actually recognize them all the time thanks to kanji fucking me over and leaving my brain.
>>
File: www.png (8KB, 507x260px) Image search: [Google]
www.png
8KB, 507x260px
From the United States. Mostly video games, shitposting, and arguing with people on the internet.
>>
File: some native I am.png (7KB, 466x266px) Image search: [Google]
some native I am.png
7KB, 466x266px
>>14576873
Hey, you're better off than me at least.
>>
File: engrish.png (12KB, 699x640px) Image search: [Google]
engrish.png
12KB, 699x640px
I learned English with the Internet.

And it's my 3rd language.
>>
do the same test but only mark off words you know an accurate japanese translation for
>>
>>14574955
Just
>>
>>14582730
Haha.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-06+at+11.04.25).png (8KB, 679x267px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-06+at+11.04.25).png
8KB, 679x267px
English is my second language. I mostly learned from reading on the internet. No English classes. I'm surprised that you
>>
>>14579272
God damn I pretty much did the same thing as you and got 16~17k as well. Besides Harry Potter and Twilight, I never really read any other fictional storybooks during my teenage years. Most of my exposure to English outside of a classroom environment comes from internet browsing. Along with a bit of magazines like NatGeo to help my expository writing.
>>
>>14582791
I see what you did there, but you typed English twice, so technically you have another word you didn't type.
>>
>>14576519
Spoken is the past tense form of speak.
>>
>18,500
I feelretarded. I am a burger ffs
>>
Finnish
>>
File: embarrassing.png (22KB, 707x487px) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.png
22KB, 707x487px
considering how much I read this is really pathetic
>>
File: measuring contest.png (15KB, 412x242px) Image search: [Google]
measuring contest.png
15KB, 412x242px
Parents had a bunch of educational videos that I ended up absorbing, came to Canada and just grew off of novels.
Never really bought into those kids' books that replace complex words with pictures because that's dumb.

Not super interesting, but I found it funny how it was games that made me learn obscure words like cuisses or garrison.
>>
File: q.png (8KB, 396x276px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
8KB, 396x276px
native speaker but i'm a dumb dropout who barely reads

i think i got pretty lucky on the word list though
>>
File: lol.png (22KB, 757x462px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
22KB, 757x462px
>>
I bet not a single person has said the word 'tatterdemalion' during the 21st century.
>>
File: Безымянный.png (4KB, 268x171px) Image search: [Google]
Безымянный.png
4KB, 268x171px
>>14576519
Same here.
>>
>>14588015
I bet you someone has.
>>
File: reasonable.png (18KB, 727x426px) Image search: [Google]
reasonable.png
18KB, 727x426px
Brazillian guy who actually took a course since I was a kid, finished it when I was a teen. Kinda disappointed in myself, but whatever, really.
>>
>>
24,100, native english speaker.

unless i just got a really rough list, i think the listed 20,000–35,000 range is probably bullshit (people lying and/or poorly-representing sample population) because i definitely have a larger vocabulary than the majority of people i know.

then again i'm an IT person so i deal with a lot of foreigners. i always did pretty well at boggle though.
>>
>>14574963
My too, man, my too
>>
22100, native English 9th grade dropout.

What the fuck is a bugbear?
>>
File: 1451967305161.jpg (6KB, 382x209px) Image search: [Google]
1451967305161.jpg
6KB, 382x209px
>>14582887
Thanks!
>>
File: vocab.png (9KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
vocab.png
9KB, 400x300px
From the USA, read far too much.

Bugbear is, among other things, a monster in Dungeons and Dragons.
>>
31000, apparently. Not a native speaker.
I think that's way overblown, though.
>>
>>14574955
I only know 5 words English:

CONDUCTOR
WE
HAVE
A
PROBLEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmI-hGthrwA
>>
>>14591239
just in case you thought it was funny: it isn't
also stop crossboarding
>>
>>14591476

What crossboarding? And why do you accuse me of such a thing in a thread that's completely irrelevant to /jp/ to begin with?
>>
>>14592017
>What crossboarding?
your conductor we have a problem thingy was spready mainly on /pol/ iirc and was posted a bit on /v/ and /int/
this "meme" doesn't belong in this board

>And why do you accuse me of such a thing in a thread that's completely irrelevant to /jp/ to begin with?
you're in /jp/, no matter the thread, it doesn't mean you can post any new fresh (unfunny) meme unrelated to the board just for the sake of it
>>
>>14592023
>your conductor we have a problem thingy was spready mainly on /pol/ iirc and was posted a bit on /v/ and /int/

That's very funny, because I had no idea about it, since I don't go to a single of those boards you mentioned.

But you knew...

I don't think there's anything more I have to say, my crossie-projecting-crossie friend.
>>
>>14592031
>That's very funny, because I had no idea about it, since I don't go to a single of those boards you mentioned.
>But you knew...
I'm not the one posting it
kiddo

also if you didn't see it on another board, then the only thing left is /r/4chan
>>
>>14592053
>I'm not the one posting it
I saw it on a Japanese forum, unlike you.
>>
>>14592056
>I saw it on a Japanese forum, unlike you.
I'm always excited to see what the nips think of dark Western memes, please share where you found this discussion.
>>
>>14592056
i don't care where you saw it, what matters is where you post it
you wouldn't want me to start checking for dubs here would you?
>>
>>14592058
You have to be registered there for a year to see it.
>>
21,900 words

I thought natives were meant to know 40k words.
>>
File: 109154abaf[1].png (15KB, 444x304px) Image search: [Google]
109154abaf[1].png
15KB, 444x304px
>>14591119
>>14582115

Naisu scores m8s

I mostly do /tg/ related stuff which is how I acquired more esoteric vocabulary, but a lack of a steady diet of fantasy literature is what I feel is leaving me drawing a blank on some of these more rare and unusual words.

I've started reading Gary Gygax's books on how to be a good player and DM, and though I criticize his works for being especially wordy despite only communicating simple ideas, his vocabulary is really impressive.
>>
File: 無題.png (8KB, 468x266px) Image search: [Google]
無題.png
8KB, 468x266px
I practically never read things in English, but this test is still complete bullshit. No way is my English vocabulary only twice the size of my Japanese vocabulary. I still feel like a baby in Japanese.
>>
>>14592168
Do the test marking off only the words you know an accurate, nuanced Japanese translation for.

I scored 4100 (against 30k English).
>>
>>14588128
http://www.theuseofwordsintheenglishlanguage.com/tatterdemalion

lol no one did
>>
>>14592222
I just did it and got 12,500. Pretty much exactly half.
>>
>>14592222
1,740, I know it is even less then that.
>>
>>14592222

6,570 in Japanese.

Almost 1/3 of the way to my level of fluency in English.
>>
>>14592067
Yeah, sure, I totally believe you..
>>
>>14575878
can you like- not visit /jp/ please? maybe even stay go forever?
>>
File: test.png (12KB, 388x250px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
12KB, 388x250px
For a french guy, not too bad, don't you think ^^ ?
>>
>>14593413
It was actually a recently added rule (2013 or 14) to filter out all the 4channers who wanted to go there.
>>
File: file.png (11KB, 671x345px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11KB, 671x345px
>>14590904
the company that made the flatout games obviously

honestly I probably don't know all of the words I checked
>>
File: chieko.jpg (182KB, 3407x1035px) Image search: [Google]
chieko.jpg
182KB, 3407x1035px
Can someone tell me what this note says?
Thanks
>>
File: ay.png (19KB, 599x315px) Image search: [Google]
ay.png
19KB, 599x315px
Mexican here. /lit/ helped a lot to get to this point.

There was a site like this but for japanese. I'll try to search for it. I know around 11k nihongo words, around a third gradier level.
>>
File: jap.png (13KB, 684x123px) Image search: [Google]
jap.png
13KB, 684x123px
>>14594906
>>
How are you guys saying you know over 10,000 Japanese words? Are you all N1?
>>
>>14595007

10k is not N1 level.
>>
File: imwhiningoverthis.png (23KB, 426x354px) Image search: [Google]
imwhiningoverthis.png
23KB, 426x354px
I grew up in the USA. I've constantly scored high in terms of reading and writing throughout school growing up, and I tend to use a more broad vocabulary than what seems common for the most part. I often have trouble finding the right word(s) when forming a sentence, and difficulty articulating and worrying if what I'm saying isn't accurate corresponding to what I want to communicate across. I think that's just me being a try-hard/perfectionist, and I think it shows to the people that I talk with. That's what I get for not taking the time to read books in my OWN time and not just assignments like a properly functioning child. I just read websites and listen to videos on the internet, it's all I'm doing and all I've ever been doing.
>>
File: Untitled.png (9KB, 399x244px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 399x244px
Grew up in America and the UK. Let me tell you, those British kids are fucking awful at speaking English.

I had a pretty inconsistent education and never really bothered reading much outside of books we had to read in school.
>>
File: 1452012072032.jpg (30KB, 403x497px) Image search: [Google]
1452012072032.jpg
30KB, 403x497px
>>14594744
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.

You're welcome.
>>
>>14574955
I got 27k, but I feel like that's because there were so many words that would end up in a video game or something.
>>
File: English.png (16KB, 1124x201px) Image search: [Google]
English.png
16KB, 1124x201px
>>14595500

British English has never had an authoritative body.

It's a variety of pidgin languages that evolved to the point where they can understand each other, while still sounding significantly different. While the grammar used by working class regional accents might be formally wrong, that is how they've spoken since it was a distinct language with different rules, with the obvious evolution towards a common norm over time, of course. It's not a case of they're too retarded to have learnt it correctly. These differences are dying out though, because of the less regional nature of the modern world.

With American English, this was largely broken down centuries ago due to new communities being formed rather than being centuries old, so the language is far more uniform. The notable exception being ebonics, which, if I understand correctly, was a result of trying to teach blacks a simplified English which they retained as a cultural dialect.

Scots is one of the examples where it didn't normalise anywhere near as much.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.