[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English grammar doubt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3

File: ep.jpg (69KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
ep.jpg
69KB, 850x400px
This phrase:
>you ain't never caught no rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine

should'n more correctly be phrased as:
>you ain't ever caught a rabbit and you ain't a friend of mine ?
Can anyone explain-me, please?
>>
You're asking about grammar and using ain't?
>>
>>54995588
>should'n more correctly be phrased as:
>you ain't ever caught a rabbit and you ain't a friend of mine ?

Yes, but it's a song so don't worry about it . Also "ain't" isn't considered good english.
>>
>>54995588

Completely grammatically correct would be:

>You haven't ever caught a rabbit and you aren't a friend of mine

All the negation words (ain't, never, no) are just for emphasis, but only one negation is needed to make the sentence a negative.
>>
>>54995703
>>54995693

I know, it's informal.
>>
>>54995719
this but just because it's gramatically incorrect doesn't mean some native speakers don't speak this way
>>
>>54995719
That's what triggered me to post this.
>>
>>54995719
It could also be:
>... you are no friend of mine.
Right?
>>
>>54995588
That's how normal people speak. Fucking northerners on this board want you to think different, don't listen to them.
>>
File: 1428360149406.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1428360149406.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>54995588
American Southerners speak a separate language. It's like Italiano e Sicilianu.
>>
>>54995786
these elvis presley lyrics are typically american informal english. besides, what is "correct english"? the types of dialectal english spoken in england would be barely understandable to you i'd imagine.
>>
>>54995719
Contraction is considered to be in bad style in formal English, so the most correct formulation possible would be:

>You have never caught a rabbit and you are no friend of mine.
>>
>>54995588
It's southern vernacular. The meaning is still understood regardless of the double negatives.
>>
>>54995884
whaaaat! :)
>>54995850
are you serious?
>>54995941
Yes, the meaning was perfectly clear. I was just confused about a proper grammar usage.
>>
>>54995910
>Contraction is considered to be in bad style in formal English

t. slovenian english expert
>>
>>54995884
tell me some diffent words btw southeners and northeners.
The most different, confusing words. :)
I'm curious now.
>>
>>54996001
Then in that case, if you want to be 100% correct in the grammatical sense, the lyric would become this.

"You aren't anything but a hound dog, crying all the time. You have never caught a rabbit and you aren't a friend of mine."
>>
>>54996001
>are you serious?
Look Southerners are the only Americans that developed their own culture in America. Part of having cultures is having your own variant of a language. Northerners were never unable to do that, they've been cucked by immigrants that brought their own culture over.
>>
>>54996035
different *
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiBzcLbqnYE

Can you understand strong English dialects /int/? They start talking about 1:31 into the video. I'll give you a hand and tell you the child is looking for a bird's nest
>>
>>54996063
It's like southeners and northeners in Italy.
I'm a southeners too, BTW and there are shitloads of differences here too. You can't imagine :)
>>
>>54996063

Nice meme

Every part of this country has its own culture and quirks
>>
>>54996035
>Critter
>Doohickey
>Gubmint
>Muh Moonshine
>>
>>54996095
>..., what are you doing?

>Neuth (nothing?)

>....

>....

>....

Is this even english?? o.O
>>
>>54996102
Northerners are the worst. They do nothing but complain. All the SJW's come from there.
>>54996104
There's a reason we tried starting our own country and you lads stayed the united cucks of america.
>>
>>54996021
I've done translation work and I'm eventually getting a degree in your deviant Frisian idiom as well. Just google 'contractions in formal English' ffs.
>>
>>54996178
of course it's fucking english notice they use "tha" instead of "you" it's a form of "thou" which used to be common in english
>>
>>54995588
You've never caught a rabbit and you aren't a friend of mine.

Ain't = aren't, haven't, so it is "correct" to say ain't ever.

He is using double negation on purpose like in the phrase: I'm an independent black woman who don't need no man.
>>
>>54996180

Because you had an economic system that would've died out sooner or later regardless.
>>
>>54996225
But I can't understand almost anything at all (some words are understandable but it's very difficult to me), to be honest. I'm used to listen to another accent (norhener, I guess)
>>
>>54996278
Slavery would of ended eventually in the south, exactly. No reason for the north to slaughter our families over something that was gonna end.
>>
>>54996265
From Wikipedia:
>In some languages, double negatives cancel one another and produce an affirmative; in other languages, doubled negatives intensify the negation.

What are those languages? Examples?
>>
>>54996221
even formal speakers use contractions such as "don't" and "can't" these days. maybe you'd have been right 40 years ago

>>54996293
it's just a very strong accent. i doubt if i learned italian i could understand someone from sicily
>>
File: 1427436654511.jpg (9KB, 222x222px) Image search: [Google]
1427436654511.jpg
9KB, 222x222px
Italoamericano is best American pidgin
>Gabagool
>Fangul
>Strunz
>Ugats
>>
>>54996322
There's a debate starting here, like here in Italy.
In Italy, actually, after the "unification" (which is not, actually) northeners started to take resources from the south and eventually they became better off financially and economically.
>>
>>54996353
>it's just a very strong accent. i doubt if i learned italian i could understand someone from sicily

I can tell you for sure: No, you couldn't understand it! :)
>>
>>54996322

Because you morons shot first and now we are stuck with niggers because you shot the guy that wanted to send them back to Africa
>>
>>54996353
The rule applies to written language only, so you're right there.
>>
>>54996095
Very nice.
>>
>>54996225
Anyway, I didn't mean to offend or hurt you in any way.

I'm curious to listen to a very short version of north vs south story, like a TL;DR from both parties, if you don't mind
>>
>>54996407
The North didn't help us at all they fucked us economically which still has an impact on us today.
>>
>>54996580
That sounds like the situation in Italy.
>>
>>54996353
>>54996436
Btw, are there any dialects of your native languages that you can't fully understand from hearing alone? Because this is the case in Slovene. There are dialects spoken not 60 km from where I'm writing that I can't fully comprehend, though to be fair they are only spoken in minority areas across the border where schooling in Slovene has never been fully implemented.
>>
>>54996617
I'm from the south and I can't understand northern dialects, at all. For example Milan and Turin dialects are very difficult to understand to me.
They sound like french variants.
>>
>>54995756
If I understand correctly, "ain't" was used by all social classes in New England. 'twas long ago. 'tis I tell you.
>>
>>54996679
Are there still areas where nobody uses the standard Italiano and they only speak the regional dialects? forgive my ignorance
>>
ain't ain't a word and I ain't gonna say it
>>
>>54995891
>what is "correct english"?

American English of course
>>
>>54996829
We are talking about accents.
We all speak italian with different accents.

Illiterate or very old people talk only in dialects somewhere, though.
>>
>>54996871
>"ain't" isn't a word and I'm not gonna say it?
Have I cracked the code?
>>
>>54996609
Except that Southern Italy likely had more culture a few centuries ago. Most of the south was pretty repressed as per slave societies.
>>
>>54996968
We still have culture. It's just not valorised.
>>
>>54996021
He's right, at least in regards to writing.
>>54996947
You sure did. My grade school teacher made us repeat this when I was growing up in the south.
>>
>>54996947
Not even close.
When writing for school and work and such I, as well as any other educated person, uses the un-contracted forms of "shouldn't", "won't", "y'all", "we're" "they're" "I've" You've" "we've". The list goes on and on but when we're speaking informally we use the contracted forms because it's faster. That may make it harder for non-natives to understand us when we speak fast because unless you've mastered contractions you may have to pause and think about what they mean and split them up into their root words, which, by the time you'd've done that, we'd've moved on to the next sentence.
>>
>>54996035

The use a lot of otherwise archaic words like varmint instead of vermin, afeared instead of afraid, yonder instead of far away. Something you'll find all over the US is that their language is a lot more informal in normal speech i.e. What you got instead of what do you have, come eat instead of come and eat etc.
>>
>>54997171
I know about that, but here we are not talking formally, I guess.
>>
>>54997182
WRONG
R
O
N
G

Never heard the word Vermit or afeared lmao do you get these memes from the most recent 2000's tv shows that have finally made their way to your island?

>come eat instead of come and eat
More like "come'n eat" and "What'chu got"
We also flap our t's so that CiTy sounds like CiDy, but i Think the entire anglo world does that
>>
>>54995810
Yes.
>>
>>54997390
Wow.
The flap thing is done in the south too, near Naples.
Like:
>"Che è successo?" ("What happened?", informal) would sound like "Ghe è successo"

or

>Hey, Michè (contration of Michele, proper name) would sound like: Hey, Mighè!
>>
>>54997390
>We also flap our t's so that CiTy sounds like CiDy, but i Think the entire anglo world does that

nah we don't. although all new worlders speak fairly standard english. these foriegn english learning faggots wouldn't have a chance at understanding a strong scottish or regional english accent
>>
Song lyrics get a pass.
>>
>>54997390
Would you like to link me another video with southern accent? I wanna see if I can understand it, again. :)
>>
>>54997540
hey, thanks for the "faggot" !
>>
>>54997566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhb-VKXAR8
>>
>>54995910

Yeah, you're right.

>>54996221

>deviant Frisian idiom

Friesland thanks you.
>>
>>54997641
That's totally understandable.
>>
>>54997390

>but i Think the entire anglo world does that

No, I pronounce city as sitty as does everyone in the UK and Australia I've spoken to.

I think the most similar accent to the NZ accent are the New England accents
>>
>>54997566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU
HAVE FUN
Imagine the speed of a northerner with the accent of a southerner
Note: not all southerns talk like this,]
>>
>>54997695
here you go phamiglia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqm5ls8Ep8
Some good ol' boys
>>
>>54997751
This is accurate
t.southernerwithaneutralaccent
>>
>>54997507
He's talking about Ts and Ds. The closest comparison is probably your r sound following a consonant like in "bravo".

And the whole "southern English is a different language" thing is bullshit. The vast majority of southerners are perfectly understandable.
>>
>>54997827
This is reliable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDjhKY8HwM
I like this channel, refer all my foreign friends to them.
>>
>>54997733
Not so clear.
>>54997751
I can understand almost anything.
>>54997827
Oh, yeah. I was doing an example with Cs and Gs. Same concept.
>>
>>54997904
Ai ̮meen, iv ̮I was gon'na ̮type how ̮I was gon'na ̮talk, ay'd look stuupid, whad ̮abou't ̮you?
>>
>>54998095
Hey man, if I was gonna type how I was gonna talk, I'd look stupid. what about you? :D
>yay
>>
>>54998095
me too, BTW. :)
>>
>>54998095
>hey man
what?
I'd vocaroo to show you how much of a linking there are between our words but Idk
>>
>>54996035
Probably "yall" as a second person plural instead of you all/you guys.

That's it basically.
>>
>>54998291
I already knew that word. That's it?
>>
>>54998322
Pretty much. You'll hear stuff like "traffic circle" and "nigger-rig" but "yall" is what you'll hear everyday if you go there that's different than what the rest of the country says.
>>
>>54998438

Nigger-rig and traffic circle are used in Chicago
>>
what the fuck is a nigger rig
>>
When something is made or repaired badly.
>>
>>54998697
meant for >>54998649
>>
Anyway, 'twas it! :)
Thanks, everybody!
>>
>>54997182
I think yonder comes from yon, which is a demonstrative like this or that. This table, that refrigerator, yon building.
>>
>>54997390
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/xytbhk/the-fair-haired-hare
The Fair Haired Hare
about 4:30 Yosemite Sam uses the word "varmint."
>>
>>54997390

You never heard Varmint being used before
>>
>>54996221
Formal speakers use contractions all the time now. However, it is considered improper to use contractions with formal writing.
>>
>>54997390
You've never heard the term "varmint rifle" before?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.