[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>American Education What's the point of Common Core?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: 1455181081202.jpg (56KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455181081202.jpg
56KB, 450x600px
>American Education

What's the point of Common Core? seems like it causes more confusion then it solves.
>>
>>54912455
>seems like it causes more confusion then it solves.
And there's the point of common core.
>>
>>54912455
>it causes more confusion then it solves
This is its purpose.

Now everyone becomes an idiot instead of only the minorities
>>
It's simple. Americans are the richest people on earth. The Jews want us to be bad with money so they fuck up how math is taught.
>>
>>54912455
this is just as stupid as the imperial system to be sincere
>>
>>54912547
careful mexico, you are going to make me want to start using it if you begin pointing out how its different from the rest of the world.

I really dont want to feel that way about this abomination, but if you start insulting my all american maths im going to have to not only learn it, but become so proficient at it that i go to mars or something with it to spite you.
>>
>>54912455
>Common core
What's that?
>>
File: PTF7XHG.jpg (55KB, 878x814px) Image search: [Google]
PTF7XHG.jpg
55KB, 878x814px
>>54912571
>nasa uses metric

hang urself to be fully honest
>>
>>54912571
>maths
>s
Nice proxy, Ladsworth Chipsandfishington.
>>
>>54912598
bill gates thought he could design a new nation-wide education standard, because you know, he dropped out of university.

But hes rich so he must be right, right?
>>
>>54912667
So is it bad?
>>
>>54912700
yeah. confusing as fuck at most
>>
>>54912769
For examlple.
>>
>>54912455
The intention is that by teaching the same thing in different, more complex ways, they'll understand not just how, but why. Needless to say, it didn't work as intended, and even though it was fairly obvious from the start, it took about two years of standardized testing scores being the lowest they've ever been for the politicians in charge to admit they're wrong. (Well, just talk about how much of a travesty it is and saying they're going to get rid of it, while ignoring the fact that they fully supported it, and pushed it's way through)
>>
>>54912807
The idea behind it isn't awful (besides the curriculum being the same across the country, no way am I letting some hick from Bumfuck, Arkansas dumb down my kids education) but the rollout was so shitty. The moment the Common Core was released, every single state said they were going to implement it within two years. There were no studies. Schools weren't allowed to develop their own CC curriculums (i.e. non retarded ones) because if they didn't create one within six months (literally everything down to the individual homework assignments for the entire year had to be approved by the state) they would have to use the standard one, otherwise they'd get almost all un-necessary (i.e. arts, sports) funding revoked. As a result, we had a curriculum, down to the exact lesson plans, implemented across the country written by Bill Gates, and politicians who have no experience doing anything but politician things. Luckily, some states caught on rather quickly how fucked this was, and reversed their decision within a matter of months, but others, like the one I lived in, just refused to admit defeat. Once controversy started arising, the state set up a commission, and they were to travel around the state, and set town hall meetings, and I went to one, thinking surely if we make our voices known, they'll do something. Nope. Hundreds of people there, not a single one had anything positive to say, and the committee never said anything more than 'I'm right and you're wrong'. Didn't even try to dodge questions, just downright didn't answer them. Of course, in the American way, the leader of that commission who left after the results were catastrophic (like we tried to warn them about), now is one of the people who writes education policy for the federal government.
>>
>>54912455
what's the deal with this shit and how is it different from normal education ?.

also
>pic
so instead of writing the answer you write a whole bunch of bullshit and then the answer after it ?. whats the difference ?
>>
File: 1455186864446.jpg (3MB, 7000x7000px) Image search: [Google]
1455186864446.jpg
3MB, 7000x7000px
>>54912455

>Americans KHANnot create a competent education system
>>
>>54912455
I am engineer and I don't understand that
>>
>>54913580
>pic

32-12

The normal way is to subtract 12 from 32, or if you arent keen enough for that, subtract 2 from 2 then 10 from 30

The 'new' way is to take the number you are subtracting from, and start adding to it.

First you add a number to it to make it divisible by 5, then you add additional 5s to it untill you cant anymore, then you add whatever else you need to make the number you are subtracting from

THEN you add all the 5s and the two other numbers you added to the number you are subtrating togeather, to get the answer

I guess the idea is its easier to count by 5s?

I dont even know. I have no idea how this is considered faster or more convinient by anybody because you are having to store all these numbers in your head when doing it the normal way, even mentally visualizing the long way of doing it on paper, is still less complicated than this new way.
>>
>>54912611
>metric meme
metric is shit m8 . people only use it because its already popular and established and other things like imperial is practically impossible to use (weird jumps in length units , 12 to 1 , 3 to 1 , 22 to 1 )

the fact that everything isnt measured exclusively in natural units is a fucking disgrace and an insult to all human scientific achievements .
>>
>>54913712
>take the number you are subtracting*

see, its so fucking complicated i cant even describe it with out messing up.
>>
File: sfsef.png (177KB, 195x404px) Image search: [Google]
sfsef.png
177KB, 195x404px
>>54913762
nah m8

metric is based, metric is based in natural units anyway
>>
>>54913712
this seems like a good idea to do a couple of these to introduce kids to subtraction . sure it looks weird to someone doing ODEs but its a nice way for a kid to grasp what subtraction of multi-digit numbers is for the first time .
>>
>>54913712
What sick person created that?
>>
File: 1449673855050.jpg (120KB, 355x781px) Image search: [Google]
1449673855050.jpg
120KB, 355x781px
>>54913878

> merchants approve this mesage

Now you know there's nothing behind it to gain for an anonymous party
>>
>>54913762
>weird jumps in length units

The problem with the conversion argument ive always had is.. i have never once needed to convert one imperial unit to another, except for inches and feet, and ounces and galons.

Everything else i can think of always stays within its own preffered unit.

Altitude for example, 30 000 feet is 30 000 feet, not 10 000 yards, nobody would say that.

Imperial is a collection of units that are customized for the things they are meant to measure. They have been slightly tweaked over the years so they can be divisible by each other, for convenience, but are more or less a bunch of stand-alone units, not just steps in an overall system.

The problem with metric is its arbitrary. Its based on arbitrary things, and easy conversion is not really a 'benefit', its a necessity since the basic units are so obtuse in their natural state. This is the reason i think metricfags always use 'muh conversion' as an argument, they were raised with a system where you have to convert, and so think one where conversion is kind of screwy is a bad idea.
>>
File: gSSVH1J.gif (12KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
gSSVH1J.gif
12KB, 501x504px
>>54913878
merchant approved education to make goys dumber
>>
>>54913972
Ill also add, that even if you were going to come up with a system that could be converted easily, base 10 is a really sub optimal thing to build it around

It would be far better to use base 12

So metric is basically the length from pole to pole, through paris, and a sub optimal counting system, combined to create something that is somehow praised by fedoras everywhere near as i can tell simply because its 'not how the US does it and obviously better'.

and SI uses minutes and hours as their measure of time, while simultaneously saying such systems that are structured around non uniform conversions are bad as justification for its very existence.
>>
>>54912455
Looking at this, all I see is one faggot who just writes the answer and another who actually shows his work. Note how 2+3+5+10=20, that's how he derives his answer.
>>
>>54913972
are you trying to say imperial units are not arbitrary ?
>>
>>54913807
obviously , then it wouldn't be called a measurement system . its just that the original definitions that the new ones are based on are arbitrary bullshit .

>The metre was originally defined to be one ten millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator through Paris.

>basing your whole unit on some length on the surface of one planet that changes all the time and isnt practically measurable .

> considered defining the metre as the length of a pendulum that has a period of one second at 45°N and an altitude equal to sea level.

>unit is dependent on gravity of a planet that changes all the time

even these days they use fucking retarded definitions .
>meter = distance light travels in 1/299 792 458 of a second. is based on the definition of :
>second = 9,192,631,770 ± 20 cycles of some cesium frequency .

all that fucking inaccuracy , shit fucking system.
>>
question for american(or the others)

a +(4/a) ≧ 4 "a" is positive constant
prove it
>>
>>54914288
prove「a +(4/a) ≧ 4」
with a condition that "a" is positive constant

more understandable version
>>
>>54912455
Is this real?
>>
>>54914181
Correct.

Imperial units come from centuries of real world application, each unit was created for a purpose, and is optimal for its purpose, because there was no greater system to try and fit them into when they were made, they didn't care about how it converted, and in some cases the other units in the imperial system would not have even been known or used by the people using the individual units.

An acre, for example, is roughly enough land to grow food on for 3 people using traditional farming techniques.

Thats useful, practical.

>foot based on a foot
No, not really. That may be where the name of the unit comes from, but no foot in existence today is based on anyones foot, the units have been modified and changed over time, and varied from place to place.

The resulting system has managed to maintain its unit-specific functionalities while also nudge most of its units just enough to fit into each other in cleanly divisible ways, not for the purpose of frequent conversion, but just on case you need to re purpose something. I could break a yard stick into 3 even parts and have a foot, if the need arose.
>>
>>54914148
i didnt say metric was good , its shit but its sometimes usable .

in my opinion we should base all our units on the spin-flip transition pf hydrogen which can be used as a length unit and a time unit , and as for counting use base 2 exclusively because its the most natural base unit.

basically all numbers and units should be universal and natural because anything else it silly and arbitrary .the same reasoning they used these numbers\units on the voyager plaque . if we and another species use these we can literally start communicating with each other almost instantly upon contact.
>>
>>54914288
a^2 +4 -4a ≧ 0
intersection
a(4 +- (16 -4(1)(4))^(0.5))/2
a'=2

second derivative =2

therefor its a non-negative parabola that equals 0 at exactly one point .
>>
>>54914232
>all that fucking inaccuracy , shit fucking system.

m8 no

the whole point is that anyone can figure out the defintion of a metre

you dont need to do some particle testing to determine it, just some math
>>
How does the new method work?
I don't understand
>>
>>54912455
Are you telling me you don't think like that when you're subtracting two numbers on your head?
>>
It makes understanding math easier when learning it the first time. Retards just can't comprehend it.
>>
>>54914487
>enough land to grow food on for 3 people using traditional farming techniques.
what about climate , what about soil compositions , what about variation of plant species , what about variation of received sunlight , what about variation of efficiency of farming techniques . what about quantum tunneling probability of of particles the atoms of plants are made of .

i could literally grow food for more then 3 people in my room and with 20k years ago tech and modern scooter-americans it would take land the size of small nations to get enough food for 3 people .

seriously your units make no fucking sense as actual measurement units .
>>
>>54914641
i guess you are correct...?
according to my reference book,
"a>0,b>0, ab≧2√(ab)" is supposed to be used

anyway,conglatulation,jew!
>>
>>54914687
>you dont need to do some particle testing to determine it
but you literally do as its defined as distance light travels per cesium cycles .

>just some math
math wont help you with physical quantities . you need some quantity as your unit base so you can derive everything else from it.
>>
>>54914820
>roughly
Its an average for farm sizes, including things like livestock, not just pure land to plant crops.

Of course its original purpose is no longer applicable in most situations today, but its also a unit thats not that commonly used today.

Its there though, if we need it, after you samson option the world back to the iorn age technology :^)
>>
>>54913712
>>54913878
>teach kids to subtract
>by telling them to add
The fuck.
The little nigglet ain't going to understand shit if you don't explain him the basics. Subtraction is taking away shit, not adding shit, for fucks sake.

>>54913972
>I don't convert one imperial unit into other
>except when I do
>>54914487
>imperial units are not arbitrary
>except when they are
>>
>>54914827
its a silly question tho , a doesn't have to be a positive constant i can be any real number and the inequality will hold .

also isnt this kindergarten-level mathematics in japan ?. the only japs i know IRL give me the impression that you do nonliniar differential equations in second grade .

>>54915036
>teach kids to subtract
>by telling them to add
except this works better for mathematical understanding . if you define the subtraction function with shit you already know instead of making new shit up .
>>
>>54914641
what happened there
Why not just
a^2 - 4a + 4 >=0
(a - 2)^2 >= 0
which we know is true since any real number squared is equal to or greater than zero.

what do you think jap >>54914827
>>
>>54912455
Parent of two (7 and 16 ) here.

before the kids or I learnt the "oldfashioned" way, we learned something called "ten-er overflow".

Is commoncore a "reverse five-er overflow" ?

It's meant for 1st graders right? Just a bit complex.
>>
>>54913712
>r if you arent keen enough for that, subtract 2 from 2 then 10 from 30
That's how my daughter learnt it in the 1st grade. "ten-er overflow"
Why should you change anything about it?
>>
>>54912455
The dumbing down of America https://archive.is/vxC8F
>>
>>54913972
>Imperial is a collection of units that are customized for the things they are meant to measure.

For Example if you want to measure 3 well rounded and dried(!) seeds of barley, lined up lengthwhise, you would easily say well there should be a unit that fits in easily. Let's call it an inch.
So the whole state could measure 3 seeds of barley well dried and rounded lengthwise all day.
What a usefull unit!
>>
>>54912455
Y'all need Norm Wildberger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91c5Ti6Ddio&index=9&list=PL5A714C94D40392AB
>>
>>54915125
(-2)+4/(-2)=-4>=4?

If a is negative you need to reverse the inequality when you multiply by a.

You get (a-2)^2<=0 which only holds for a=2, which is not negative.
>>
>>54912455
Holy shit! Is it real?
>>
>>54913972
>The problem with the conversion argument ive always had is.. i have never once needed to convert one imperial unit to another, except for inches and feet, and ounces and galons.

That's because you have a shitty job that doesn't require you to measure anything other than what you can count with your fingers.
>>
>>54914512
Base 2 becomes very unwieldy at larger numbers.
>>
>>54913712
I feel like they're trying to formalise the mental tricks children learn to do addition and subtraction.

Like if they're not inbred fucking morons they should figure out a way to do this themselves.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 512x202px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 512x202px
>>54914377
Jap integrate prove ur Asian.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.