[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for all non-anglo English speakers on this board. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

Question for all non-anglo English speakers on this board.

How did you find the time to learn English?
I had my first class of Spanish when I was 11 and now I'm 19 and I can only speak conversational Spanish.

Even though I started learning at 11 my learning was confined to homework and class.

Then once I hit around 18 during the summer I started taking it extremely seriously, studying hours every day -tenses, verbs, accents - and my skills definitely improved. However, then I have to go back to Uni and my free time becomes much more sacrosanct - so much so that I didn't want to spend what limited time I had learning Spanish.

So how did you find the time to learn English and do you think it's harder to become fluent in a language if you aren't a teenager? - (because from my experience on /int/ it seems like a lot of you learnt it at a reasonably young age).
>>
>>53934894
The younger you are, the easier languages are to learn. All the connections in the brain which facilitate learning are reduced in number as you get older (which is why toddlers pick up skills so fast).
>>
>>53934894
everything is in english it comes naturally
most of my knowledge of english comes from the movies and videogames.
so yeah we're bombarded by english since we're born,i sometimes think in english its scary
>>
>How did you find the time to learn English?
We study it in school. In my school we begin to study it when 6yo.
>>
Cartoons, kindergarten, and English from the 1st grade.
>>
I didn't actively learn English.

Just watching tv, playing video games and chatting online taught me what I needed to know.
I did have English in school for around 7 years starting at 10 years. But it was more of a finishing touch.
>>
>>53935130
*starting at the age of 10
>>
>>53934894
I started learning english since I was 6 (I think), in school. I didn't pay attention to it all that much, so I wasn't very good at it (still aren't).

But, since most of the media I consume is in english (music, movies, tv series, the fucking internet, video games, books for my career, etc.), I learned it pretty much against my will.
>>
At school we start learning English since we are like 5.
>>
>>53935208
This pretty much proves starting younger doesn't mean shit. Immersion is where it's at.
>>
>>53934894
i actually never learned it

english is the retarded language that any moron can learn by the way.
>>
We have English in school from 5 to 11 grade. Than 5 years in university. I had got my first PC and internet around 1998-99 and most of games and other content was in English.
>>
>>53935348
so it's just easy?
by chance?
>>
I've spoken English since birth. NZ Maori/English mother. I also speak Swedish, French, German and Dutch.
>>
>>53935421
Spanish is easier.

Moon runes > French > German > Dutch > English > Spanish
>>
>>53935421
i mean i never had in mind to actually start and learn it, it came in my head by the way. like a Virus you get when you want to download something kinky.

i prefer american over british, british is much harder to understand.

yes it is easy, but it doesnt mean i am good at.
>>
>>53934894
TV
>>
>>53935556
Waar zijn de bewijzen? ;DDD
>>
>>53935563
yes i was learning spanish, it is good language waaay better then French.
>>
>>53934894
most of people in my country can't speak English properly.
I had a very good teacher during my highschool years she forced us to speak in english only I add that I've always liked to surf the "English" internet, a thing that not many here do, and of course vidya and films played an important role.
>>
>>53934894
Google translate
>>
>>53935373
most games are translated in german or russian, i remember when i got russian games on bazar all of them wer in russian, you lie.
>>
>>53935556
>NZ Maori/English mother+mongol
I can't even imagine what a fucking aberration you must be.
>>
>>53935783
I remember I once bought Fallout in Germany when I was 10 or something.

breddy hard game ;D
>>
File: 1426606881662.png (21KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1426606881662.png
21KB, 900x900px
>>53935738
>>
>>53935556
post tits
>>
>>53935857
Everything was in German.
>>
>>53935860
It's a really easy language
an easy, international language, pretty much everything Esperanto wanted to be
>>
>>53935860
you have to know that english isnt original language, but more a mixture of many languages, like german, spanish, greek, latin, turkish, etc,

i think this is why People learn it, simply because it is international.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ731aR_SBY
>>
>>53935957
I thought people just learnt it because it was America's language and America has sitcoms, hollywood, books, music and is basically the centre of the universe.

I never thought of English as "the easy one", although I am glad we don't have genders for words.
>>
>>53935563
it's funny you say this, every Dutch person I heard speaking Spanish sucks at it, like Cruyff. Maybe you guys think you are good at it, but...
>>
>>53936027
america is only 200 years old m8, english is way older.

also Mandarine and spanish are the most spoken languages, english is easy. haz nofin to do with american dominance, btw america was created by europians which resisted british empire.(except canadians)

english is communist
>>
>>53936027
as Hans put it>>53936006
Because it's international
>>
>>53934894
English just comes naturally to most people because they're constantly exposed to it from a young age. We pretty much learn it through necessity.

If all the movies you watched, all the games you played, all the books you read and all the websites you frequented were in a foreign language, you would obviously learn that language.
>>
>>53936221
I know about the formation of America Emre.
But with globalisation and bilingualism being more common it's safe to assume that America was a great influence in English being so well spoken.
>>
>>53935957
English is not exactly that easy, it's a weird language in several respects. For one thing it's very difficult to identify if a word is a noun, verb, adjective, whatever. For another word order is extremely important and kind of vague. There are also way too many influences in terms of vocabulary.

In general it's a language with basically no hard grammar rules, but so many exceptions that the rules aren't even really rules. The writing system is also completely absurd.
>>
>>53936151
Cruyff sucks at all languages, even Dutch. His language even has it's own name.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruijffiaans
>>
>>53936308
>>53936222
lol a jew calls you hans and britbong calls you emre, nobody knows that iam Ivan.
>>
>>53936351
I think Dutch football coaches have a cursed tongue.

Now we have Louis van Gaal at Manchester inventing new English.
>>
>>53936350
learn hebrew and then talk.
>>
>>53936425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA2KZ6NZzxs
>>
>>53936420
>nobody knows that iam Ivan
No, I had more respect for you than that.
>>
>>53936351
Now that you said so, Van Laal also sucked. Can't remember how Kluivert or Rijkaard spoke, tho
>>
>>53936464
If my native language were Arabic, Hebrew would be way easier to learn than English.
>>
>>53936425
>football coaches have a cursed tongue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ABhGlMrLgk
>>
>>53936514
He has been improving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li4QmVZRT5o
>>
File: penic.png (71KB, 870x870px) Image search: [Google]
penic.png
71KB, 870x870px
>>53934894
Quite a funny story

>leave highscholl and barely able to say "hello my name is ____"
>discover video game
>discover online video game and fps
>somehow become good enough on a fps game to play in the premiership league (ESL and other leagues) amongst top 10 euro team
>pcw are full banter
>we're getting trash talked because we're french
>i cant say anything because "muh cant speak britnbong"
>motivation fueled with the strenght of a thousand stars
>start reading child and teenagers book, read newspaper, watching movies with french subtitles
>find paypals
>Take my bagback and go alone in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland to force myself to talk to strangers
>shitpost on 4chan and lurk as fuck to learn dem slangs and meems
>finally be able to say fuck off to the cunt who were flaming me in the games

And then it allowed me to join a multi-lingual company because I'm able to work fluently in english and most of my countrymen are fucking trash when it comes to speak english.
also girls say I have cute french accent
>>
File: trapattoni.jpg (159KB, 2197x1458px) Image search: [Google]
trapattoni.jpg
159KB, 2197x1458px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cgLqfdAgK4&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61znshCMrg0&spfreload=10
>>
>>53935373
Did they teach english in commie times?

When I went to school it was only english but now they often teach something else too. The ones I have heard of now are:

>Mandarin
>Indonesian
>German

Good thread op.
>>
>>53937334
>Indonesia
t-that's not a positive thing.
>>
>>53936308
Educated people already spoke English in dozens of ex-colonial, non-Anglo countries. USA sealed the deal, along with Canada and Australia to a lesser extent.
>>
i learned by myself just by using internet and playing video games
>>
>>53937334
>Did they teach english in commie times?
lol very rarely
>>
>>53937817
Wouldn't have thought so but seeing as that guy was talking about 1989....
>>
>>53937921
He didn't mention when he was born tho.
>>
>>53934894
In danish schools you have to start learning english form the 3'rd grade and Unless you choose some shit-tier type of education, you have english lessons as far as 11'th grade. Besides that we only use subtitles on TV, in movies, in videogames etc.
Generally It's not possible to function without knowing english. An example: Here I am today, a chemistry student at a danish university and I only got some notes from one of my professors and a small 100-something page book, that is in danish. The rest of my books are in english.
>>
>>53936535
Rijkaard was high all the time
>>
>>53938167
Dutch people in general tend to talk fairly slow.
>>
Began at 14 I believe, still making some mistakes here and there. But thanks to games, movies, series, and the internet as a whole, english was a must-have for anyone deep in the internet.

Don't worry OP, it will come. Regular (I mean regular!) practice, study a lot of vocabulary and practice your grammar anytime you feel like something's unclear and don't hesitate when talking to someone, you'll make a lot of mistakes but that'll help you.
BTW You don't really need a teacher, go at your own pace. Just try to be regular about learning. And be curious.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.