[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHAT on earth is Canadian culture? What differentiates Canadians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

File: Canada_120718_1425x283.jpg (22KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
Canada_120718_1425x283.jpg
22KB, 425x283px
WHAT on earth is Canadian culture?
What differentiates Canadians from Americans the most?
>>
I don't know
>>
>>53927805
Yank+British=Canadian
That's literally it
>>
>What differentiates Canadians from Americans the most?
They're turbocucks and we're passive aggressive betas.
>>
It's pretty much the same thing.

We have more land per citizen though.
>>
File: Fuck all of this.webm (329KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck all of this.webm
329KB, 500x276px
>>53927945
You don't know me, Nigel.
>>
>>53927805
I would say politeness.
IRL of course, online we're passive aggressive kek-meisters.
Also less population equates to a more mellow social climate.
>>
>>53927805
We attempt counter-american culture, but fail at it. I moved from Texas to Alberta and there was almost zero difference outside of the climate. Quebec is probably the most """cultured""" province, but they've been resisting Canadian as well as American culture for years. The maritime provinces have a bit of a different culture too, but less of a degree.
>>
>>53927805
>What differentiates Canadians from Americans the most?

One is completely independent from the brits.
>>
putting a fucking leaf on their flag is their culture.
>>
>>53927945
this
>>
>>53927805
The only difference is they don't have any justifiable reason to be arrogant.
>>
>>53928151
Nice circle
>>
Why do most Canadians speak like Americans? You have your own accent, use it.
>>
>>53928151
t. minimalistic leaf
>>
File: 1440957757281.jpg (623KB, 1600x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1440957757281.jpg
623KB, 1600x1224px
>implying you want a non-meme answer

alri
imo the major Canadian attributes are Protectionism, Survival, and Obligation. all 3 play into one another as well and the primary one is Survival.

in A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature, Atwood talked about themes in American and British works, mainly being the idea of the "island" for the UK and the idea of the "frontier" in the US.

in Canada we have a similar idea, more individualist and inwardly focused than the others, that being survival.

A lot of Canadian works especially early ones have dealt with survival (usually against nature or some powerful force) and even modern ones have expanded these themes beyond merely man vs the elements.
even books that are not about canada by minority authors who are from here have these same themes, A Fine Balance is one I can think of about a boy/man's life in the Early Indian republic.

As a nation we have a strong sense of being both the victim (in a figurative and literal sense), as well as a desire to protect those we feel who are also victims, but as well a strong degree of protectionism and distaste towards things we feel threaten us, whether it be the USA or Muslims or the english/french. This also describes our very bipolar attitude towards immigrants.

Atwood outlines the basic ideas as being in one of four possible positions:

Position One: To deny the fact that you are a victim

Position Two: To acknowledge the fact that you are a victim (but attribute it to a powerful force beyond human control, i.e. fate, history, God, biology, etc.)

Position Three: To acknowledge the fact that you are a victim but to refuse to accept the assumption that the role is inevitable

Position Four: To be a creative non-victim
A position for "ex-victims" when creativity of all kinds is fully possible.

I think if Canadians actively look for these themes they will begin to notice them all over.

TL;DR
Canada is New Scotland
USA is New England
>>
>>53928151
ouch man
I thought Japanese and Canadians were fond of one-another?
I would always back you guys up in a Korea-Japan shit-posting war
>>
>>53928052
>moved from Texas to Alberta
>we
Let me guess, Austin?
>>
>>53928116
British parliament has no direct control over anything in Canada, we simply share a Queen, but even then she does almost nothing involving our governance. The monarchy in Canada is represent in federal and provincial levels through appointed representatives of the Queen. The USA has more influence in our borders desu.
>>
>>53928044
>I would say politeness.
So a a stereotype/meme is what differentiates americans and canadians?
That's like saying canadians are different because they're not fat
>>
>>53928211
But...that is their accent.
>>
Our culture is about nature, hard work, and survival. It's why we have symbols like the beaver, the lumberjack, and a fucking leaf (maple sap production is heavily dependent on not being too cold or too warm).

Here in the Maritimes most of our culture is focused on the ocean. Sea shanties, seafood, sailing, etc.

>>53928234
This guy beat me to it.
>>
>>53928270
Arlington, but I moved here when I was rather young so I never really picked up many local quirks.
>>
>>53928291
He's an underage mong who still hasn't begun to question the propaganda we are fed in our schools. Southerners can be as polite (if not more) than the stereotypical Canadian.
>>
>>53928358
Well that's fine. I thought you were one of those manchildren who fled to Canada to avoid Nam or Iraq 2.0.
>>
>>53927805
The funny accent. Those goofy canucks never cease to make me laugh when they speak.
>>
>>53928269
The Japanese are duplicitous; one should never trust them with anything.
>>
>>53928291
>stereotype
it may be a stereotype but it's also true.
I've spent a fair amount of time hitch-hiking through America and Canada, and I've found strangers in America to be more on guard and less polite in General than Canadian strangers.
Ex. I was at a gas station in America and I didn't know where the nearest on-ramp was to the highway headed south.
So I walked up to an older gentleman, I said 'Excuse me sir.'
He ignored me and turned his back to me and started walking away.
But I needed an answer, so I just blurted out my question before he engaged me.
He answered my question, but he gave me false information.
That was another commonality in America, almost everyone I met gave me the wrong directions.
>>
>>53928465
I've only been to Canada a couple times, but the impression I get is that you guys are polite but more withdrawn, while Southerners are more outwardly friendly while still being polite.
>>
>>53928234
i do want a non meme answer however i didn't expect anyone to write an entire essay
>>
>>53928561
Is hitchhiking still legal in Canada? It's been banned on federal interstates here as far as I know.
>>
>>53928465
I think that you're thinking about yourself there.
Taking an opposite stance to propaganda is no better than drinking up the propaganda in the first place.
Make your own experiences, act as a good man and come to your own conclusions in life.
>>
Canada's culture is basically American but trying to differentiate its self from America like using British spellings that creates a weird mix
>>
>>53928569
what does that mean "outwardly firendly"?

i mean we wont invite you to our houses or buy you things but you are welcome to sit with us at a bar and we'll toss ya a smoke
>>
>>53928545
>UK says
>>
>>53928729
Thread's over, guys.
>>
>>53928662
For the most part it is legal. You cannot hitch-hike in Calgary or on the trans-canada highway. In America, most states allow you to hitchhike, but as you said not on the federal interstates, only on on-ramps.
But even then, there are states where it is completely illegal, like Utah.
Even in Montana a police officer told me it was illegal to hitchhike there. Other strangers told me it was, but who knows, I'm not going to argue with a police officer in America when I'm ignorant to the matter.
>>
>>53928234

>unironically referencing memewood

holy fuck I hate leftists
>>
File: Solid_white.svg.png (16KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Solid_white.svg.png
16KB, 2000x2000px
Canadian culture
>>
>>53928732
They strike up conversations at random, if they're like grilling outside they'll give you some, if you're broken down on the shoulder they'll automatically stop to help, they are the kinds of Americans who make the idle small-talk that Yuros hate. Basically they are more willing to engage than Canadians. Again, I could be totally wrong desu.
>>
File: Solid_white.svg.png (12KB, 1728x1384px) Image search: [Google]
Solid_white.svg.png
12KB, 1728x1384px
>>53928865
Canadian history
>>
>>53928211
You can't just use an accent, fuck you

It's not a tool you can switch between
>>
>>53928865
>>53928906
>this flag
>these posts
ebin
>>
>>53928909
>he can't speak in different dialects of 'his' language
>>
>>53929163
But people who speak different dialect is annoying for me.
>>
Canadian culture is pretty much about being no american and stealing Quebec inventions and calling them Canadian.

Poutine? Quebec
Hockey? Montreal, Quebec
Lumberjack and fur shit? New France
Beavers? Symbol of fur trade, New France
Maple Syrup? Quebec produces 70% of the world's supply

At least nanaimo bars are good.
>>
DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>53929274
CHAU NEN
>>
>>53929274
You speak in some kind of dialect too
Or do you use formal language/speak like you write?
>>
>>53928692
It's not simply contrarianism, f@m. Our curriculum is rife with such obviously false notions, another example being the mosaic vs. melting pot dichotomy which was framed with subtle undertones of "look at those savage Americans and their Borg-like insistence on assimilation". That always gave me a good laff as I could see just how lovely that "mosaic" is as an immigrant kid in an immigrant ghetto.
>>
>>53929163
I can't speak like a Brit, Aussie or Kiwi

It's difficult because it's going against what you know and are used to

Part of it is we speak a real language that many countries speak
>>
File: send help north.jpg (289KB, 1536x1121px) Image search: [Google]
send help north.jpg
289KB, 1536x1121px
>>53929309
>>
>>53928858
she was right in that regard
the particular political bent comes from the interpretation of it.
>>
>>53929403
I bet we have just as many dialects as 'your' language
>>
>>53929563
Maybe but they aren't as different and vary as much of English dialects
>>
>>53929563
I bet you're completely wrong.
>>
File: 4Fe2LEq.jpg (70KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
4Fe2LEq.jpg
70KB, 570x570px
Canadian culture from my perspective:
>shy and reserved, we're friendly but we wont strike up a conversation with you on the bus
>the national sport is self-depreciation
>anglos and french have a distaste for one another
>apathetic about canadian politics for the most part, american politics is more entertaining
>desperately wants to differentiate themselves from americans
>proud of being a "cultural mixing pot", although minorities are very much separated into their own communities, we're too scared to ask them to try to fit in
>>
>>53929619
I bet you think "German English" is dialect or sth
>>53929613
t. Don't know shit about Finnish
>>
Only difference is that Canadians can into hockey
>>
>>53929683
Mate, English spreads through continents

It will have lots of variability
>>
Why don't canadians just accept that they are culturally American? Literally every other post here defines Canadian culture as "trying to be different from American"
>>
>>53929847
Mate, I don't use any dialect although I speak English
There isn't Finnish English dialect
Your spreading doesn't mean shit
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
>>53929946
Why don't Americans accept that most of their culture is made by Canadians?
>>
>>53929375
I wrote my post wrong.
I am annoyed when I find someone tries to speak in a dialect which is my dialect.
His fake dialect has a lot of mistakes, so it annoys me.
>>
>>53928116
Canada is completely independent from us, the personal union is seperate
>>
>>53930031
Drake got his style from Houston lad.
>>
>>53930031
We didn't do shit. America doesn't have a culture. It's just a big melting pot of everyone else's.
>>
>>53929384
I don't recall ever being presented with those topics in school.
Albeit I only spent 1 semester in university before dropping out because of how illogical and narrow minded the teachers were.
What subjects were you taking where the teachers bothered to compare Canada with the United States?
For myself I had certain prejudices towards the united states, not from what teachers told me, but more-so from television and older people I looked up to.
I entered America with an open mind--and I will admit that I have not explored all of America--but what I was faced with there was a lot of contempt for what I was doing.
I've never experienced that sort of contempt in Canada, but again, I can't say I've explored all of Canada. Most of my experiences are from BC.
>>
>>53930040
We have two dialects in our country. I know where you are coming from.
>>
>>53930166
>America doesn't have a culture
[citation needed]
>>
What's the difference between Germany and Austria, Austrians are literally Germans in denial.

Canadians are Americans who left and stood loyal to the queen

What's the difference between New Zealand and Australia too?
>>
>>53930166
>It's just a big melting pot of everyone else's.

Not anymore. The amount of "immigrants" that don't assimilate is so large now that we're more multicultural.
>>
Literally system of government, that's it.

Now fuck off
>>
>>53930329
There isn't a big enough difference between Austria and Germany to warrant separate nations, it was done for political reasons.

New Zealand has a larger pacific islander population than Australia
>>
>>53930208
>What subjects were you taking where the teachers bothered to compare Canada with the United States?
Social studies in 5th grade (Toronto). The class wasn't a comparison of the countries and I don't recall seeing any anti-Americanism in other cases but that example stands out even today because I thought quite a bit about cultural identity growing up (as almost all immigrants have throughout childhood).
>>
>>53927805
Tim Hortons
Hockey
Even poorer Natives
???

Oh, and Quebec

That's about it
>>
If you think about it, their flags says it all. USA is all about the stars, thats what they aim for. While Canadians doesn't aim further than leaves on a tree.
>>
>>53930456
yeah maoris are indigenous to NZ and australia has abbos

also the geography and biosphere is wildy different between the two
>>
>>53927805
Canada has no national cultural differences from the USA

However, North America is made up of regional cultural differences, just not national ones

There are differences in culture between the Maritimes, quebec, praries/midwest, cascadia, southern California, deep south, Appalachia, south Florida etc.
>>
>>53930583
Then, what do you aim for?
We aim for RISING SUN.
>>
>>53930583
t. a fucking sun set
>>
>>53930806
they aim for coloring the sea red with dead seals and whales

you should get along
>>
Canada sucks.
>>
>>53931236
fuck off Belaruse
>>
>>53928211
There is no Canadian or American accent, both countries have accents in regions. Canada has Newfie, Maritime (bit different, like our state), Francophone, and the general "Canadian" accent, but that accent also leaks across the border of the northern middle USA, I've heard it called the Northern-Continental accent instead

Although I vastly prefer Canada over the US for moral reasons and being a reactionary monarchist, some of the posters here are really SJW and there are an unfortunate lot of brown diaspora
>>
>>53931236
post tail
>>
File: 8912365461685.jpg (42KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
8912365461685.jpg
42KB, 480x640px
>>53931360
>reactionary monarchist
>>
File: fuckoff.jpg (6KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
fuckoff.jpg
6KB, 250x375px
>>53931294
>>53931382
Here you are.
>>
>>53930806
We aim for the rising sun and icebergs
>>
>>53927945
That math is wrong

British + French + ??? = Canadian
>>
>>53930166
>America doesn't have a culture.

/int/ trying to grasp the definition of culture is like evangelical creationists trying to understand evolution

The real, academic, non-meme definition of culture is simply human behaviors and the various ways they're expressed. You can't "not have" a culture as that would mean being unable to emote, interact, form societies or what not. /int/ also tends to think culture is "that which is exotic or different to me", or that it has to be discretely owned by a single state, if its shared across populations its invalid

/int/ treats it like some sort of weighted commodity, like "Serbia has 500kg of culture, Bosnia has 250kg", somehow quantitatively rationalizing human behavior as a pile of stuff owned by a country. The worst is when they say memes like "that village has 'more culture' than your entire country!" (in what, gross tonnage?) then proceed to name 2-3 cultural items from it after having to google search. Also the equally retarded black and white statement of "having no history" which implies somewhere in the world spacetime only begun a picosecond ago

I think a lack of education and the obsessive, hyper-competitive focus on countries and states here is the psychological reason for this meme. For the sake of competitive vicarious role-playing /int/ers apply the oddest properties and attributes to their chosen and rival states
>>
>>53931639
B
>>
>>53928211
Learn to speak proper English and it won't be a problem.
>>
>>53932013
Hi Ivan, ship me a Russian girlfriend.
>>
A deep seated hatred for other provinces which transcends any other division within a first world country.

One or two bad decades and the whole country will tear apart. The only reason we're together is because we're too polite to leave each other.
>>
>>53927805
>>53927805
>Ontario
shares about 90% of their culture with the US Great Lakes Region, the other 10% would be farmland Ontario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KLSbCtinXs&t=12
>Manitoba/Saskatchewan
Manitoba's similar to Farmland Ontario, with more farms and extremely boring
Saskatchewan's similar but with more shitty natives
>BC
Shares the "cascadian" culture with Oregon and Washington, pretty laid back people IMO.
>The Northern Territories
completely barren, Yukon is very similar to Alaska, and Nunavut and NW are bth complete shitholes that somehow have the highest homicide rate in Canada (see: natives)
>Quebec
French culture for the most part, coastal French towns share a similar culture to Atlantic Canadians
>Maritimes
This is where Canadian culture starts, with no real immigration since the potato famine, this area is about 94% white and over 90% christian. New Brunswick still shares French Canadian culture. A little bit of old Irish and English slang.
Mostly nice people.
>Newfoundland
Extremely English, Cornish and Irish. Very old part of North America, with the capitol (St. John's) being founded in 1497. Accent is uniquely fucked, they have their own traditions and identity, as they weren't even Canadian until '49.
They on average earn more than most but cost for everything other than real estate is fucky.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8OPy7De3bk&t=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5O8HwRoDU
my peronal favourite part of Canada, but im biased.
>>
File: 1360[2].gif (24KB, 300x273px) Image search: [Google]
1360[2].gif
24KB, 300x273px
>>53932200
MAD A FUCKING GAS CAR
>>
>>53931545
Maybe America shouldn't have turned out so terrible
>>
US = Argentina
Canada = Uruguay
>>
>>53933014
literally who
>>
>>53931940
joos
>>
bump 2bh
>>
>>53932654
Literally Spain.
>inb4 "Spain isn't first world"
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.