[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Search your surname. What is its meaning? http://names.moo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 21

File: 4156468513254.png (250KB, 4500x2234px) Image search: [Google]
4156468513254.png
250KB, 4500x2234px
Search your surname. What is its meaning?

http://names.mooseroots.com/

pic unrelated
>>
>>53850231
>http://names.mooseroots.com/
Page only says it's of "jewish and spanish origin" I >>53850231
do know its meaning, "son of pedro"

the other is "son of jimeno"
>>
File: amerismart.png (17KB, 482x387px) Image search: [Google]
amerismart.png
17KB, 482x387px
Hispanic is an ethnicity now?
>>
>>53850231
>Pootugal
>>
>>53851168
ethnicity =/= race tho

>>53850231
>patronymic from the personal name Gonzalo, a personal name of Visigothic origin, based on the Germanic element gunþ ‘battle’.
neat
>>
File: WE.jpg (47KB, 746x495px) Image search: [Google]
WE.jpg
47KB, 746x495px
WE
>>
File: Magnanimous.jpg (51KB, 596x565px) Image search: [Google]
Magnanimous.jpg
51KB, 596x565px
>>53850231
>What is its meaning?

"Big head"

>tfw my head is actually tiny
>>
>>53850231
>about 200 people with my surname in USA
>96% of them "white"
>>
File: feels white man.png (10KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
feels white man.png
10KB, 309x400px
No meaning that I know of, but at least I'm 100% white.
>>
>Cyril
>From the post-classical Greek name Kyrillos, a derivative of kyrios ‘lord’. It was borne by several early saints, most notably the theologians Cyril of Alexandria and Cyril of Jerusalem. It was also the name of one of the Greek evangelists who brought Christianity to the Slavic-speaking regions of Eastern Europe, where, as a result, the name became very popular.
based desu
>>
File: usa.png (50KB, 734x598px) Image search: [Google]
usa.png
50KB, 734x598px
>>53850231
Italian (Milan): from corrente ‘running’, ‘flowing’, ‘stream’ (from Latin currere ‘to run’), applied as a topographic name for someone who lived by a stream or possibly as a nickname for someone who was fleet of foot, a messenger, or someone always in a hurry.
>>
>obscure Gaelic name
>173 in murica with the name
>3% are Asian

Wat. There's a family of Asians somewhere in the US with my name. How?
>>
>>53852821
>There's a family of Asians somewhere in the US with my name. How?
>>
>Portuguese: literally ‘most true’, but the reasons for its adoption as a surname are unexplained.
>>
>>53853016

>t.
>>
>>53852821
Either racemixing or shitty transliterations. Using dialects, some Chinese surnames can turn out really weird.
>>
>>53853051
I don't think Verissimo is a Portuguese surname tbqh.
>>
>Donoho
>battle, brown haired man, chieftan

>Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Donnchadha ‘descendant of Donnchadh’, a personal name (sometimes Anglicized as Duncan in Scotland), composed of the elements donn ‘brown-haired man’ or ‘chieftain’ + cath ‘battle’.

>This name is one of the most important and numerous of Irish surname. It derives form the Gaelic compound "Donn" meaning brown plus "cath" meaning battle and was applied to a "descendant of Downcha", Downcha being a personal name. The surname O Donnchadha is found under the variant Anglicised forms of O' Donoghue, O' Donohue, Donohue, Donaghy and Donahue. The O' Donoghues constituted an important sept in Kerry and associated parts of Cork in the ancient area known as Desmond. They had been driven into Kerry by the McCarthys where their chief territory was known as Onaght O' Donoghue. Other O' Donoghue septs existed in mid Galway and in County Cavan. The Onaght O' Donoghues split into two septs, the O' Donoghue Mor with its seat at Ross Castle near Killarney and O' Donoghue of the Glen entitled to the name "The O' Donoghue". Geoffrey O' Donoghue of the Glen a leading poet of the 17th Century who died in 1678. Among the early recordings in London is the christening of Elizabeth Donoghue on February 1779 at St. Botolph-without-Aldgate. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of O Donnchadha of Jerpoint, which was dated circa 1150, in the "Ancient Annah of Kilkenny", during the reign of Turlough Mor O'Connor, High King of Ireland, 1119 - 1156. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

That last paragraph makes no sense to me maybe I'm just tired
>>
>>53853328
that's a neat history
>>
>>53853328
>Donoho

Jesus Christ I don't like anglicisations but that americanisation of the Gaelic is just an abomination. Donoghue is the standard anglicisation. At least use that.
>>
1. Irish, English, and German: variant of Wild.

2. Dutch (de Wilde) and Jewish (Ashkenazic): nickname for a violent, unruly, and irascible man, from Middle Dutch wilde ‘wild’, German Wilde ‘wild man’, ‘savage’.

Forebears: The writer Oscar Wilde (1854–1900) was born in Dublin, Ireland, descended from Ralph Wilde, a builder from Walsingham near Durham, England, who had moved to Ireland in the 17th century. Richard Henry Wilde (1789–1847), born in Dublin, emigrated to Baltimore, MD, in 1797 and was raised in GA, where he became a congressman (1815–17, 1827–35). He moved to New Orleans, LA, in 1843 and was a professor at the University of LA (now Tulane).

Source: The Dictionary of American Family Names © 2006, Patrick Hanks
This English surname recorded in many spellings including: Wilde, Whilde, Wylde, Wyldes, Weald, Weild, Weld, Welds, Wyeld, Wield, and others, has two possible origins. The first is or rather was, a medieval nickname for a high spirited, or over boisterous person. The derivation is from the Old English pre 7th Century 'wilde' meaning undisciplined or out of control. Secondly the name may be residential for a person who lived on at a village called Wild, Wylde or Wilde, or from an area of uncultivated land called a weald. This was descriptive for a large area of land used only for... See more at SurnameDB.com

Source: Name Origin Research, © 2014
>>
>>53850231
>Name didn't come up
>Extremely rare, old Slovene surname
>Great-great grandfather came here in 1911
>Both his brothers died in WWI fighting the guineas
>Only found one guy with my surname in Slovenia

Either all my cousins are off the grid, or between the World Wars, the American branch of my family is the only surviving one
>>
>South German: from a diminutive of Middle High German smit ‘blacksmith’, probably denoting a blacksmith who was the son of a blacksmith.

Also very white.
>>
My surname Hale came from the countryside in England or Wales. A "hael" was a dwelling made in the side of a hill much like hobbit do.
>>
>>53853586
Middle surname.
>1. Czech (Pánek) and Polish: from a pet form of the personal name Pankrać (see Pankratz) or Stipán (see Steven).

>2. Polish: nickname from a diminutive of Polish pan ‘master’, used either affectionately, in the sense ‘little master’, or contemptuously, in the sense ‘lordling’.

>3. Polish: from a pet form of the personal name Panas, a vernacular form of Atanazy, a derivative of Greek Athanasios (see Athanas).
>>
File: minorities roooo.png (21KB, 614x674px) Image search: [Google]
minorities roooo.png
21KB, 614x674px
Someone has betrayed my family.
>>
last name doesn't exist and first name is ranked 400+ in Northern Ireland

no one can pronounce that dumb shit, fuck you dad
>>
>>53853526
you should try to contact him
>>
>>53853789
I only found him through a third party website that said he was in an Irish folk band on tour in Croatia around 2007. Other than that, nothing
>>
96% white with my last name
only 115 people in the US left with my name
This depresses me so much.
>>
why isn't there a pie chart-like thing when i enter in my name?
>>
File: last name.png (48KB, 819x702px) Image search: [Google]
last name.png
48KB, 819x702px
>Americanized spelling of Danish and Norwegian _______ or Swedish _______, established in North America from the late 17th century.
>>
>>53853777

Northern Ireland here senpai, tell me
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-19+at+11.08.03).png (22KB, 817x435px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-19+at+11.08.03).png
22KB, 817x435px
>last name Nicolas
>mfw you can't guess my ethnicity
>>
File: fdfd.jpg (358KB, 1748x771px) Image search: [Google]
fdfd.jpg
358KB, 1748x771px
I'll just include this
>>
File: mexican tbh.png (34KB, 769x237px) Image search: [Google]
mexican tbh.png
34KB, 769x237px
Oh, so that's why my parents named me James.
>>
>>53852821
they count Indians as asians too

Both my surnames have around 25/30% Asians and they're most likely pretty much all Indian from the former colonies and that probably happens to English names too. In fact, my last name is most common in India out of all places in the world even though it's origins are obviously Portuguese
>>
Other part of my family that doesn't come from Ireland. Feels gut.

"This interesting name is of Norman, French, origin, introduced into England sometime during the 12th Century when there was a great deal of trade between the two countries, and consequent immigration by both country's nationals. The Surname is locational, and derives from the place called "Sainville" in Eure-et-Loire, so called from the Old French "Saisne", Saxon, as in the German tribe and Ville, settlement. The Savilles have held lands in Yorkshire since the time of King Henry 111 (1216 - 1272), and Lord Saville was a strong supporter of the Parliamentary side in the English Civil War (1642-1651). The name development includes Stephende Savile (1277, Yorkshire), Rosemunda Savell (1549, ibid.), Ann Sivill (1671, London), and John Sivell (1723, ibid.). Other variants of the modern surname include Saville, Savill, Savil, Saveall, Seville and Saywell. John Payne and Fridiswith Saville were married in London in 1611. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of John de Sayvill, which was dated 1246, in the Yorkshire Fines Court Records, during the reign of King Henry 111, known as the Frenchman, 1216 - 1272. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling."

>>53854003
made me giggl
>>
No results
feels bad
>>
>surname means rock
>mother's maiden name means Thor's stone

ooga booga me caveman
>>
File: shut it down.png (60KB, 1308x647px) Image search: [Google]
shut it down.png
60KB, 1308x647px
>white
>>
>>53854178
I searched my equally jewish name and was had a similar reaction to the ethnicity chart
>>
>Ocampo
>Galician: topographic name meaning ‘the field’, from the Galician definite article o (masculine singular) + campo ‘field’ (Latin campus), or habitational name from a town of this name in Lugo province, Galicia.
>>
File: ayy lmao.png (27KB, 756x413px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.png
27KB, 756x413px
White as fuck, senpai.
>>
My first name doesn't exist.
My "compound" surname is Portuguese though.
>>
File: t.png (38KB, 1034x730px) Image search: [Google]
t.png
38KB, 1034x730px
>>
My Rodriguez is the 9th most common surname in the USA and even more common throughout the Hispanic world, and I have it on both my maternal and paternal side.
>>
File: Wow.png (9KB, 352x398px) Image search: [Google]
Wow.png
9KB, 352x398px
German: habitational name from any of several places so named in Brandenburg and Pomerania.

I think I have some race-mixers among my clan.
No-one outside of my family has this Surname, I swear
>>
File: pedro barbosa 2002.jpg (21KB, 308x450px) Image search: [Google]
pedro barbosa 2002.jpg
21KB, 308x450px
>>53854441
Pedro Barbosa was actually a legendary portuguese footballer

he had a very distinctive way of playing. If he was still playing today he'd probably be an 85 rated winger with about 20 pace on FIFA
>>
>>53853687
Slaves took their master's surname
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.