[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2016 >cumskins are still stealing our history s m h

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1452742870997.png (304KB, 509x521px) Image search: [Google]
1452742870997.png
304KB, 509x521px
>2016
>cumskins are still stealing our history

s m h
>>
>>53561134
W-WE
>>
File: jlm.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jlm.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>spellberg
>>
>>53561134
This is getting extremely pathetic
>>
>our science
>blind faith is science

Triggered. This takes me back to highschool when all the mud slimes used to shit on about how Muhammad predicted embryonic development and plate tectonics.
>>
File: 1447923042037.jpg (84KB, 328x307px) Image search: [Google]
1447923042037.jpg
84KB, 328x307px
>>53561134

Obviously dat nigga didn't even read the book. The book was more about early relations between the American Republic and Muslim states as well as the debate on religious freedom, which included debates on the status of a hypothetical "Muhammadan" community in the United States. Jefferson had a Qur'an for a number of reasons:

1. He was influenced by British Unitarianism later in life and like many other Unitarians was interested in Islam as a religion because of its strict monotheism

2. Jefferson was interested in law and he actually saw the Qur'an as much as a historical legal work by a fellow lawyer/judge as a religious work by a prophet (this is why the US Supreme Court Building shows a depiction of Muhammad alongside Jesus Christ, Confucius and other historical figures hailed as bringers of law, order, justice, wisdom etc.)

3. The debate on freedom of religion involved the discussion of to what extent a religion like Islam/Muhammadanism along with other foreign faiths might have a place in the nascent Republic. The argument of many American Protestants at the time was that if one allows "freedom of religion" it opens the way to Judaism and Muhammadanism. Others responded that the Republic should have a place for every religion, including the followers of Confucius and Muhammad. Jefferson's Qur'an may have also served a purpose for the debates on religious freedom.

4. Jefferson, especially during his presidency, was involved with foreign policy issues. American ships were often the victim of piracy both from the British and the North African Muslims, which eventually led to the blockade of Tripoli after the rulers there demanded too much money for protection of American ships and the taking of American hostages. Also, one of the first states to recognize America's independence from Great Britain was the Sultanate of Morocco and Muslim ambassadors did meet with founding fathers in Britain and America.

a good book 8/10

t. 'Ali, /his/tory major
>>
>>53561185
Me on the left
>>
>>53561549
Damn that's a pretty insightful comment. I thought OPs post was just a book by some history revisionist trying to hamfist Islam into early American history.
>>
>>53561134
>Ireland
>Thomas Jefferson
>Our history
i bet you yell on /pol/ how Trump will make america great again while you arent even from there too
>>
>>53561969
OP is a muzzie, retard
>>
>>53561549
If you use /his/ why is it so shit?
>>
>>53561185
Is there a Jewtube sauce for this? I can only find a Facebook video of it.
>>
File: turkish long pipe.jpg (17KB, 400x258px) Image search: [Google]
turkish long pipe.jpg
17KB, 400x258px
>>53561690

There are a lot of good sources and quotes used in the book. One flaw is that even though the the title is "Thomas Jefferson's Qur'an" it really doesn't spend a whole lot of time on the actual Qur'an in question, which I thought would have been interesting because Jefferson reportedly wrote many more notes in his Qur'an than the book actually gives as well as other letters on religious issues that as of today still haven't been studied thoroughly. Ultimately the book isn't so much about Jefferson's views on Islam, which the book presents as starting out as a view of it as a primitive desert religion of the sword to a slightly more intellectual respect for a religion that had merits even if it was inferior to Christianity in his mind (which also follows the course of Jefferson's own move towards Christian Unitarianism over his past deism/scientism). It's more about the discussion of Freedom of Religion which involved debates between fire brand preachers who believed America was a Christian countries and American humanists, freemasons and Christian liberal theologians who saw the future Republic as having a place "even for" the hated Muhammadans of Christian Europe. It tops this off with discussion of the history of early American foreign policy under Jefferson, especially in dealing with the North African Sultanates and Pashas who subsidized their weak economies under the dying Ottoman Empire with expensive treaties and Jefferson and Adams disagreed on how to properly handle it (Adams preferred to avoid war so early in America's independence, while Jefferson thought they should at least flex their muscles so the North Africans didn't think them pushovers)

My favorite little part of the book is a bit where John Adams meets the representatives of Tripoli (in Britain iirc) and they smoke out of a Turkish floor pipe together and the way Adams smokes causes one of the servants to say in French "Monsieur is a Turk!"
>>
>>53562490
Kek sounds like a good read, thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>we wuz scientific presidentz n shit
>>
>>53562558

Some people on /int/ probably wouldn't like the author's own religiously pluralist views that shine through the book since the author does relate all this stuff back to the question of Muslims' place in America today and whether they have a place to the latter the author clearly believes they do, but what I appreciated, as a Muslim myself, is that the author avoided revising history to make it something like this >>53562563
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.