[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Do I pronounce the words "de" and...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 14504056939461.png (265 KB, 601x391) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
14504056939461.png
265 KB, 601x391
Do I pronounce the words "de" and "deux" the same way or the vowels are different?
>>
>>53380416
Both words sound the same.
>>
>>53380416
the "eux" sounds a tiny bit deeper than the "e" in "de", but that's it. It's hardly noticeable.
>>
>>53380488
Thanks. And what about "loi" and "loin"?
>>
>>53380725
These words sound different : http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rQUpa6XUSU
>>
>>53380725
difference, the first is Loo-ah and the second has that distinctive "oin" sound that doesn't exist in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPbt5fjsG0w
>>
>>53380837
The difference is vague
>>
>>53380977
the ending is different
>>
>>53380977
Not really, oi and oin are two distinct sounds, oin is more nasal
>>
>>53380488
but that's just not true

"eu" is pronounced as /ǿ/ (pretend there's no accent -- 4chan doesn't recognize that letter otherwise)

the "e" in "de" is pronounced as /ə/
>>
>>53381164
>dents and dans sound the same
But that's not true.
They have a different spelling.
>>
>>53381303
"en" and "an" make the same diphthong, the final 's' is silent in both cases and the 't' is silent because it's the final letter for the singular "dent"

So yes they are pronounced the same
>>
>>53381164
Whenever I say de or deux it sound the same, maybe it's just me ; but if there's a difference it is very subtle then.
>>
>>53381391
And the vowels /ǿ/ and /ə/ are pronounced the same in fluent speech.
>>
>>53381391
sorry, meant digraph, not diphthong
>>
>>53381439
learn french lmFao dude
>>
>>53380977
It is substantial to a French speaker. Kind of like the difference between a soft and a hard consonant.
>>
File: homer.jpg (11 KB, 170x208) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
homer.jpg
11 KB, 170x208
>>53381475
>>
>>53381456
in colloquial speech they're very similar, especially in certain dialects (though in other dialects you can definitely hear the difference). But they're still not exactly the same sound, at least not in standard French. Saying "they're the same sound" is like saying that ш and щ are the same sound. They're similar, especially to foreign ears, but they're not the same sound.

>>53381439
it depends on the person I think, sometimes I hear French people really make them the same but sometimes not
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
Thread DB ID: 420317

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.