[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just moved to Germany

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

File: wilhelm2.jpg (71KB, 694x468px) Image search: [Google]
wilhelm2.jpg
71KB, 694x468px
Just moved to Germany, it's pretty cool here, but some things do bother me...

- Doctors talk to you like they are not real persons, but actually something far greater than you mere mortal
- Having to use the formal you 'Sie' for my superiors. I think it's unnecessary.
- Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere, or only being able to pay by card from 10 Euros upward or some arbitrary limit like that. And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the green button, I'm not an idiot, thank you
- All movies are dubbed. I'm from Holland so I'm used to subtitles. By now I'm used to seeing the mouths move and hear something else entirely, but come on, just learn to read subtitles Germans
- GEMA on Youtube
- Not being able to get any fresh coriander
- Generally, most supermarkets in Germany are discounters with a small product range. I often have to go to multiple supermarkets if I'm trying to find something as basic as coconut milk
- I cannot be sarcastic in Germany, as people just do not understand it. If it's raining outside and we have to go out, I might say: well, the rain is quite heavy,, but I'm sure we won't get washed away by a tidal wave', a German might actually say: 'No of course not, we're not at sea.'

But overall, it's a great country to live in. Any tips for a foreigner in Germany of typical German things you get irritated by, as a foreigner, or as a native German? Let's hear it.
>>
no Shari'a
>>
>>53176994
Yet!
>>
File: contemplating crow.jpg (178KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
contemplating crow.jpg
178KB, 1024x1024px
>>53176784
>something as basic as coconut milk
>>
>>53176784
>- I cannot be sarcastic in Germany

I think this is because the people you know there.
My German friends were funny as fuck. I don't know where or how this Germans have no humor thing started, it was not true in my experience. Maybe Bavaria is a lot different.
>>
>>53176784

You can get coconut milk at Rewe and Edeka mate.
For Coriander you can go to the local fresh market, or some turkish store, they usually have it.
>>
>>53176784
Doctors are cunts.
Most of the time, they don't even know what they are talking about and look down on you as they prescribe you promoted medicine to earn more money than they are entitled to.

I am also sarcastic, this scares and weirds out people.
Sarcasm is my humour and way of coping with life.
Coconut milk is available in netto, edeka, real rewe and other supermarkets that sports lots of products.
>>
>>53177166
>I don't know where or how this Germans have no humor thing started
Because people still hype ~80s (German) Comedy shows.

For example they broadcast "Dinner for One" every new years eve and people watch it every year thinking brits are capable of anything more than slapstick.
>>
>>53176784
>I'm from Holland

thought people in the netherlands didn't like the term Holland
>>
>>53177261
it means he's literally from holland
>>
>>53176784
> Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere, or only being able to pay by card from 10 Euros upward or some arbitrary limit like that.

The reson for that is, that the bank demands a fee for putting money from your account on the store´s account. Because of this, the margin is lower. So, to be profitable, the store has to a) allow you to pay everything with credit card, like in the US, where the fee is already in the price, making everything a little bit more expensive or b) Only allow cards from 10€ +, so he doesn´t loose money by selling just a pack of milk.

But yeah, discounters are a real pest. Worked for one for a few years, wasn´t even allowed to give to much customer advice, because that´s waste of time I could use for real work. (Not that any customer would have noted that this service falls flat if they buy cheap stuff at ALDI and LIDL instead of going to a "real" shop.)
>>
>>53176784
>And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the green button, I'm not an idiot, thank you
that's because they sometimes want your signature to compare it to the one on your card.
so you have to wait until they tell you what to do each time
>>
when i was in germany the main thing that annoyed me was my housemates insisting on saving all the fucking cans and bottles. i don't give a shit if you get a few cents for them or want to recycle or whatever just throw that shit away. i'll go dump them all in a river just to piss you off
>>
>>53178553
dude it's 0,25€ per bottle or can... that's a fuckton of money for some lightweight plastic garbage
>>
>>53176784
Are you an illegal immigrant sub human
>>
>>53176784
Hoe voelt het om een landverrader te zijn? kk nsb'er
>>
>>53178662
yes, that's why he posted the refugee ball in his pic sherlock
>>
>>53178624
but most of them were my empty beer cans. finding other people digging through a bin just to fish out cans is just strange to me. one impression i got of germany is people refuse to spend money/act like they don't have any money. even fairly wealthy people shop at fucking aldi. and aldi is shit.
>>
>>53177897
>But yeah, discounters are a real pest. Worked for one for a few years, wasn´t even allowed to give to much customer advice, because that´s waste of time I could use for real work. (Not that any customer would have noted that this service falls flat if they buy cheap stuff at ALDI and LIDL instead of going to a "real" shop.)
well discounters are for getting cheap stuff, not to get advice

>>53178791
dude 25 cents per bottle. You can easily collect enough for a free meal
>>
Germans are legitimately autistic. It's not even a meme, just downright unpleasant people to be around. I like our Flemish brothers down south way more.
>>
>>53178873
this tbqh. i had some german woman lecture me for 20 minutes on the dangers of smoking, as if i'd never heard it before in my life. and have you ever seen them wait at a pedestrian crossing on a deserted road with no cars around? bizarre
>>
>>53178977

thanks for beating them in WW2 lad
>>
>>53177215
>I am also sarcastic, this scares and weirds out people.
>Sarcasm is my humour and way of coping with life.

Puberty can be hard, my friend.
>>
>>53177261
>thought people in the netherlands didn't like the term Holland

Only the ones not from Holland. You get bonus point if you call Limburgers or Frisians 'Hollander'.

T. Hollander

>>53177897
>The reson for that is, that the bank demands a fee for putting money from your account on the store´s account. Because of this, the margin is lower

Stores artificially keep this in place by discouraging electronic payments though.. PIN is encouraged heavily in the Netherlands, even for small transactions ('Klein bedrag? Pinnen mag!" or "Pinnen, Ja Graag!") and because of that cash transactions are now more expensive than electronic ones.. Getting loose change and depositing cash is now more expensive (and more effort) than using PIN. And thats not even getting into the advantages for places that get robbed relatively often, like gas stations and evening shops. No cash=No loot.
>>
>>53176784
All pretty accurate, though big movies generally have limited showings in the original language as well.
>>
>>53176784
Warum bist du nach Deutschland hingezogen?
>>
>>53179135
Why aren't you posting in English like the rest you oilnigger
>>
Actually I thought about moving to Germany. Probably Berlin, because it's a beautiful and non-expensive city.
Any foreigner living in Berlin to chat with?
>>
>>53179156
Does it matter? This is an international board after all where the use of other languages is encouraged.
>>
>>53176784
>one half irrelevant bullshit
>other half plain wrong

yeh nah, fuck off
>>
>>53179275
>Mehmet is angry because his ghetto wasnt named
>>
>>53176784

>Doctors talk to you like they are not real persons, but actually something far greater than you mere mortal

My doctor is based as fuck though.
Which city are you in?
>>
>>53179184
Berlin is epxensie compared to the rest of germany.
but if you're a cool hipster you will like it
>>
>>53179404
>Berlin is epxensie compared to the rest of germany.
That's false. Especially concerning rent. the entire Rhein-Main area has almost twice as high rent prices and Munich is probably even worse
>>
>>53179232
Yes it does matter bitch, english is the lingua franca and this is not /deutsch/
>>
>>53179080
south or north holland?
>>
>>53179519
Faen så frekk i kjeften. Vil du komme hit og sloss?
>>
>>53176784
Let me add some

- Beggars coming into restaurants interupting your dinner by shoving an open palm in your face
- Getting a 3000 euro fine for downloading 2 episodes of Mr. Robot
- Have to go to the other side of the city because your bank does not havy any ATMs in your part and you'd pay a few euro's extra for taking money from those
- No non-german beers allowed in supermarkets
- People lecture you on separating trash even though they know it all gets thrown on the same heap at the refuse dump
>>
>>53176784
I had the same problems t.bh, I thought it was just me being an uncivilized monkey but it's just Germany being backwards

I don't like the shopping carts that need coins to be used, as I usually don't carry coins, just bills

I don't like that there's barely any seats in public spaces, even indoors
>>
>>53179533
Doesn't matter. As long as he does not call me a Hollander. That would start an other civil war.
>>
>>53179404
I hate cool hipsters. Where should I live then
I know that renting a 15m2 flat in Paris costs 800e a month, and I heard that it was about half the price in Berlin
>>
>>53179404
you must be poor as fuck then
>>
>>53179624
>- Beggars coming into restaurants interupting your dinner by shoving an open palm in your face
going to Frankfurt/Berlin is your own fault. This is neither common nor tolerated.
- No non-german beers allowed in supermarkets
BS
>>
>>53179624
>- Beggars coming into restaurants interupting your dinner by shoving an open palm in your face

i can see that happening here in some shit restaurant
>>
>>53179692
>I know that renting a 15m2 flat in Paris costs 800e a month, and I heard that it was about half the price in Berlin
lel?
http://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-4/Wohnung-Miete/Umkreissuche/Berlin/-/229459/2511140/-/1276003001/20/-/40,00-
you can get 40m2 for a good 300€ +-50€ (no idea about the quality and location, though...). Thats without heating, electricity and other costs, though.
>>
>>53179780
it does here, first they started in the fast food centers, now they go to any restaurant by now ;__________;
>>
>>53179404
Wtf. Berlin might be more expensive than the countryside, ok, but it is cheaper than any other of the "Big 7" (Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Stuttgart). Not only the rent, but also other costs (food, beer, public transport) is quite cheap compared to other German or Western European cities.
>>
File: Bier-im-supermarkt.jpg (3MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Bier-im-supermarkt.jpg
3MB, 3072x2048px
>>53179743
oh yeah forgot to mention possible swiss/austrian ones

if you want any belgian ones you have to go to a getränkemarkt and even then you'd have to be lucky to find one
>>
>>53179879
that's because berlin is a fucking shithole
>>
File: 1451587570185.png (357KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1451587570185.png
357KB, 900x900px
>>53179519
Rustig aan randstedeling.

>muh english
>>
>>53176784
>All movies are dubbed. I'm from Holland so I'm used to subtitles.
I thought movies are dubbed everywhere. How poor are you, Holland, can't afford good actors?
>>
>Having to use the formal you 'Sie' for my superiors. I think it's unnecessary.

>not appreciating hierarchy and formal speech

you're not a special snowflake. you're a lesser person and you will know your place.
>>
I just stopped in this thread to wish you good luck at recovering your grandfather's bicycle.
>>
>>53178791
>people act like they don't have any money
this so much

and it would stand out so much if someone tried to do it
>>
>>53176784

unless you're mudslime everyone does this in Holland as well.

>Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere, or only being able to pay by card from 10 Euros upward or some arbitrary limit like that. And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the g

this is a good thing
>>
>>53179886
Dude you dont buy Beer in supermarkets..........
>>
>>53179909
What the fuck is this offensive garbage?

>>53179914
>Ruining the original material because you're too autistic to read captions

Barbarian. Savage.
>>
>>53176784
>- Doctors talk to you like they are not real persons, but actually something far greater than you mere mortal
They are better than you.
>- Having to use the formal you 'Sie' for my superiors. I think it's unnecessary.
A lot better than the English "you" that people use for children and elders.
>- Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere, or only being able to pay by card from 10 Euros upward or some arbitrary limit like that. And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the green button, I'm not an idiot, thank you
idk, I'm a NEET who never used the card irl
>- All movies are dubbed. I'm from Holland so I'm used to subtitles. By now I'm used to seeing the mouths move and hear something else entirely, but come on, just learn to read subtitles Germans
The best way to watch movies. Who the fuck wants to see movies in other languages?
>- GEMA on Youtube
get some unblockers
>- Not being able to get any fresh coriander
What are you, vegetarian or gay?
>- Generally, most supermarkets in Germany are discounters with a small product range. I often have to go to multiple supermarkets if I'm trying to find something as basic as coconut milk
>coconut milk
>basic
Stop being gay and try to shop in Edeka. The discounters are for shitskins and the lower class.
>- I cannot be sarcastic in Germany, as people just do not understand it. If it's raining outside and we have to go out, I might say: well, the rain is quite heavy,, but I'm sure we won't get washed away by a tidal wave', a German might actually say: 'No of course not, we're not at sea.'
Try to be funny.
>>
>>53179975
>je baas u noemen
>je oudere collega's u noemen
>mensen die je niet kent en niet bejaard zijn u noemen

zijde gij 'ne belg?
>>
>>53179624

>Beggars coming into restaurants interupting your dinner by shoving an open palm in your face

I live in Hamburg this never happened to me and I have been to loads of restaurants due my job. You only might rarely get beggars when you sit outside of a restaurant. But thats very rare. Mostly its romanians wanting to sell roses.

>No non-german beers allowed in supermarkets

Wat? Just yesterday I bought some Litovel Lager and Kilkenny at Edeka.
>>
>>53176784
>Doctors talk to you like they are not real persons, but actually something far greater than you mere mortal
this is very true, doctors here have the reputation of being arrogant sons of bitches, which is often true
it's not just for superiors, I'd feel disrespected if some stranger who is obviously younger or older than me doesn't adress me with Sie, when people around my age it'd be awkward though
>All movies are dubbed
in some bigger cities there are cinemas which show movies in the original version, but yeah
>GEMA on Youtube
everybody thinks it's annoying as fuck and people would like to shoot up the place
>I cannot be sarcastic in Germany, as people just do not understand it.
your example sounds weird to me aswell tbqh senpai, sarcasm here is more used in an insulting or derogatory way or for dark humor or tp oint out unfortunate events, like your already soaking wet from the rain and your like "thank god I had this useful jacket or I would have been fucked"
>>
>>53176784
> Having to use the formal you 'Sie' for my superiors. I think it's unnecessary.
Okay. I like it though.
> GEMA on Youtube
There's a Firefox add-on called ProxTube.
>>
>>53179983
Some weeb shit.
>>
>>53179866
That's really cheap, I pay €240 a month for 35m2 and it's coucil housing so you have to wait a few years first.
>>
>>53180044
Nee, ik ben gewoon een normaal opgevoede autochtoon,in tegenstelling to jou.
>>
File: Fedora.jpg (32KB, 466x382px) Image search: [Google]
Fedora.jpg
32KB, 466x382px
>>53180319
>>
>>53180319
Jij spreekt je ouders zeker ook met u aan?
>>
>>53179901
It's because half of it is East German, and as you might notice all of the formerly communist countries in Europe are super cheap.
>>
>>53176784

>Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere,

That is good. Only cash is the truth. Credit cards and all that shit is the entry for debts.
>>
>>53176784
are you already missing frituur?
>>
>>53180841
this.
for your daily needs just get 500€ from your ATM and spend it until it's gone -> repeat.

I would have bought so much more shit with credit cards but in the end I'd regret it. you always think twice while paying cash, that's a good thing.
>>
Germany does have a huge problem with ATMs even though its one of the most advance nations...

Well known banking culture suffering from ATM machine shortages is a bit strange...
>>
>>53180841
>>53180970

let's see you say that again after Özcan steals your filled wallet
>>
>>53179886
>VitaMalz
god tier drink, get it.
>>
>>53180841
Germany is the only country in Europe that has a problem with using debit cards.

>credit cards but in the end I'd regret it.

Germans still can't differentiate the difference between credit and debit
>>
>>53179519
Kalmeer, jij flikker.
>>
>>53176784
RAPE IS A NO NO I REPEAT DO NOT RAPE
>>
>>53176784
> And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the green button, I'm not an idiot, thank you
Never had that in Germany 2bh
>>
>>53181300
Shut up monkey
>>
>>53181123
you obviously don't walk around with 500€ in your pockets and don't confuse our turks with your filthy north-africans (the guys from the new years happening in cologne).
>>
>>53179624
>- Have to go to the other side of the city because your bank does not havy any ATMs in your part and you'd pay a few euro's extra for taking money from those
This is the most retarded shit.
>>
>>53181373
>don't confuse our turks

Turks are North Africans
>>
>>53181425
>Turks are North Africans
turks are bro-tier tbhwy
>>
>>53181466
Turks have been a problem with European development for the past several hundred years
>>
File: 4544642.gif (404KB, 290x163px) Image search: [Google]
4544642.gif
404KB, 290x163px
Sounds like a nice place.

Take me with you OP.
Get me the fuck outta here, I can cook italian food.
>>
>>53181425
>american education

>>53181466
mehmet pls
>>
File: Flag_Zuid-Holland.svg.png (69KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_Zuid-Holland.svg.png
69KB, 1280x852px
>>53179533

Best Holland.
>>
>>53181531
have you ever been to holland? have you witnessed marroks? even those who made it to germany are like turks but just worse
>>
>>53181529

You'll be better off in Argentina or Chile. Soon we're heading towards a huge conflict that might get violent.
>>
>>53181645
Gott Strafe Deutschland.
>>
>>53181645
pls no we are full.
>>
>>53176784
>- I cannot be sarcastic in Germany, as people just do not understand it. If it's raining outside and we have to go out, I might say: well, the rain is quite heavy,, but I'm sure we won't get washed away by a tidal wave', a German might actually say: 'No of course not, we're not at sea.'
Yeah, Germans are pretty much like Americans on that point. I had a Jewish American exchange student in university last year, and she also studied in Germany. Every time we made sarcastic or cynical jokes or remarks she either felt insulted or somehow had to correct us on why this isn't either true or possible. One time she even started fucking crying after a friend made a joke about Jews, and she's herself also Jewish.

Needless to say she left Belgium for Germany after three months
>>
>>53182142

>When somebody says something mean about germany

I don't care.

>When somebody says something mean to the USA

It's beatdown! Time!
>>
>>53176784
I've met doctors in the US that are like that. I've assumed some accomplished professionals just act like that generally.

>store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine
wtf

> If it's raining outside and we have to go out, I might say: well, the rain is quite heavy,, but I'm sure we won't get washed away by a tidal wave', a German might actually say: 'No of course not, we're not at sea.'
lel
>>
>>53181529
If shit goes down then I just wanna live in those Bavarian mountains I used to imagine when I was a kid reading the Grimm brother's fairytales.
>>
File: 7489325675.jpg (5KB, 178x136px) Image search: [Google]
7489325675.jpg
5KB, 178x136px
>duitsers

#einearmlänge
>>
>>53182377

>Bavaria

I have news for you Pedro.
Try Switzerland, Andorra, and Liechtenstein instead, or northern italy. Germany is a sinking ship.
>>
>>53176784
>- Not being able to use my card to pay everywhere, or only being able to pay by card from 10 Euros upward or some arbitrary limit like that. And the store clerks explaining every single time how to use the pin machine, I'm not an idiot, I know I have to type my pin number and press the green button, I'm not an idiot, thank you

They do that for everybody, not just foreigners.
>>
>>53179184
Sup, I live in Berlin
>>
>>53176784
>I'm from Holland
I'm glad you moved away if you're from "Holland"
>>
>>53179080
Get a EC card, most supermarkets accept them for small amounts
>>
>>53179519
hou je is ff rustig kk aansteller
>>
>>53179624
>- People lecture you on separating trash even though they know it all gets thrown on the same heap at the refuse dump
BS

>- No non-german beers allowed in supermarkets

Lack of demand

Where?
>>
>>53179404
Jedes mal, wenn sich ein berliner über mieten beschwert, fällt einem münchner vermieter vor lachen die rolex vom arm.
>>
File: tumblr_n5brgim7cQ1s662lpo6_1280.jpg (422KB, 888x1526px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5brgim7cQ1s662lpo6_1280.jpg
422KB, 888x1526px
>>53176784
I never heard a cute german word before.
Now I have expirienced the bliss of apfelsturdel and can die happily.
Thank You Germany
>>
>>53182846
I'm so sorry anon
>>
File: 1451583730383.jpg (30KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1451583730383.jpg
30KB, 500x375px
>>53182846
May Your soul find closure poor Anon..
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.