[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm leaving in 2 days to study abroad for 5 months in Spain.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1448720395280.png (336KB, 859x596px) Image search: [Google]
1448720395280.png
336KB, 859x596px
I'm leaving in 2 days to study abroad for 5 months in Spain. I'll be living with a family there and studying at a good university. I feel relatively confident in my Spanish ability but need practice with vocab and stuff, and I just hope I get along well with my host parent.

But it's the first time I've ever been out of the country for an extended period, and even though I should be excited, I just feel really nervous, afraid, and have an overwhelming feeling that I haven't prepared enough.

My question to /int/ is, have any of you ever studied abroad and what was it like? Did you have these feelings too?
>>
>>53166906
When they dont understand you, make sure to speak louder and make motions with your hands. Dont let us down.
>>
>>53166906

Call everyone chicano
>>
>>53166906

>university
>living with a family

how old are you?
>>
>>53167121
21 familia, I'm a college junior
>>
>>53166906
the spanish people are pretty warm, they'll help you in times of need
>>
>>53166906
Que parte de España? Yo tengo un poco de familia ahí.
>>
>>53167139

Well living with a family should help you with the language and avoid drinking in excess. Getting friends might be trickier compared to a dorm but I suppose everybody is curious about foreigners anyway.
>>
>>53166906
why would anyone want to live with some stranger family?
why won't you just rent a flat?
>>
>>53166906
I studied abroad for months in a country where the language I was studying is different from the spoken language on the street

>>53167310
>>53167121
Study abroad programs in the u.s like putting estudiantes with familias to get a better experience and immersion in the cultura
>>
>>53167271
Asistiré a la universidad de Salamanca; pues en el oeste del país

>>53167310
Living with a family is required by the program for the first month but if things don't work out you can rent a flat if you like. The intention is to make you more acclimated to the culture.
>>
>>53167338
I forgot to say the part where you'll be fine and have a blast >>53166906
>>
>>53167346
Well, those kinds of families are usually experienced with any students so you will be fine.

Did you study anything before? It's much easier making friends when you know what to do.
>>
>>53167346
Nunca ha visitado Salamanca, pero conozco mucho gente que fueron en colegio, y todos le gustaron.
>>
>>53167417
Yeah I'm a third year student and will be having regular classes. Making friends isn't really what I'm concerned about, as my home uni's program stipulates taking regular excursions around the country with a group from home, as well as tutoring exchanges (talk 30 minutes with a Spanish student in English, they talk 30 minutes with you in Spanish).

It's more like getting along with my host family and all that. I guess I'm just being paranoid.
>>
>>53167475
¡Ojalá yo también!

¿En qué parte del país viven sus parientes?
>>
>>53167556
Viven en Cataluña.
>>
>>53167346

>Salamanca

jejeje

Es una ciudad americana. La mitad de los estudiantes en Salamanca son estudiantes de intercambio de EEUU. Si no eres autista, puedes hacer amigos en Salamanca.
>>
>>53167492
Usually they have experience with foreign students. Just be polite and follow their rules and everything should be fine.

I knew a family here that hosted a Korean kid and a Chinese kid. The family is dysfunctional as fuck and undoubtedly fought all the time in front of their exchange students. I've talked to that family since, about my own travels to Japan and Korea, and all they do is make ching chong noises at me. Reminder: they took Asian students into their own home for an extended period.

Anyway what I'm getting at is at least you're not going to live with a bunch of Americans so you should be fine
>>
>>53167346
>Salamanca

Cuidado, ahí te puede herir el recuerdo
>>
>>53166906
>>53166906
>overwhelming feeling that I haven't prepared enough

You'll never feel prepared enough. You just have to have confidence in yourself. Also even after a few weeks you'll already start to notice your language abilities improving.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.