[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so Jesus spoke Judean Aramaic natively, presumably read Hebrew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: jv0001.jpg (311KB, 800x1049px) Image search: [Google]
jv0001.jpg
311KB, 800x1049px
so Jesus spoke Judean Aramaic natively, presumably read Hebrew and knew some Latin

what's your excuse?
>>
>>53148781
There is no reason to think Jesus knew Latin.

He most certainly knew Koiné Greek though.
>>
>>53150788
>>53148781
Latin was spoken exclusively among the Roman government and military in the Eastern provinces. Koine Greek was spoken mostly by upper class Hellenized-Jews, or wealthy merchants, in first century Judea.

I seriously doubt he knew Greek, and he definitely didn't know Latin.

He was fluent in speaking Aramaic, though semi-literate at best. Maybe he knew some common Hebrew words from the scriptures, but at the time Aramaic was rapidly eclipsing Hebrew by number of speakers.
>>
>>53148781
I don't give a shit about Aramaic and Latin, why would I learn it
Although Hebrew could be fun, at least to understand the Jews and sing Jewish songs to trigger people.
>>
>>53151113
He spoke with a Roman centurion though
>>
>>53151113
Jesus often quote the scriptures

he could've just memorised them but I think it's a stretch, most probably just some rabbi taught him basic reading
>>
>>53151387
He also flew into the air to speak with Moses and Elijah. Some parts that went into the New Testament became part of the oral tradition long after he died.

Though if the event did happen, the Centurion being able to speak Greek or Aramaic was probably more likely
>>
>>53151895
>Muh Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy
lol You are upset he might of known Latin?

>He also flew into the air to speak with Moses and Elijah.

Don't see where it says he flew up to speak with Moses and Elijah.
Only that he spoke to them
Mind pointing it out to me?
>>
>>53152123
Matthew 17:1-9
Mark 9:1-9
Luke 9:28-36

>Catholics in charge of reading the Synoptic Gospels
>>
>>53151387
Educated romans knew Greek.

Koiné Greek was not a language of higher class and merchants only. In the east side of the Empire, it was a lingua franca. Notice how some of Jesus' apostles and followers (all of them peasants and fishermen) even had Greek names. Judea was very helenized (which is explained in the Maccabi books).
>>
>>53152555
Yeah and it all says he talk to them but nowhere does it say he flew into the air to talk to them

Weird, It's like you are sourcing without looking at what you are sourcing
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.