[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Sunni Muslims vastly outnumber Shia Muslims? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

File: sunni_shia_map.jpg (120KB, 965x495px) Image search: [Google]
sunni_shia_map.jpg
120KB, 965x495px
Why do Sunni Muslims vastly outnumber Shia Muslims? What's the difference between Sunni and Shia?
>>
Dog shit and goat shit
>>
Because Shias are revisionist, Sunnis are simply followers of Islam, that's why there are more Sunnis.
>>
shia are bro-tier
>>
>>53122630
Sunnis the best, if you disagree you're paki.
>>
>>53122630
Sunnis are like a hard and big turd that will hurt your Anus to a worrying, level, while Shias are smooth and small but still shit
>>
>>53122776
But Pakis are Sunni.
>>
I wish to leave this planet.
Aliums, come here and take me awayyyy
>>
>>53122630
Which ones are the ones that blow people up and shit? Sunnis tell me its the Shia and visa versa.

Why I even care, I don't know.
>>
Sunni believe the leaders of the Islamic world should be inherited or something, while Shia think those who rule should be the best for the job.
>>
>>53122630
Why Yemen is a part of Saudi Arabia on this map?
>>
>>53123125
Why are you not fucking doing something about the muslims rapists pouring into your country?
>>
sunni is reddit
4chan is shia t b h
>>
>>53123148
Sunnis also blow shit up in the West, thanks to Wahhabi groups funded by Saudi Arabia.

Shias however blow shit up too, but not in the West for multiple reasons
>>
>>53123197
Because it is much more complex for a damn immigrant doing something.
much worse for A native.
hate it
>>
>>53123257
It seems to me the basis of Shia, that leadership should not be inherited, is at least closer to western values. I know jack shit about Islam though so yeah
>>
>>53123307

In Sunni Islam leadership also should not be inherited (elected through shura), as a matter of fact in early Islam, the first four caliphs were not really related to each other by blood (they were by marriage but that's a different story). These are called the rightly guided caliphs (rashidun), because they were all companions of the prophet and good leaders. It went to shit soon after though.

Monarchies such as the one in pretty much every Gulf state (including Saudi Arabia) are actually unislamic, which is funny since the Saudis fund all those extremist groups.
>>
>>53122630
The problem with sunnis is the fucking cancerous wahabism. Thanks, America and England for supporting these nuts.
>>
>>53123656
This

>lel let's remove ottomans what could go wrong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman%E2%80%93Wahhabi_War
>>
>>53123623

always with the 'no true muslim' eh?
>>
>>53123168

You got it backwards - Shia believe the caliph must be of the blood of Muhammad while Sunnis consider anyone suitable to be acceptable (Although they do venerate having Muhammad's bloodline). That doctrinal issue is inconsequential nowadays and has been since at least the fall of the Abbasid caliphs but the centuries of doctrinal development, religious practice and theology and general cultural evolution has made the two into highly separate identities. To our western sensibilities we can't understand the religious sectarianism being second or even equal to ethnic or racial identity, so it makes sense if one almost sees Sunni/Shia as an ethnic divide. It's not, but it certainly is a kind of cultural divide.
>>
Ibadi masterrace 2bh
>>
>>53123885
What I said is true, you dumb fuck. Look it up.

I'm not even Muslim myself, just educating you retards. Couldn't care less if the whole world succumbs to Islam, I'll just keep moving.
>>
>>53123906
Isn't it Ibadi m8
>>
>>53123906
And what's up with Saudis? Are they developing their own version of islam or what? Pls explain sensei
>>
>>53124111

Ibadi are the Omani and are slightly separate of Sunni and Shia though counted as Sunni. They are said to have descended from the Kharijites - the ISIS of the early islamic period. Folks who were mad at Ali for agreeing to arbitration with the proto-Umayyad rival claimant to the caliphate. They left the Islamic community but after Ali's forces killed them in battle for some reason I forget they eventually killed Ali. They would resurface across the Caliphate for the next few hundred years often as a kind of egalitarian resistance to the nepotism and arab-chauvenistic hegemony of the Umayyad and to a lesser extent Abbasid caliphates - you'd see Berbers or whatever being the ones who flock to the Kharijite ideology for that reason.

However today I get the impression the Ibadi are rather like quakers or amish in believing they have the right and orthodox view and are the true Muslims with others possibly even being heretical or infidels but are benign about it - they just want to disassociate themselves from those non Ibadi in day to day affairs.
>>
>>53124159

The Saudis are Wahhabists, though you do have Shia and non-Wahhabi Sunni minorities in the kingdom. Wahhabism originated much more recently around the 1600s or so in a rather apt fortelling of the future kingdom by being a cooperation of Abdul al-Wahhab, a mullah or just religious preacher and an early scion of the Saudis. A main feature of Wahhabism, and which I believe ISIS does too, is rejection of taqlid. Taqlid is following the existing religious scholars and theologians - chiefly the classical islamic era schools of jurisprudence (hanbali, Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi'i). Islam is much more like Judaism in the sense of being highly legalistic and law-oriented orthopraxy (right action or behavior) whereas Christianity is usually a lot more orthodox oriented (right belief).

Wahhabists rejected the slavish imitation and obedience to taqlid, favoring Ijtihad - which can be simplified as independent reasoning, but only with thorough familiarity with the quran and Islamic mores.

In addition they emphasized the oneness of God, bitterly reject religious 'innovations' in Islam in addition to local cultural customs which have tainted the puritanical roots of Islam. They smashed a lot of tombs of Muhammad's relatives or companions in Saudi Arabia because of veneration of them like saintly tombs.
>>
>>53124569
>Wahhabists rejected the slavish imitation and obedience to taqlid, favoring Ijtihad - which can be simplified as independent reasoning, but only with thorough familiarity with the quran and Islamic mores.
This makes it sound like Sunni Islam is the good guy and Shia is the bad guy. Am I correct?
>>
>>53122630
Assad is Shia

Putin is Shia

Iran is Shia

they are the good guys
>>
>>53122691
because sunnis simply outpowered shias.
if it wasn't for a T*rko psychopath -who boiled his mother alive when he was only a child- there would be no Shia majrity countries at all today
>>
>>53124569
This is correct but id also like to add one more thing which is one of the biggest issue with wahabism,it is that they consider bukhari's hadith compilation as sahih aka everything in it is completely valid and things that were said by muhammad,however issue is that this compilation was compiled hundreds of years after muhammad's death and its validity is on par with fanfiction and it is where all the wierd religious rules that dont exist in quran stem from such as dogs being haram and filthy and that music is haram.
>>
>>53124569
How did you learn so much about stuff
>>
>>53125287
those rectangular things that happen to be in bookstores and libraries
>>
>>53123236
PFT

Sunni is more brutal, conservative no-nonsense. It's 4chan personified. Shia is literally Reddit.
>>
SHIA LEBUFF?XD
>>
>>53125465
Quality Croatian post.
>>
>>53123236
this desu senpai
>>
>>53122630
Sunni: How dare you draw a picture of the prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him)? Die infidel!

Shia: That's a nice picture of Mohammad, don't show it to those Sunni guys they'll chop your head off
>>
>>53124687

The Wahhabists were rejecting Taqlid of the Sunnis, the Shiia have their own Taqlid and intricacies therein. And you touched on the crux of the complication with it. On the surface those favoring Ijtihad should be the 'good guys' and it can indeed be used by more progressive or moderate Muslims to bring Islam into the modern era. I think it was Ijtihad which was used to justify the banning of slavery which had been condoned in the Quran and Hadiths.

But it's perhaps our modern sensibilities that make us think Ijtihad or independent reasoning is good. We believe western liberalism in the classical sense is the end of history/end of philosophy and the natural summit of reasoning and logic. But it is hubris to think that and not panned out by the facts. While Christian to Muslim comparisons are always risky one can still find a useful one in our own reformation and birth of protestantism. In a modern lens we see the protestant revolution in enlightenment views of liberalism, secularism, individual rights, moderation and so on. Yet the protestant revolution was in large part a rejection of Catholicism being too lax, too moderate, too diluted and corrupted with innovation. Eventually the independent reading and interpretation of scripture would facilitate modern western liberalism but at the time it advocated a much more puritanical, extreme and uncompromising view of Christianity.

Simply put, Ijtihad in a modern western thinking might advocate progressivism but in an indigenous Islamic context can easily and more often does advocate fundamentalism and puritanicalism.
>>
>>53124687
Their both shit. One will behead you, the other will hang you. The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim.
>>
>>53122630
Sunnis don't have a ruler that speaks for god, Shiites do(same as it happens with catholic church and the pope).
And as we all know, people are always influenced by consequences and so on, so it's safer to say that shiites are better since their ruler will think twice before commanding to kill someone, while sunni wahabbi shitheads will kill you just because they understood the qu'uran in the wrong way.
Also by statistics shiite terrorist attacks and killings are way less than sunni

Both branches are shit anyway, but shiites are a bit more controlled by their leader, while sunni muslims can kill freely whoever the fuck they want.
>>
>>53125562
>Yet the protestant revolution was in large part a rejection of Catholicism being too lax, too moderate, too diluted and corrupted with innovation. Eventually the independent reading and interpretation of scripture would facilitate modern western liberalism but at the time it advocated a much more puritanical, extreme and uncompromising view of Christianity.
Damn. Never saw it like that.
It's interesting to draw historical parallelisms between the evolution of Christianity and Islam.
>>
Sunni: the leader of the Caliphate should be elected democratically by a council of tribal elders

Shi'a: the leader of the Caliphate should be a direct relative of Muhammad, because he has a magical bloodline even thought the Quran explicitly states that Muhammad is just a vessel and is in no way endowed with special powers.
>>
>>53122630
Ibadism is the only true Muslim sect.

Sunni and Shia are both heresy.
>>
>>53125287

About 10 or so years ago I started to read more and the interest metamorphosed from there. I seem to have some innate interest in the more peripheral civilizations, histories or cultures to the more familiar Western European. Not to say I don't like that, just that it can be a bit less of an adventure or discovery to traverse the well trodden roads of that part of the world. Why I tend to like the periods that are less covered therein - the Carolingians and Merovingians, England prior to the 1300s, I love the Roman republican period and the late roman era but I have zero interest in the overly done and highly sanitized early Imperial period, ect.

Recent bullshit with the Islamic world has made it harder to remain appreciative of it, but I like to think one can divorce contemporary complains (of course militant islam towards others has been a issue since its conception but you know what I mean - the current issue of them bringing that militancy to our backyards.) - one could enjoy Russian composers and authors even while we opposed the Soviet Union, and likewise I can appreciate the history of Muhammad and the early caliphs or any odd span of Islamic history without challenging my steadfast opposition to Islamism in the West. After all a lot of folks who love Nazi era uniforms, technology and weapons don't espouse the Nazi's views.
>>
>>53125772
>Democratically
>what is al-saud family
>>
>>53126011
Saudi family is ruled not by a Caliph but by a monarch.
Besides, Sunnis gave up the election thing after Muaviya. Principle =! reality
>>
>>53122630
there was also third branch khajirites

too bad persians are only mentionworth shias

it's as if like catholicism had never splitted into protestantism
>>
>>53129466
but t b h you can see salafism as protestantism, as in getting closer to sources and being fanatical

there are few real sunnis left now, they're under their pressure

I wait when formal split will happen and everyone will declare salafists/wahhabis/ekhwans/other derrorists a formal heresy
>>
>>53125875
Ibadi is the surviving school of khawarij (like hanafi, ismaili, etc), but yeah they see themselves like that

Everyone is wrong aside us but we will not force our beliefs down your throat
>>
>>53122630
Shia are scum, Sunni is superior in every way.
>>
>>53130402
I guess you know best Africa
>>
>tfw quality threads die fucking fast nowadays
I just want to thank the American poster for actually having taught me someday today.
>>
Reminder that shias are bro tier
>>
>>53122630
The Middle East is actually about 40% Shia.

However, almost all Muslims in Asia and Africa are Sunni.
>>
>>53122630
The geographical distribution of muslims is vastly overrated in this map, especially in India and subsaharan Africa.
>>
>>53122630
Most Muslims are Sunni.

Shia Islam is generally more moderate than Sunni Islam (the vast majority of terrorists are Sunni), but all the hippy dippy super liberal Muslims are Sunni.

When people say "radical Islam", they mean Wahhabism, a specific strain of Sunni Islam.
>>
One of them is more lenient about raping women and murdering infidels. You'll never guess which.
>>
Christians>>>Zoroastrians>>>Ibadis>>>>>>>Shias>>>>>>>>>>Sunnis=Jews tbqh
>>
Shias: bro-tier seculars
Sunni: Monkeys who'll kill you for the slightest reason, also they like to enforce their shitty laws over non-muslim
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.