[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to make little paper sketchbooks like

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: o-SUCK-900.jpg (85KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
o-SUCK-900.jpg
85KB, 900x675px
What's the best way to make little paper sketchbooks like the one in the picture? What is this binding called?

I accidentally bought a bunch of 9x12 60lb paper that comes with one of those little tape binding strips so it's going to fall apart and you can't fold the paper back. I want to make some sketchbooks out of it that don't look like big spiral bound ones so I can take them out and do a little clandestine drawing in the food court or cafe or whatever.

Thanks, /ic/.
>>
>>2394534

I actually had a similar dilemma to this a few weeks ago.

Had a Field Notes notebook lying around and really liked the size, fit in my back pocket well. Took that and basically traced it on some marker paper sheets I wanted a book made out of, then did the same with a sheet of thick cardstock to be the cover. Cut and stapled them together in the middle. Then fold in half and took some pliers to really clamp the book down and keep it from trying to open back up.

Really though, I think this was a pretty tedious/sloppy way to go about it, but after trimming and cleaning up the end result it looked more than good enough for my needs. Using a straight paper cutter instead of scissors would have sped up the process a lot too, and probably would have come out looking nicer.

I'm curious as well if someone can offer some good notebook making advice. Would love to take some other paper I have and make it nicely portable.
>>
>>2394534
go to YouTube and find the channel "Sea Lemon". Best bookbinding tutorials. Easy to follow.
>>
>>2395324

thanks brah, the saddle stich with thread or staples seems exactly what I was looking for.

>>2394562

that's what i'm wanting to make, the videos this other anon shared seem legit
>>
For that size paper I suggest the Japanese 4 Hole Binding technique, google it and learn it, pretty easy and you get good results. Also for larger sheets you can use the Coptic Bookbinding technique which folds large sheets in half for binding. Look that one up too.

I have a couple books I have made using the Japanese 4 hole method. Its ususally old books, workout manuals or sheetmusic/guitar tabs I found online (usually pdf or powertab format). Print that shit at the office, bind at home, cardboard with old wallpaper or wraping paper pasted over it for a classy cover.

Also, for bookbinding using sewing like the 2 I mentioned I prefer to substitute fishing line instead of a natural fiber thread. I used an old thing of fairly thick fishing line and an upholstering needle I found in my grandparents house so I have been using those.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.