[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP ME /IC/ my Future is in danger

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

So here is a story
>be me
>work as videogame artist sinse 2007 but always freelance only.
>ALWAYS using E-MAIL only. never had Skype talks except wiht 1 foreign friend 6-7 times
>fat
>shitty looking face because of that
>have no idea how to act on webcamera and talk
>I can write tons of text and ideas in non stop and impress my clients making their d/ic/ks go diamons
>but i dont have vocal/social skills so i probably wont do the same professional quality on camera

So im working with these people - husband and wife - they are Indie devs and i was making game with them for more than a year.
Now they having a sub-project and his wife sent me a message asking IF I HAVE SKYPE so we can quickly discuss ideas for it today.

I havent sleep properly for 2 days and look like an ass.
I didn't cut my hair (but that's ok i will use hair gel)

QUESTIONS:

What do?!
Is she checking me on adequacy? because there MIGHT be a chance of further working with them and going to their city to work in their office.
May be she wants to see me to see if im "cool" and not some weird ass moron?
I mean...im kinda am because i go to bed at 6AM and get up at 18:00PM because im a freelance artist so i dont care about my life.
And i didn't cared about my look either because i thought that my art skills should be the priority and i quickly can "return back to Normal" when time comes.

Im not ready for today's skype talk!!!
But how to tell her? Hooly shit...I don't even have a proper look of my room because im a dork and at the back i have a shelf full of toys (no not anime girls, just some toys like TMNT action figures and stuff like that) and it will take time to remove that shelf.

Please help!
Do Indie Developers even care about look of their artists they working with?
Does my look of a "shitty sleepy face" even matters?
Should i wear better clothes when going to Skype? Or should i look more causal but not too "poor"?

I just REALLY dont want to make a bad impression.
>>
>>2391989
Also sorry for my enlglish-that's not my language.

ALSO an important question - can i politely tell them "TEXT ONLY"?
And will it scare them away making them think that im some kind of weirdo that dont want to show his face?

Should i tell something like "oh im sorry i didnt sleep properly so i look awful!" joking about that so it will look "clean"?
>>
>>2391989

I've personally ever equated skyping with camming. I've only used a headset on skype. Have they specifically asked to cam with you and see your face? If not they might just want to talk to you and then it's no different than a phone call. Or, you could just tell them that you don't have a cam you know.
>>
>>2391989

I can see why you posted this here but this is more of a /adv/ thing man.
I would use that board in the future.

In my opinion though, get the fuck up and go get a haircut.
Take a shower and shave. Then be a professional and talk to them.
Shes a married woman man, who cares? You're going to talk strictly business.
If they freak out about your appearance for some stupid reason then fuck em.
But you need to work on that.
Just because you are a freelance artist does not mean that you shouldn't take care of yourself.
Have some self respect for Christ's sake. Go clean yourself up.
Going to the gym once a week wouldn't hurt either you fat fuck.
>>
>>2391991
>Or, you could just tell them that you don't have a cam you know.
that's a good idea...hope that will not sound "weird". Because a person of mid 20s without webcam = person with no life.
However again may be "no life artist" doesn't matter because skill is the only thing they want from me...
>Have they specifically asked to cam with you and see your face?
nope - just asked for skype talk to discuss a new project.
The thing is - we always talked about projects without skype and it was normal...
there must be something behind that question i guess. May be they finally want to see who they were working with for more than a year...
But im really not ready...i went to bed at 6 am today and got up at 10 am so im super shitty looking with black bags under eyes and on camera it looks even worse.
>>
>>2391991
yeah, and in case they want to see you on cam, tell them you bought one online and it will take a few days to come, that should give you time to atleast clean your room and groom yourself

and about being fat, you should work on that, as a long definitive term goal
>>
>>2391993
>Shes a married woman man, who cares?
i dont worry because she is a woman. they are cool people from indie industry. While i look like some poorfag even im...actually from indie industry too - i just dont have social life so i forget to "look normal" every day.
>Have some self respect for Christ's sake. Go clean yourself up.
i worked so hard for years almost 8-9 hours every day so i could have a chance to move from my town so i guess i "paid" my price with my looks. Im clean (i have a treadmill and because of it i shower 2 times a day) but still because i live mostly at night and dont sleep well i look weird.
>>
Just say you don't have a webcam, and have a voice conference instead.
Skype isn't strictly only for video.

Before you start the call, splash some cold water on your face...it'll wake you right up. Also eat some fruit and drink some water in advance, to get the brain and vocals prepped.

Also,
>>i was making a game with them for more than a year
>>ALWAYS using EMAIL only

That sounds like a tedious way to do game development.
Why wouldn't you use a chat program, and some sort of collaborative service for managing ideas and development content?

Heck even just Skype + Trello would be better than only using Email.

I can't imagine myself being very productive doing art for a game if my only means of communicating with developers was through email.
>>
>>2391997
>and about being fat, you should work on that, as a long definitive term goal
im trying to work on that but i have no time for gym. It basically will fuck up my drawing process...i dont know how other people manage that. If you sit for 8 hours every day you dont have strenght to go to gym
and i went to gym but then i was SO EXAUSTED i couldnt even move let alone draw so i decided to "do it later in future when i will accomplish art goals"
>>
>>2392002
the physical effort dictate just the amount of muscle you put on, you actually don't consume that much calories when working out

the thumb rule is if you want muscle work out, if you want to get ride of fat work on your diet

and about gym, make a home gym, you won't waste the energy to go there and there will be no mental barrier for doing so. but before that go to a real gym, you will learn exercises from others, and well as working on your people skills
>>
>>2392001
>I can't imagine myself being very productive doing art for a game if my only means of communicating with developers was through email.
Umm...i dont really see how that can be a problem.
It often goes like this

1) Im sending my client a bunch of sketches of characters/items/weapons/animation
2) 1-2 messages manage to set up the final "idea-touches"
3) Im going back to drawing

it always been like that... Im sending very informative sketches with explanation of every part of design and write lots of text with ideas and "plan B"s.
>>
>>2392001
>Before you start the call, splash some cold water on your face...it'll wake you right up. Also eat some fruit and drink some water in advance, to get the brain and vocals prepped.
thanks!
>email
It's just lets us send REALLY big messages with tons of text we can think of while writing it/answering it.
If it was a bunch of tiny messages it could not be so "finished".
And if it was a talk...i probably could forget some parts of it while in Email the big walls of text always here full of details.
>>
>>2391996
>Because a person of mid 20s without webcam = person with no life

Or just someone who uses a desktop and doesn't need a webcam. You're project your own insecurities dude no one is going to care that you don't have a webcam or think you're a loser because of it.
>>
it shouldn't be a problem unless you are obscenely fat or a mouthbreather. other than that it shouldn't be that big of a deal? wear something clean, shave, keep your sideburns and the hair around your ears well kept. use a decent backdrop that isn't a messy room. if you havea nice piece of furniture, use that as partof your backdrop.
test the how it looks on camera. use proper lighting, set up 2 lights or use a reflector if needed.

boom, you're done.
>>
>>2391996
>>a person of mid 20s without webcam = person with no life
I have literally never heard anyone ever say this, especially anyone with a pinch of success or dignity in their life. If anything, I'd associate a webcam with maybe vlogging or online chatrooms, which have absolutely nothing to do with "having a life". Quite the opposite in fact.

This really is a non-issue thought. In fact, this statement sounds like a line I'd expect to hear straight out of some movie targeting teens who's life only revolve around the latest and greatest tech for chatting online. The sort of cringe that comes from people that have their-selves glued to cellphones and webcams 24/7.

All I can say is, maybe don't try to psycho-analyze the people you work with so much, you'll be far less nervous if you simply chill.
>>
>>2392006
I didn't say it wasn't "like that", I'm just saying that sounds like a very poor way of managing things that's all.

Like, not the easiest way of doing it.
Still a valid way, don't get me wrong...but it sounds like a rather slow and tedious way to go about communication and management of content/ideas.

That being said, I've only ever worked on projects that involve 5+ people, so maybe I'm thinking of things from a perspective where there's simply too much going on to only use email.
>>
>>2392012
>This really is a non-issue thought. In fact, this statement sounds like a line I'd expect to hear straight out of some movie targeting teens who's life only revolve around the latest and greatest tech for chatting online. The sort of cringe that comes from people that have their-selves glued to cellphones and webcams 24/7.
ok im glad.
I just see all those "skyping" and "google hangouts" kids and think that everybody around me having over 9000 friends they talking on webcam in non stop because its 2016.
>All I can say is, maybe don't try to psycho-analyze the people you work with so much, you'll be far less nervous if you simply chill.
ok i feel better.
>>
>>2391989

just tell her you dont have a webcam, and talk to a human being, you know those things with 4 limbs a head and 2 eyes and nos.. you get the picture. Nothing to be afraid of lol.
>>
>>2392008
You're welcome.

I understand now. You're correct about the tiny messages part. Whenever I have collaborative sessions with lots of quick-fire ideas/messages being thrown about, we certainly don't keep track of it all.

It ends up getting dumped into something like a Google Doc, which I guess is essentially still just a big page with a ton of text and other content embedded in it.
>>
>>2392002
>...i dont know how other people manage that. If you sit for 8 hours every day you dont have strenght to go to gym
I can't draw without working out. Sitting hunched over for hours every day while drawing completely destroys my back, neck and shoulders.
Working out gives me extra energy and makes my back almost pain free. Shoulders are still a bitch, but I'll just have to live with it.
>>
>>2392022
>Sitting hunched over for hours every day while drawing completely destroys my back, neck and shoulders.
that's why i have treadmill and 12Kg dumbbells for biceps - i use them when i feel "turning into a tree that cant really move"
>>
>>2392002
>>gym
I'd say start smaller than that, especially if you just want better health overall in between drawing. Gym is great for muscle and fat work, but you can always start smaller than that if you're strict on time.

Start by going for a walk each day. Not even that far. Set very small physical activity goals that you know you can do each time.
This is the key to avoiding being exhausted from generally keeping good health, it avoids over-working yourself. It's often a frequent set of small activities that will greatly improve your body, rather than chucking it in the deep end.

It can be as simple as going for 3 paced walks a day, each walk being 10 minutes. That's it. 30 minutes of exercise already. It may not seem like much, but the change in blood flowing through your body will thank you for it greatly when you sit back down to do some drawing.
It's also small enough that it won't distract from your train of thought too much. You can always pick up some music you had on while drawing and take it with you while going for a walk. That way, it will condition your brain into not entirely going out of the drawing process, because the music you associate with drawing is still playing during fitness.

Then you can choose to step it up. Maybe two 20 minute walks. Maybe spend the last 5 minutes of it doing small gaps where you jog faster for 30 seconds, then have a 1 minute rest walking at normal pace again and sipping some water as well.

Simple stuff like that. If you're thirsting for more, find somewhere with stairs.
Set a little course that takes 15 minutes to do, and do it 2 or 3 times. As simple as warming up with a 10 minute walk/jog, and then 5 minutes going up and down stairs.

My even quicker drawing break when restless is:
- Stand up, walk outside around the building a few times.
- Find a wall and do a "wall sit" for 40 seconds (leaning against the wall and sitting on thin air, legs forming a 90 degree angle).
- Repeat two or three times.
>>
>>2392041
Also,
- Drink your milk
- Have about 2 liters of water a day, even if it means just taking sips out of a 2 liter bottle to ensure you get that amount each day
- Snack on almonds and tuna
- Eat apples, oranges, bananas and pears
- Cram spinach into your meal whenever possible
- Eat red meat occasionally
- Make sure you get enough vitamin D if you're inside for long periods of time

This should keep you going good.
>>
>>2391989
Just relax. This probably isn't about you. Some people just have difficulty articulating ideas through text, especially when they don't know exactly what they're trying to say.

Honesty is always the best policy with social interactions, too. Straight up tell them before hand that you're not used to skype face time, and apologize in case you're awkward. Then just go for it. You'll be ok!
>>
Torrent "convict conditioning" and follow the beginner routine. It starts with super easy exercises like wall push ups that's ideal for someone out of shape. Ignore the cheesy marketing aspect of the book (there is some weird back story about the author being in jail and developing his bodyweight routine). Just follow the program. It requires little time and can be done at home.
>>
>>2391989
Sounds like you need to git >>>/fit/
>>
My god OP you sound pathetic and depressing.

They won't give a fuck about what you look like. If you hire a plumber, do you care what they look like or do you care about their work?

Well, you would likely prefer it they are shaved (or at least have a properly trimmed beard), showered and clean fingernails, but that is not about the looks but the hygienic. You won't give a fuck if your plumber is overweight or has a glass eye.

>May be she wants to see me to see if im "cool" and not some weird ass moron?
>I mean...im kinda am because i go to bed at 6AM and get up at 18:00PM because im a freelance artist

If you act awkward and insecure they will feel awkward, instead try to own it.

You know, being able to sleep whenever the fuck you want is actually a really cool thing that a lot of people would desire. It's not cool if you're homeless or without a job and that is the reason you can sleep whenever you want, but if you have a job AND can still sleep whenever that IS cool and enviable.

If it matters and comes up just be honest about it and don't degrade yourself. Tell them that this is your decision, that you like the freedom of being a freelance artist, that if the muse kisses you at 3 am in the morning you sometimes work until the next day because you're in the flow and that's how you roll as a creative artist and mind.

No one will think bad of you if you put it like that instead of "well I haz no life and sleep whenver Iz want, very sad :(". Stop degrading yourself for fucks sake.

>>2391996
>However again may be "no life artist" doesn't matter because skill is the only thing they want from me...

Well, the likely won't want to date you, are they?

They will likely be not nearly as judgmental as you are towards yourself and they will likely not be as nosey as you imagine them to be.

Also get fit fatso, a creative and healthy mind deserves a healthy body.
>>
>>2391989
Wow, I know autism is a very overused word, but
A U T I S M
>>
File: JUST CUCK MY SHIT UP.jpg (2MB, 878x1200px) Image search: [Google]
JUST CUCK MY SHIT UP.jpg
2MB, 878x1200px
thank you everybody who commented here and gave advices! You are fucking amazing.
Proves that 4chan and /ic/ can be real bro if you in some serious situation and need help. I dont know any other group of people where i could go so personal and honest and receive so many answers!
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.