[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The sticky is actually a bait for beginners to make them generic,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: 1453838414370.jpg (42KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
1453838414370.jpg
42KB, 650x350px
The sticky is actually a bait for beginners to make them generic, average artists. Every good artist has been learning in art schools and so on... It's pathetic to keep this illusion that everyone can make it.
>>
>>2391044
Post your work
>>
File: bait matrix.png (73KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
bait matrix.png
73KB, 618x618px
>>2391044
>>
>>2391062
I gave up seeing that you have to pay a lot of money to actually progress. What can I accomplish by drawing circles in Photoshop all day? You need a mentor, someone who can fix your shit and guide you. Of course you will still do most of the work.
>>
>>2391073

i'll be happy to mentor. as will many other anons. same as they mentored me.
>>
>>2391044
>Every good artist has been learning in art schools
I have the exact opposite idea, no exceptional artist has ever come from education, every real artist is self taught and explored what art means by themselves
>>
>>2391073
This anon is right, a mentor is perhaps the most valuable resource you get in art school. Whether this justifies their price or not is for another thread entirely.

The sticky is only a starting point and not a means to an end. A mentor can tailor to your needs and provide guidance for you specifically, this is something no book can teach you, nor can an anon tell you exactly what you need to do just from a single post/image. A lot of professional artists offer mentoring as a side service, choosing one that suits your needs though is another question.
>>
>>2391073
Let me guess, you thumbed through a few books and spent all of a month doing line confidence drills and drawing ellipsis for a while out of your day and are now wondering why you can't draw on the same tier as a professional artist. Sorry to say friend but you see progress in months and years not days and weeks and only with diligence, consistent practice and hard work. The information in the sticky is taught wherever you go whether it's in art school or anywhere else on the internet, people telling you to git gud with the fundamentals is not something exclusive to /ic/ and you're stupid if you think otherwise.
>>
>>2391044
lol
While I agree not everyone can make it. It's complete bullshit that artists need schools/mentors. It's just not true.

All you need to do is paint to improve das it baby
>>
>>2391112
So youre telling me, that art, which is one of the most creative things in this world - gets better with mechanical grinding?
>>
>>2391138
If you wanna learn a language you're gonna have to grind to learn vocabulary and grammar
If you wanna be an athlete you're gonna have to grind and exercise and do repetitious drills
If you're gonna learn guitar your gonna have to grind and learn your scales
If you're gonna learn to be an artist you're gonna have to grind and work on your fundamentals
If you're gonna learn [skill] you're gonna have to [practice a lot]

Yes, anon. Yes. It's going to involve a lot of repetition no matter what you do.
>>
>>2391138
>which is one of the most creative things in this world

citation needed. creativity has nothing to do with art per se.
>>
>>2391138
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0MrnzBJ8M
>>
>>2391073

So you just suck and are blaming the sticky for your own lack of willpower.
>>
File: statuestud.jpg (41KB, 849x516px) Image search: [Google]
statuestud.jpg
41KB, 849x516px
>>2391073

I'm fully self-taught, haven't had anyone mentor me at all. Although, did spend some time watching a few tutorial videos ! They work like a charm. Perhaps you need CGPEERS in your life buddy.
>>
>>2391168
Self-taught =/= self-trained
>>
>>2391145
You can abuse the rules in those, but you cant abuse drawing. Grinding doesnt make any sense for it because if you draw bad quares - drawing them more often will only makre more bad squares. Thats the real issue of not having a mentor, no one will fix your stuff and because of that you will repeat mistakes over and over again.
>>
File: oversmug.jpg (167KB, 405x412px) Image search: [Google]
oversmug.jpg
167KB, 405x412px
>>2391203
WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN
>>
>>2391044
youll be happy to hear were remaking the sticky though.
>>
>>2391217
you're supposed to see the mistakes yourself. even if you can't describe what's wrong, you still need that sense of what is right and wrong. if you have that, you can work on creating better squares with each time, without needing a mentor to tell you that. it's called talent.

a mentor is for guidance, and not everyone has one. and certainly not everyone relies on one. nowadays there are books. many of them written by your so called "mentors"
>>
>>2391073
Just kill yourself then.
>>
>>2391218
Self-taught is teaching yourself the fundamentals/etc, like not using any books.

Which is obviously a bad idea.
>>
Mentors get good without mentors and charge money when you want them as your mentor
>>
>>2391260
dumb logic
>>
DID THE MAN WHO INVENTED COLLEGE GO TO COLLEGE
>>
>>2391344

why... just why.
>>
>>2391044
I believe a big part of making it big as an artist, apart from constant practice, would be luck. Making something that more people want to see.
>>
File: 1419550205047 1.jpg (274KB, 513x828px) Image search: [Google]
1419550205047 1.jpg
274KB, 513x828px
>>2391260
>Getting knowledge from books is bad
>>
>>2391469
Are you an idiot?

Not using any books is a bad idea.
>>
>>2391478
Reading the comment again I see my mistake, I thought anon was saying that reading books was a bad idea.

Though i still disagree with anons definition of self-taught, i find that most people who say they were self-taught mean that they learned from books and other sources rather from college, with a mentor physically being there.
>>
>>2391493
>self-taught vs self-trained
why is this even a topic of interest to you
>>
>>2391776

>say something
>people disagree
>Lol, why do you even care, bro?

wut
>>
>>2391786
Not him (I was the original poster) and I don't really care if you agree/disagree. That's how I view it, especially since a lot of "self-taught" artists are fucking terrible and lack fundamentals whatsoever, given they haven't had a mentor let alone picked up a proper book.
>>
>>
>>2391226
I will.
>>
>>2391790
Well, there are also lots of art school grads who are fucking terrible and lack fundamentals. Not sure what your point is here. There are plenty of excellent self-taught artists as well.

If you lack the self-initiative to figure out which books are helpful in your art education, go to life drawing classes, pay for, or pirate good online classes, go to workshops, talk to better artists, share your work online for critique and guidance etc, then that's really not the fault of self-education, but your personal choice.

Just how at art school you have to make the personal choice to either take it seriously, work your ass off, make use of the opportunity that you can talk to teachers, network with fellow students etc. Or be a lazy fuck who wastes their parent's money and just enjoys the easy ride for a couple of years, without getting anything out of their education other than a worthless degree. Success in art depends on your mindset and dedication more than anything else, now that all important information is free and easily accessible for anyone with internet access. I guarantee you at least 90% of art school grads who made it as professionals would also have made it if they were self-taught and 90% of failed self-taught artists would also have failed if they went to art school.
>>
>>2391044
Plague of Gripes is that you?
>>
>>2391225
Having a mentor is the same as asking for C&C. When learning by yourself you can just do that, that's literally your whole argument gone.

Look up deliberate practise.
>>
>>2392263
i didn't say that a mentor is the same as CC. a mentor is like a guide. having one will benefit you, but what if you can't have one? even without a guide you can still get to your destination with a map and some research.

my main point is that with or without a mentor, you're still responsible for your own progress. right now you're painting having a mentor as the ultimate solution to your problems but have you considered that even with a mentor you can still fail just the same? you might not understad the advice. your mentor might not know what to do with you. he might want to focus on more promising talents that can do their own share of work.
i that doesnt work out, what do you blame then? your family background? the education system?

you want a mentor because you want someone to hold your hand. but if you are an adult you should learn how to make your own decisions (in terms of art) too.
>>
File: KerbyDrinking.jpg (58KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
KerbyDrinking.jpg
58KB, 648x648px
>>2391073
>tfw I used to think that like this

It's funny coming back to /ic/ and seeing how things never change with beginners. They all bitch about the same exact thing and soon find themselves quickly in depression.

Don't worry, anon, I thought the exact same way too. I went to on-site animation school, took up CGMA, Schoolism, and other highly recommended online lectures. And in the end, the only feedback I always look back on is from what /ic/ would tell me when posting my work. Not only that, but if you feel as though there's a magical book out there that'll teach you everything at these classes have to offer, good luck on that search. These classes are going to offer you books that /ic/ already recommends and have available for download.

As for having a "mentor", 90% of the time, as long as you "understood" what the mentor is telling you, you're critique will always be along the lines of "this is good" and nothing more. If they see you using the shapes they taught, that's that. How the final product looks is up to you, and they won't critique that.

Damn, wish I could go back 2 years in the past, slap myself, maybe jack myself off a bit cause I would be curious of how that'd work, and just tell myself to stick to my fuckin' studies and save $5000+ I spent on these online lectures. The school was worth it simply because of the degree, but I'll tell ya I didn't learn shit that couldn't be learned off youtube stuff and here. The degree just gave me the ability to travel, nothing more. It doesn't even involve with anything art related. It's just a piece of paper literally no one reads.

So shut up anon, stick to your studies, you can do it. Since /ic/ has helped me out a lot, I'm planning to upload all the lectures I've been through once it's all said and done. But until then, don't be a bitch, and just draw. It'll pay off.
>>
>>2392332
post your work.
>>
>>2392338
I have and will continue to here on /ic/ once I finish up some projects. I like things not being sugar coded.

Otherwise, good luck on your drawing adventures.
>>
>>2392340
>sugar coded

oh shit nigger what are you doing
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.