[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for character designs where the designer simplified

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: design.jpg (61KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
design.jpg
61KB, 400x607px
I'm looking for character designs where the designer simplified the skull and anatomy down to its bare essentials, and then contorted the shapes into strong, easy-to-read primitives that still appeal. Some examples I've found so far would be Disney during the 2000's, nearly anything Mignola has done, or Brad Birds work as well.

Is there anyone else /ic/ would recommend for simple, strong shapes and designs? (Disney's enormous empathy eyeballs not required.)
>>
>>2388293
Learn the real thing, then distort it yourself.
>>
>>2388293
>Disney during the 2000s
Yeah, they're been pure cancer for a while now.
>>
>>2388831
both 2000s Disney and current day "pure cancer" Disney make use of the exact same principles of stylization and shape design. Only difference between now and then is that it's being applied to 3D animation instead of hand drawn animation.
>>
>>2388293
Learn the Foundation of Design and I guess watch a good Character Design lecture if you really want to know the reasons behind Disney's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epJfMCARtkE

This video will give you little insight on the subject.
>>
>>2388836

I actually enjoyed the art books for Tangled and Brave, especially the early stage designs. I felt like Frozen was not as nearly varied though.

>>2388842

Any good recommendations for learning the foundations of design, especially for shape language? I'm familiar with the basic 'villains are based on triangles', but I'd like to go deeper with examples if possible.
>>
>>2388836
>both 2000s Disney and current day "pure cancer"
That's what I said.
>>
>>2388836
>both 2000s Disney and current day "pure cancer" Disney make use of the exact same principles of stylization and shape design. Only difference between now and then is that it's being applied to 3D animation instead of hand drawn animation.
how can a person who supposed to be an artist has so little knowlege about animation.
Oh wait
>/ic/
yeah
>>
>>2388858
>both 2000s Disney and current day "pure cancer"
>That's what I said.
Atlantis/Titan/TreasurePlanet are cancer?
Are you like literally retarded? One of the most unique disney films ever.
>>
>>2388858
Well, your opinion is pretty shit then and comes from a place that is purely based on contrarian opinionated consumerism, with zero knowledge about animation and stylization.
>>
>>2388881
Please feel free to actually deconstruct my argument instead of throwing around pathetic ad hominem insults.

But who am I kidding, we both know you can't do that, because you are the one who doesn't know shit about animation. Glen Keane developed the character designs and style for many of Disneys 90s/2000s movies and he was the lead character designer for Tangled, which the entire "modern cancer" Disney style is based on.

Tangled is Glen Keane's 90s and 00s stylization and shape design developed for 3D animation. Jin Kim is continuing to make use of the exact same principles of shape design and stylization that Glen Keane has used for all of his work at Disney.

Educate yourself before you try to sound like a smartass. I know it's the cool thing to hate Disney and shout "muh sameface" like some dumb fucking peasant, but at least don't try to act like you know anything about animation and stylization when you do so.
>>
>>2388882
>Atlantis/Titan/TreasurePlanet are cancer?
Yes, those styles are pure cancer.

>One of the most unique disney films ever.
Jesus Christ, I hope you're trolling.

>>2388883
>contrarian opinionated consumerism
This literally makes no sense. Contrarian consumerism? Are you just spitting out words like a retard? You're even defending consumerism by supporting the uninspired drivel that Disney shits out.
>>
>>2388892

Different anon. You really didn't like Atlantis? Even with characters like Rourke and Vinny? The scene with Kids and the floating statue heads?

Plus, the Doctor and Captain in Treasure Planet were adorable in their opposite designs. Jim and Silvers relationship wasn't anything groundbreaking, but that montage with excellent animation and zero dialog got the message across beautifully.

I'll also add that the lead designer for Coraline did a good job with a bunch of asymmetrical designs.
>>
File: CaSzkLbVIAAvF-D.jpg (87KB, 600x960px) Image search: [Google]
CaSzkLbVIAAvF-D.jpg
87KB, 600x960px
>>2388852
>Any good recommendations for learning the foundations of design, especially for shape language?

I'd like to provide more info, but currently under going some online lectures about Foundation and character design from CGMA and Schoolism. I've had trouble figuring out stuff like pic related, but after going through anatomy and learning more about design, it's clear as day why those choices (especially if said artists posts their sketch books).

As to where to find such lectures around here, can't say. However, I will have these lectures upload around Summer. So... I guess wait for those or hopefully someone here has more insight?
>>
>>2388892
>>Atlantis/Titan/TreasurePlanet are cancer?
>Yes, those styles are pure cancer.
>>One of the most unique disney films ever.
>Jesus Christ, I hope you're trolling.
yeah go back to watching your weeb cartoons
>>
>>2388905
>Different anon. You really didn't like Atlantis? Even with characters like Rourke and Vinny? The scene with Kids and the floating statue heads?
>Plus, the Doctor and Captain in Treasure Planet were adorable in their opposite designs. Jim and Silvers relationship wasn't anything groundbreaking, but that montage with excellent animation and zero dialog got the message across beautifully.
I dont think this person is able to understand those details at his age.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.