[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for Beginners?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

Hello, beginner here when it comes to art and drawing. Got myself a copy of “Drawing for the absolute and utter beginner” by Claire Watson Garcia and a 4th edition “Drawing on the right side” by Betty Edwards. Don’t have the means to take classes but I am dedicated to my craft.

My questions are how often do you practice your art? How long should I practice mine per day? Do you have any helpful tips of a beginner?

By the way just learning about shading values…
>>
>>2388140
>how often do you practice your art?
1~3 hours a day

>How long should I practice mine per day?
The more, the better, you should practice as much as you can. You can't get good training 30min a day

>Do you have any helpful tips of a beginner?
Read the goddamn sticky

Read all the books on sticky, if you can, practice others after (and always take time to draw things you like, otherwise you will probably lose passion exclusively training on those books), while doing so, post your drawings in "Critique" threads, so you don't create one just for your, there you will get proper tips for your actual drawings.

good luck and keep drawing
>>
learn the mannequin, start figure drawing as soon as you can.

Right Side of the Brain and Fun with a Pencil are both very important for starting.

After that go onto the Figure Drawing for All it's Worth

messing around with figure drawing will also give you some basic anatomy to start with. After that it's whatever.

Don't skim through the books, actually read them
>>
>>2388140
>>2388208
>anno domini 2016
>seriously considering right brain memebook
>>
>>2388229
What's a better alternative then?
>>
>>2388140
Learn perspective. Seriously.
>>
>>2388252
Yes, this is one of the most important things, a drawing with good perspective and proportion with bad detail is way better than a very good detailed work with bad proportions and perspective

>>2388229
it being a meme or not/this right side shit being true or false, that book does help, why not?
>>
don't just do studies, don't wait until you are good to do imaginative work, get used to doing drawings that suck and not beating yourself up about it but instead be inspired to git gud.
>>
>>2388140

how far are you into this book? do you think its good?
>>
>>2388262
Different guy here but I'm only on day 2 of picking up drawing.
Currently I'm on page 26 of Fun with a Pencil, should I just put it aside and deal with perspective or should I not worry until I finish the book?

I'm hoping to avoid making bad habbits
>>
>>2388281

I am at the "Pencil Values" section right now, about 1/3rd done the book. But that dosent mean im not redoing the previous stuff as refreshers / practice. But so far it has helped me, as to if its good, im not the person to ask.
>>
Not op but should I take it one book at a time or as many as I can manage

Also what's this about building up a good visual library I keep hearing about?
>>
>>2388140
Practice is your friend. It's like kirk hammett when he was asked "how do you get good at guitar", his answer was "play your fucking guitar". Theres no magic tip, trick or skill that will have as massive an impact as practice and experience.
>>
>>2388208
>start figure drawing as soon as you can
Are you sure? I've heard its best to do perspective and gesture before figure drawing.
>>
>>2388140
Everyone in this thread has some good points.
One thing that no one ever told me when I started drawing is that:
It will take a lot of time, especially in the beginning, to get good.

It's not like some jobs that you can learn within a four year bachelor's at a university and go straight into making money.
It takes time to understand composition, perspective, anatomy, construction, and that's ok. Don't rush becoming an artist, if you do, you'll end up burning out and dropping art.

Sure you can learn fundamentals, and even make some good pieces within a 4 year timeframe, but it takes a lifetime in order to become a master.

You won't get better tomorrow if you don't try to get gud today.

JUST
>>
>>2388374
OP Here: I dont plan on becoming the next master> At best i want to be able to draw animated stuff, Adventure Time, South Park, Disney. Stuff i can use to create characters not really for gain but myself.

Will it take me a lifetime to master drawing disney esq characters? O.o
>>
>>2388346
I think one at a time, because every book follow its methods/learning course, but if you want to go for more books it wouldnt hurt. Never heard of that visual library though

>>2388297
I believe any book has perspective, so I would say keep up with the book, if it doesnt have it, you learn it aside.
>>
>>2388247
Anything from actual professionals working in current day industry(CGMA, NMA, Schoolism, Gnomon, books, tips, tutorials, workshops from acknowledged people - always check their works first). If you want to learn how to draw from imagination(I bet you want) you need to learn fundamentals and the very basic fundamental is not betty edwards' nonsensical technobabble.
>>
>>2388876
>and the very basic fundamental is not betty edwards' nonsensical technobabble

Not the same anon.
What do you see as fundamental if I may ask? I see Edward's book as complete waste of time actually, so if you can guide me in the right direction it'd be great.

I studied perspective by watching vandruff's video lectures, read two books on perspective(amelio, norling) and tried my way with basic figure drawing by attempting to draw the way loomis, hampton, vilppu, huston, proko does but I feel like I'm neglecting a lot of fundamental knowledge e.g. not drawing still life etc. And the figures I've drawn never look good.
>>
>>2388965
Term fundamental in my book encompasses the very basic things about it: construction of form and sense of volume and proportion, composition and storytelling, gestures and anatomy, shading and coloring, etc.

There is no particular way of learning things, it's like branches of large tree and you are at the very roots in pitch darkness with dim flashlight, but there is one recommendation: drawing for creation must come before drawing for study. You should not hoard studies because study for the sake of study is dangerous trap.
This means you should draw something you'd like to draw and analyze your weakest points and only then strike at them with focused studies. After that create drawing 'landmark' with things you studied prior and look at more points of weakness. It is very helpful to get fresh outside view, ic will help with this when they are in mood.
Do not fear to fail. Hands you draw look like shit? Learn what mechanism makes them tick and draw 100 hands holding something doing something.
You must draw to learn. No amount of theory will replace practice. If your figures look not so good, you are not drawing them enough. Find what makes them good in other artist work, compare with yours and strike with hundred of studies.
>>
>>2390524

Thank you for the answer. Those fundamentals you've listed doesn't really seem basic. But that might be just me.

If there is no particular way to learn, then I fear I'll stay at this beginner stage where all I can draw are basic stuff with no idea how to improve. I heard that I'd need to draw what I like to draw, but for now there isn't anything.

I've downloaded tons, and tons of books, video lectures and I literally got no idea which ones are worth it. Or which one should I start with. 3 months have already passed as I began learning fund. and I haven't improved in the slightest....
>>
>>2388208
>Skipping the fundamental ability to think in 3D on paper

>>2388140
You should do plenty of life drawing by de-constructing objects and learn how to truly think in 3D before you even try to draw people.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.