[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traditional Art General - Wet Media Eddition

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: the end of the world.jpg (459KB, 1314x729px) Image search: [Google]
the end of the world.jpg
459KB, 1314x729px
Hey, /ic/, can we get a traditional art general going?

>Anything to do with wet media.
>Watercolours, oils, acrylics
>Watercolour markers or pencil crayons
>Brushes, washes, technique
>Post what you're currently working on
>ect.

Sure digital is polished and a brilliant discipline in its own right, but there's nothing quite like problem solving with a brush.
>>
p-pencils are pretty cool yo
>>
>>2384125
making a small oil study from a Baucher painting
>>
>>2384125
popping the painting cherry
>>
>>2387104
I really like this!

Were you just trying to match colors and value?
>>
>>2387120
mhm! it's been a while since i've used oil, so i'm treating it like a warmup piece. it's much smaller than the original-- I think mine is 8 in x 16 in, as opposed to 64 x 30 or whatever it is... so focusing on the bigger shapes and elements.

and oops, it's Boucher.
>>
>>2387113
The form of the cherry feels a bit off, but I'm really digging the depth of the colour intensity.
>>
File: nebulas.jpg (476KB, 906x1060px) Image search: [Google]
nebulas.jpg
476KB, 906x1060px
I did this in august. Watercolours with white gelpen for the stars on banana paper. Was just getting back into painting after a long hiatus.
>>
>>2387174
hipster tier
>>
File: 1407072719229.jpg (33KB, 162x162px) Image search: [Google]
1407072719229.jpg
33KB, 162x162px
Been having an issue with doing flat washes with watercolours. F

For example, if I do a flat wash of a box, the excess water loiters at the bottom and blooms out, ruining the flat wash.

If I try and draw off the water using a bit of tissue, the pigments at the end tend to lift off a bit too much as well.

Trying to balance the amount of water seems very hit and miss with more guess work than an ability to consistently gauge.

I'm totally new to watercolours though, so if there's something I'm painfully oblivious to, I wouldn't be surprised either.
>>
>>2387327
just use a thirsty brush and touch the puddle gently, it will suck it up automatically.
>>
>>2387327

I think that's mostly a matter of practice. As you get more familiar with your tools, you'll develop an intuition for how wet to work etc.

But rather than using a tissue to mop up excess liquid (though it's a valid choice), you can also try just using a dry brush, or even just draw the excess liquid off your current brush out onto a tissue and use that same now-damp brush to mop up the excess on the page.

The type of brush you use can also change things though. Eg, synthetic brushes don't actually absorb water, so more of it will rush to the paper on contact in comparison to a natural hair brush, where the liquid will be less eager to leave and often lay down more evenly.

You can also angle your painting differently, lay it flatter so gravity won't force the water to accumulate too severely.

But mostly it is just a matter of gauging how much water is on your brush compared to the amount you want to lay down. Ideally you'll rarely have to mop up excess at all unless you're going for a particular effect, but that'll come with practice.
>>
File: 1409486366223.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1409486366223.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>2387332
>>2387340

Alright, thanks for the advice. I am using synthetic brushes at the moment (have been noticing that rush that you mentioned), and now that you mention it, I was rather steeply angled.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.