[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make an object look 3D/not like symbol shit with just

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

How do you make an object look 3D/not like symbol shit with just line art? Even drawing with a 3D mindset/drawing what I see, it comes out looking horrid. I've watched Prokos vids a million times but I still seem stagnant. Especially when it comes to "building form". I thought I could do that, but apparently it still seems like symbol drawing garbage.
>>
>>2380031
me 2 anon
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102KB, 1920x1080px
>>2380031
Start simple. boxes, cilinders, pyramids. Once they start to look fine, use different perspectives. (pick not related).
>>
>>2380031
The trick is drawing a lot (and mainly from life) and trying to make it either realistic or at least simplified in a geometric way (not in a cartoony or anime way because you want to break your bad habits at first). If drawing is becoming frustrating do some sculpting with clay or plasticine from anatomy books (i recommend Peck for this)
>>
>>2380079

The problem with drawing from life is, if I go to draw a face from life, my eyes still look symbol-like (even though I try drawing "around" the form", etc, and my nose looks like a symbol blob that looks out of place on the face. It's frustrating as shit.
>>
Stuff that goes across contours usually works magically. There's a reason why you often see arbitrary looking lines curling around simple sketches, they show form. They don't have to be arbitrary, though.
A flat looking arm with a bracelet or wristwatch suddenly gives an illusion of form, because you have something wrapping around it. You can make muscles /clothes behave in a similar fashion, they don't just sit on the body, they wrap around it, and each other. They overlap, etc.
If you count cross hatching as 'just line art' you can also use light and shadow to give that illusion.

Basically prioritize learning your basic shapes. Once you know how to make a cylinder/cube look three dimensional and draw those intuitively you're half way there.
>>
>>2380081
Your jumping to things that are way too complex right off the bat. The face and body is really complex when it comes to geometry, and unless you can easily relate everything to a vanishing point without having to make the lines and create the basic shapes that people are made of, it'll ultimately come our weird.

Instead, you should knuckle down and do still life construction. Look at an object, and try to build it out of primitive shapes, going from largest to smallest. It WILL look like shit for a while, but 3d isn't one of those things you'll be able to do easily by just reading a tutorial. You actually have to practice a lot.

And if you don't already have basic understanding of perspective, then you should really practice that.

And if you can't even draw clean, non-scratchy, straight lines, curves, and ellipses: then you're already skipping over the basic essentials.
>>
>>2380095

I can draw clean non scratchy/straight lines pretty decently, it's still wobbly, but a lot better than I used to. Curves/ellipses are still an issue. The MAIN issue is trying to draw an symmetrical curve/line. Those are an extreme pain in the ass for me, especially curves/when it comes to drawing jaws. I'm still going to work on them still but I'd like to work on the other stuff.
>>
>>2380105

Trust me though, frequent still life construction is the best way to develop an innate sense of perspective.
>>
>>2380079
Using this image as a reference, it's about shading and mastering the transitions from light to dark. This is part really learning how to see and part draftsmanship. You learn both in tandem but you really need to practice both in tandem.
>>
>>2380115

In a different thread I saw someone getting chewed out as proko made his eye look 3D without shading/tone.
>>
>>2380120
Yes there isn't just one way. You can insulate volum with simply form.
>>
>>2380115
>You learn both in tandem but you really need to practice both in tandem.
Did you mean to say
>You learn both in tandem and you really need to practice both in tandem.
or maybe something else
>>
>>2380135
No I just fucked up the last part should say "but you need to practice both separately also" just looking and looking and then trying to bring what you've learned back to your drawing.

I didn't say it but it should be apparent that you also need to practice form. If your forms are fucked up then shading will only hide so much.
>>
>>2380031
show an example of your garbage, and I'll tell you what you need to work on
>>
>>2380153

unfortunately I don't have a scanner/camera currently. But one of my main issues is drawing a cube correctly in 3D, when it comes to seeing the front/side plane of a building. Starting out with the straight line for the Y method, fine. But when it comes to the depth portion/getting the angle exact on the line going back, I always mess up on that.

For example, I go to draw this small shed thats on the other side of the road from my window.

You can see the full front side, and a bit of the right side, and a bit of the angled right roof side. For some reason I can not draw the angle of the line going back towards the woods correctly. And I have to do this really dumb method of lining the pencil up with that line to transfer it to paper correctly.
>>
>>2380081
Practice, faggot.
If we could draw 3d with just our mindset we would all be drawing like kjg. The reason it looks shit is because you suck.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.