[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dip pen thread. I've been wanting to start with dip pens

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (262KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
262KB, 600x400px
Dip pen thread.
I've been wanting to start with dip pens and I've heard a lot of conflicting information about how to get the coating that the nibs come with off. I was told burning them with a candle is the most effective way, but other sources have strongly advised against it because it can warp the metal.
Also, how important is the brand of ink you use? Which one do you prefer?
>>
burning is ok, if the metal turns red, you've gone too far. A couple passes through a lighter will do.

I've only ever used speedball stuff when I messed with nibs. I plan to get back into traditional line work soon, so I'll have to experiment.
>>
I use deleter paper so I use their ink too.
>>
>Brause music nib not staying in any nib holder, even the ones from the same brand
What am I doing wrong here
>>
>>2378063
You just ram it in there.
That's what I always do
>>
>>2378123
It keeps slipping out, even when pushing it in far into the nib holder looks like it is breaking it. No other nib does it, just this fussy ass one.

I'm guessing a quick fix is just to tape it to a holder when I use it.
>>
>>2377852
I did moderate brushing of the nib with toothpaste, it works for me
>>
>>2377852

you might want to water down your ink slightly if it's not working properly.

i had really big problems and I assumed it was the nibs til I watered down my ink and suddenly its a breeze to draw with.
>>
>>2378456
This is fucking stupid. DONT DO THIS!!!!
>>
Learning to draw in ink and using Zebra G (which i think is in OP pic). Using Higgins ink for now which i heard sucks but i need something to practice strokes and such.

The pack came with 10, so when do i know when I need to change nibs?
>>
>>2381543
How the fuck do you expect to achieve a shade gradient if not with varying degrees of diluted ink?
>>
>>2381543
Retarded? Even if it was terrible, which it's not it's common practice, how would diluting a small sample of ink to test do any harm to anything?
>>
>>2381622
>>2381572
adding water rusts the nib, DONT DO IT
>>
>>2381650
Do you not rinse off your nibs, leaving them ink covered and filthy
>>
>>2381676
rinsing off damages them
>>
>>2381683
Enjoy your single shade of ink. Atleast you saved those 15 cent on not having to buy new nibs
>>
>>2377852
>coating that the nibs come with
Wait what? I have never even heard of this.

>>2381683
It shouldn't if you dry it good after that
>>
Okay so I try this burn the nib thing (after two dud matches) and holy shit, the ink flow is much better and lasts longer. So much wasted time...
>>
what about rubbing alcohol? would that work for removing coating?

also, I've heard that adding deionized (superduper filtered) water to dilute ink is fine if you dry the nib thoroughly after use.
>>
I've seen a cleaner sold for these kinds of pens in Michael's before?
>>
What's the difference between using a dip pen vs a fountain pen other than the fact that you have to dip a dip pen, is it just that you can dilute the ink?
>>
>>2385050
The differences are in the nibs and type of ink used. Modern fountain pen nibs can't flex as well as dip pens, and the ones that do flex have trouble with the feed not providing enough inkflow. Unlike dip pen nibs, fountain pen nibs have tipping material, so they're a lot smoother and will pretty much last forever, but can't go as fine as a dip pen can.
And while you can use dip pens with all sorts of ink, with fountain pens you're limited to ink made specifically for fountain pens. So dye-based inks which are not lightfast and for the most part not water-resistant, and a small number of pigment-based inks.
>>
>>2385079
That said, fountain pens are a lot more convenient if you're not doing calligraphy or anything that requires significant line variation or a specific type of ink. Grab a bottle of Platinum Carbon Black and you won't want to use a technical pen again.
>>
>>2385079
Thanks anon, I think I might try some dip pens now.
>>
>>2385079
>>2385100
and dip pens/nibs are dirt cheap and disposable with no hard feelings.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.