[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dan Warren

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: DW.png (393KB, 440x665px) Image search: [Google]
DW.png
393KB, 440x665px
What does ic think of Dan?
>>
fuck off dan nobody gives a shit
>>
>>2377642
your mom does.
>>
File: Thedarkside2.jpg (70KB, 700x575px) Image search: [Google]
Thedarkside2.jpg
70KB, 700x575px
>>2377614
dan is awesome and his friend dave is cool

didnt we have this thread before, then dan or dave linked it to facebook and every one had a laugh "who is better dan or dave? " good times
>>
>>2377614

hate the fat fuck. i hate everyone who is popular without being good though. that includes noah bradley and whole bunch of other people, list is too long to name.
>>
and sycra . he is the worst.
>>
>>2377614
i wish i could touch his bear to have some art gains. where did you get the pic from?
>>
>>2377706
i have to say, i agree with this. i'm still not sure why this Sycra guy is even known. seems like noobs like him. it's probably because he gained his audience from Youtube and not the actual industry. not to be an asshole but there's tons of upcomers doing way better stuff than his over exaggerated and boring portraits.
>>2377691
name them anon.
>>
>>2377614
Literally who.
>>
>>2377614
>Dan Warren
Never heard of him.

And, after a quick google search, complete indifference.
>>
>>2377789
asking who, the anon is.
the irony is real.
>>
>>2377783
Sycra is that guy that talks like a faggot, right?
>>
>>2377678
> "who is better dan or dave? " good times

No, if memory serves me right, that thread was "why is Dan so much worse than Dave?"
>>
>>2377796

Its not really ironic considering the very idea of anonimity is to purposefully cast away your identity.

If it was a namefag, then yea it'd be ironic.
>>
>>2377789
Dave Rapoza's friend.
>>
>>2378261

yep, this is what it was. people were really surprised at the fact that dave can be so disproportionately much better when they are such bros, study together and supposedly started around the same time?
>>
>>2378270
Still better than ic
>>
ok guy who gets in the way of his own progress and hasn't noticeably improved in years. pretty much the case study in how mindless grinding won't necessarily translate to skill. learn from him so you don't become him.
>>
>>2378272
There are lots of people on /ic/ that are better than Dan, I'm sorry you're not one of them, you must be really shit.
>>
>>2378307
There is not a better portrait in the draw thread so you tell me
>>
File: 1414390229050.jpg (58KB, 568x719px) Image search: [Google]
1414390229050.jpg
58KB, 568x719px
>>2378311
Obviously, the good artists aren't always around and I didn't say /ic/ wasn't full of beginners, because it is, but you would fit right in here, Dan. Like if you posted in the draw thread or beginner thread, no one would tell you that you're too good to be here. Maybe you'd even get a paintover from some guy to help you out with your terribly muddy rendering and colors.
>>
>>2378319
>comparing a photocopy with one from imagination
>>
>>2378311
>There is not a better portrait in the draw thread so you tell me

>>2374858
>>
>>2378332
>photocopy
>implying any of these edges and transitions were in the photo itself
>implying you know whether or not dan used reference or not
>implying a professional artist wouldnt use reference
>>
Sage

Dan is a nice guy. stop talking shit ic and get gud instead.
>>
>>2378334
>professional fine artists were hacks
>you can easily smudge a paintover
>even if he copied its still shit
>>
>>2378348
>stop talking shit ic and get gud instead.

gud? like Dan is? HAHAHAHA

>saging too bc thread is dumb as shit
>>
>>2377792
Same boat here. He seems to have a lot of technical skill at first glance though, so I don;'t get why people hate him. Sounds like people are jelly they don't come up so easy on a google search. Did he do something?
>>
>>2378357
Maybe Dan isn't the top tier artist but he's definitely on a professional level and I've yet to see evidence to otherwise.
>>
>>2378354
>its still shit

Now I know you're trolling. Good job conveniently ignoring >>2378333
>>
>>2378359
>he's definitely on a professional level

that really just means that there is no professional level. which is absolutely true. you can make plenty of dosh at any level, no matter how repulsively awful. just look at jay neylor, the furry fandom superstar.

so dan being 'professional level' means absolutely nothing. he is a shit artist, period.
>>
>>2378358
We don't hate him, why do people like you automatically assume that ridicule equals hate?
>>
>>2377614

His work is boring, forever stuck in a 90's fantasy design aesthetic. He's hopelessly mired in over detailing the stuff he draws, but the basic shape/silhouette design of the elements (armor, weapons, clothing, etc.) look like slightly improved versions mid 90's MTG art.

He's done tons of work and is competent at some technical aspects like value, color and composition but most of his work lacks even the faintest hint of "coolness factor" that would get me to pick up a game box or trading card and go: "Oh shit, sweet! Let me look at that." which I would imagine larger/better paying jobs look for in a hire. In 2016 if you're taking design tips from Mark Poole you might have a problem.

It's hard to say how his work has/hasn't improved as of late since he hasn't really posted much online in 2ish years, which is actually pretty fucken pathetic if you're making a living doing this stuff. In the one thing he has posted recently the elements are flat looking and the design is boring, he need to work on rendering his forms. It's like he can't decide if he wants go with the flat cartoony look or more of a 3d rendered look.

Honestly if Dave Rapoza wasn't his best friend I doubt he'd be doing art for a living. Even with someone of Dave's skill to talk with, push him forward, introduce him to all sorts of pros/AD's and constantly give him crits on his work he still can't seem to advance beyond this level. He's a nice guy with a lot of interesting stuff to say, I liked listening to Dave and him on streams years ago but his work is unfortunately forgettable. It's good enough to teach beginners but at this point most of the serious "students" he instructed from crimson daggers must be surpassing him.

He like most people just need to draw and paint more from life. Having lots of client work isn't an excuse for stagnating, plenty of Pro's (Dave included) forced themselves to study on the side. He's a good example for beginners on what not to do.
>>
>>2378674
>In 2016 if you're taking design tips from Mark Poole you might have a problem.
Citation needed
>>
>>2378687
Indeed. I should have specified I meant old school Poole, that's what I was thinking of in my head.

Upon further research it appears, unlike Dan, Mark has improved vastly since the days of counterspell. There is hope.
>>
File: dqtwitter.jpg (251KB, 1024x1376px) Image search: [Google]
dqtwitter.jpg
251KB, 1024x1376px
His ornate decorations are really good and the detailing he does is impressive. His human and characters are not up to the same level, which I find strange since he was doing some mentoring.
>>
>>2382792
Because he hates anime.
This is the quality of faces anime haters produce.
They shy away from simplicity, stylization and gesture and end up with dan warren tier type of 'art'.
>>
>>2382792
>ornate decorations are really good and the detailing he does is impressive.
It's just ctrl t and flip or symmetry tool
>>
>>2382792
>detailing he does is impressive

dan confirmed for cpt. autismo
>>
I think Dan is an okay guy. He seems to have some self-awareness, and he knows where he stands for the most part.

With that said, I have not once ever found a piece of his even remotely interesting. He is long-winded and often talks beyond his experience.
>>
>>2383965
>talks beyond his experience

I don't disagree, but so does ALL of /ic/
>>
>>2383965
>He is long-winded and often talks beyond his experience.

that is one thing that made me stop watching almost all of these podcasts and videos instantly. one day i realized that, particularly dan warren and sycra, have not developed one fucking bit in all the years that i went from zero to quite a bit better than them. it's like the people whose advice i took and benefited from never bothered to apply it to their own work. what - the - fuck. dan loves going into detail and sounds so knowledgeable about all these things, and they make a lot of sense when he says them. but where the fuck is it in his own work??? just kind of blows my mind desu.
>>
>>2377614
Never heard of him.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.