[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone had any experience with installation art? How to find

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

File: 1443676856182.jpg (210KB, 834x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1443676856182.jpg
210KB, 834x1200px
Has anyone had any experience with installation art?
How to find spaces?
Do artists usually work with a team?

I dont enjoy drawings/paintings that much because you can only spectate, you cant touch or interact with the artwork.
Thanks!
>>
>>2373662

Installation is so 70s. Installation and performance are the mediums of the current academic institution aka boring and 30 years behind. Gives old people a hard on, seems pretty pointless for the younger generation.
>>
>>2373662

Ask local galleries and coffee shops. Don't stop asking. Have a show in a garage or throw down some rugs and rent a tent in a parking lot if you have to. Make yourself.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 640x424px
Big installations that require a team is something you do when your an established artist. You need gallery connections to pull it off most times. Most installation artists have started out painting or sculpting then progressed into installation work. Of course you could argue the definition of "installation". You could say that any artwork that take the room in consideration is an installation piece. Yves Kleins (I think??) empty gallery was an installation because the room *didnt* have any artwork in it. I've made some installation work but they've been in connection to different exhibitions (I'm talking school exhibitions and open atelier stuff here). I do mock-ups before hand on the computer. That's a hot tip for you OP if you want to start out on installation - do them in a 3d program before you purchase expensive material!
Pic related is one of those mock-ups.
>>2373673
Jesus Christ dude
>>
>>2375022
I dont have a garage.

>>2375181
That's a really cool 3D model. What program do you use to create the mock-ups?
I'm currently in school so that can help as far as space goes.
Are you ever given money to create an installation? It seems like it can get very expensive quickly.
Lastly, did you know how to use power tools prior to making installations or was it something you learned on the way( if you do use them)?

Sorry for all the questions!
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>2376738
The previous pic was done in Photoshop, but now I use 3ds max (pic related). I haven't gotten money for installations, you usually get it with grants or by working with a gallery. This usually require a higher education, where I live at least. I advice you to keep your eyes open for construction sites etc. Visit junkyards and stuff. You can find a lot of nice materials and objects there, installations doesn't have to be pricy! As far as power tools goes, I had access to them when I attended an art school. You can probably find some workshops near where you live, where you pay a member fee and get access to their tools and an intro class or something like that. Look around online.
>>
File: GARDEN VARIETY TRASH.jpg (171KB, 640x538px) Image search: [Google]
GARDEN VARIETY TRASH.jpg
171KB, 640x538px
>"Installations"

Leave this board
>>
>join some cultural art thing promoted by the local goverment
>be only good one because the rest is old people just starting or goddamn kids
>your art stands like a sore thumb
>people ask for the faggot that made that
>appear in newspaper
>?????
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.