[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When doing gesture drawings, what's the most important thing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: dynamic-imagination-sketches.jpg (55KB, 600x493px) Image search: [Google]
dynamic-imagination-sketches.jpg
55KB, 600x493px
When doing gesture drawings, what's the most important thing to capture?
I'm currently taking a life drawing course, and I'm really struggling with getting something down on paper before the model moves onto the next pose (the model is walking across the room, so the pose is changing constantly), mainly because I don't really know what to do most of the time.
>>
>what's the most important thing to capture?
'the gesture'

Basically the idea is to get a readable mark that tells you exactly what they were doing when you captured it. While there is an art to making really appealing gestures, the appeal isn't the end goal for most. The end goal is usually having an understandable mark that you can build off of later, preferably one that captures (or as some people say, exaggerates / animates) the motion of the pose.

The pictures you showed aren't that appealing, but I think they're perfectly functional. If you were trying to draw a figure drawing later on without the model, I think there's enough information to create it from if you had a decent understanding of anatomy.

I think the big thing is getting the hang of finding a good line of action. Many poses you can capture it in one or two lines and then build on it from there. Usually for me I try to find one for the torso and then try to depict the chest and hips with two circles along that line (that sort of 'bean' method), and I find it's easier to build the limbs and head from the torso rather than build from the head.
>>
File: important stuff.jpg (71KB, 620x522px) Image search: [Google]
important stuff.jpg
71KB, 620x522px
>>2373414
>what's the most important thing to capture?

Line of action (in red), think of the shape the figure creates (blue), flow (every artist has a their way of doing it so study them all and develop your own way of doing it)
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.