[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to see a Rothko painting just once to finally decide for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

File: just.jpg (432KB, 2062x3163px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
432KB, 2062x3163px
I need to see a Rothko painting just once to finally decide for myself whether this is all bullshit or not.

Has anyone here seen one in person?
>>
>>2373166
it doesn't make a difference whether you've seen one in person or not. i did and it didn't change my opinion of it.

if you're the kind of person that thinks blocks of color is bullshit, you're still gonna think it's bullshit.
>>
>>2373166
I enjoy the ambiance of the pieces, I can just let my thoughts wander without the distraction of figures and other realistic objects.
>>
all i'm seeing is minions m8.
>>
>>2373166
looks like bullshit to me, but i can see why people like it
>>
File: 5.jpg (180KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
180KB, 1280x853px
>>2373166
nodont
>>
>>2373198
Like staring into a wall?
Seriously though, what's the difference according to you?
>>
>>2373207
for fuck's sake.
>>
They never did anything for me, not a fan of their aesthetic (im not shitposting I promise).
I never seen them IRL myself, but I can imagine how my opinion would change if I did.

>>2373207
absolutely unseeable
>>
>>2373223
It's a pretty wall
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSiu8qzHV6c
>>
I am a fan. I think seeing them in person does really help- think about it. The man was an artist for many years. He trained in observational drawing and painting at the Art Student's League, he knew what he was doing. Rather than focusing on things like details in figures or perspective, he's putting mental energy into very subtle aspects of the painting, getting the color just so, making it exactly this high and hung this far off the wall.

His most famous paintings are just big enough that they feel like they can swallow you up, not too big that they look like a wall.
>>
File: 1352949976309.png (13KB, 381x380px) Image search: [Google]
1352949976309.png
13KB, 381x380px
>>2373288
>>
>>2373306
>I don't agree but lack the capability to argue
>>
Well, there's a difference when seeing art in proper lighting and on a display in space it was meant for, I mean, some art even changes in relation to where the viewer is standing.

In this case though I guess it's just a matter of taste. Abstract art might not be for everyone. I personally like abstract stuff, at least those pieces that I saw IRL.
>>
>>2373207
You fuck head.
>>
There's a big difference seeing them in person because they're so large. He said he wanted people to get up close to them inches away. Also I think they're on paper.
>>
File: jhgfjhgfjh.jpg (211KB, 1821x753px) Image search: [Google]
jhgfjhgfjh.jpg
211KB, 1821x753px
Make the pilgrimage
>>
File: min.jpg (44KB, 512x783px) Image search: [Google]
min.jpg
44KB, 512x783px
>>
>>2373507
This is supposed to be funny or just retarded?
>>
>>2373510
kek lighten up retard
>>
>>2373543
Fuck off.
>>
>>2373283
So Rothko paintings are smudged cloudy paints with chromatic aberration
>>
File: butthurt-faggot.jpg (62KB, 331x402px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt-faggot.jpg
62KB, 331x402px
>>2373549
>>
File: art.jpg (27KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
27KB, 600x399px
>>2373166
What difference does it make? What details do you think you are missing from two blocks of color?
>>
File: 1414808351470.jpg (55KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1414808351470.jpg
55KB, 500x400px
>>2373605
>minnesota

My nig-nog.

>tfw you will never have an irl /ic/ friend to Loomis with
>>
File: 1454107446790.jpg (76KB, 1198x677px) Image search: [Google]
1454107446790.jpg
76KB, 1198x677px
>>2373605
>>2373629
awh shit my fellow loser mn bros shitposting on friday night
>>
File: 1367154945026.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1367154945026.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>2373633
I did a back trace on the image and it seems that jumping to conclusions based on a picture posted on an anonymous imageboard isn't always the best course of action. That tattoo belongs to some New York Times Columnist.
>>
>>2373629
>>2373633
Haha, had to think a few seconds to understand what you were talking about. That's not actually me, I just got it from google searching for rothko shit.
My chances of having an art buddy are even worse than yours as I live on a small city of a 3rd world country
>>
>>2373650
same here, which is why I hope someday i'll be able to atleast move in the capital
>>
>>2373507
lost
>>
>>2373605
Holy shit? Did you made that?

I am impress. $6million dollars
>>
>>2373218
easily able to see why people like it, but its absolute bullshit at that price.

>>2373605
you call it bullshit online and most people will tell you to have to see it in person.
>>
>>2373605
I give 10$ millions for that, but just if it comes with the arm too
>>
>>2373166

I've seen one in person and I get what he was going for but in a loud, crowded Museum, it's not possible.

Plus the security wants you at least 6 inches away from the art at all times.
>>
The Rothko Chapel is pretty cool
>>
>>2373221
>mucha
mon negre
>>
>>2373187
This
I tried to understand modern art but all I feel when I look at a picasso or rothko or whatever is the overwhelming sadness that this is what the art world has become and instead of 100 years of new god tier painters coming about filling up galleries with pretty pictures of the modern world we live in today all it is is bullshit

I'm not totally against the existence of all the modern art today but why did they have to replace the art of the past to make way for it? Music has genres where people can listen to what they like and there's room for all but why not art?
>>
File: just....jpg (434KB, 473x700px) Image search: [Google]
just....jpg
434KB, 473x700px
>>2373187
A block or blotch of paint on a surface is still a block or blotch of paint on a surface even if it's organised to look like something else.

>>2376922
I know, it's terrible how the modernists actively destroyed all other types of art and won't allow it in galleries anymore.
>>
>>2373507
/thread
>>
>>2373288
I've seen an exhibition of it them many years ago.
Spent my time gawping at other people thinking it they were looking at something special, when in fact they'd walked past that in order to get to the Rothkos.
>>
>>2373166
I have. Every once in a while I go sit for a couple hours by myself in the Rothko room at the Phillips Collection in Dupont Circle. It calms me down after meetings with gallerists when I have to pretend to be more of an extrovert. Feels like a temple that looks out on windows to minimalist landscapes of dream. Deamscapes, I guess. That's what they feel like to me.

I don't know much about him, and I don't really care to. I like that space though. It's a holy place to me.
>>
>>2373166
I did. It was one of his pink paintings. It was massive and glorious. and it sat right next to a Bouguereau of the exact same canvas dimensions. I wanted to high five the curator who placed those two together on the same wall.

Having two extremes of abstraction and representational in such close proximiy made each other even better. And yes, I'm capable of liking both.
>>
>>2377043
wow
it's almost as if that what you regard as special is subjective and that other people value things differently to you
>>
>>2373166
I did. Several times. Last exhibition I saw was at Den Hagen in Netherlands.
It really is fucking beautiful. But it needs time from the viewer.
Also, don't listen to all these cucks saying all modern art is shit.
They're just utterly shocked to see the technical abilities they (didn't) spent years to acquire won't get your fatass in the museums and history.
>>
I wouldn't say it's amazing art, but basic simple shapes and colors can be visually appealing. Laying paintings like these strategically throughout a waiting room can induce a very calming moos.

Shit ain't worth more than $50 though and that's being generous.
>>
Went to the rothko exhibit in houston recently, and i got this weird sad feeling the more i looked a his later stuff. Kinda like sad pity or somethin. Also not a fan of modern art, but yes am artfag
>>
It's about experiencing the static energy these monolith like paintings create. Not difficult to 'get'. And they are good at doing this. They are successful art.
>>
Yes, I have. Don't recall the exact painting, one of the "red on black", "red on maroon" pieces. Went thinking I'd hate it but it really did resonate with me, so that's that. Changed my opinion on not only Rothko but in art in general, I rarely dismiss a piece nowadays, try to give everything a fair chance because sometimes you end up loving something you think you dislike (and vice versa, but not very often to be honest.)

That is, until this motherfucker

>>2373207

ruined everything
>>
>>2383864
>Changed my opinion on not only Rothko but in art in general, I rarely dismiss a piece nowadays, try to give everything a fair chance because sometimes you end up loving something you think you dislike

you're already wiser than 99.7% of /ic/
>>
>>2375859
well its left arm so.,
>>
>>2381643
This. I was pretty skeptical of modern art until I was forced to see it in person.
It's still not my thing, but I appreciate the feeling it evokes. I'm betting this kind of art will make a comeback in the internet age
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.