[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I hear "it's never too late" a bunch, but who

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

So I hear "it's never too late" a bunch, but who are actually some artists that actually started late (mid-20s) and weren't just jobbers?
>>
It isn't ever too late, either stop being an insecure bitch baby and get on with drawing and your life or quit if you think it's so impossible.

But sure I'll play your game, this is Anthony Holden who works at story development or something at Dreamworks last time I checked. He didn't start drawing in earnest until he was 26.

http://anthonyholden.tumblr.com/
>>
>>2370066
yo dude i have a question. there was this guy i found on concept art or some website that used to work for pixar, and he did these really trippy story boards in ink of cartoon eyeballs. do you know who im talking about?
>>
File: hellboy_animated_by_cheeks_74.jpg (214KB, 648x682px) Image search: [Google]
hellboy_animated_by_cheeks_74.jpg
214KB, 648x682px
>>2370050
Sean Galloway aka Cheeks. He never drew much before he was around 28. He went into military service and served on a Navy ship for 2 years. While he was out there he had a lot of time to himself and he started working really hard on his art. When he got done with his service he came back, and started posting his stuff online. He was noticed quickly by Sony Entertainment and did character designs for them for a while, and from there he was hired to draw the Teen Titans comic, and the rest as they say is history.
>>
"If you think you're too old to draw, then you are." -Lemmy
>>
>>2370050
It's not about age, but about commitments. The older you are the more likely you are to be shoulder deep into all kinds of commitments.
Having a 9-5 job, a wife, 3 kids, friends always nagging you to hang out etc. This is the situation for many people in their 30-40s.
Another thing is relevant taste. A 50 year old might reach a good enough skill level to get hired by the time they reach 55 years old. Problem is, will they have the taste that people want to hire?
>>
Firez
>>
>>2370050
There's several students in their late 20s and early 30s among my online lectures and offline classes that tend to excel a lot quicker even among the "prodigies".

Honestly, it really is never too late.
>>
>>2370050
Anthony Jones was a plumber for 10 years, Jama Jurabaev was an electrician and quit at 40, Maceij Kuciara dropped out of uni just before he was going to graduate, sickbrush was homeless when he got his first job, Dont know any else
>>
>>2370050
brad rigney started at 28 but he gain access of NEET through his wife.
>>
>>2370877

Problem is that Jones is stealing nigger and Kuciara traces everything.
>>
Bumskee became a pro at age 28. Not sure when he started though.
>>
>>2370050
Why do people keep asking this question? Is there anything you think you can only learn in your teenage years and once you're 20+, your brain shuts down or something?

Age doesn't matter as long as you don't have any actual age related disease that makes drawing more difficult. This is not professional sports where you rely on your body's peak condition to perform at the highest level.

What DOES matter is dedication, confidence and intelligence. The fact that you even asked this question means you lack all 3 of those things. Yes, there are plenty of artists in their late 20s and even 30s or 40s who made it. YOU however will never be one of them OP, so you really should quit and look for something else to do.
>>
>>2370994
>Why do people keep asking this question?

Depression.
People think it'll take them 6 months or less to become pro, only to find out they'll actually have to work for it a month or two down the line. They feel that the young learns quicker for some retarded reason, and assume you HAVE to be young in order to obtain the knowledge of art. Funny enough, there's more young people who've attempt art and Failed than there are those who succeed. There's plenty of people out there who've been drawing for 10+ years and their art looks like complete shit.
>>
>>2370943
>Kuciara traces everything
Who the fuck cares, he gets his job don which is creating nice pictures for fags willing to pay.
>>
>>2370994
>Why do people keep asking this question?
I think it's because of "time studying to get a job" relation. You can learn programming for a year or two and get a job as junior but in art you need to study alot more to get some in-house jobs.
>>
File: 1.jpg (189KB, 1080x635px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
189KB, 1080x635px
>>2370877
Frank Cho studied to become a nurse before he was an artist. I think he's entirely self-taught too.

Pic related is an example of his art if you've never heard of the guy
>>
>>2370994

I ask because, even though I've often heard that "it's never too late", whenever I think of artists I like they're almost inevitably people who started young. It's not that I think that it's literally impossible to become a good artist when starting later in life, it just seems that it's a rarer occurrence that someone who started late will also be someone who makes art I actually like looking at, and thus would want to emulate on my own path.
>>
>>2371087
Why does it matter though? You can emulate the path of whatever artist you admire regardless when they started. Most artists go through a training phase that lasts for about 6-10 years, after which they will have developed the fundamentals, found their artistic voice, style, favorite subject matters etc. Why does it matter to you when they started that training phase?

Also, people have namedropped plenty of artists already. There is not a single one there whose work you like?
>>
File: CP5SpkTU8AA-4S-.jpg-large.jpg (106KB, 818x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CP5SpkTU8AA-4S-.jpg-large.jpg
106KB, 818x1024px
>>2371051
Plus I've seen his illustrations and they're brettygud

I don't get why concept artists are criticised for conveying concepts however they can. You know, doing their job.
>>
>>2371100
On top of that, like what this anon said >>2371001 , there's also many, many cases of those who've been drawing all their life and never get better.
>>
>>2371100
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm gonna keep drawing regardless, it's just when you're going to climb Everest it's sometimes heartening along the way to hear that someone with your background accomplished what you want to accomplish.

I think I might have been misunderstood with my use of "jobber". I don't mean as in people who got pro work, I just mean anyone who started in, say, their mid-20s and make stuff that you personally would fuck with.
>>
>>2371087
Dude I started drawing at like 5 and never stopped but a huge chunk of those years were spent on retarded anime chibis and bishies so I might as well have not been drawing anything at all.

I would imagine if you start as an adult you already know what you need to draw and don't get fixated on dumb shit, hopefully.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.