[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what to buy?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: images-53.jpg (17KB, 395x373px) Image search: [Google]
images-53.jpg
17KB, 395x373px
I need some opinions on whether to buy a Wacom cintiq 2nd hand or a surface pro for less money, I want to be able to take which ever anywhere and to be able to stream and draw at the same time. Any opinions are helpful.
>>
>>2369547
For me, I always buy equipments like this brand new rather than 2nd hand in order for you to avail the warranty it has.

Also, if you buy a 2nd hand gadget, try to buy something refurbished from the manufacturer or someone you trust.

Or , if you are patient enough, try to wait until the price drops before you buy it. Nothin bad with buying an older tech as long as it does the job.

Just my take, OP.
>>
>>2369547
depends. If it isn't a cintiq companion then you wont be able to draw on it without a laptop to power it up. The companions are like regular tablets, all others are regular monitors.
>>
>>2369547
Samsung 7 Series Slate
>>
>>2369547
Ok. I have one of each of these. Let me break it down for you.

The cintiq is, for reasons I can't quite explain, about twice as good for drawing on as the surface pro. Much easier, smoother. less awkward.

The surface pro is fine as a portable sketching tool, but it's hard to do finished artwork on it. Still it's great if you want to work on digital art outside the house.

Now, unless you get a Cintiq Companion, you will need a laptop to plug the Cintiq into, this means you will be carrying at least TWICE as much weight around with you. If you're ok with that, then go for it.

Personally, though, I believe you will make better art with the Cintiq. Not to bash the Surface Pro, it got me my first studio job, buuut the cintiq is simply nicer.

CAVEAT! My Surface Pro is 1st generation, so the newer ones might be easier to use.
>>
Surface Pro 4 still has an inferior pen to the Cintiq, but is a better tablet in every other regard;
Thinner, lighter, longer battery life, less noisy fans, higher res screen with great aspect ratio and colour accuracy, very little parallax, kickstand, keyboard cover.

It depends where you want to compromise. I still have niggling remorse that I didn't get a Wacom CC2, but I'm also relieved I don't have to worry about faulty hardware that I have to frequently send in for replacement.
>>
Surface pro 3 user (I bought 4's pen because the 3 pen sucks), I suggest getting a USB numpad and autohotkey to bind keypad shortcuts to. And if you do get one avoid the sleeve cases that hold NOTHING and find one of these...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/395530/SwissGear-Structure-Slimcase-Tote-For-16/

I got mine at best buy and I think they had a 14" version or something, which fit very nice. Has this fuzzy felt inner lining if you don't get the cover keyboard (and feel like torturing yourself), and pockets for all sorts of stuff. From experience the surface is terrible with Sai.

I've never used another device so I can't help with comparisons. I'd want to ask what version you're planning on getting of the Surface, as that can make a huge difference.
>>
The slight input lag with the Surface Pro 4 still annoys the shit out of me compared to the current gen cintiqs (27qhd I think, whatever the 27" one is).

That said, a lot of actual professionals use surface pros for their actual work so I guess if you can get over that then it's fine. Maybe the Surface Book is better, no idea, but it's probably also worth looking into
>>
what about the one that starts with a y or the huion? I've been wanting a cintiq style tablet for a long time, but I've heard so many bad things about the companion. The ciniq seems shitty because I want to lay in bed and draw, and something like the surface pro looks shitty because no buttons on the side. Somehow the ipad looks neat though no photoshop is a dealbreaker.
>>
>>2373508
I'm planning on getting the Yiynova 22U V3 sometime this spring. I made a list of pros and cons with the cintiq 13 hd and found the Yiynova was better suited for my needs. I still have the post here >>2372013.
>>
>>2373508
iPad Pro looks like a good alternative to the Cintiqs if you have a Mac or a hackintosh, you can use Photoshop through Astropad.
>>
>>2373541
I was watching that on youtube the other day. A guy was comparing the ipad pro & pencil to a Cintiq 13HD, both connected to the same computer. I was very confused at first, but when I found out what was happening thought that shit was cash.
>>
>>2373539
blegh those buttons are awful on the yiy. cintiq companion looks like the way to go for me, but I've heard too many bad things about them

it's a whole month of working for me, so I want to make the right choice...
>>
>>2369740
The Surface is similar to the cintiq in that its also a laptop
>>
>>2372993
Honestly I heard a lot of bitching about the fans before I bought mine and I honestly don't understand what the fuss is about. Ijust got mine at the end of October so maybe (MAYBE) there was an update to the fans they're using so mine just aren't as loud already, but since I doubt that i'm more likely to believe people are used to whisper quiet computers or something? I don't really understand. It doesn't bother me at all.

The only thing I dislike about the cintiq companion is the stand it came with. Hardly supports it. I bought a cheap tabletop easel though that keeps it at the height I want and has better support for like $5.
>>
>>2373682
The loud fan meme was very common among early adopters. Perhaps it has been improved. At any rate I'm glad to hear it's not bad. What about battery life? Early adopters used to complain about getting in the order of 2 hours, which would suck.
My i5 SP4 however is mostly completely silent.

If you're after a stand alternative, check out the FlipSteady cover. It's like an origami cover that folds into a multi-position stand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yud9OXzLKcg
>>
>>2373614
The buttons are not a deal breaker to me, might not even use them because I am used to keyboard shortcuts anyways.
>>
>>2369547
iPadPro homie Im havinga blast with it, fuckng brilliant and get pro create none of that sign up shit like adobe photoshop
>>
cintiqs dont even have windows 10 on them, they have god awful win 8
>>
>>2375910
so just do the free update senpai
>>
>>2376005
They're supposed to be stand alone devices that you dont need to connect to the internet
>>
>>2372778
I second this. I used to carry my macbook and 13hd around all over the place and it was ok, but it got to be a huge hassle when every i needed to carry anything else. You need a very sturdy backpack too.

So the laptop/cintiq can be portable but I think it might drive you crazy in the long run what with the weight + dealing with all the cables + having to find power outlets + looking like a weirdo setting up your entire office at a coffee shop or wherever.

In your case the surface pro might be better but like anon said, it's harder to do finished work and there's some unexplainable, satisfying quality about the wacom system that just straight up hasn't been matched by any other company save maybe for the apple pencil... but wtf are you doing if you're considering the pencil/ipad. Fuck off.
>>
>>2375910
>>2376009

If they were meant to be stand-alone devices you didn't need internet for, they wouldn't be basically computers with a tablet built in, with wifi capability. Just do the update and then you never have to connect it to the filthy internet again, the fuck you want, Wacom to do the update for you?
>>
>>2376434
wacom needs to release a new version with win10 as the stock os and have wifi / wifi + cellular versions
>>
>>2369740
with the companion how do you transfer work between computers?
>>
>>2376908
A lot of people DON'T like windows 10 and would be upset if they did that with no alternative. It's better to offer the lesser OS with a free upgrade to the new one.
>>
>>2372778
First gen Surface Pro user turned Cintiq Companion owner as well.

My buddy owns the Pro 3, and while I'm in love with the form factor, drawing feels a little mushy with the NTrig pen. I could see myself making finished illustrations with it, but probably not animations/videos/other big projects. The Companion is just a better workstation, even if it sacrifices form to do it.

Also, the Cintiq's express keys make the keyboard kinda irrelevant for drawing. I map zoom in/out to the rocker (and previous/next frame when I'm animating, otherwise, I set it to rotate), and I set the other keys to functions like shift (straight lines), Alt (color pick), and whatever key swaps colors in the program I'm using. So basically my hands never have to leave the tablet and my eyes never look away. Speeds up my workflow like crazy.
>>
>>2378221
>A lot of people DON'T like windows 10
who?
>>
File: whoooooooooooooo.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
whoooooooooooooo.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>2378395
>>
>>2378395
>who?
any non-pleb
>>
File: dd.jpg (3MB, 2280x2090px) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
3MB, 2280x2090px
>>2369547

I'm not sure how wacom is, I know it's a popular brand and I had the creative tablet.

But I recently a few months back just purchased the Ugee 21.5 in... I'm soooo in love with it.

700$, very nice, smooth, my hand hasn't slid badly against the screen, it hurt my eyes at first but adjusting the brightness it was perfect.

It's cheap and good for beginners! I'm just letting you know that the Ugee is pretty darn good imo.

The only thing that is annoying is that you gotta connect with a VGA and a hdmi as well.
Pic related
My drawing
>>
>>2378442
but plebians are the masses
>>
>>2376332
I finally got to try the apple pencil yesterday. It was very nice, but... I want to run photoshop. I don't want to run, "Photoshop lite" or whatever. I wish Apple would just be done with it and put out a FULL tablet laptop like Microsoft has. I just can't see why they refuse.
>>
>>2378857
the apple pencil doesnt even have two buttons on the side so it would be hard to control PS
>>
>>2378860

Then they need to make one with buttons! And an equivalent to the Surface Pro! Dammit Apple, get with the program!
>>
Is tabletshit worth it if you want to do actual painting? I think it'd just set you up the wrong way.
>>
>>2378885

What do you mean? Personally I find Digital painting harder than physical. You can work faster and more efficiently once you get the hang of it, but I've always had an easier time making physical art.

Digital just adds a bigger learning curve.
>>
>>2378898
if you want to physical paint, you have to have a huge setup of paints, thinners, canvases, etc.
>>
>>2378898
>harder

Fucking kek, there is no easy undo with watercolor or oils.
>>
>>2378903
>You can work faster and more efficiently once you get the hang of it
>>
should I buy a tablet? I'm still a beginner.
>>
>>2381727
no, learn how to gouache first
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.