[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing all those young professional artists out there, I feel

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 30

File: too old.jpg (88KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
too old.jpg
88KB, 580x387px
Seeing all those young professional artists out there, I feel so old. They are like 22 and already in the business for ages.
I'm 26 and just about to start my freelance career. I feel like I'm too slow, too old, spent too much time on education.
Does anyone here feel the same?
>>
File: zahness.gif (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
zahness.gif
2MB, 640x480px
>>2368424
A number of years ago I was listning to a radio show about comics,and the guest was James O'Barr,creator of the Crow. He mentioned working in a garage when he struck it "big",and said that happened at age 35. I knew there was hope for me as well. At 51 I am trying still,and the future looks bright. Keep trying! Telling your tales will eventually pay off. They NEED to be told.
>>
>>2368439
can i see your work old man?
>>
File: mdw.jpg (271KB, 2074x1028px) Image search: [Google]
mdw.jpg
271KB, 2074x1028px
>>2368439
Proud of you dad. what were you doing during your previous years? tell us your story man
>>
>>2368424
In most careers people start their career at 25-30. So get back to drawing and don't waste time.
>>
>>2368439
thanks elder dad
>>
>>2368439
The thing is, after you hit 50 your brain starts to lose about 30g of its mass per decade, meaning you'll have more difficlties with learning, but you'll become more stubborn
>>
>>2368424
I'm a teacher, I started teaching at 28 because I just couldn't make it, I studied 8 hours a day, was always feeling uncomfortable and wasn't confident about my drawings so I kepts on studying and of course nobody I showed my portfolio cared about it.
When I began teaching I didn't have time to study anymore, I just doodled here and there because you can't really stop drawing entirely if you really love it. Anyway a year later I have filled a couple notebooks full of sketches and doodles, one of these notebooks was shown around by my brother to his friends and now I have a steady stream of comissioned work for different clients private and industrial alike. Plus a steady teaching job.

I now tell my students to study less and just fucking draw more.
What /ic/ hears in this sentence is "stop studying at all and draw chinese cartoons", because you're all retarded. But in the end, nobody studies like we should in here and the way in which we study is detrimental. We devote to century old books designed to make it into a publishing industry that no longer exists. We stifle our own creativity and refuse to develop our own ways to solve images because "Loomis says this or that".
Hell, I've found retards in here that genuinely refuse to accept composition and storytelling as part of the image and think it's impossible to draw without present, static references. That's how enslaved by ancient texts this board is.

If you feel you've been studying too long and getting nowhere, drop that Loomis and start drawing for yourself. He won't get you a job, YOU will get yourself a job.
And remember that Jack Kirby was in his 40s when he gave life to most of the Marvel universe.
>>
Your brain peaks around 22 and begins to degrade at 27. It's not too late for you OP but you will need to work faster and harder than someone who started in their teens, it's still possible but be prepared for a tougher battle.
>>
>>2368578
>21 here
this saddens me greatly, but I guess its good to be aware of it.
>>
>>2368599
You know, its a bullshit
>>
>>2368613
you know what, even if its bullshit, its good to have that feeling of "on your toes" that way you'll keep drawing
>>
>>2368613
I don't talk bullshit

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5176536/your-brain-starts-deteriorating-by-age-27-say-neuroscientists
>>
>>2368576
I literally discovered this an hour before you posted it, thank you anon. I did get into Loomis for a bit because I felt that I wasn't learning anything at the college I go to. Of course I got better at some stuff and I was having fun for a bit, but now my interviews for university are coming up in the next few weeks and I'm fucking depressed because I'm back in the pool of not knowing if I'm good or not. Just now I finished a shitty drawing of a badger in a suit and I'm so pleased with myself because now my work feels like it has character. before I had a bunch of head studies and reference copies.
>>
>>2368638
So? who honestly gives a shit?
>>
>>2368424

I'm 26 and I never even draw in school, thought doodling shit was just stupid. Now I draw as a hobby, maybe in 5 years I'll still be doing this and be content with what I do.
>>
>>2368576
You are completely right. I'm just 23 and I already want to give up and become a teacher. I'm full of technical knowledge and can paint and draw very well from references, but I have no creativity whatsoever because I only keep thinking about the theory and it's very hard to let go of it. Of course you shouldn't completely let go of it, but you should ideally apply it to your creative artwork.
>>
>>2368576
>couldn't make it
>insults the people who try
Even Loomis, the shithead you're referencing, has a whole book on composition and in every book he tells you the importance of drawing from the imagination and from life over using reference photos. Shows how well you read the books if you believe they do nothing but encourage drawing from reference. Don't blame your failings on the resources you failed to use properly.

Sure, Loomis's books are dated and there are better resources available but if you're going to dismiss a good book because it contains outdated industry information then it's not hard to see why you didn't make it. A dozen times a day you can find the same good advice repeated on this board. The proper way to study, links to the best books and videos, the proper balance of study vs imagination/creativity. Despite all of that most people still won't make it.

You're a teacher so I'm sure you've seen the students who flourish and others who are left behind despite having the same opportunities. The people who fail to learn from a giant tutorial image on tumblr are no different than the people who fail to learn from the best books or the best teachers.

It's easy to blame Loomis because the books aren't the best and it's easy to hate on /ic/ but there's nothing special about this community. Most people won't make it and thanks to the internet making everything you could ever need available there's nobody for artists to blame but themselves. A good but not great series of books isn't to blame
>>
>>2368659
pls be a kind marker if you become a teacher
>>
>>2368424
I wish I had started drawing at your age
>>
File: dazzling-failure.png (196KB, 606x400px) Image search: [Google]
dazzling-failure.png
196KB, 606x400px
>>2368424
I'm 21 and I feel old as fuck. When I see people like Moebbles who is objectively better than me, and is only 16-17 years old, it makes me want to kill myself. I do understand that I would not have gotten to where I am without taking these extra 3 years at a school, but I have not learned anythingin the school that I couldn't have learned on my own. I wish I was sent back to last year of Highschool with the mindset I have today, and just live at home while grinding the fuck out of everything. My parents go all "You're just 21!" but truth is I should have been working in the field I want into since I was 18 or 19 if I was following the norm. Right now, I wont enter the industry before I'm like 24-25. All these wasted yaers.
>>
File: 355243.gif (538KB, 265x322px) Image search: [Google]
355243.gif
538KB, 265x322px
>>2368645
You, obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't have made the effort to call it bullshit.
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 485x402px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 485x402px
>>2368424
>turned 28 last week
>decide I want to start trying drawing

I don't even know why I'm bothering
>>
>>2368638
>neuroscientists
That 'research' has nothing to do with the actual study of brain, its psychological bullshit based on observation of very small group of people, seriously, you cant expect the results you got from lets say 20 or even hundred people from the whole population. Psychology isn't a science.
>>2368627
Well, it could be a lot of stress too
>>
>>2368665

how old are you
>>
>>2368697
>Well, it could be a lot of stress too
We must embrace pain and use it as fuel for our journey
>>
>>2368697
It doesn't mean that you become retarded at the age of 27, but I'm sure you know that it's the easiest for us to learn at a young age, that's just how it is. It's generally harder the later you start, but it's always doable. if you're 40 and determined, you can make within a few years, while a 20 year old is gonna keep jerking off because he doesn't value time as much.
>>
>>2368690
hey man wouldn't you rather start now and get better in 2-3 years, or be 60 years old wishing you started drawing earlier with little hope of accomplishing anything
>>
>>2368722
It's harder to learn new things when older, but it's somewhat countered by the fact that you're more motivated and disciplined than youngsters

Of course after you're 40yo the difference gets noticeable
>>
>>2368662
>Even Loomis, the shithead you're referencing, has a whole book on composition and in every book he tells you the importance of drawing from the imagination and from life over using reference photos. Shows how well you read the books if you believe they do nothing but encourage drawing from reference. Don't blame your failings on the resources you failed to use properly.
>Sure, Loomis's books are dated and there are better resources available but if you're going to dismiss a good book because it contains outdated industry information then it's not hard to see why you didn't make it. A dozen times a day you can find the same good advice repeated on this board. The proper way to study, links to the best books and videos, the proper balance of study vs imagination/creativity. Despite all of that most people still won't make it.

First, shut up you shill.
Secondly, Loomis is not the problem, the /ic/ mindset of "Just Loomis", "You need more Loomis", "Your Loomis is weak" is cultish, ridiculous and detrimental to the development of a lot of newer people who don't realize this is a meme and that actually useful study schedules have been posted around time and again.

Go to any thread looking for advice and tell them they need less Loomis and more life drawing, or that they're not getting feedback in other websites because 1:1 reference studies have zero storytelling and thus fail to draw any attention no matter how perfect they are. That composition is more important than autistically rendering anatomical features on figures that will be clothed, or that you can, in fact, draw from memory without a present reference to eyeball.

/ic/ is a ball of ego that has taken all the wrong advice and made it dogma ignoring the actual words of their religious figurehead. And people in here mostly don't make it because they refuse to put down those books and tutorials and go fail on their own until the knowledge they already have starts kicking in and they actually improove.
>>
>>2368722
Its harder to learn when you are older because you have less time than the young ones and more responsibilities, thats it.
>>
>>2368730
But a lot of people on /ic/ do make it
This is not a fucking professional art website, it's a fucking board on an animu imageboard
There are probably no more than 200, fuck, who am I kidding, 100 active posters on /ic/
And quite a few of them are at least good, 5 or so are actually great
>>
>>2368724
I feel like I'm already 15 years too late with it, but I guess.
>>
File: Andrew Loomis - 5 C's 5 P's.jpg (295KB, 1440x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Andrew Loomis - 5 C's 5 P's.jpg
295KB, 1440x1050px
>>2368730
>the /ic/ mindset of "Just Loomis", "You need more Loomis", "Your Loomis is weak" is cultish, ridiculous and detrimental to the development of a lot of newer people who don't realize this is a meme

"LOOMIS!" is basically short for "fundamentals" and it's not hard to see why for any of us that have even skimmed any of his books and those by other authors. If you read any of the books by any of the non-Loomis authors mentioned in this thread very few of them aren't 100% specialized on one or two subjects, most of them have a few tricks up their sleeve and that's it. The words of these artists generally have value but none are perfect, and that includes Loomis himself of course. For example:

Bridgman is a solid anatomist who has head construction ass backwards and terrible draughtsmanship.

Hamm's book is a chain of deviantart-style tutorials with no information about perspective, construction etc.

Vilppu is the king of gestural figure drawing and that's what you're going to get out of him for the most part and that alone.

Hogarth's stuff is often unintentionally hilarious with dancing muscle-men everywhere but he has some solid information therein, especially his "dynamic wrinkles and drapery".

Hampton's got the advantage of having a book that's been printed in full color so he's definitely among the best to look to with regards to anatomy, but he's got sameface syndome something fierce in his personal work and it translates into his book as well.

Anyway, that anon you're responding to isn't completely wrong. Many of the artists we most admire had relatively few resources to what we have today, but they were destined to "make it" because of their hard work and passion for the craft as opposed to many of the people on this board that have everything from every author at their fingertips for free..
>>
>>2368730
you need to learn to walk before you run.

shitty stick figures that tell a great story are still shit.

if you can 'autistically render anatomical features under clothing' and know the fundamentals of how to drape such anatomical features, you will do better at drawing without a reference.

/ic/ isn't a ball of dogmatic anything. 90% is beginners who know jack shit about drawing curves freehand and aren't even at the point where they're thinking about composition and storytelling yet.
>>
I wished I had began sooner. I'm 13 and my friend joey, who I'm 2 years older, has some serious scribble game. Why try?
>>
>>2368709
31, I was 28 when I started
>>
>>2368446
I do a webcomic. I should have started one a decade ago,but it's up for a few years now,and I managed to toss a new strip there a few times a month. It's not what I want to do artistically, uploading stuff from sketchbooks with minimal cleaning, but it's the compromise I've lived with for the past few years. But I am telling a story,and with each strip I try to add to the Canon of the world,even though it's surrounded by unworthy crap. A bit of imagery, an insight into a character's mind,a bit of history,a Perfect Moment. I will continue finishing the current storyline as it's been told,as Sketchbook scenes,then continue with the more produced smaller strip in the Strips section.

Yes I am older than 99% of you,and I admit that maybe 75% are better artists. But to me it's not about "better",It's about telling that tale,walking in the mysterious lands of imagination and showing the unblessed what you found there. And it's encouraging those who try,who question their skills and even their dreams. I never will say,"this SUX!",but will explain what I like about it,and point the creator to some direction. All one can do. Only You can draw like You.

51 and so much to do. I can but try.
>>
>>2368845
>if you can 'autistically render anatomical features under clothing' and know the fundamentals of how to drape such anatomical features, you will do better at drawing without a reference.
Exept people never do because people like you keep telling them they're begginers who don't know shit even after they've reached a level of competence where they could stop uselessly copying references and start practicing composition, planes and perpective, or color, or design.

Notthing but assholes and people afraid of the assholes' scorn in here. That's why all intermediate and good artists who aren't insecure shits and don't enjoy funposting have left.
>>
>>2368845
Why would I waste my time studying all this if I already have the idea in my mind and can help ground it with reference and visual library from former refs?

This 'no ref, no autism, only imagination, final destination' meme needs to go
>>
>>2368918
Fires is 31? Woah
>>
>>2368918
Wtf? I thought you were a young chap like Nile. Mad props man.
>>
>>2368678
>Moebbles
Who is Moebbles? Google search finds nothing. Did you misspell the name?
>>
>>2368578
>>2368638

Even if your brain does significantly degrade after 27, what the fuck does that even mean in practical terms? That you should stop doing what you want to do? What's the alternative, work shitty 9-5 jobs that make you miserable anyway? Maybe you're suggesting that 'old' people kill themselves because there's no hope to grow in skill and character at 30/40/50?

Yeah, I'm catching your bullshit

Fuuuuuuck you!
>>
>>2369076
Too much shit texture. Hurts my mofukkin eyes.
>>
>>2368678
actually kid, you shouldnt waste your time on art if youre 19-23. this is the time you try your luck on other things, Unless if youre getting an art degree.

wasting your youth on art is a sin, thats why great artists start really late, da vinci made monalisa when he was 46, mucha started coloring his shit when he was 28
>>
>>2369222
lefty is 30
mikufag is 39 and already have a kid
kyle is 27
>>
>>2368743
This board is shit. Quite hoenstly the worst art community on the internet.
>>
>>2369386
Dude, you're completely wrong on that. I mean seriously, how could this be considered an art community?
>>
>>2369230
Sorry, my bad, probably mixed her up with moebius or some shit.

http://mobble.tumblr.com/

She browses /ic/ afaik. While I dont really like everything she draws (her silly fucking small sketched annoy me) she has undeniably a lot of skill.

>>2369384
Why would I try my luck on other things when I have no interest in other things? You mean like trying to be a lawyer or trying to get into music or become a pro soccer player? I have literally no other thing I want to do than do art. I'll finish the art degree this year, but I'm still not ready, so I'll be grinding for some time. I didnt realize I wanted to do this before last year of High School, I wish I could go back in time and punch my game-addicted 16 yr old self in the face.
>>
I'm 18 and already earning pretty well as a colorist-illustrator duo with my 27 year old neighbor. I started drawing seriously when I was 12 because I wanted to join making videogames.

Suck it up oldfags
>>
>>2369384
Okay, this advice sounds so terrible and stupid that it's looped over into being plausible. Does anyone else think you shouldn't waste time on art at age 19-23?
>>
>>2369393
>a colorist
huehuehuehuehuehuehuehueheuheuheuheuheuh
>>
>>2368424
Your experience in the business matters. your age doesn't.

26 is nothing. I had my first job at 24 and I was the youngest in the office out of 350. Two years later there was about six people aged 20-24.

We had a concept artist join at age of 30+, he never painted for games before.
>in b4 shitty studio
>AAA game studio
>>
I just discovered a girl on fb that is absurdly good and then I checked her birth date and it said...

1998 :,-D

fucking 1998

what the fuck
>>
>>2369417
Supposedly this is a 16 year old girl.
http://viorie.tumblr.com/archive
It hurts my fucking soul. I'm not giving up on myself but damn I'm jealous.
>>
>>2369417
>>2369433
Don't compare yourselves to women, they develop the mechanical component for drawing earlier (2yo vs 5yo), they have better depth perception and generally have more patience for detail.

They also spoil like milk in the sun after 25 and unless employed under an AD or strict guidelines, paint notthing but themselves.
>>
young artist thread?
>>
>>2369433
pretty gud for a kid
>>
>>2369438
I'm a woman, so who better?
>>2369441
Yeah. It looks like she does studies too and if she keeps up with that even moderately, she'll be really damn good by her 20's.
>>
>>2369438
>women
>better depth perception
You know there are studies showing they have terrible depth perception? Its why theyre terrible driver. I heard females have better colour vision though
>>
>>2369438
Tfw womyn but with strabismus so my depth perception is non existing
>>
>>2369433
>>2369438

That doesn't impress me so much desu. Girl I meant is this: http://viciousfloart.tumblr.com/
Check out her facebook too, she has tons and tons of incredibly skillful and genuine studies. She's obsessing over Sargent at her age already, and trying to translate his feel into digital. Blew my mind pretty hard.
>>
>>2369394
nigger thats the time where youre supposed to get a degree on non related art shit

art as an industry fucking sucks because lots of people get paid literally nothing.
>>
>>2369491
She's 16 years old? Damn...
>>
>>2369491
She doesn't look 16 more like 26
I'm 2 years older and me and my peers look younger but that's probably cause we're asian
>>
>>2369491
Good stuff although I think she's running a little wild with that water tool or whatever that sai blender is called. Although if she is 18 I'm a little weirded out by the porn stuff. Not that I'm against erotic art it just seems pretty...developed for someone that young.
>>
>>2369515
16-18 is when most people start having sex, not that weird
>>
>>2369525
Look I'm old, that's the point of the thread okay?!
>>
>>2369525
When I was at that age I was still drawing ponies and pokemon. I draw pr0n only recently for $$$ but not that good
>>
>>2369386
It's actually the best because there are almost no other fucking art communities on the entire fucking internet that are dedicated to helping eachother get better and general art discussions.
>>
>>2369540
>art communities that are dedicated to helping each other get better and general art discussions.
Are you implying this is one of them?
>>
>>2369540
pls be trollin
>>
File: 6tK509.jpg (282KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
6tK509.jpg
282KB, 960x1280px
I turned 30 this month. Started drawing less than 3 years ago with a clear aim to become a concept designer. after spending first half year or so on chaotic studies/ drawings/ paintings I began to streamline and organise my training. Next month I will have my basic portfolio that will get me some kind of entry level job at small studio (maybe mobile). This way I can stop working at my current job (I work just enough hours to pay my bills and get noodles for dinner) and focus even more on improving. I learned that your improvement doesn't happen linearly, but in couple sudden rapid skill jumps. The less terrible I get, the more fun it gets. Never loved drawing this much in my life.
>>
>>2369543
so tell me about the other amazing art communities on the internet. Where the fuck are they?
>>
>>2369557
Behind the paywall.
>>
>>2369557
A lack of good communities doesn't automatically make this a good one. It's one that exists but I think most people here would say the vast majority of what goes on here isn't helpful to anyone at best and actually harmful at worst.
>>
>>2369076
Age doesn't influence taste, and yours is shit
>>
>>2369571

god... way to be a dick about it. sometimes i'm embarassed to be a part of this place.
>>
>>2369576
He is right. His stuff is shit, and hurts my eyes too.
>>
>>2369496
Are you the same guy or another person? Like the other guy who replied to you said, why try something else? Splitting your time for another thing is just going to make you miserable regardless. In addition to that, I fucking hate hearing about how the art industry sucks. We live in the age of Patreon where a shitty artist with basic social skills can earn 4 grand a month by making crap tutorials.
>>
>>2369576
>i'm embarassed to be a part of this place
What, 4Chan? For fucks sake this has always been a shithole. There are plenty of communities listed in the sticky. Go to permanoobs, go to polycount, go to deviantart if you're that desperate. You're always going to be either shit-posted or genuinely scolded for being a retard on this board.
>>
>>2368424
>26
>literally a millenial who grew up with internet
>I feel so old
fuck you faggot
>>
>>2369576
obviously you did not strive after anything appealing. what did you expect? congratulations on making the most weird shit i saw for the day. And hey at least we're honest with you.
>>
>>2368752
you're never too late

get a fucking job so you can survive and keep drawing and learning you pussy. that's your only option if you want to be an professional artist one day. every second you wait and make excuses is more time you're adding to your shit life.
>>
>>2369576
why are old people so sensitive
>>
File: 6f94913540c4997994a6ec0010c5.jpg (33KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
6f94913540c4997994a6ec0010c5.jpg
33KB, 615x346px
>>2368659
>I'm full of technical knowledge and can paint and draw very well

and humble too , you would make a great teacher...I bet you're one of those fags that know the name of every muscle in latin but can't draw it to save their life.
>>
Age is just a number, who cares. Don't let it get to you. Otherwise, if you feel like you're "too old", what else are you going to do in that time? If you wanna to draw, the only thing you'll regret is not starting sooner. Just start now.
>>
>>2369620
because they feel entitled because they're born earlier than you.Just bare with it they'll be dead soon enough.
>>
>>2369617
>professional artist

there is no such thing. only degrees of 'barely getting by' while 'treating it like a business'.
>>
File: IMAG011 (1).jpg (391KB, 1192x854px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG011 (1).jpg
391KB, 1192x854px
Oh,a lot of the early Sketchbook strips are crappy,since I was in my mind doing layouts for storytelling purposes, then after the 30th or so I realized that any content that will make it online would be of that type for the foreseeable future. Then I put more effort into them,and occasionally a bit of them shines. And I am beyond anyone's opinion, being my own foremost critic. And I can't take any criticism of my work seriously from any Anon who can't be bothered to show me some of their own work.

Hint hint.
>>
File: IMAG010 (4).jpg (362KB, 1088x784px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG010 (4).jpg
362KB, 1088x784px
>>2369577
Lemme hurt them some more.
>>
>>2369687
>>2369673
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man+child
>>
>>2369673
Just make your drawings easy to look at.
>>
>>2369673
>>2369687
I work in the video games dev industry. Why would I waste any of my work to be posted here in response to some terrible old artist who is too delusional to understand that his work is shit? Don't you understand that as soon as I post any sketch that piece is GONE? I cannot afford any of my studio work mates to see it here as a response to you. You are not worth it. Yes, I might have sugarcoated my opinion, but it was free, and it is IC after all. So, once again- your work is shit. Is it worse than average "artist" here? Probably not. But there is no excuse to be that old and not understanding you are hurting my eyes. That "busines card" is a disgrace to anyone seeing it. Panels you posted are disturbing in a very bad way. Just saw your DA: it shows how shit you are at the moment.
>>
>>2369617
[nonexistentspoiler] I already work in an architecture studio, it's less about being a professional and more about catching up to what my resume claims I can do. H-help~[\nonexistentspoiler]
>>
File: IMAG001 (3).jpg (327KB, 1227x1597px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG001 (3).jpg
327KB, 1227x1597px
>>2369692
So what makes me a Man Child,senpai?

I admit my limitations. I know my strengths. And my first post in this thread was to encourage another in their artistic pursuits to forget about their age.

And I also mentioned having to use my limited means to add content to my own body of work.
>>
I'm just turned 23 and just graduated from uni with major of advertising and communication because I spent too much time to study. I live in a place where internet is expensive as fuck since those rats above only hogs money and don't give a single fuck about the future.

I feel useless since I have no required working experience to enlist as an art director. Every company who needs a position I wanted is asking a freshman with at least 2 years experience in graphic and visual field with minimum age of 24.

My last working experience as a content planner, content editor, copywriter and social media administrator for 6 months just isn't helps me at all and I feel not fit on those jobs. Hell, maybe it's because my last employee wasn't as good as I expected or the environment wasn't supportive. I feel no satisfaction doing those jobs.

It becomes more fearsome since my major isn't preferred by employees to work as art director. My competitors are those people who graduate with major in graphic design, animation and visual communication design which are is a common belief that they can perform better than me.

Everyone in my family works for government. educational institution and science field such as nuclear engineering. I tried to be a biochemist, I failed. Tried to be an archaeologist, didn't supported by my family. Tried into cinematography and visual communication design, also didn't supported. They send me instead to a well known uni for a major I didn't like back then. In short, I was a remote controlled zombie.

Now it's just me, my working experience which is turned out to disappoint me and my drawing skill which is still inadequate since I just draw what I want to draw without any strong fundamentals since I was a child.

Then, I found /ic/ and it's sticky while I was searching Santo Lilio Sangre. I keep into it since this last week while seeking a fitting job and keep drawing since that's the last hope I have.

Keep drawing if you know what's good for you.
>>
File: IMAG002 (4).jpg (697KB, 1610x1893px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG002 (4).jpg
697KB, 1610x1893px
>>2369734
I had a game studio's art director show interest in my work,enough to offer me a trial assignment. The cyber manticore,Barbarian and back story are floating around in other current threads. This was the work that had him interested. Very old,but he was impressed by the 3d effect I managed from 2d images. It was Bethesda,and I tried there because it was close enough to my neck of the woods for me to contemplate it. Unfortunately I work 6 nights a week,and some NEET who had the time to throw 50 hours at the project got it. I am not envious,nor regretful at having to give up on that try. You do what you can,and doing what I can is what I do,and can only do.

You "could" message me a link to YOU DA stuff,through DA,no one would see.

But don't. I don't care that much.
>>
>>2369761
>Keep drawing if you know what's good for you.

Quit drawing and art entirely, if you know what's good for you.
>>
>>2369779
Okay, but later. Drawing makes me feel safe while I keep trying to get out of this shit hole. It makes me feel I achieve something although I know it's insignificant.
>>
File: flyer_by_jeremeyprickles-d9jrokr.jpg (219KB, 762x1049px) Image search: [Google]
flyer_by_jeremeyprickles-d9jrokr.jpg
219KB, 762x1049px
>>2369774
>he was impressed by the 3d effect I managed from 2d images. It was Bethesda

I kind of not believe your story. But maybe that stuff that "got him impressed" is completely different from what you posted on your DA. Pic related.

>You "could" message me a link to YOU DA stuff,through DA,no one would see.

You seriously think I would trust you on not releasing it here?
>>
File: 1373944921513.jpg (67KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1373944921513.jpg
67KB, 720x480px
>>2369757
>So what makes me a Man Child,senpai?

the fact that you're 50 and you behave like you're 17 and that you spam your ugly art out of spite. The fact you're 50 implies you should be retired by now so I don't even know what you have your time occupied by if you want to take art seriously but then complain on an online board that you don't have the means to.

It's a pretty pathetic sight to be honest and If I'm like you when i turn 50 I'd honestly shoot myself in the head and be over with.
>>
>>2369813
I don't believe he is more than 17. I refuse to accept there is 50 yo man this delusional walking this earth.
>>
>>2369076
ho lee shit, IS THAT A BUSINESS CARD?
wtf man...wtf is wrong with you to fail this hard
>>
>>2369827
That was actually an old one. I use this one recently. What's wrong with it? It shows my art ability exposing my strong points, there is a contact information and my name. You just hate me because I am better than 75% of you here.
>>
>>2369830
>I am better than 75% of you here

agreed
>>
>>2369830
Fck perspective, fuck understanding forms and volume, fuck value control, let's slap this saturated colors on it. Aw, almost forgot fuckeyes green text. Now I can call it a day.
>>
File: kek.png (24KB, 114x144px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
24KB, 114x144px
>>2369813
>If I'm like you when i turn 50 I'd honestly shoot myself in the head and be over with.
same here
>>
File: PSX_20150827_132704.jpg (2MB, 2734x3867px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20150827_132704.jpg
2MB, 2734x3867px
>>2369801
>don't

It was a long time ago,back when Half Life was the cutting edge. After the end of the second week I was just beginning to start the castle ruin in jungle when I threw in the towel. I work long hours at night and drawing time is limited. For a few.months in the late 90's I had both an evil boss and an evil girlfriend,then escaping them gave me a long commute. My answer to keeping sane was this pic,300 hours at least went into it. It's poster sized and taken from a photo on my phone. I wish I was able to have my needs taken care of like a NEET in my 20s,maybe I would be further along in art.

What I can do now is add chunks of stuff to the world,when I can.
>>
>>2369673
That's a pretty nice dragon to be honest.
But I agree with the other anons, you have bad taste. I think a lot of people from older generations that didn't grow up with computers like to throw every technical gimmick they leaned into their art without being selective. Shit like this >>2369774 reminds me of things I've seen on Second Life or this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/wendyvainity/videos?flow=grid&view=0&sort=p
>>
>>2369835
I feel bad for you after reading your story, and if it was in 90's- I start to believe it was true. Concept art was on complete different level back then. If you knew how to draw a character with a sound anathomy- you got the position. It was just a matter of drawing better than that programmer next to you.

It is your life, and up to you what you do with it. If you want to spend 300 hours drawing a picture that will never hold together due to lack of funtamentals knowledge- do it. I'd recommend studying perspective to begin with. You are persistent, I bet you'd improve in couple months if you put this much effort into learning fundamentals.
>>
>>2369835
neato
>>
>>2369830
>You just hate me because I am better than 75% of you here.
Who says I hate you? I'm a different anon. I just...man, don't understand how you view the world now to the point of disgust. Do you have any plan to whom your drawings will be marketed?

>>2369824
He is 49 years old
>>
>>2369840
Dragons have anatomy too. That one is fucked up. Look at it's claws. It's head would look much better if that big eye was gone and it was put where it's nostrills are. I already pointed out he doesn't understand perspective and lighting, so let's just leave it here.
>>
>>2369845
>Who says I hate you? I'm a different anon. I just...man, don't understand how you view the world now to the point of disgust. Do you have any plan to whom your drawings will be marketed?

I will make a buck out of my fans. Every strip is worth at least 300$, I can make 15 a month easily. So screw you, you are all bitter NEET's that cannot cope with some old man being so much ahead of you. There is one think I regret- I should've pretended I am 20, you would praise me if I did that.
>>
>>2369846
It's just my opinion. If you look at it objectively I'm sure you could find a thousand flaws. The texture of the scales is what caught my eye, it's interesting.
>>
>>2369851
Well, it's the best out of what he posted, I agree. Still it falls apart when reality checked. I just wish he got out of his bubble and started improving. I feel sorry for that man, I am serious.
>>
I actually really like your stuff grandpa. You clearly lack some fundamentals, but your work has it's own little charm. I'm not saying this to be funny or 'baiting' like other anons will claim, I really mean it.

And I'm pretty sure I'm far above the average skill level of people itt.
>>
>>2369850
>thing
ftfy gramps.

>bitter NEET
Ah that old image of 4chan is coming back again.

>thinking that by pretending to be young means a lot of praise
Nuh uh, sorry but afaik /ic/ isn't a sweety bitsy hugbox.
If it's shit, then it is. Rather than ranting and defending, it'd be better to ask for help on how to improve to them. If they who think yours is shit cannot give any positive input for improvement, well...forget em.

Some anon here have give some feedback such as advised you to learn fundamentals, make less texture and learn perspective but you still defending your artworks, gotta agree with this guy though >>2369852 about improving.
>>
>>2369874
>Some anon here have give some feedback such as advised you to learn fundamentals, make less texture and learn perspective

That guy is me

>>2369852

This one as well.
He doesn't care IMHO. He needs to realise if he wants to play with it (in that case he can do whatever he wants including going the path he is atm), or actually thread it as a serious challenge (learn fundamentals). I hate to watch people waste their time the way he does. I wish he understood that.
>>
File: op2.jpg (29KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
op2.jpg
29KB, 223x226px
>>2368424
Just do or don't do it.
>>
>>2369830
That wasn't "me" saying that. I said that 75% were better than me. That pic was for posters I used in Second Life to advertise.
>>
>>2369888
welp, it's too late m8.
The bait has been eaten.
>>
File: IMAG001 (2).jpg (57KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG001 (2).jpg
57KB, 512x512px
>>2369830
That was used as aneeded ad for Second Life rental boards. And stop trying to stir shit up by impersonating me. You contradict what I wrote previously. I know 75% are better than me. And I know the Sketchbook strips are unsellable,they weren't supposed to be. They were just to tell a story that started as a random drawing that somehow blossomed into this story. To generate traffic,and return traffic. On some level I am accomplishing my goal,and every strip is an education.

So should I STOP trying? Go drive a truck or something? I won't. I can't. The story needs to be told. So don't read it.

Not doing it for "you",angry nameless and aimless. I do it for Jeremey. And to find out What Happens Next.
>>
>>2369915
woah, so I was right >>2369840 I knew it, your art gives off some strong second life vibes man. you are the embodiment of weird SL art.
>>
>>2369915
>So should I STOP trying?
No, keep going.

>Go drive a truck or something?
Sure, whatever makes your life good gramps

>Not doing it for "you",angry nameless and aimless. I do it for Jeremey. And to find out What Happens Next.
I don't really care though. Keep drawing and try to do what this >>2369884 cranky anon suggest you. It'll helps, I believe.
>>
>>2369915
>second life

Ooohhhhh dear
>>
>>2369915
>That was used as aneeded ad for Second Life
it's all coming together
>>
>>2369642
This, I mean I have the luxury of being a 23 year old NEET to say this but seriously if you're not doing it for you then quit. There's not an age limit for art unless you're like 75 or something. Like this anon said you sound like a fag complaining about feeling old when you're still under 50 >>2369614

Some of you just want the praise of "oh so young, so talented~~~" but not everyone can have that exposure so early so fucking chill out and draw goddamn... I know how you feel cause I went through the same feels but seriously, get over it quickly because it's just a waste to not draw anymore because you're not a teen and famous. You'll regret it hard when you're actually old.
>>
File: IMAG007.jpg (120KB, 912x489px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG007.jpg
120KB, 912x489px
>>2369972
Oh,don't knock Second Life. ...it held me spellbound for years. It's a creator's paradise,and unlike the tedium of drawing it can be fun. This is a place I made:custom textures based on a photo of ice,gardens of fractal flowers,streaming New Age music for people to dance or chill out to,and my store where I sold animated paintings. For a non NEET who wanted a social life after 6 nights a week,it fit the bill. Haven't been there for a few years,but still cherish the time spent.
>>
>>2369977
Let's not forget there's also A LOT of cases where the young never get any better. There's people out there with +10 years of drawing experience, and are still complete garbage.
>>
>>2368439
I think Mike Mignola started to become hyper popular around his late 40's or something.
>>
Okay,here is a page from an established webcomic that I read regularly. He has a huge following,merchandising and forums filled with people happy to discuss and dissect his work. It's what I want,ultimately. But it's Stick Figures. And great writing. Opinions?
>>
File: 9645.jpg (210KB, 958x570px) Image search: [Google]
9645.jpg
210KB, 958x570px
>>2368424

Don't care too much about the discussion going on but this pic really inspired me and I want to try to do something in that style... sort of a fairy exploding out of a flowery thing.
>>
>>2370095

You'd better go to /lit/ and /tg/, the reason why Rich has such big following is because he really knew a lot about DnD, had a good, witty humour and storytelling that established plothooks very, very early on to be used a lot later. Rich could reference something that appeared 300 pages ago and it wasn't bad/forced, more like completed storytelling.

Also if it comes to webcomics and storytelling in such limited medium - composition is very important.

Go read this:

http://www.floobynooby.com/comp1.html

and then this:

http://floobynooby.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-1.html

Also it's not possible for you to be like Burlew. He is quite intelligent and he does it for like 10 years without stopping.
>>
>>2369757
Keep doing what you're doing, Anon. /ic/ just likes to bring people down. Even people that try to encourage others, when their art has the audacity to not be 100% flawfree~ or isn't where they'd like it. Like crabs in a freaking bucket.
Keep doing you.
>>
>>2369872
>>2369872
>>
Yeah, you're too old so you should just quit. There's no point in putting the next half century of your life to good use. Just dig your grave now and lay down in it.
>>
File: Ptf.png (2MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ptf.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
/mu/ fag signing in,

Just go on there for soundcloud threads really. My artwork is created by some artist I forgot the name of... [pic related]

Should I make my own art? I'm not really the artistic type
>>
>>2369214
who says you need to? I was simply mentioning it because that what the post I replied to mentioned it.
>>
>>2369438
>they have better depth perception
lmao they have shit depth perception and never grow out of it.
>>
>>2370146
>Anon. /ic/ just likes to bring people down.

The saying is mercy loves company, and the majority of people who browse /ic/, and 4chan in general, are socially inept young adults who've never held a solid day job in their life.
>>
>>2370570
misery*
>>
File: 1434740196865.jpg (127KB, 300x393px) Image search: [Google]
1434740196865.jpg
127KB, 300x393px
Reflecting on his delayed success,[Abe] Vigoda once remarked: “When I was a young man, I was told success had to come in my youth. I found this to be a myth. My experiences have taught me that if you deeply believe in what you are doing, success can come at any age.”
>>
>>2370656
Actors who started acting in their 30s or later
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056459095/
>>
>>2369673
>>2369687
You can't hide your shit lack of design, perspective, color, shading, shadows, etc, by making everything fucking ball point pen scribbled. Can't even tell half the shit you draw has an eye or any kind of expression. You lack what an artist should do, which is insight conviction. All you give me is a headache.

Don't quit McDonalds anytime soon.
>>
File: page5_bet smalla.jpg (1MB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
page5_bet smalla.jpg
1MB, 1000x1500px
>>2370677
You're right. I shouldn't be doing that.

<----THIS is what I should be doing.

I am forced to draw and upload directly from sketchbooks because I have been stuck for two years in waiting rooms,bowling alleys and other places that are NOT home for hours dealing with life. The skechbook stuff is what I can manage when stranded in odd places for hours at a time. Its better than nothing.
>>
>>2370677
I think it looks pretty cool to be honest, family. A lot of his stuff might be pretty goofy looking but at least he's giving it a go even if he's way late to the party.
>>
>>2370132
none of your copy paste bookshelves fit perspective properly, neither does that desk in the foreground. looks like shit would be sliding off it
>>
File: tp3[1].jpg (209KB, 795x1023px) Image search: [Google]
tp3[1].jpg
209KB, 795x1023px
>>2368439
I don't think Toppi did anything of note until he was in his 60s and I'd argue that he was one of the greatest illustrators of all time. I'm proud to have you as a contemporary Mr. Anon.
>>
File: SeriesOne Strip 2_final.jpg (391KB, 1024x366px) Image search: [Google]
SeriesOne Strip 2_final.jpg
391KB, 1024x366px
When I started the website,the strips were going to be like this one: all elements seperately drawn,processed and assembled in photoshop,about a week to produce from start to finish,and "good enough" to collect into book form with additional material. Life sidetracked that plan. I'll get back to that series after I finish the Snowglobe one. And I can only imagine what those strips would have been like if I managed to generate one a week. I was trying to recapture old skills back then with this strip,but it will happen again. And does this sort of strip solve some of the glaring problems of the sketchbook stuff? Of course it does. And practise will take care of the rest.
>>
>>2370132
Here's a pdf version of the first link as well as the 3 parts of that second link. I hate when good resources disappear

https://mega.nz/#F!tE9gzTYY!-gVM4fqGmr0DAKj0M2T35Q
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.