[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Murata drew this whole page in less than 4 hours
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 36
HOW
THE
FUCK
>>
>>2363061
I saw him on one of his streams
>Draws non-stop
>Listens music in the background
That's it
>>
Git

Gud
>>
*yawns*
>OP is a faggot
Lern 2 quickly summarize a scenario or drawing.
>build your 'grid' for perspective
>juxtapose objects of interest
>finalize textures and details

Although, I do admit, that's a dopely detailed drawing for 4 hrs. Good building perspective (likely a pre-made, traceable template) and good flowing motion of the ONE subject in this scene: a fantasy centipede.
>OP considers this speed drawing high art bc One Punch Mahn
>see first greentext
>>
Link to the recorded stream?
>>
>>2363104
Post you work :)
>>
>>2363117
Challenge accepted faggot
>>
>>2363123
That's horrible
>>
>>2363061
>Murata drew this whole page in less than 4 hours
then the scanlating guy spent 5 hours redrawing the section just to get the "GIANT CENTIPEDE TIDAL WAVE"

LIKE FUCKING POTTERY
>>
>>2363123
you need to practice figure drawing
>>
>>2363123
I like it for what it is. Don't mind the 2 other losers.
>>
>>2363300
Like what?
The unclean lines? The stiff poses? The lack of line weight or originality? The fact he's using basic shapes for everything? The off perspective? The horrible anatomy?
This is beginner who spends way too much time on 1 drawing tier.
>>
>>2363137
>then the scanlating guy spent 5 hours redrawing the section just to get the "GIANT CENTIPEDE TIDAL WAVE"
Oh that's what redrawers do. Always wondered
>>
>>2363306

I like it "for what it is"--a childish drawing. Can you not read?
>>
>>2363313
"For what it is" means nothing unless you say what it is.
>I like Michaelangelo's art for what it is.
Is not the same meaning. Considering you're talking down to the 2 people saying it's bad, the implications become that you think his drawing is good, and it is absolutely not.
>>
>>2363319
>Is not the same meaning.
A picture is worth 1000 words. You can look at Michaelangelo's art and say "I like it for what it is" and people will understand you. Same with the anon's art; it may not be technically impressive in terms of skill but you can see passion. The fact that he posted his work was admirable as well.
>>
>>2363332
>look at one of polok`s works
I like it for what it is
>>
>>2363332
>passion
Oh I didn't realize we judge art by how hard they tried and not on the skill.
>>
File: 1422507385787.png (4 KB, 312x315) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1422507385787.png
4 KB, 312x315
Literally who?
>>
>>2363624
If you don't know murata you should probably just leave and never draw again.
>>
>>2363624
draws one punch man the manga, it's the new cool thing and there are already 12 anime episodes out. It's okay
>>
>>2363626
I have no time for the internet, kiddo
I work my ass off all day and the little hours I have left, I'm drawing and checking e-mails, I check /ic/ 2 days per week only
I don't know why you took my question as an offense tho, I asked it only because the art looks good.

>>2363663
Thanks for explaining, I'm not really into animes but the art looks good
>>
>>2363626
>if you don't know some shitty anime you should just leave

Sure, anon. Sure.
>>
>>2363626

Said the faggot who probably doesn't know about guys and gals such as Tsutomu Nihei, Kaoru Mori, Takehiko Inoue, Hiroaki Samura, Kokou no Hito or Q Hayashida.

Go eat a dick or two like you always do.
>>
>>2363626
>>2363626

fucking weaboos leave
>>
>>2363626

>if you don't know some random animu artist you should never draw again
>>
>>2363717
>Tsutomu Nihei
mah nigga
>>
>>2363717
>Murata, Tsutomu Nihei, Kaoru Mori, Takehiko Inoue, Hiroaki Samura, Kokou no Hito or Q Hayashida
literally who?
>>
File: aimimg_15.png (1 MB, 1037x488) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
aimimg_15.png
1 MB, 1037x488
>>2363717

WEEB WAR!
>>
>>2363781
what's the name of this painting? i need it as a wallpaper
>>
>>2363123
Pretty pathetic dog
>>
>>2363066
he streams? where
>>
File: 8776678.gif (189 KB, 109x160) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
8776678.gif
189 KB, 109x160
>>2363123
>>
>>2363123
>What is an interesting pose
>What is appropiate use of line weight
kek
>>
>>2363794
phryne before the areopagus
>>
>>2363903
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/81691988
>>
>>2363123
How fucking much does one have to suffer from Dunning Kruger Syndrome to look at a Murata manga page, say "yawn" and then post crap like this?
>>
>>2363061
What are 3D modelos?
>>
File: 145193921856.png (424 KB, 773x636) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
145193921856.png
424 KB, 773x636
>>2363123

>Seriusly anon
>>
Serious question lads, what type of pen or marker does murata use when he draws?
>>
>>2364078
> drawn traditionally
> 3D models
>>
>>2364353
hard round brush.
>>
>>2364359
yfw you can see him all this stuff on stream with his pen

>>2364353
taped up chopsticks with a pen tip and ink, Im serious
>>
>>2363123

not bad but what the fuck are you thinking.
>>
File: 1453437083804.png (1 MB, 600x795) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1453437083804.png
1 MB, 600x795
>>2363061
Murata draws the best semen demons
>>
>>2364503
i love his gouache paint style remind me of non digital shirow
>>
>>2364503
>>2364515
His colored drawings are incredibly smooth for traditionnal works, it's insane.
>>
I can imagine his approach to that drawing. A lot to hold in your head to spew it forth at one go,but being used to drawing full time at speed is fundamental to accomplishing the feat. Plot out where the main figure is,cram in background in the negative space,and alow for the overlayed lettering,and you are 2/3 done. The rest is crosshatching and texture.
>>
>>2363123
I literally looked at this for about a minute focusing at stuff in the foreground before I noticed the giant scenery-destroying mech in the background.

Not a good sign, anon. Economy of detail.
>>
>>2363692
>no time for the internet
>kiddo
You are an idiot, that's all.
>>
>>2363692
> manga art
> "I'm not really into animes"

Retard.
>>
>>2366401
>>2366445
>weeb cucks
>>
>>2363692
>>2363713
>>2363727
>>2363728
>4chan
>>
Link to the stream where he drew this, pls.
>>
LuVisi claims he did this in two.
>>
>>2366501

How can you even compare a screencap study with a 3 point perspective inked drawing from imagination? Are you literally missing a brain?
>>
>>2366501
by photobashing perhaps.
>>
>>2366501
not only is this a lot easier to do since you're working with brushes, and values, but it's a fucking study.

Murata had to literally create everything, draw everything line by line, add movement effects etc. that study isn't even worth a 10 mins drawing from murata anyway.
>>
>>2366525

Because painting from a photo is soo hard. Don't get me wrong, it is by no means bad for two hours, but it's hardly a amazing feat.
>>
>>2366501
> LuVisi claims he did this in two.

Looks pretty bad and dirty for a 2 hour study desu. What's your point? I'm giving you the benefit of a doubt here because there is no way someone would actually be stupid enough to believe doing a shitty digital photostudy, even if it took the artist 2 minutes, is somehow a more impressive feat than Murata doing a fully inked splash page in 4 hours.
>>
>>2366501
beginner spotted
>>
>>2363123
didn't you start a thread looking for critique because you're new?
>>
>>2366398
seconding this.

challengefag you are nowhere near the visual storytelling power of murata
>>
>>2366523
>3 point
>the 3 point buildings barely take up 40% of the whole image
It's can barely notice the 3 point because of that fact. Therefore it' wasn't that difficult.
>>
>>2366950
40% is a lot, retard.
>>
>>2367054
Looking at it again, it's 30% to be perfectly honest. So little that it's not even worth mentioning you unskilled pleb.
>>
>>2367158
how fucking bored are you? you're sick man. stop jerking off and go draw something
>>
>>2363123
Needs some line modulation...if you gave the mech a thicker outline, it'd 'pop' and so become the focal point - kind of like you did with the left tank the mech is crushing (or if the focus is supposed to be the lego pilgrim guy at the front, thicken his outline to create a focal point to say hes the important feature and the background is just general mayhem
>>
>>2363123
> when you're so bad that it derails the thread
>>
>>2366635
post your work please
>>
>>2366501
that glass is crooked
>>
>>2370923
I have no problem posting my work, but for 1, I would like to know what that would prove, and 2, what point you are trying to make. Are you disagreeing with my statement that this Luvisi study looks muddy as fuck? Or are you disagreeing with my statement that a photostudy is a much easier thing to do than a fully inked manga / comic page?

Give me some information as to why you want to see my work and what it will contribute to this argument and I will post it. If you can't do that, I will have to assume you are simply mad because I'm right and you want to get back at me by calling my art shit.
>>
>>2371002
this is the least skillful dodge I've seen yet
>>
>>2371021
What am I dodging? I'm asking you concrete questions. Just answer them and I will post my work.

1: Are you disagreeing with my statement that a photostudy is a much easier thing to do than a fully inked manga / comic page?

2: Are you disagreeing with my statement that this Luvisi study looks muddy as fuck?

3: What would you seeing my work add to this discussion?
>>
>>2371061
You're dodging posting your work

Pussy vagina cuntling cowardbaby 2 afwaid of big bad /ic/
>>
>>2371076
how bout you post yours faggot?
>>
>>2371076
I told you, I'd have no problem posting my work if you answered my simple questions and gave me an explanation how posting my work would add to this discussion.

Right now, all I see is that you are mad at me because I called you an idiot for thinking a shitty photostudy is more challenging to do than that Murata manga page. You want me to post my work so you can completely bypass this argument and just insult me directly, because you know I'm right.
>>
>>2371086
post your work because you're calling a two hour study shitty when you'd be unable to accomplish its level of quality in a hundred

go on, post your stuff and prove me wrong
>>
>>2371127
Garbage is garbage and some anonymous guy on the internet being even worse doesn't make the garbage any better.
>>
>>2371154
Thank you for proving me right, at least you admitted it
>>
>>2371156
Not the same guy, retard. That Luvisi study is shit, deal with it. People rightfully called you out for being a fucking idiot to even compare Murata doing a manga page in 4 hours to some shitty photostudy. Now you are butthurt and desperately want to get back at one of the many people who called you out on your retardation. You're never gonna make it.
>>
>>2371156
>>2371265
Will you two faggots just shut the fuck up and go draw something? I dont even want to see EITHER of your works if this is the type if bullshit you try to pull.

You're both probably just chronic procrastinators and would never be able to draw anything close to Murata's skill level. Stop polluting my thread.
>>
>>2371275
>le neutral wise guy who doesn't follow the discussion but knows everyone but him is stupid

kill yourself.
>>
How does Murata actually draw those environments, most notably buildings? Does he copy from reference or does he just pull it out of his arse like the rest of that godly shit?
>>
>>2371317
Not to downplay murata, but the buildings aren't the impressive thing there. It's just various sized cubes in perspective, all pretty generic.
>>
>>2371317
There's a poin whereit becomes in of instinctive.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 277x182) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 277x182
>>2363123
This style reminded me of Him.
>>
>>2371317
>implying im a guy

Get out of my face little boy.
>>
>>2363123
This is good but god I fucking hate this weird cartoon character meets destruction/somewhere where they don't belong style/theme. Fucking goddamn internet.
>>
File: 1410339726878.jpg (5 KB, 180x279) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1410339726878.jpg
5 KB, 180x279
>>2363123
>>
>>2363104
>>2363123
Has to be b8
>>
File: moebius_2 (1).jpg (549 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
moebius_2 (1).jpg
549 KB, 1024x675
>>2372025
Take this please
>>
>>2363061
This drawing gave me eyegasm.. I couldn't take my eyes away for good 5 minutes. but it's fucking ruined with shitty caption.
>>
File: image.jpg (687 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
687 KB, 1720x1236
>>2363061
Not even the best page of this arc/Elder Centipede anyway.
>>
>>2372780
Fucking Christ.
>>
>>2372780
one day maybe
>>
>>2363123
are we supposed to be impressed by this?
>>
File: otoyomegatari.jpg (588 KB, 1373x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
otoyomegatari.jpg
588 KB, 1373x1000
>>2372785
>>2372791

See what detail does Kaoru Mori draw and inks in half an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfENoePp36o&index=1&list=PL9A855710205B3C8A
>>
>>2375394
she have been doing this for years and years and years, it's her comfort zone and it's what she's really good at
mileage is everything, still looking amazing tho
>>
>>2363061
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1
Watch and find out.
>>
>>2371002
Shut up and post your work.
>>
>>2371293
he is right
>>
>>2375394
what the fuck
>>
File: 1435006425278.jpg (1 MB, 2203x2934) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1435006425278.jpg
1 MB, 2203x2934
>>2375394
fuck me
>>
>>2375394
>all that skill
>using it to draw animu

Breaks my heart a little bit desu
>>
>>2375770
It's like some people enjoy to draw what they like and pursue to continue enjoying it and eventually turning that into a skill or something.
>>
>>2375775
Yeah but it makes you think. Modern/Contemporary art is garbage, and this is what 'we' will be remembered for. There are plenty of skilled artists but a lot of them just confine themselves to the entertainment history. They will never have an impact on Art itself.

>tfw the 'great' artists of my time are all hacks who just splatter paint on a canvas
>>
File: 28.jpg (471 KB, 1751x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
28.jpg
471 KB, 1751x1200
>>2375799
> There are plenty of skilled artists but a lot of them just confine themselves to the entertainment history. They will never have an impact on Art itself.


So real art is "no fun allowed"?

They're the best ones because they don't care about stupid shit. And Murata is still pretty popular thanks to OPM's own popularity, but artists like Yoshikazu are doomed to be forever never known because this manga is still way too looked down on.


Most of my favorite artists are unkown as hell. They're still my goal in life.
>>
File: cover story.jpg (557 KB, 1080x1540) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
cover story.jpg
557 KB, 1080x1540
>>2375770
>>2375799

Btw, she also has homo tendencies and likes drawing asses and maids.

It's like that anon that has skill but uses it to draw energetic, giant muscle lolis smashing cities with their overgrown asses.
>>
File: 160.png (410 KB, 1112x1600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
160.png
410 KB, 1112x1600
>>2375826
B
A
S
E
D
>>
File: 1396198798854.gif (334 KB, 454x388) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1396198798854.gif
334 KB, 454x388
>>2375826
>giant muscle lolis smashing cities with their overgrown asses.
>>
>>2375824
I probably have more of a problem with Contemporary art and the plebs who like that shit. It just makes me depressed that a lot of people with talent don't chase true mastery (or what I perceive as mastery) anymore.
>>
>>2375855
Don't you love it how the only people with a semblance of skill nowadays mostly come from the trade camp (illustrators, comic book artists etc) and not from actual fine art camp.
>>
>>2375855
This is interesting, but it's obvious why: art is so accessible in the 21st century. I could go out and buy a print of a nice print of some top level art to hang on my wall, for a few bux. I can look at the greatest art in human history from my browser at home for free. Art as an ornament, as a physical object is devalued. Any image, no matter its quality, struggles to stand up on its own merit in such a glut of content availability. Representative art has been killed by photography as the medium of choice for portraiture. So what is left with merit? Illustrators and comic artists are among the few cases. Illustrators are needed for the same reasons they always have been, that hasn't changed - comic artists are illustrating a story, which allows the art a vehicle to hold your attention. Art hasn't changed, so much as people's value placed upon art has changed.
>>
>>2375826
>/u/fag

dropped
>>
>>2375899
To expand slightly on what I was trying to say, it's that we aren't seeing as many skilled artists in the conventional sense as we would have before, because conventional portaits, landscapes etc have so little financial value and desirability compared to the past that producing them has very little career viability now. The less artists getting paid to create, the less greats there will be.
>>
>>2375905

She's not /u/, just pervert. Her Otoyomegatari is a tale of straight shotacon near Aral Sea in XIX century or so.
>>
>>2375921
She is gay and a faggot.
>>
>>2375855
it's modern western nihilism that led to the devaluation of art desu, nothing you can do anything about

i heard nietzsche foretold that the west would reach peak nihilism in 200 years, so only about a hundred years to go before things start getting better
>>
>>2363310
redrawing is usually stitching pages together so they look seamless and removing text so you wouldn't know it was there in the first place.

use to do this shit for projects i wanted but had no one to do it... the groups demanded better than professional results, so its hard to not understand how people would be hesitant to work for free with pro skills being demanded.

fucking hated every minute of it because i knew damn well they were sitting on translations and not releasing anything because they wanted you to remove a piece of japanese text that takes up 1/4th the page, then redraw everything underneath like it was never there to begin with.

i could easily clean a book for text in under an hour but fucking "remove every piece of japanese text" and "this isn't good enough, do it better" killed all interest for me doing this.

>>2363061
did he do the shading (cant remember the term) or was it just the line work? for the line work, this is a cylinder that curves, not to hard, the legs are mostly the same just different positions, not ot hard, and the buildings are not exact things just boxes with details.

i can easily see someone who knows their shit doing the line work in 4 hours, the shading... knowing how the japanese do this for printing, that's a bit harder to say how long that would take.
>>
>>2375949
>so only about a hundred years to go before things start getting better

This is why i'm an alcoholic
>>
>>2363123

Tep kok
>>
>>2375824
>artists like Yoshikazu are doomed to be forever never known
He gets thousands of views on his youtube drawing videos

Just because he's not known outside of /a/ in the english manga community doesn't mean he's a poor unknown artist. A guy that has their work being published every month has much greater footing than some doujinka who just releases a mag or two at comiket.
>>
murata has some incredible visual imaging. it's how he can do those killer animatics, too - dude obviously has really good mental imaging, and can translate that to paper. 3d program in his head.

whether it's an innate talent or can be a learned skill, i don't know. certainly, better mental imaging can be picked up, and a lot can be compensated for nowadays with actual 3d programs to speed work up, but i'm personally somewhat doubtful the average layman can reach murata's level off of grind alone. might just be his particular type of brain.

still, it's not like he's an unassailable god-king, because his personal stories aren't particularly noteworthy. he's a fantastic artist, but he wouldn't be able to keep the audience he has without interesting and compelling subjects. that's why he sticks to writers. maybe it's a trade-off.
>>
File: IUQAKRN.jpg (417 KB, 1463x956) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IUQAKRN.jpg
417 KB, 1463x956
>>2377123
On the topic, ONE himself is a living example that when it comes to entertainment, good writing and strong visual storytelling will trump amazing art every time.

People will read amazing-drawn-shit-story for a few chapters, but they'll stick to shit-drawn-amazing-story all the way.
>>
>>2377196
Well, that's pretty obvious. "strong visual storytelling" is part of the "art" though, which ONE is good at while he suck when it comes to technical skills along with being lazy for details.

Still, Murata does improves a lot OPM. But it's true he still just a "bonus".

I would keep reading a shitty story with amazing art, but that's because I'm a drawfag and always interested by good drawing techniques. Most people aren't.
>>
>>2377077
> He gets thousands of views on his youtube drawing videos

You seriously considers that's much? He has great reputation on /a/ and /ic/ but it's still really, really limited.

Meanwhile this gets 20k views :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNv0EjADVyg
>>
>>2377196
Except OPM didn't become a sensation until it had good art, so that kinda torpedoes your theory
>>
>>2377196
>Mangafox
CASH-U-AL
>>
>>2377329
Uh, the reason Murata remade it in the first place was because it was its own little phenomenon in Japan.

It didn't become a sensation in the WEST, no, but it was popular enough that ONE was serializing and publishing two other series off the offers of publishers with his good storytelling and shit art before Murata even touched OPM. Which one of those series is getting an anime by Studio Bones on its own, no Murata involved.

Level up your weeaboo before you try being the smug little bitch about weeaboo shit, anon.
>>
>>2377329
Except it was retard, for a japanese webcomic it was popular as fuck.
>>
>>2377467
>Which one of those series is getting an anime by Studio Bones on its own, no Murata involved.
It's getting a series because OPM got a series that became popular because Murata was involved.

>Murata does OPM
>Madhouse makes a great anime for it, likely out of respect for the art as much as the story
>It's successful
>Let's jump on the gravy train and make another ONE anime since the last one was so successful

You can not have that chain of events without Murata in the same way you can't have the chain of events without ONE.

It's one thing to say the original was becoming "it's own little phenomenon" in Japan but then again what doesn't? Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame.
>>
File: 1436480581570.png (18 KB, 452x363) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436480581570.png
18 KB, 452x363
>>2377494
>
It's one thing to say the original was becoming "it's own little phenomenon" in Japan but then again what doesn't? Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame
Lmfao, "what doesn't"? Are you out of your mind? Make a webcomic then we'll talk
>>
>>2377498
Fuck, typo. First line was obviously meant to be greentext.
>>
>>2377494
Call me when your webcomic gets one million of views. Oh, and only with ONE tier drawings.
>>
>>2377498
>>2377503

You seem to be missing the point, and proving my own at the same time. Something's popularity is not determined by quality or anything of that nature. Things become popular, ONE included, largely by chance that leads to a snowballing effect. The only reason why either of you know about it is because you've had it shared to you by other people who had it shared to them and so on. Once something has the good luck to get noticed, it needs the good luck to get traction, and then the luck to become popular, and then it will largely become self sustaining as it grows in popularity as more people learn of it and share it. ONE, OPM, the manga and the anime are proof of that. You talk as if it being a webcomic made it obscure but in fact it likely helped its viral status by making it easier to share than if it were printed in traditional media.

Though I imagine all that's a little over y'alls heads.
>>
>>2377508
>Something's popularity is not determined by quality or anything of that nature. Things become popular, ONE included, largely by chance that leads to a snowballing effect.

and to your right, we see the sourest of grapes.
>>
>>2377488
>for a japanese webcomic

>>2377467
It didn't become a sensation in the WEST, no, but it was popular enough that ONE was serializing and publishing two other series off the offers of publishers with his good storytelling and shit art before Murata even touched OPM.

So it wasn't getting an anime or selling physical manga until Murata came along, is what you're saying?
>>
>>2377536
it was popular enough on its own that the author was able to score two published serializations alongside their webcomic before murata entered the picture.

you do know people get paid for serialization, right? a series with weekly shonen sunday, which he has, is enough to support an artist solely off of their work. that's pretty much the definition of success.

when murata joined on, it reached a much wider audience, including people outside of japan, and certainly got him MORE money and success in addition to what he had, but the point remains that ONE can score a successful series off of storytelling skill alone, whereas murata, despite being a baller artist, only gets extended publication when he hooks up with a writer.

which means the point remains.

are you purposefully being a dense motherfucker about this?
>>
>>2377554

The point made: good story trumps good art, in terms of people liking it

Counterpoint: The most popular releases of One Punch Man have been the ones based on Murata, not ONE's, visuals.

So disprove that.
>>
>>2377557
ONE's story: popular, achieves lasting success from audience interest solely off of writing
ONE's story, murata's art: hugely popular, achieves massive success off of combo
murata's art: popular enough to get an occasional oneshot, but audience interest does not maintain itself long enough for lasting success

therefore, when it comes to making a visual story, writing > art.

that said, the fact that ONE's manga was popular wasn't solely because it was well-written - it was also visually understandable and compelling, which when it comes to comics is a skill that combines both writing sense and art sense. murata doesn't only contribute technical skill - he's also undoubtedly the better visual storyteller of the two, and that contributes a huge amount to the remakes larger success. but he's a better visual storyteller PROVIDED he's got ONE's building blocks, which once again comes back to the importance of the writing.

is art vital to the one punch man remake's huge international success? yes. is writing + story more important than art when it comes to achieving baseline success? yes.
>>
>>2377573

So in your world, a comic that has a cult following with one creator and a worldwide success with the addition of another should give not only equal, but favor biased to the less popular creator? That's kinda wacko to me.
>>
File: fkmtlevel.jpg (101 KB, 750x1106) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fkmtlevel.jpg
101 KB, 750x1106
>>2377573
and yes, it's also entirely possible for series with shit art and compelling story to get anime based off their own merit as popular stories, as fukumoto so aptly demonstrates.
>>
>>2377574
good writing can achieve success off of writing alone. good art cannot.

ONE and murata have huge popularity together. ONE alone has popularity. murata alone does not.

without murata, there would still be a popular and successful series. without ONE, there would be nothing.

the foundation will always be the most important part of any building.
>>
>>2377585
>ONE and murata have huge popularity together. ONE alone has popularity. murata alone does not.

Forgettin' Eyeshield 21 bro?
>>
>>2377557
Counterpoint, I guess. The most popular release of OPM have been all of its releases, including ONE's original which is insanely popular for a self published japanese webcomic. Also, Murata's version follows ONE's panel compositions to a tee 95% of the time and he has said that any time he deviates from the original plot, he has to plan it out with and get it approved by ONE. It's the collaboration of Murata's art and ONE's story, jokes, character design, and layout that's made it an even more popular manga, you dingus.
>>
>>2377589
eyeshield 21 had a writer attached along with murata, bro. that is literally my point.
>>
>>2377593
>The most popular release of OPM have been all of its releases

Nice dodge
>>
>>2377596

You said Murata had no popularity. He was attached to a best-selling manga.
>>
File: opm7.png (237 KB, 500x558) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
opm7.png
237 KB, 500x558
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1?utm_source=crowd-live-backend&utm_medium=visit-channel&utm_campaign=notifications

While on the subject, Murata is streaming right now if anyone's interested
>>
>>2377609
read the actual thread of conversation before you try to contribute to an argument, dumbass.
>>
>>2377624

That sounds like a non-rebuttal to a point, sped
>>
>>2377627
jesus christ.

murata alone: no success
writer alone (ONE): success
murata + writer: big success

therefore, writing is more important than art when it comes to succeeding with your visual story.
>>
>>2377633
What solo Murata are you comparing?
>>
>>2377635
his two series of note thus far are eyeshield 21 and one punch man. both were his art combined with a writer. and before you scour wikipedia, hetappi manga, which was serialized for a while, is a debatable area, because its format didn't require the sort of storytelling we're discussing here.

he's done several oneshots he's written himself, and while his artistic skill made them good enough to publish, his writing wasn't able to generate enough audience interest for serialization.

which ties back to the assertion that technically skilled art alone may get an audience through the first few chapters, but will not keep them, while writing alone will keep them to the end even if the art is shit on a shit sandwich.
>>
>>2377647
>he's done several oneshots he's written himself


I'm pretty sure he didn't, Murata doesn't write.

He's an illustrator. Don't say he's not popular for something he doesn't even do.
>>
>>2377662
okay, we've gotten to the point where you're refuting actual facts.
>>
>>2377667
show me which One shots he did alone then.
>>
>>2377671
does your particular brand of mental retardation come with the inability to use basic search functions?
>>
>>2377196

"Here are the facts everybody.
Writing is easy.
Drawing is hard.
I think if two people collaborate on making a comic, one writing, the other drawing, the writer should be forced to serve as the artist's butler to even the score."

-Andrew Hussie
>>
>>2377827
>Andrew fucking Hussie calls writing easy
I don't know whether to laugh because he's the literal Kubo of webcomics, or cry because his reader base buys into his bullshit
>>
>>2377854
Writing IS fucking easy...relatively speaking. The fact is even in the holistic sense it's easier to be a good writer than a good artist and the "act" of writing itself (which I suspect is what this person is speaking about, specifically) is astronomically less laborious than drawing or painting is. We spend our entire lives reading and writing, formal writing is a step up from something like say, this post itself, but not much. To become proficient in visual art many people have to basically reinvent themselves, whereas with writing you're just refining a pre-existing ability.
>>
>>2364479
>>2363300
Never post on /ic/ again.
>>
>>2377865
Lmfao, are you retarded or simply uneducated? What books do you read, just wondering? Writing as a craft has nothing to do with casual writing. Do you take into account stylistics and rhythm when you call somebody a faggot on 4chan? Do you take into account the incredibly complex task of storytelling?
>>
>>2377827
cool quote. has nothing to do with the point that writing will always be more important than art when it comes to getting a dedicated audience for your visual story, but i'm sure it made you feel very validated.
>>
>>2377880
>Do you take into account stylistics and rhythm when you call somebody a faggot on 4chan?

>Do you take into account the incredibly complex task of storytelling?

I absolutely do

>>2377890
I don't dispute that writing is more impactful than visual art. In fact, music is more impactful than visual art too, that doesn't make either "harder".
>>
>>2377890

I've never been one for mass-appeal, just quality. If writing is the most important part to your visual art then you're PROBABLY pretty boring.

"Hey, what was your favorite part of that Batman comic? Was it the dynamic lighting when Batman first appeared? How maniacal Joker looked? How sexy Harley looked? The staging during the fight with the crooks?"

"No, it was when Batman said"

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>2377854

> kubo of webcomics

Who is Kubo? Google keeps pulling up that upcoming animated film.
>>
File: our_bahay_kubo.jpg (107 KB, 896x664) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
our_bahay_kubo.jpg
107 KB, 896x664
>>2377916
>>
File: 002.jpg (261 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
002.jpg
261 KB, 1720x1236
>>2363061
>not Boros arc
>>
File: 004.jpg (290 KB, 1720x1236) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
004.jpg
290 KB, 1720x1236
>>2377990
>>
>>2377916
presuming he means tite kubo, artist of "bleach"
>>
>>2377995

not a fan of bleach, but what is exactly wrong with it? same thing with one piece, why is that artist considered bad?
>>
>>2378025

Because insecure people can't just say "I don't like it"; they have to demonstrably "prove" that something they dislike is "objectively" bad.
>>
File: 1439235562845.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1439235562845.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>2372780
>he draws this for outs
>you look at it for 5 secs max when reading
>>
>>2378093
That applies to all art, especially digital.
>>
>>2378093
the amount of people looking at it for 5 seconds combined would go well over 5 hours.
>>
>>2377611
>professional artist posting stream of his own production
> See something subtle but inadvertently unlocks new level of understanding on what it means to be professional.

You changed my life.
>>
>>2377827
I couldn't disagree more. Writing well told, well structured but organic stories is really hard. Playing with the form of storytelling
In a professional setting, It takes a room of writers to fix plot problems. It takes several drafts to make something even remotely funny to half the audience.
But I concede drawing is hard as well. All visual stuff is hard and needs a lifetime to master.
Whoever can say that writing is easy probably doesn't write well.
>looks up andrew hussie
Yeah, he wouldn't understand. He's writing for a webcomic that plays with form over content (which is cool) but is ultimately about memes that does hard resets on character deaths, and jumps between 16+ characters to stave off plot death. There aren't any commitments (character resurrections and retcons), and hundreds and hundreds of 'pages' has no consideration for it's audience. Drop him in a writers room and he'd be washed the fuck out. If this were a tv show, a novel, a movie, audiences will leave in droves.

HOWEVER Here's my other concession. Those who divorce the importance of writing from art and vice versa, will make their storytelling suffer as a whole. A masterwork would need those two aspects so intertwined that if one suffers it's experience falters.
>>
Is there a modern anatomy book to read?
>>
>>2378167
Wrong thread?
>>
>>2375848
>loli

4chan has warped your mind to the point where you call any cute adult women a 'loli'
>>
>>2377890
"a picture says a thousand words" exists for a reason

but a comic is a story and writing quality matters there. but i feel people underestimate the impact good art can have when coupled with strong writing. a comic is it's own medium
>>
>>2375394
What's with the hand wraps?
>>
File: 1454373880645.jpg (53 KB, 907x718) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454373880645.jpg
53 KB, 907x718
>>2363061
>there are people on ic right now that thinks this looks good
>there are people that read this manga and think it's actually good
>>
>>2378056
underrated post
>>
>>2378519
Please post something good. Not even mad, I just want to see something of superior taste, I need some inspiration today.
>>
>>2378519
Your opinion is wrong.
>>
>>2363061

It really doesn't seem all that impossible, he's just skilled.
>>
>>2378519
If you think this doesn't look good then you simply don't know anything about drawing and inking.

Idiots like you need to understand that having a contrarian opinion about objectively very good artists doesn't make you look edgy and cool, it just makes you look like someone who doesn't know the first thing about art. Judginy by your animu reaction image, I'm guessing you are one of the crossposting weebs from /a/ where it's cool to hate Murata and OPM, but that doesn't change the fact that he's an objectively great draughtsman.
>>
>>2378519
>>>/a/
>>
File: 1452859026024.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452859026024.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>2378732
While OPM is indeed shit, the art isn't really any better. The fact that you guys are impressed when you shit on western artists with similar skill is pretty confusing
>>
File: 1450332461977.jpg (86 KB, 300x263) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450332461977.jpg
86 KB, 300x263
>>2363123
capped
>>
File: 1450548757784.jpg (255 KB, 500x498) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450548757784.jpg
255 KB, 500x498
>>2363123
I miss when arrogant fucks with no skill like these had literally no breathing room on /ic/

What happened?
>>
File: 1454194759076.png (104 KB, 554x456) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454194759076.png
104 KB, 554x456
>>2378732
>>2378788
OPM is indeed shit 2bh pham

Mob Psycho 100 is a billion times better even with "worse" art. Though even then it's inspiring as fuck.
>>
>>2378989
I want to not discuss that specific mango's quality for a second: does /a/ think "unpopular" equals "better"? In fact it's probably all of 4chan. I've been here for years, and every single time something gets popular, a less popular equivalent gets love from this place while the popular thing gets bashed. I still wonder why.
>>
>>2378788
Outside of their specific threads I usually see eastern art shit more frequently, although I assume that occurs as a contrarian response to its popularity on this site.
>>
File: 1431511489788.jpg (36 KB, 479x492) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1431511489788.jpg
36 KB, 479x492
>>2379022
>>2379114
It's to keep the normal fags on reddit off of here. Anything that isn't moe or harem shit is generally disliked by /a/, don't worry about it too much, /a/ has shit taste anyways.
>>
>>2379122
But /a/ hates harem and moe anime. It's all about the shoujo and meta anime now.
>>
>>2375799
Depends, the guy who wrote/draws berserk will be remembered. Murata, will also be remembered on the quality that is churned out. Also, even though it is entertainment, it's a bit of a windo to their mind.
>>
>>2377196
>good writing and strong visual storytelling will trump amazing art every time.

So you mean both things that OPM dosnt have?
Since, kid, lets get real here. I like opm, but its a silly webcomic with plot as dumb incoherent and directionless as any other comedy manga.
Hell its not even good by webcomic standards when you got shit like unsounded one click away.

What OPM does have is a typical premise of a shonen title and a bit of originality in its realization of some of typical shonen trends. Still it falls flats on its face as ether a deconstruction of the genre like some delusional fans claim or a coherent narrative by itself. Characterization often makes no sense and is contradictory for not only the main cast but also for supporting characters, the pacing is all over the place and i cant even remember when was the last time we saw Genos in Ones version. A year ago? Two? It was way before sisters arc, somewhere mid Garou arc like 40 chapters ago. If you cant even menage your main cast properly what kind of storyteller are you?

Opm is an example of what a good artists can do with mediocre title, since if you didnt know Murata was the only thing that kept the series alive as One planned to drop it.
But all said i do like it, i really like the premise and the humor if not the unreached potential of this series.
>>
>>2381061
> A year ago? Two? It was way before sisters arc, somewhere mid Garou arc like 40 chapters ago. If you cant even menage your main cast properly what kind of storyteller are you?

He was here and talking in the last chapter of the Garou arc retard.
>>
>>2379185
I am really enjoying the meta animu. It feels fresh.... can't wait for it to be overdone (it's already getting there).
>>
>>2381067
By was talking you mean was shown for one panel on one page in the background with the rest of downed heroes?

The last time Genos was up was chapter 73, 42 chapters ago way over 2 years ago.
He was mysteriously absent from post Garou city mini arc and from sister arc.

Yep, the guy who seemed to be the integral part of this webseries from chapter 5 didnt make an appearance in over 2 years and 1/3 of the entire webcomic. And its not like he was killed off or anything, hes just .. not there. Like puff, evaporated into thin air and the plot left him behind.

So anybody who calls OPM well written is a fucking shiteating moron.
>>
>>2381113
He talked several lines, and also had a omake chapter, tha's far enough, I would a hundred times prefer him to disapear for the other S heroes.

So basically, it's shit because your favorite faggot character isn't always the center of the attention even though he had so much sceentime until now? Sure retard.
>>
>>2381119
Its story is shit because One cant even find a palce in it for the characters he introduces ( especially when its a guy who was the main focus of the series next to Saitama for over half of it ) and his lack of any clue where hes going with this series shows more and more.
And since One lacks the dedication to even update it escalating it even further. Hes been a professional managaka for 4 years now ever since Murata got him a job, and still he cant be assed to ether update regularly or put the series on a hiatus.

But hey, you are right.
Saitama had also plenty of "screentime" by now, lets just drop him altogether and focus on Sonic instead, the one punch thing got boring already anyway. Right?

Is it so hard to string together an non retarded argument that makes any sense at all? Why are shonen fans being such insufferable morons.
>>
>>2381126
> Saitama had also plenty of "screentime" by now, lets just drop him altogether and focus on Sonic instead, the one punch thing got boring already anyway. Right?

Saitama barel had an screentime in the MA arc and it was still he best arc of the serie, he's the MC but that just shows having constant screentime isn't necessary.

> Why are shonen fans being such insufferable morons.

> OPM
> shonen

>And since One lacks the dedication to even update it escalating it even further. Hes been a professional managaka for 4 years now ever since Murata got him a job, and still he cant be assed to ether update regularly or put the series on a hiatus.


Maybe because the webcomic is still just a fucking hobby while he has MP100, a weekly manga, to work on?


Kill yourself.
>>
>>2363626
>If you don't know some gook you should probably just leave and never draw again.
God, you fucking weaboos are the worst.
Go back to watching anime and playing video games.
>>
>>2381130
>> OPM
>> shonen
its aimed at male teens with little violence no sexualization and little female cast
its literally shonen
Murata version could be argued to be seinen as it ramps up the violence and sexualization of female character and monsters, but still not enough i would say
>Maybe because the webcomic is still just a fucking hobby while he has MP100, a weekly manga, to work on?
a hobby thats the main source of his popularity and success
Murata intentionally slowing down not to catch up too One too quick and have material for few more years, but he can do it only so much

neglecting your main source of success isnt just irresponsible but an insult to Murata who worked so hard and helped so much to make OPM a global success its now
"its just a hobby" some fans fart out dosnt even apply anymore, its his job for years now
>>
>>2381446
>a hobby thats the main source of his popularity and success

That's the manga, not the webcomic. Continuing the latter is like doing the storyboard even though there is already easily 7 years worth of content. He has no reason to do it aside from when he feel like it, focusing on his other manga which he actually have to release weekly is way more logical.

Also, he IS working on OPM. He does the new content and discusses about periodically with Murata. He's payed once Murata draws a page out of his. He also helped for the Anime.


You don't even fucking know what you're talking about, stop bitching.
>>
>>2378493
less friction on the hand.
>>
>>2378093
SO? IT ALL STILL GOES INTO YOUR BRAIN YOU DUMB FROGFUCK
>>
>>2383012
less smudging as well
Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 36
Thread DB ID: 491725



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.