[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a learning process, is it okay to copy?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1393804659192.jpg (78KB, 492x390px) Image search: [Google]
1393804659192.jpg
78KB, 492x390px
As a learning process, is it okay to copy?
>>
If you aren't just training yourself to be a human copy machine, yea copying someones art to try to understand how they got certain effects, or copying a reference are both totally reasonable
>>
>>2362884

This + mileage, for an absolute beginner doing 100% copies of other drawings is a good way to get yourself to learn and you can train making confident lines. Make sure to mix it in with your other exercises though once you are semi competent
>>
Yes.

Most people tend to call their copying "studies" but there are tons of people who just duplicate a reference or art they like.
You can learn a lot from doing it, but as someone who's pretty good at copying from reference right now and still garbage at drawing from imagination, I can assure you that getting good at one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other. Practice both. Lots of studies, if you're critical, will help inform your imagination drawings and build you visual library though.
>>
File: bonjwa.jpg (61KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
bonjwa.jpg
61KB, 437x437px
how can you draw what's in your mind

if you can't even draw what's in front of you

think about it anon
>>
>>2362932
pure and simple
>>
>>2362874

Not only is it ok, it is required.
>>
Not OP but I got a similar question

does literally tracing something do any good?
>>
>>2363106

no
>>
>>2363106

Yes, absolutely. As long as you try to understand the forms you are tracing. You can most definitely expand your visual library by tracing alone. Proko has tracing in his courses as a standard excercise.
>>
NO RULES JUST TOOLS
>>
>>2362874
A lot of people on this site recommend "drawing on the right side of the brain", yet admonish people for drawing from reference, when in the very first chapter (pg 17 in 4th edition) it says:

This tyranny of the symbol system explains in large part why people untrained in drawing continue to produce "childish" drawings right into adulthood and even old age. What you will learn is how to set your symbol system aside and accurately draw what you see. This training in perceptual skills - how to see and draw what is actually "out there" - is the rock bottom "ABC" of drawing. It is necessarily (or at least ideally) learned before progressing to imaginative drawing, painting, or sculpture.

Kinda says it all really.
>>
>>2363163
wow this might be the most helpful comment ive ever read on this site. thank you anon
>>
>>2362932
Jayden please
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.